Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) (23139 Views)

All African Countries And Their Independence Days, Colonial Names / Top 12 Most Racist Countries In The World / Washington Murders Countries And The US Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by otumfour(m): 8:10pm On May 16, 2013
An international poll has revealed the world's least tolerant countries - with Hong Kong at the top of the list and Britain near the bottom.
The global social attitudes study claims that the most racially intolerant populations are all in the developing world, with Bangladesh, Jordan and India in the top five.
By contrast, the study of 80 countries over three decades found Western countries were most accepting of other cultures with Britain, the U.S., Canada and Australia more tolerant than anywhere else.

The data come from the World Value Survey, which has long been measuring the social attitudes of people in different countries, as reported by the Washington Post.
The survey asked people what types of people they would refuse to live next to, and counted how many people chose the option 'people of a different race'.
Researchers have suggested that societies where more people do not want neighbours from other races can be considered less racially tolerant.

The country with the highest proportion of 'intolerant' people who wanted neighbours similar to them was Hong Kong, where 71.8 per cent of the population would refuse to live next to someone of a different race.
Next were Bangladesh on 71.7 per cent, Jordan on 51.4 per cent and India with 43.5 per cent.

Racist views are strikingly rare in the U.S., according to the survey, which claims that only 3.8 per cent of residents are reluctant to have a neighbour of another race.
Other English-speaking countries once part of the British Empire shared the same tolerant attitude - fewer than five per cent of Britons, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders showed signs of racism.

People in the UK are also tolerant of other differences such as speaking a foreign language or practising an alternative religion - for example, fewer than two per cent of Britons would object to having neighbours of a different faith to them.
Similarly, fewer than one in 20 people in most South American countries admitted harbouring prejudice against other races.

The Middle East, which is currently dealing with large numbers of low-skilled immigrants from south Asia, seems to be a hotbed of racial tension, however.
Europe is remarkably split - the west of the continent is generally more tolerant than the east, but France is a striking outlier with 22.7 per cent of the French rejecting neighbourhood diversity.

Some have pointed out problems in the survey data, claiming that because the polls span a long period of time they are an unreliable guide to current attitudes.
However, a more serious flaw could be the fact that in most Western countries racism is so taboo than many people will hide their intolerant views and lie to the questioners.
Max Fisher of the Washington Post suggested that maybe 'Americans are conditioned by their education and media to keep these sorts of racial preferences private, i.e. to lie about them on surveys, in a way that Indians might not be'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-you.html

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 16, 2013
I'm not surprised about Hong Kong and Asia in general sad
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by otumfour(m): 9:27am On May 17, 2013
^^^ how α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ u doing princess?
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 17, 2013
otumfour: ^^^ how α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ u doing princess?
Am gud thanks sweety how are u?
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by otumfour(m): 6:29pm On May 17, 2013
Miss_3v3: Am gud thanks sweety how are u?

'm great, keep learning hard and staying beautiful my Ghanaian princess.

kiss

2 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On May 17, 2013
Otumfor, Eti sen? smiley

otumfour: Some have pointed out problems in the survey data... a more serious flaw could be the fact that in most Western countries racism is so taboo than many people will hide their intolerant views and lie to the questioners.
Max Fisher of the Washington Post suggested that maybe 'Americans are conditioned by their education and media to keep these sorts of racial preferences private, i.e. to lie about them on surveys, in a way that Indians might not be'.
I think this is spot on and why this poll may not necessarily be accurate.

