Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your (8629 Views)

If You Need A Well Designed Blog With A Custom Domain, Get In Here / Post Your .com Website Here For Review, Traffic And Follow / Pls How Can L Get A Free Domain Name Not Sub-domain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 12:39am On May 19, 2013
I've been trying to post this for ages(since last year) but for one reason or the other I'd been unable to. The screenshots I made for it even lost among other files along the line.

Difficulty Level: Super Easy

This tutorial is for bloggers and future bloggers on that intend to change the name..com of their blog to a custom top-level domain name e.g(example.com) or a subdomain(e.g sub.example.com).

Why do I need to change to a custom domain name?

1. If one is going to monetize his/her site, some importants Affiliate Programs and Ad companies may not accept a subdomain.
2. Some are usually too long, since they are a subdomain to .com and it may be hard for people to memorize
3. Does not look professional and may be looked at by people as one of those free blogs.
4. Custom domains are very good for Search Engine Optimization(SEO).
5. Changing to a custom domain name makes your blog more unique, I think.

What do I need To get Started

1. A blog
2. A domain name with control panel with dns control
Note: you can also use a webhost control panel to make this changes, if your name servers are pointed to it already.
Short notes

1.What is a CNAME?
A CNAME, or Canonical Name record is an entry within the Domain Name System(DNS) that specifies where a user can find your web pages, or any other URL . You'll use this to associate your custom domain name with your blog.

2.What is an A record?
Every host on the Internet has a unique number. This is called an IP address and has a notation of four numbers (bytes). The numbers are separated by a dot. An IP address might be 50.28.9.216 This IP address is hard to remember and hard to communicate with your friends or business relationships. To make life easier the Internet uses names, or domain names, to recognize IP addresses. Therefore, instead of 50.28.9.216 we could say www.simple.com, which is much easier to remember. This is very similar to having your very own name listed in the phonebook: your name has a number there as well your phone number. An A record is nothing more then an assignment of an IP address to a name.

Changing to a Custom Sub Domain Name
In this tutorial I will be emphasizing on using the domain control panel, Using Smartweb specifically and also talk about other registrars. Basically, the settings is almost the same with all registrars, and this tutorial is just to show you the psyche of linking your custom domain to your blog using any registrar.

1.Log in to your domain control panel
2.Click on my domains tab
3.Click on view details button beside the domain you would like to link your blog to.
4.when the page loads click on DNS management , after the page loads, you'll see a select box=> Select CName and enter www.yoursubdomain in the host text box and ghs.google.com in the address text box, then save changes.
5.Then add another CNAME with a special alias name which would be given to you by google whenever you request to change to a custom domain name e.g 7ibkexqsrgr3 pointing to a special destination host e.g gv-tme7vz5zcxbod3.dv.googlehosted.com
6.Also create four A records pointing to four different google IP addresses:
216.239.32.21, 216.239.34.21, 216.239.36.21, 216.239.38.21 for your desired domain name. Although the previous step is optional you can just create for one IP but it is highly advisable to create A records for the four IP addresses
7.Now, log in to your Blogger Account. Afterwards you click on the Settings tab, then Publishing tab, again click on the custom domain link.
8.Now, click on the switch to advanced settings link. You should see a page with a text box to enter your sub domain name, enter your sub domain name with www(e.g www.subdomain.domain.com). Then tick the box with redirect your domain without www to the one with www(e.g redirect subdomain.domain.com to www. subdomain.domain.com) or else people who type in your subdomain without the www won't be able to access your site. Done.

How to get your special CNAME and destination host
From your blogger account, go to settings. Then under blogger address, go to Add a custom domain. Now, go to switch to advanced settings, then settings instructions.
There you should get basically this tutorial and the data you need.

Changing to a Custom Domain Name
Follow the above step, but when it comes to where to enter the www.subdomain.site.com during the creation of the CNAME record, interchange it with www That's all.

NOTE: Note if you purchase your domain with Smartweb without a webhost account you won't be given access to the DNS manager(that might change later),but you can ask them to make the changes for you. Also, when using the DNS manager of other domain names registrar you may need to enter the[b] TTL[/b](Time To Live) value. It is mostly 4hrs(14400) by default, but you can change it if you know what you're doing, but don't make it short to avoid catastrophic ramifications.

Also, before moving to the last step above, wait for about an hour for your DNS settings to propagate. It may take up to 48hrs to propagate, but the highest have seen is 2hrs and the least is 4mins or less.

