Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50665 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Sorry to say this but your friend has problems.
Any parent that demands even one naira as bride price can keep their daughters.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Dhelake: 3:07pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
Your friend na cash cow?? Abi himself don form richman for them .. Cos d demands are jst too ridiculous
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by abbakacici: 3:08pm On May 15, 2013
Chad President Pays $26 Million Dowry Sudan bride
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by myOGAonTOP: 3:09pm On May 15, 2013
somewhere in Imo State (no kidding):
400 iron buckets
600 yam tubers
2.3 million
21 pieces of wax wrapper
14 pieces of hollandis
20 cartons of green soap, cream and face powder
4 cartons of hot drinks
?? Cartons of beer, malt and mineral (cant remember the exact number. It was in the second list)
1 Calabash of kolanut
3 jars of alligator pepper
28 yards of lace
shoes, bags , jewelleries, scarves for mama
lion head shirt, cap, staff and shoes for papa
etc. This was for the first list.

We (and the girl's siblings) protested but the groom told us to chill. He was like he was going to use his savings and settle up for everything . He paid for EVERYTHING on those two lists and took his bride home. He warned the in-laws never to call him or step into his house. That was it. The guy never told anyone bout his job at agip until we came for his house warming party.
I dont know what most communities think a bride price is. Is it a sale of a commodity or an alliance with another family?

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by 50calibre(m): 3:09pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
Pure lie. Anambra's bride price is not expensive. Get your facts right.
It is the Imo people that theirs is on the high side I think?

Tell him. Anambra don't seek to financially milk suitor of their daughters. However marrying from IMO state deals a fatal blow to the pockets.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by SamConquer(m): 3:09pm On May 15, 2013
Idoma Girls From Benue Are Among The Best People You Can Get Married To...Bride Price Cheap,Wife Get Sense...That Is You pay Less For More

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bolaino(m): 3:09pm On May 15, 2013
@op, you funny ooo, is that what u call ridiculous? I'm sure you're an ibo girl and you're trying to rationalize the absurd amount of money your people collect as bride price, these cultures are cultures that place emphasis on human dignity,
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Baawaa(m): 3:09pm On May 15, 2013
Akshow: Mine is not really a bride price but it was ridiculous all the same. It was when my friend got married. I dont actually know the bride price my friend paid but after that, the girl's father demanded a hundred crate of beer. It wasn't only ridiculous, it was freakin hilarious and annoying at same time. Another one i experienced was that after all the traditional engagement and bride price, the father of the bride refuse to release his daughter on the wedding day insisting they must pay him additional 100k I'm like Whatdaphuck! Its your daughter's wedding not a wind fall. Come see as the bride mama and sister of the bride de beg this stubborn mule. The man kalla collect the money o.
The man want to open beer parlor!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Fussbot: 3:10pm On May 15, 2013
Dat imo state na die o...my broda's 4wend paid 800,000....na in cus am wey be sae if u jst toast dia wife lik dis..den fit kil u...d most annoying thing be sae..most of dis imo men no dey allow dia wife work(maybe 4 my area sha)..4 sae na me ehn u go work my money bak 4 me o....but den dey 5n sha....yorubas no dey collect money....

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by pippen213(m): 3:10pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos

That's not totally true except if they re too money conscious. It depends on the family
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Telthetruth(m): 3:11pm On May 15, 2013
please peruse the list below.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 3:13pm On May 15, 2013
timpaker:
Mbaise bride price na die!!!! U pay higher if d bride is graduate and u pay highest if she is a medical doctor or a pharmacist...
I and my friend ran away... Finally, Tiv (benue state is cheaper) lured us over with just 10k. Can u beat that? Na dia I dey target now but work no go gree persin. Mtcheeew!
I've heard about the ridiculous and high bride price of Mbaise people. They are not doing their youths any good. That type of tradition is old school and it's high time their youth rose up against such tradition.
This high cost will definitely debar them from getting married quick in this present Nigeria.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by BarryX(m): 3:13pm On May 15, 2013
jeddyMay: In my family(Isoko Peeps), we usually return the bride price, take Say 100 or less to d oldest in our clan(if the wedding was not done in our home town or if the oldest person is nt in attendance) as a sign that their daughter was actually married properly.
#100?? Wow Jeddy can we start something ! I've always pictured myself getting married to an Isoko in my dreams: What ya say? ***smiles**

