Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa (8575 Views)

Fiston Mwanza Mujila Bagged The Etisalat Book Prize For ‘tram83’ – Read An Excer / No More Commonwealth Book Prize / 2 Nigerians Shortlisted For Commonwealth Book Prize 2013! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by waleadex(m): 9:55am On May 18, 2013
Nigerian academic Dr Sule Emmanuel Egya, who writes poetry and fiction under the pen name E.E Sule, has won this year’s Commonwealth Book Prize for Africa. His first novel, Sterile Sky, published by Pearson Education in the African Writers Series in 2012, was adjudged best by the Commonwealth Prize panel.

Dr Egya has taught at Nasarawa State University and the University of Abuja and is currently an associate professor of English at Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai. Besides poems and short stories published in numerous anthologies, literary magazines and journals, he has published three poetry volumes namely What the Sea Told Me (winner of the 2009 ANA Gabriel Okara Prize), Naked Sun, and Knifing Tongues.

Sterile Sky is a story of a gifted young Murtala who grew in Kano where violent riots exacerbated by his family’s own woes threaten to erase all he holds dear. Stalked by monsters, real and imagined, desperate to preserve a sense of self and the future, Murtala hunts for answers in the wreckage of the city and the book gives us a unique insight into modern life in northern Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by dokunbam(m): 9:55pm On May 26, 2013
congrat
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 26, 2013
Congratulations!!!
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Krasid(m): 9:56pm On May 26, 2013
Good to see another Nigerian writer doing well.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Roland17(m): 9:56pm On May 26, 2013
I am very glad Nigerian writers are gradually but steadily climbing and are being recognized for their works and its very encouraging to know he still lectures in Nigeria, its not inevitable that he would be poached.

Congrats
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 26, 2013
Congrats!
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Samabu07(m): 9:57pm On May 26, 2013
congrats fellow patriot
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by alienware(m): 10:03pm On May 26, 2013
Very young man
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by stolenstone: 10:03pm On May 26, 2013
congratulobia!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by AbuMikey(m): 10:04pm On May 26, 2013
In one statement "Congrats sir!"
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Opey4luv(m): 10:05pm On May 26, 2013
Congrats sir.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 26, 2013
Congratulations!
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by collins123(m): 10:08pm On May 26, 2013
Congrataria!
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by gen2briz(m): 10:12pm On May 26, 2013
Congratulobia
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by mike404(m): 10:14pm On May 26, 2013
Tulations sir
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 26, 2013
congrats.

more ink to ur pen and more pages to consume d ink in ur books.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Emmyk(m): 10:16pm On May 26, 2013
Congratulations
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by dadicvila(m): 10:16pm On May 26, 2013
As no be Tontoh decay I fit bet my dinner(I don chop sha,okay 2mrw breakfast))say the thread no go pass 1 page....Congrats Doc,I hope to be like you in a few years time....time to start taking writing seriously
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by Inik(m): 10:20pm On May 26, 2013
Congrats sir! Nigeria is the literary powerhouse of the commonwealth of nations.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by gbogboti: 10:21pm On May 26, 2013
He is a Nigerian. Point blank! Which one be wazobia thing again. He's not even Hausa. Please! Please!! Please!!! Enough of tribalism or tribal affiliation to success or failure please. Let's be civil when it matters most abeg.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by sino(m): 10:22pm On May 26, 2013
This is a laudable acheivement, an inspiration to budding writers out there.
Congrats to him, as i look forward to read his works.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by kpozite(m): 10:23pm On May 26, 2013
Ehnn good radiance to the stench of BH, NGF etc.
Congratulations Mr Lecturer.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by kingeze88(m): 10:28pm On May 26, 2013
I am a graduate of Nasarawa state university, keffi. DR. EE SULE WAS MY teacher.He is a brillant teacher but he has one hubris or weakness. That weakness is wọmanizing. He slept with young girls at the institution. When he was exposed,he sensed that the school will sack him,he hurridly resigned. All the same, i am happy for his award. I wish him more success. But please, he should stop corrupting the minds of young girls who have dreams of becoming like him in the nearest future. Dear Dr.E.E SULE, PLease work on your hubris.

1 Like

Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by gbogboti: 10:32pm On May 26, 2013
kingeze88: I am graduate of Nasarawa state university, keffi. DR. EE SULE WAS MY teacher.He is a brillant teacher but he has one hubris or weakness. That weakness is wọmanizing. He slept with young girls at the institution. When he was exposed,he sensed that the school will sack him,he hurridly resigned. All the same, i am happy for his award. I wish him more success. But please, he should stop corrupting the minds of young girls who have dreams of becoming like him in the nearest future. Dear Dr.E.E SULE, PLease work on your hubris.

You are embarrassing yourself and all Nasarawa State University products with your written English. In fact, Dr. Sule will deny ever being your Lecturer with this nonsense you wrote.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by sportfeva(m): 10:33pm On May 26, 2013
Congratulation sir. More power to your elbow.
Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by ohaleoghene(f): 10:38pm On May 26, 2013
kingeze88: I am a graduate of Nasarawa state university, keffi. DR. EE SULE WAS MY teacher.He is a brillant teacher but he has one hubris or weakness. That weakness is wọmanizing. He slept with young girls at the institution. When he was exposed,he sensed that the school will sack him,he hurridly resigned. All the same, i am happy for his award. I wish him more success. But please, he should stop corrupting the minds of young girls who have dreams of becoming like him in the nearest future. Dear Dr.E.E SULE, PLease work on your hubris.

Who ask you ? Gosh ! When will Nigerians learn to mind their own business ,.and feel so cool with others success ? Hey Mr man ! Was all these you just ranted necessary?

2 Likes

Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by boron10(m): 10:38pm On May 26, 2013
gbogboti:

You are embarrassing yourself and all Nasarawa State University products with your written English. In fact, Dr. Sule will deny ever been your Lecturer with this nonsense you wrote.
Remove the log in your eyes before attempting to remove the spec in another man's eye cool

6 Likes

Re: Sule Egya Wins 2013 Commonwealth Book Prize For Africa by whiteeyes: 11:28pm On May 26, 2013
Excellent representation from the shores of Nigeria. Does someone know if he is a brother to SAmuel Azamu Egya, former member House of Reps. From nassarawa/ Toto fed constituency

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Sides Of A Coin... / Where Can I Download Story Books In PDF FORMAT?? / James The Lagos Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.