The below image is an instance of this done using dnspark.net free service, although with invalid information. This was used cause most domain name sellers don't give full DNS control for domain purchases alone, although they often help make any changes needed. But this is how to do this using dnspark.net, assuming your domain provider won't make such changes for you. You log on to your domain control panel with the seller, find a link indicating where you can make certain changes on the domain.
After getting there change the domain name servers to that of dnspark i.e fns1.dnspark.net, fns2.dnspark.net. Now, that you've completed changing your nameservers, log on to dnspark.net(assuming you already have an account with them). Then, go to DNS hosting, then click on "add a domain". When the page loads input the domain(the one you changed its nameservers to that of dnspark) you wish to add, and then tick base DNS hosting. After that is done, then you should see something like the below image but this time just with the Nameservers records boxes and box.
Then you proceed to add the records, interchanging the type between A and CNAME records and clicking on update all after inputing a record till you are done inputing.

I just managed to show this using two different DNS manager. Feel free to drop a reply below, if you encounter any problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 3:02am On May 30, 2013
Original thread updated.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by yungcheda(m): 1:54pm On May 31, 2013
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 2:53am On Jun 10, 2013
Yung, why? BTW, you dropped the mobile link to your website.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by ProGSM(m): 7:55am On May 18, 2015
Yes, is very needful. I usually help people to set this up for free.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by niceguy7(m): 9:35am On May 18, 2015
Fp material
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by koxi: 9:35am On May 18, 2015
Wats dis?!
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Cymbal: 9:35am On May 18, 2015
Nice...This is actually impressive..KUDOS TO THE OP.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Nobody: 9:36am On May 18, 2015
koxi:
Wats dis?!
Na calculus!

1 Like

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by thomastbibler: 9:39am On May 18, 2015
Nice tips

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by ultrazone(m): 9:40am On May 18, 2015
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Tolzeal(m): 9:43am On May 18, 2015
ARE YOU FEELING KINDA LAZY TO DO ALL THIS ??
WELL I CAN HELP BUY AND REDIRECT FOR LITTLE TOKEN.

OR PROLLY YOU HAVE SOME LITTLE ISSUES I CAN GUIDE YOUR WAY OUT... REACH MY SIGNATURE.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Nairalandar: 9:44am On May 18, 2015
ok
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by gistabout(m): 9:52am On May 18, 2015
I love this...
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by naijainfogalery: 9:53am On May 18, 2015
nice
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Khaytunechi: 10:03am On May 18, 2015
Cool info here
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by emmyagi(m): 10:10am On May 18, 2015
Cooool
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Dollarchap(m): 10:11am On May 18, 2015
Thanks for the info. Everyone that wants to get serious with blogging has to move from free domain name/hosting. Notwithstanding, you can start with that.

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by kent79: 10:23am On May 18, 2015
Alrite
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by DahtzFestjayz: 10:28am On May 18, 2015
BOLAJAJANI. I use Mywapblog.com; how can I use the tutorials on mywapblog?
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by smsdigito: 10:39am On May 18, 2015
good work bro. weldone.

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by omanifrank(m): 11:08am On May 18, 2015
nice here
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by multioption: 11:09am On May 18, 2015
After successfully installing Wordpress through the cPanel, how do I configure the domain to point to Wordpress?

I keep getting the index page with /wp as the only folder. How do I remove this extension?

Thanks.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Warlord3000(m): 11:13am On May 18, 2015
Moving forward smiley
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by lordprosh(m): 11:28am On May 18, 2015
Can anyone help with advise wanna go into bloging
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Harlex(m): 11:31am On May 18, 2015
multioption:
After successfully installing Wordpress through the cPanel, how do I configure the domain to point to Wordpress?

I keep getting the index page with /wp as the only folder. How do I remove this extension?

Thanks.

I still don't know why most people still prefer manual installation of their blogs or cms when u can quickly deploy softaculous to perform an auto installation without delay.

CHECK for softaculous on ur cpanel and reinstall wordpress through it. Am sure u will like it.

1 Like

Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Harlex(m): 11:33am On May 18, 2015
BOLAJIAJANI:
I've been trying to post this for ages(since last year) but for one reason or the other I'd been unable to. The screenshots I made for it even lost among other files along the line.

This tutorial is for bloggers and future bloggers on that intend to change the name..com of their blog to a custom top-level domain name e.g(example.com) or a subdomain(e.g sub.example.com).

1. If one is going to monetize his/her site, some importants Affiliate Programs and Ad companies may not accept a subdomain.
2. Some are usually too long, since they are a subdomain to .com and it may be hard for people to memorize
3. Does not look professional and may be looked at by people as one of those free blogs.

1. A blog
Note: you can also use a webhost control panel to make this changes, if your name servers are pointed to it already.
Short notes

1.What is a CNAME?
A CNAME, or Canonical Name record is an entry within the Domain Name System(DNS) that specifies where a user can find your web pages, or any other URL . You'll use this to associate your custom domain name with your blog.

2.What is an A record?
Every host on the Internet has a unique number. This is called an IP address and has a notation of four numbers (bytes). The numbers are separated by a dot. An IP address might be 50.28.9.216 This IP address is hard to remember and hard to communicate with your friends or business relationships. To make life easier the Internet uses names, or domain names, to recognize IP addresses. Therefore, instead of 50.28.9.216 we could say www.simple.com, which is much easier to remember. This is very similar to having your very own name listed in the phonebook: your name has a number there as well your phone number. An A record is nothing more then an assignment of an IP address to a name.

