Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? (2342 Views)

Any Lady Who Keeps Her Virginity Till Marriage Is Clearly A FOOOL / Sex After Engagement , Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Angeleyez(f): 12:24pm On Apr 22, 2008
It is disputed on whether or not a woman is entitled to keep an engagement or return it when an engagement is called off.

In my opinion, it depends on what (who) broke up the enagement. If the man breaks up the engagement then the woman should keep the ring (if she wants); however, if the woman breaks the enagement then she should return the right.

What are your thoughts?
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by bluehorizo(m): 12:28pm On Apr 22, 2008
Throw it in the deep sea. That way you have broken the seal.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Scopium: 6:18pm On Apr 22, 2008
[size=13pt]The person that provided the ring should keep it[/size]
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by SweetT1: 6:58pm On Apr 22, 2008
@Angeleyes

That is such a good Question. It doesn't matter who broke it off, the only thing that matters is who messed up. So, do you think she should keep the ring even when they a couple of thousand worth??

I say the ring belongs to whoever paid for it. Damn, i want my daggone ring back !!!
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by silentc(m): 7:10pm On Apr 22, 2008
It doesn't matter who breaks up the engagement,

the engagement ring has to be returned to the man if the wedding is called off as it signifies the acceptance of marriage and if the marriage is off (for whatever reason) then it has to be returned.

This isn't just my 2 cents, its the etiquette of engagement and marriage.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by makavele: 7:16pm On Apr 22, 2008
I WOULD GIVE THE RING TO HER
WHEN SHE SEES IT 24/7, SHE MIGHT HAVE A CHANGE OF MIND
UNLESS SHE'S A DARE DEVIL
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Apr 22, 2008
Even if it were the man that broke up the relationship, I would gladly give him his ring back. Why would I want to keep it? The last thing I need is something that reminds me of him.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by almondjoy(f): 7:30pm On Apr 22, 2008
Who ever bought the ring. . .keeps the ring! Period!  Na im money.  No love lost there! Does not matter who broke the engagement.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, you bought the ring you the ring lipsrsealed
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by 4Him1(m): 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2008
some women are rogues. They'd be selling that ring on the black market faster than you can say "break up".
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by naijadiva2(f): 7:37pm On Apr 22, 2008
i was watching judge hackett or one of them woman judge and the guy was suing his ex fiancee because he wanted the ring back. so from my understanding, she was like it depends on the law of the state. most states have a law saying you should give the ring back no matter who called off the engagement but in their particular state, (i think it was Missour) an engagement ring is considered a gift so the lady had the right to keep it and it was worth like a thousand dollars. I personally would give it back because it seems like the right thing to do.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by whitelexi(m): 7:41pm On Apr 22, 2008
The ring should go back to the guy, if he broke up the engagement, then he can demand for the ring.
If she broke up, she ought to return the ring.
But it shouldnt be a big issue, if the engagement is over, its over, c'est finni cheesy
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by bawomolo(m): 7:42pm On Apr 22, 2008
most women would pawn it off
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Angeleyez(f): 7:54pm On Apr 22, 2008
Sweet T:

@Angeleyes

That is such a good Question. It doesn't matter who broke it off, the only thing that matters is who messed up. So, do you think she should keep the ring even when they a couple of thousand worth??

I say the ring belongs to whoever paid for it. Damn, i want my daggone ring back !!!

In certain states (in the US), the law is if the man was the cause of the break up (say he cheated and the woman called it off b/c of that) or if he just decided not to marry her and calls of the enagaement, then she is not entiled to return the ring but if the woman was the cause of the break up (say if she cheated or something or just decided to end the engagement), then she must return the ring or pay the worth to the man.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by ariblaze(m): 8:20pm On Apr 22, 2008
i belive the ring should go back to the guy
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 22, 2008
i believe d man should keep d ring
cos since there r no longer together ,he can as well use it for another babe
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Dreloaded(f): 8:29pm On Apr 22, 2008
jennykadry:

i believe d man should keep d ring
because since there r no longer together ,he can as well use it for another babe

depends on why it was called off dont you think?