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Fussbot: 3:13pm On May 15, 2013
myOGAonTOP: somewhere in Imo State (no kidding):
400 iron buckets
600 yam tubers
2.3 million
21 pieces of wax wrapper
14 pieces of hollandis
4 cartons of hot drinks
?? Cartons of beer, malt and mineral (cant remember the exact number. It was in the second list)
1 Calabash of kolanut
28 yards of lace

We (and the girl's siblings) protested but the groom told us to chill. He was like he was going to use his savings and settle up for everything . He paid for EVERYTHING on those two lists and took his bride home. He warned the in-laws never to call him or step into his house. That was it. The guy never told anyone bout his job at agip until we came for his house warming party.
I dont know what most communities think a bride price is. Is it a sale of a commodity or an alliance with another family?
ha!almost 4m??*i have died*
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Baawaa(m): 3:14pm On May 15, 2013
myOGAonTOP: somewhere in Imo State (no kidding):
400 iron buckets
600 yam tubers
2.3 million
21 pieces of wax wrapper
14 pieces of hollandis
4 cartons of hot drinks
1 Calabash of kolanut
28 yards of lace

This family want to open a mini super market grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by tessyade: 3:15pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
Pure lie. Anambra's bride price is not expensive. Get your facts right.
It is the Imo people that theirs is on the high side I think?
You are correct. My wife is from Anambra and i can boldly tell you that the bride price of Anambra is one of the cheapest in igbo land.

5 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Mercyu1(f): 3:17pm On May 15, 2013
Do u guys prefer where u will get 24 slokes of cane?lol

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 3:17pm On May 15, 2013
Fussbot: ha!almost 4m??*i have died*
You will not die but live grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Krinel(f): 3:18pm On May 15, 2013
In my place is 50k but negotiable, my cousins husband paid 3k n it was accepted
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 3:20pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80: I think its between Ngwa(Abia) and Mbaise(Imo)
In Mbaise they will offer you one of brides younger siblings to train from whatever level they are,to university level,after sucking your pocket dry from all long list of quite frankly Id.iotic demands.
Ngwa comes a distant 2nd,last time an uncle went to marry there,they demanded a laptop and a modem in addition to a 'ladies motorcycle' for the brides mum.crazie
cheesy cheesy They are not doing their youths any good.
Little wonder you have a lot of unmarried ladies from there undecided undecided
Their youths should rise up against such ridiculous price. angry

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by myOGAonTOP: 3:22pm On May 15, 2013
Fussbot: ha!almost 4m??*i have died*
ve heard bout other weird lists from that state. Thats the probable cause of single moms and spinsters in their late 30s from that state especially in lagos

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 15, 2013
Yomii:
As in so expensive as if the babe go they grow money for house after marriage
u are a muntular du u know hw much d man don spend for him daughter? School fees and feeding from day1 no b beans bros forget ooo the guy way go marry ma younga sister if him nor get 1.5milla make him go marry anoda person cos I know my father struggle to train her ( ˘˘̯)
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 15, 2013

What is the name of the movie?

4 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 15, 2013
[quote author=timpaker][b][color=#550000]
Mbaise bride price na die!!!! U pay higher if d bride is graduate and u pay highest if she is a medical doctor or a pharmacist...
I and my friend ran away... Finally, Tiv (benue state is cheaper) lured us over with just 10k. Can u beat that? Na dia I dey target now but work no go gree persin. Mtcheeew!
If she is med doctor i can pay 2million because i will gain it back
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by babe4chi(f): 3:24pm On May 15, 2013
U guyz re jus screamin IMO state!!! Its nt evry people in imo dat charges high... Where I cum frm,its nt high...
Evestar200: The most ridiculous bride price have heard,, is of the Urhobo nd Esan poeple which pay #10 and #24 as their bride price, because they said they do not 'sell their women.

Esan people even return the bride price money to the groom's people after the marriage because they do not sell their girls.
you think that of URHOBO is strange, wait until you hear that of the Itsekiris.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: The most ridiculous bride price have heard,, is of the Urhobo nd Esan poeple which pay #10 and #24 as their bride price, because they said they do not 'sell their women.

