Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,491 members, 7,793,497 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? (24620 Views)

How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes: A Homemade Mosquito Trap That Really Works / Calf Born With 8 Legs, 4 Ears, 2 Bodies And 1 Head! / Google Buzz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by lobito007(m): 7:08am On May 18, 2013
Attention Entomologists: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz Around Human Ears?

This baffles me as much as it annoys me. They seem to never leave until you wave your hands @ 'em, which suggests that they are not just passing by, but deliberately buzzing around your ears. Is it because they derive pleasure doing it or they just want to make their host increasingly uncomfortable after sucking their blood?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by bigtt76(f): 7:14am On May 18, 2013
Just to tell you they are around and you can't do them anything without risking a slap!

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by tpia5: 9:32am On May 18, 2013
Why dont you google it.

If you want to chat up an entomologist, or otherwise get close to one, no need to be sneaky about it.

Is that what someone told you the field entails- asking why mosquitos buzz in people's ears.

Na una dey say una no believe in education, now see what you're coming up with.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by redcliff: 3:38pm On May 18, 2013
its their wings. It flaps so fast that it makes that resonating sound.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by honeric01(m): 3:39pm On May 18, 2013
They only do that if you have no part of your body exposed for them to suck from.

They do that to break the guard so as to penetrate on the loose ends.

Just like you use smoke to fish out rats from holes when they hide.

The ear is a very fast way to send a message to the brain.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by fckyourman: 3:39pm On May 18, 2013
They can't help it. Mosquitoes' wings make that annoying buzz or whining sound whenever they fly. When they circle your head, looking for a place to land and bite, their buzz sounds louder whenever they're close to your ear.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by Ijiego: 3:39pm On May 18, 2013
What a thread! angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by gluv01(f): 3:39pm On May 18, 2013
Long ago, Ear was a beautiful woman, and she was looking for bridegroom so that she can get married. She was approached by big and small creatures. All kinds of creatures expressed their love towards her. The mosquito was also interested in asking for her hand, but Ear refused to entertain the mosquito, and spoke sarcastically that the mosquito is weak and will die within a week. So the mosquito was hurt by her comments. From that day onwards the mosquito goes to the ear and says that it has not died, but is still alive. cheesy
THat's why

118 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by Kk4(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2013
they buzz every where, its just louder when they are close to our ears

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by FulaniBOII(m): 3:40pm On May 18, 2013
tpia@:
Why dont you google it.

If you want to chat up an entomologist, or otherwise get close to one, no need to be sneaky about it.

Is that what someone told you the field entails- asking why mosquitos buzz in people's ears.

Na una dey say una no believe in education, now see what you're coming up with.
hehehe grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by ifedun2: 3:41pm On May 18, 2013
Dont have an answer for you.All i know is,its so so annoying.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by Kk4(m): 3:41pm On May 18, 2013
gluv01: Long ago, Ear was a beautiful woman, and she was looking for bridegroom so that she can get married. She was approached by big and small creatures. All kinds of creatures expressed their love towards her. The mosquito was also interested in asking for her hand, but Ear refused to entertain the mosquito, and spoke sarcastically that the mosquito is weak and will die within a week. So the mosquito was hurt by her comments. From that day onwards the mosquito goes to the ear and says that it has not died, but is still alive. cheesy
THat's why
hahahahaha. cool story

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by hisxlency: 3:42pm On May 18, 2013
The dirt in ur ear gets their attention

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by FulaniBOII(m): 3:43pm On May 18, 2013
gluv01: Long ago, Ear was a beautiful woman, and she was looking for bridegroom so that she can get married. She was approached by big and small creatures. All kinds of creatures expressed their love towards her. The mosquito was also interested in asking for her hand, but Ear refused to entertain the mosquito, and spoke sarcastically that the mosquito is weak and will die within a week. So the mosquito was hurt by her comments. From that day onwards the mosquito goes to the ear and says that it has not died, but is still alive. cheesy
THat's why
na wa o, All is well

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by Hotdiamond(m): 3:43pm On May 18, 2013
announcing their presence I guess
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by hustla(m): 3:43pm On May 18, 2013
[/b]WAIT!!!!!!![b]

[/b] LET ME ASK IFA![b]

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by thinkdip(m): 3:45pm On May 18, 2013
Think its when they are out of blood(food)...mostly it happen when they are deadly in need of food,,,just as how we tend to get angry when we are hungry....so they tend to fly with aggression...but on a normal day ∂εγ already bit you before u even know...
N.B- dats my own findings...
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by dridowu: 3:46pm On May 18, 2013
I need google
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by NiccoC(m): 3:46pm On May 18, 2013
redcliff: its their wings. It flaps so fast that it makes that resonating sound.

[b][/b]you're right. their wings flap at almost 200times a second and that produces a sound which the human ear hears as a buzz. its almost the same sound you hear when you put your ear close to a very fast fan; like a typhoon fan.
dnt cut your ear when you try 2 experiment wit fans o

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by overdrive(m): 3:46pm On May 18, 2013
Testing d water to know when to attack mostly d females.
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by gluv01(f): 3:46pm On May 18, 2013
Fulani BOII: na wa o, All is well

AAL IZZ WELL...correction...That's my own spelling of it..reminds me of 3idiots grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by ojofu(m): 3:48pm On May 18, 2013
they wanna make sure that you are asleep so that they can have their meal in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by hardbody: 3:49pm On May 18, 2013
THat's why

You took it out of my mouth or hands. But acknowledge Chinua Achebe in Things fall Apart where the story was taken.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by Lakayana: 3:49pm On May 18, 2013
They are in love telling you sweet nothings about malaria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by naijaobi(m): 3:50pm On May 18, 2013
they buzz everywia..its only wen it gets to ur ear dat u'll hear it...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by thinkdip(m): 3:51pm On May 18, 2013
gluv01:

AAL IZZ WELL...correction...That's my own spelling of it..reminds me of 3idiots grin
So are you saying you are part of them? Gosh that's horrible
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by knockturnal(m): 3:54pm On May 18, 2013
Its a way of determining if the victim is awake or sleeping. if u dont respond by slapping at them, then they know its safe to feast on your iron rich blood!
thats all!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by groovie(m): 3:56pm On May 18, 2013
u give out CO2 hence they disturb u.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by pinky21(f): 3:57pm On May 18, 2013
@op shey u know nw. Ve a nc day
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by lernah: 3:58pm On May 18, 2013
Its got 2 be their wings
Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by tonibassey(m): 4:01pm On May 18, 2013
I've had to answer this question severally among my friends. In their short life span of about 14 days, mosquitoes are very wonderful creatures. To cut the long story short, the only thing in our bodies more attractive to mosquitoes than blood is 'ear wax'! If you don't believe, use a cotton bud, clean your ears, leave the wax on it, and place the cotton bud quite close to you where you can see it around a mosquito infested area. You'll notice most of these guys(the mosquitoes) going for their delicacy. Just hope I've cleared the air on this funny enigma. Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears? by gluv01(f): 4:01pm On May 18, 2013
hardbody:

You took it out of my mouth or hands. But acknowledge Chinua Achebe in Things fall Apart where the story was taken.

I haven't read that book. I can't remember the name of the only book I read by Achebe. My aunty told us the story in Nigeria back in 2009. (tales by moonlight) cheesy
Still glad I remembered it. It just sprung up

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Uses Magnets To Prove Homosexuality Is Wrong / Amazing Things That Women Invented! / Panic Over ‘Volcanic Eruption' In FCT, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.