But overall quite interesting...we already know about parts of Europe and Asia being racist, no suprise there. I am a bit suprised that France scored so poorly, considering how diverse their country is today (unless of course problem #1 cited in the article, that this study is dated and may not reflect current attitudes).
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 17, 2013
^^ you don't know what you are talking about, French are the most racist people in this world, fighting with Spaniards, Italian and Russian to keep his throne

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by JeSoul(f): 9:10pm On May 17, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ^^ you don't know what you are talking about, French are the most racist people in this world, fighting with Spaniards, Italian and Russian to keep his throne
I do know that there has been plenty of history with France & racism...my point is I didn't expect they'd score that poorly especially today (remember the research is a bit old/dated).
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 17, 2013
JeSoul: I do know that there has been plenty of history with France & racism...my point is I didn't expect they'd score that poorly especially today (remember the research is a bit old/dated).
what changed? It is a cycle old generations give that to the young ones, I actually think today is worse.., with policies targeting immigrants etc, you shouldn't b surprised IMHO
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by ACM10: 9:20pm On May 17, 2013
Not surprised that Nigeria is rated high.

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by tspun(m): 9:22pm On May 17, 2013
l'm not supprise
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by 50calibre(m): 9:22pm On May 17, 2013
This poll is hokum. I can tell you that Nigeria is not racist, as a matter of fact, nigerians value other races better than they value theirs. A white or asian or indian person gets preferential treatment in Nigeria. I've seen nigerian girls dating an Indian or Lebanese, and then prancing around like they are on top of the world.

11 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by pipeewa(m): 9:22pm On May 17, 2013
Don't know why I feel this when I meet a chinese. I just compare them with china products(Chinko) we see in Nigeria. As if the people are also fake. By thier fruits you shall know them. Am I alone here?

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Sleekydee(m): 9:23pm On May 17, 2013
Indirect chiking...we no go gree 4u bros.lolzzzzz
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Pdizzle(m): 9:35pm On May 17, 2013
There is only one race, the human race

9 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 17, 2013
Even Shiits in my stomach is pretty aware of how racist Asians are. And oh I love then soooo much
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by juman(m): 9:44pm On May 17, 2013
10 - 14.9%
Finland, Poland, Ukraine, Italy, Greece, Czech Republic, Slovakia

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-

Grouping Finland with those country is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:56pm On May 17, 2013
Rolling eyes @ Bangladesh & Hongkong
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nonybb: 10:00pm On May 17, 2013
White People!! Americans and their media propaganda!! 9ja is not racist!!

5 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nonybb: 10:02pm On May 17, 2013
White People!! Americans and their media propaganda!! 9ja is not racist!!.................................
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 17, 2013
Why is Nigeria pink? A list created by racists what do you expect? It's similar to the story of hiv/aids being found first in kenya. The originators have cooked another story. The list na lie joor.

8 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Brilliance9000: 10:05pm On May 17, 2013
India people always trying to prove they are important even those that are far darker in skin hue than most Nigerians. Very dirty and ugly people... shiiiit, nobody wants to live close to youuuuuuuuuu. Even white people can't stand them in the States. They smell like curry, invariably hairy, look flaccid. And by all account, they have the most unattractive men in the world by survey.

8 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by PrettySpicey(f): 10:08pm On May 17, 2013
Pdizzle: There is only one race, the human race
There can't be only one race, my dear, because I know there is RAT RACE grin grin grin
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by roselynbas(f): 10:13pm On May 17, 2013
otumfour: An international poll has revealed the world's least tolerant countries - with Hong Kong at the top of the list and Britain near the bottom.
The global social attitudes study claims that the most racially intolerant populations are all in the developing world, with Bangladesh, Jordan and India in the top five.
By contrast, the study of 80 countries over three decades found Western countries were most accepting of other cultures with Britain, the U.S., Canada and Australia more tolerant than anywhere else.

The data come from the World Value Survey, which has long been measuring the social attitudes of people in different countries, as reported by the Washington Post.
The survey asked people what types of people they would refuse to live next to, and counted how many people chose the option 'people of a different race'.
Researchers have suggested that societies where more people do not want neighbours from other races can be considered less racially tolerant.

The country with the highest proportion of 'intolerant' people who wanted neighbours similar to them was Hong Kong, where 71.8 per cent of the population would refuse to live next to someone of a different race.
Next were Bangladesh on 71.7 per cent, Jordan on 51.4 per cent and India with 43.5 per cent.