Esan people even return the bride price money to the groom's people after the marriage because they do not sell their girls.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 15, 2013
30DB4FA6: u are a muntular du u know hw much d man don spend for him daughter? School fees and feeding from day1 no b beans bros forget ooo the guy way go marry ma younga sister if him nor get 1.5milla make him go marry anoda person cos I know my father struggle to train her ( ˘˘̯)
It is your father's duty to train her and need not have anything to do with the bride price.

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bakynes(m): 3:29pm On May 15, 2013
Itulah: The most shock and annoying bride price is that of Imo State, which a friend went and they ask him to pay #5million and he was begging them with 2million

Exactly my ex girlfriend is Igbo from Imo state she told me bride price in her place depends on her level of education(Bachelors,Masters,P.HD) and if she is the first daughter so imagine u want to marry an imo girl that is d first daughter and a P.HD holder then one have to be prepared wit 7-5million.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 15, 2013
SECTION A : UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)

Wrappers and Blouses– (George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax)
Jewelry – (Gold plated earings, necklaces)
Head ties and Shoes (Different types and colours)
Hand bags and wrist watches (Different types and colours)
Toiletries (Body creams, bathing soaps, washing detergents, etc.)
Beverages and food items
Cash gift (lump sum) –Ogwe ego
Drinks (Malt & Minerals)

SECTION B: NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE) – KINSMEN (UMUNNA)

The items in this category will be shared amongst the heads of the extended family of the bride to be.
Bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
Kolanuts
Gallons of Palmwine
Cartons of Beer, Malt and Mineral drinks
Heads of Tobacco with potash
Rolls of cigarettes
1 goat
Cash gift (Lump sum) – Ego Umu’Nna

SECTION C: N’MEPE UZO (OPENING OF GATE) – GENERAL

30 tubers of Yam
2 bags of Rice
2 bags of Salt
2 cartons of Star Beer
2 cartons of Guinness Stout
2 cartons of Maltina
6 crates of Minerals
3 bottles of Seaman’s Schnapps (millennium brand)
30 bulbs of onions
1 gallon of red Palm oil (10 -25 litres)
1 gallon of Groundnut oil (25 litres)
A basin of Okporoko (Stockfish)
2 pieces of Goat leg (Ukwu Anu ewu)
25 loaves of Bread
1 carton of Tin Tomatoes
1 carton of Tin Milk
1 carton of Tablet soap
20 Pieces of Morning Rose powder
1 gallon of Kerosene
20 heads of Tobacco
10 packets of cigarettes
5 pieces of George/Hollandis/Nigerian Wax
3 pieces of Umbrella
1 Big Box (Apati)
2 Big Basins
2 pieces of Igbo Blouse
2 pieces of Headties
Gold necklaces and Wrist watches (minimum of 2 pieces)
1 piece of Lantern/Lamp
“Ikpo Onu Aku Nwayi” (Bride price) – Negotiable

OTHER CASH GIFTS THAT MAY BE DEMANDED DURING THE COURSE OF THE CEREMONY
“Ego nfotu ite” (cash to bring down symbolic cooking pot) – ₦ 1,000
“Ncha kishi udu” (Toasting of wine) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Ogo cherem” (money for the inlaws) – ₦ 50,000
“Ego maternity” (money for future maternity) – ₦ 1,000
“Ego Onye Eze” (money for village chief) – ₦ 1,500
“Ogwe Ego” (lump sum) – ₦ 5,000

I saw this at http://www.namywedding.com/articles/8-the-igbo-traditional-wedding

I have only one word to say "WTF?" undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 15, 2013
The bride price in my village is N5 (Five Naira), I'm from Obosi in Anambra State.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by 50calibre(m): 3:31pm On May 15, 2013
babe4chi: U guyz re jus screamin IMO state!!! Its nt evry people in imo dat charges high... Where I cum frm,its nt high...

Yeah maybe where you come from, it's not THAT high but it's high. Maybe other places in IMO charge 3-5 mill your place charges 2 mil

Trust me I have an uncle who married from mbaise, he spend nothing less than 4 mill

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.