In this tutorial I will be emphasizing on using the domain control panel, Using Smartweb specifically and also talk about other registrars. Basically, the settings is almost the same with all registrars, and this tutorial is just to show you the psyche of linking your custom domain to your blog using any registrar.

3.Click on view details button beside the domain you would like to link your blog to.
4.when the page loads click on DNS management , after the page loads, you'll see a select box=> Select CName and enter www.yoursubdomain in the host text box and ghs.google.com in the address text box, then save changes.
5.Then add another CNAME with a special alias name which would be given to you by google whenever you request to change to a custom domain name e.g 7ibkexqsrgr3 pointing to a special destination host e.g gv-tme7vz5zcxbod3.dv.googlehosted.com
216.239.32.21, 216.239.34.21, 216.239.36.21, 216.239.38.21 for your desired domain name. Although the previous step is optional you can just create for one IP but it is highly advisable to create A records for the four IP addresses
7.Now, log in to your Blogger Account. Afterwards you click on the Settings tab, then Publishing tab, again click on the custom domain link.
8.Now, click on the switch to advanced settings link. You should see a page with a text box to enter your sub domain name, enter your sub domain name with www(e.g www.subdomain.domain.com). Then tick the box with redirect your domain without www to the one with www(e.g redirect subdomain.domain.com to www. subdomain.domain.com) or else people who type in your subdomain without the www won't be able to access your site. Done.

From your blogger account, go to settings. Then under blogger address, go to Add a custom domain. Now, go to switch to advanced settings, then settings instructions.

Follow the above step, but when it comes to where to enter the www.subdomain.site.com during the creation of the CNAME record, interchange it with www That's all.

NOTE: Note if you purchase your domain with Smartweb without a webhost account you won't be given access to the DNS manager(that might change later),but you can ask them to make the changes for you. Also, when using the DNS manager of other domain names registrar you may need to enter the[b] TTL[/b](Time To Live) value. It is mostly 4hrs(14400) by default, but you can change it if you know what you're doing, but don't make it short to avoid catastrophic ramifications.

Also, before moving to the last step above, wait for about an hour for your DNS settings to propagate. It may take up to 48hrs to propagate, but the highest have seen is 2hrs and the least is 4mins or less.

The below image is an instance of this done using dnspark.net free service, although with invalid information. This was used cause most domain name sellers don't give full DNS control for domain purchases alone, although they often help make any changes needed. But this is how to do this using dnspark.net, assuming your domain provider won't make such changes for you. You log on to your domain control panel with the seller, find a link indicating where you can make certain changes on the domain.
After getting there change the domain name servers to that of dnspark i.e fns1.dnspark.net, fns2.dnspark.net. Now, that you've completed changing your nameservers, log on to dnspark.net(assuming you already have an account with them). Then, go to DNS hosting, then click on "add a domain". When the page loads input the domain(the one you changed its nameservers to that of dnspark) you wish to add, and then tick base DNS hosting. After that is done, then you should see something like the below image but this time just with the Nameservers records boxes and box.
Then you proceed to add the records, interchanging the type between A and CNAME records and clicking on update all after inputing a record till you are done inputing.

I just managed to show this using two different DNS manager. Feel free to drop a reply below, if you encounter any problem.

Nice info.....Thanks.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by nothingdou1(m): 11:43am On May 18, 2015
@ op and other informed members please help a brother I desire to be a blogger but I am a novice to the basics and technicalities.Ŧђǻлks I antecepate ur reply
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by Pavore9: 12:22pm On May 18, 2015
Informative.
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by okeoghene12(f): 12:26pm On May 18, 2015
BOLAJIAJANI:

1. A blog
Short notes

1.What is a CNAME?

2.What is an A record?

Does it apply to blogs on wordpress?
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by okeoghene12(f): 12:31pm On May 18, 2015
My blog is hosted on ,so how do i change it from ****. to *****.com?
Re: How To Use Custom Domain/sub Domain Name For Your by multioption: 12:36pm On May 18, 2015
Harlex:

I still don't know why most people still prefer manual installation of their blogs or cms when u can quickly deploy softaculous to perform an auto installation without delay.

CHECK for softaculous on ur cpanel and reinstall wordpress through it. Am sure u will like it.
Funny you mentioned softcalculus, Harlex. that's exactly what I used to install Wordpress from the CPanel, but then my website still does not reflect the installation without the extension.

How do I get rid of the extension?

To get to my site, I have to type http://www.example.com/wp - That's the problem I'm having.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Difference Between Nigerian And US Verified Non Hosted Adsense Account / School Management Portal For Primary And Secondary School / Park N Shop Acquires Shopforless.com,nigeria's Pioneer Online Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.