Racist views are strikingly rare in the U.S., according to the survey, which claims that only 3.8 per cent of residents are reluctant to have a neighbour of another race.
Other English-speaking countries once part of the British Empire shared the same tolerant attitude - fewer than five per cent of Britons, Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders showed signs of racism.

People in the UK are also tolerant of other differences such as speaking a foreign language or practising an alternative religion - for example, fewer than two per cent of Britons would object to having neighbours of a different faith to them.
Similarly, fewer than one in 20 people in most South American countries admitted harbouring prejudice against other races.

The Middle East, which is currently dealing with large numbers of low-skilled immigrants from south Asia, seems to be a hotbed of racial tension, however.
Europe is remarkably split - the west of the continent is generally more tolerant than the east, but France is a striking outlier with 22.7 per cent of the French rejecting neighbourhood diversity.

Some have pointed out problems in the survey data, claiming that because the polls span a long period of time they are an unreliable guide to current attitudes.
However, a more serious flaw could be the fact that in most Western countries racism is so taboo than many people will hide their intolerant views and lie to the questioners.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325502/Map-shows-worlds-racist-countries-answers-surprise-you.html
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by roselynbas(f): 10:14pm On May 17, 2013
So because of boko haram we don be racist country ba! mtcheew! Now i know their reports are totally inaccurate!
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Akiika: 10:19pm On May 17, 2013
We Nigerians are racist of the highest order...it's because of our inferiority complex that we tolerate the whites. A pointer to that is how we display ethnic bigotry even amongst ourselves.

7 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by egregous: 10:24pm On May 17, 2013
ACM10: Not surprised that Nigeria is rated high.
This is
Percentage share of people who answered 'people of another race' when asked to pick from groups of people hey would not want as neighbor.
I'm surprised. Very swallow foolish study. Has this been done in every Nigerian city ?

1 Like

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 17, 2013
I don't know where they got the data about Nigeria's attitude towards other races from....

1... Other races are less likely to travel to Nigeria for whatever reason.. If you are in Nigeria and you have a white/Indian/Chinese as neighbour, say YO...

2...We are very hospitable to other races to the extent of over doing it.... I don't know why we overdo it.... undecided undecided undecided

3...It's funny how we cry wolf about racism in other countries and ridicule ( sometimes even kill) people from other tribes..

4.. Western Europeans and north Americans are less racist or express it in a subtle way. It is no coincidence that these regions have a huge proportion of reasonable people. Reasonable people are more likely to be tolerant people.

So Nigerians in diaspora, it's totally absurd to fight against racism in countries you find yourselves in and support tribalism in Nigeria... Hate is hate.

3 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by 190: 10:34pm On May 17, 2013
Nigeria is more racial than even russians or any other group

if you doubt it...

ask yourself

how many of you nigerians can date or live with an ALBINO angry angry weather hes moderator or not

how many nigerians talk 2 albino's
live with albinos
roll with albinos

arent albino's nigerians too undecided

nigerians - r-a-c-i-al beings

3 Likes

Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by crackhaus: 10:35pm On May 17, 2013
Truth be told, Nigerians are intolerant of other blacks...its the whites we just love to associate with.
And BTW, damn those flat-faced all-looks-alike asians, I have no love for γ'all anyways. As for them indians, I do love their women and is it too much to ask they feel the same way... *so sad*
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by jidoh: 10:43pm On May 17, 2013
i marry albino soo.......
190: Nigeria is more racial than even russians or any other group

if you doubt it...

ask yourself

how many of you nigerians can date or live with an ALBINO angry angry weather hes moderator or not

how many nigerians talk 2 albino's
live with albinos
roll with albinos

arent albino's nigerians too undecided

nigerians - r-a-c-i-al beings
Re: Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) by bigx(m): 10:44pm On May 17, 2013
reported by "washington post"

That's all

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

North Korea Joins Hypersonic Arms Race ( Pics , Video) / IIhan Omar, Says She’s Drawing Up Articles Of Impeachment Against Trump / Snake Festival In East India (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.