if it's mutual, it should be returned but if some sorta "sinster secret" came out then he or she should pawn it
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by almondjoy(f): 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2008
If Na me buy the ring. . .make I leave am for the man for another babe abi?  Please I keep ma damn ring.  Afterall, I bought it on behalf of his broke arse and engaged maself behalf of his broke arse too. What the heck is he breaking for crying out loud if I bought the ring? shocked  

He can clearout with his broken engagement! It's ismy ring and my money.  If he bought it. . . will gladly retrun it to him via fedex, and insured. . . he does not need to be present. No love lost abeg! Is it a matter of life and death?

Shikena! kiss
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by TheSly: 8:32pm On Apr 22, 2008
I dont care where it goes. . . . cool
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 23, 2008
sum of u all u think bout is money and re-selling the ring for ur money abi?
u shud keep urs for like remembering the person if u still luv d person. or just throw it at the person, dat way they know u dnt care bout them or their money smiley
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by AEjiro(m): 5:10pm On Apr 23, 2008
4 me she can bloody keep d ring cos it ll only remid me of her unfaithfulness or the love i lost 4 me foolishness. So no mata wat she shud keep it (irrespective of its cost) or dump it in d lagoon.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by efuah(f): 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2008
Back to sender. . . . hate holding on to anything unfruitful that is of the past!
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Scopium: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2008
efuah:

Back to sender. . . . hate holding on to anything unfruitful that is of the past!

[size=13pt]Yeah! Forward ever, backward never![/size]
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by NaJaHaJe(f): 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2008
Why is are some people saying whoeva buys the ring gets to keep it?

Do women buy their own engagement ring? (or contribute ti it?)
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by efuah(f): 6:09pm On Apr 23, 2008
NaJa HaJe:

Why is are some people saying whoeva buys the ring gets to keep it?

Do women buy their own engagement ring? (or contribute ti it?)
i wonder . . . i will do none of the above. . . why the haste?
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by iice(f): 10:25am On Apr 24, 2008
If you want to keep it keep it, if you want to return it return it. . .

aaarodell:

sum of u all u think bout is money and re-selling the ring for your money abi?
u should keep urs for like remembering the person if u still love d person. or just throw it at the person, that way they know u dnt care bout them or their money smiley

Effects of M&Bs
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by toyin2007: 2:06pm On Apr 24, 2008
why is there so much fuss about who the ring goes to?
I am made to understand 'here' that the Ring is more important than the broken engagement??!!
, and who heck gives a hoot about some lousy RING??
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 24, 2008
I was engaged once, took the ring and sold it. That weekend i went to Yankari with the money and blew it.
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by welli(f): 4:13pm On Apr 24, 2008
bam
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by NaJaHaJe(f): 4:18pm On Apr 24, 2008
toyin2007:

why is there so much fuss about who the ring goes to?
I am made to understand 'here' that the Ring is more important than the broken engagement??!!
, and who heck gives a hoot about some lousy RING??

You would if you were given those types that weigh a tonne on your finger. Don't fool yaself.

Yes you would that its all shot to sh*t but honestly babe you will think twice about giving back that ring. Don't lie to yaself.

aisha2:

I was engaged once, took the ring and sold it. That weekend i went to Yankari with the money and blew it.

At least someone's honest! grin grin grin gwan gyal
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by deola1(m): 4:19pm On Apr 24, 2008
WARNING!!!
if u're not married u've no damn reason to reply this thread, its for the wise not da . . .
Re: Engagement Is Called Off: Who Keeps The Ring? by NaJaHaJe(f): 4:21pm On Apr 24, 2008
deola1:

WARNING!!!
if u're not married u've no damn reason to reply this thread, its for the wise not da . . .

don't be selective. . . . . . there may be some women here that have had engagements called off. You telling them to keep out too?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Faithful To Your Mate? / How Do I Tell This Decent Girl To Run For Her Life? / Heartbreak!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.