Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,743 members, 7,806,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? (15834 Views)

Poll: Should wives have to submit and obey?

Yes: 79% (39 votes)
No: 20% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Husbands Who Demand Their Wives Submit Their Salaries To Them / Ephesians 5:22: Wives, Submit To Your Husbands As To The Lord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Go Down)

Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 23, 2007
Seun:

I doubt it. Inasmuch as I don't like to control people close to me, I also don't like being controlled. wink

ah my heart!! No prob! As Gloria Gaynor sang: I will survive! cheesy
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Seun(m): 8:44pm On Jan 23, 2007
Pele dear. It's all in good fun.

Let's quickly return to the topic: "should wives submit?" Most Nigerians say "yes", including both men and women.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by boyalinco: 8:46pm On Jan 23, 2007
michelin89:

At the end of the day a man will always be a man. It's of no use arguing with ya.  lipsrsealed

And a woman will always b a woman,thats life my sista we are all brought up in different/diverse environments,with different views about life,thats what makes the world go round and interesting wink
@seun,awwww and i was already on the phone with the wedding planner,anyway can't blame a brother for tryn
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by mukina2: 8:48pm On Jan 23, 2007
@topic

submit half cuz complete submission is slavery
some guys can take things for granted . especially african men
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 23, 2007
Seun:

Let's quickly return to the topic: "should wives submit?" Most Nigerians say "yes", including both men and women.

I wonder why women would say yes. Maybe Seun is really right concerning the submissive women. Perharps they are 1) manipulators or 2) better still they would not like to make the man respect their opinions so they won't be at fault if at the end of the day all goes wrong.

If it the first reason then go on, I hail you.

However if you are just an immature kid as in reason number two then I am sorry for you. Aren't you ashamed of yourself? After so many years that daddy and mummy took decisions for you, haven't you still learned to face your responsabilities? To me you are not a submissive woman, in fact you are not a woman at all. You are just a baby who needs to grow up!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by boyalinco: 8:59pm On Jan 23, 2007
@mukinat howv u been
but of course for fullsubmission,the woman has tob playn for dundee united
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:10pm On Jan 23, 2007
michelin89:

I wonder why women would say yes.
'

mental illness apparently

Ironically these are the same people who wonder why men treat women of other races better, it's because they dont take any nonsense. One person mentioned that some things a woman of another culture would say to a man, a Nigerian woman cant cos he'd slap her or whatever, that's because they believe they can. The stupid women make them believe their men can do these that's why such things happen and the worst part is that many of them actually support this nonsense as shown by a few in this thread.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by mukina2: 9:12pm On Jan 23, 2007
boyalinco been good . .

even if she plays for man united . grin
no woman must submit 100% to any man
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by 2Legit: 9:21pm On Jan 23, 2007
After you're married and garnered some experience in that department,I'll listen to you.
I wouldn't seek marriage counselling from a thrice divorced therapist, neither would I hire a 300 pound dietician in my weight management.

Good decision
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Eurphoria(f): 9:25pm On Jan 23, 2007
mukina2:

boyalinco been good . .

even if she plays for man united . grin
no woman must submit 100% to any man

so says muki kiss
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by mukina2: 9:27pm On Jan 23, 2007
Eurphoria:

so says muki kiss

yeah cheesy

will you submit?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2007
phone bills.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Things(m): 9:54pm On Jan 23, 2007
Just an hour ban ?
Admin or Seun whoever you got to ban me 1 million years men, got ur rules right, but
What is it that constitute personal messages?
You mean any off-topic thing results in a ban?

And
You don't tell me what i fill in my profile, its not done, my location is my business not yours. i beg no spoil fun here.
Except there is something you are not saying.
You may ban me again,

@topic
I think as long as a woman can draw a line between submission and slavery, she should submit to her husband.

@ThiefOfHeart, u didn't answer me are you afraid, of a possible ban?anyway if you care to, w8, if we cant talk about meeting here where can we? Na wa oo.
Anyway its a small world.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by layifioren(m): 9:54pm On Jan 23, 2007
@ Seun
wrote:Then why do you pay attention to the opinions of Jesus and Apostle Paul who were never married?

Well, she pays attention to  the opinion of Jesus because she is a Christian and being a Christian means being Christ-like which means she's trying to be like Jesus (Which is God the Son). Apostle Paul gave advices that were inspired by God. A true Christian would not have any problem in being like Christ
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 11:23pm On Jan 23, 2007
@TOH & Seun
Lets imagine u are on the board of directors of your company and a decision is to be taken on an issue, u make your case and vote accordingly but in instances the Chairman has the priviledge of casting a tie breaking vote. Would you because of that say you would resign from the board.
@seun
I have never heard of slaves that have opinions of thier own. Even if they do they cant voice them.

@michellin
I didn't say I am wiser. If she offers superior reasoning we adopt her opinion. Using the analogy of the business situation, the fact that you offer superior reasoning may make your decision to be adopted by the board. At that point it is no longer your decision but that of the whole board and even other directors that were not in support would have to go with it.

Besides I also beleive that the real choice a woman makes is in the man she chooses to submit to. If she chooses to ignore domineering traits and then thinks that they can have 2 captains in the ship then she is in for trouble. My people say pikin wey say im mama no go sleep no dey sleep grin grin grin
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 11:28pm On Jan 23, 2007
For all the men in the house that are looking for wives that wont submit I pray you get your wish. Shikena grin grin grin
And to all the ladies that dont believe in it I pray God removes people like you from the path of those of us that need submisive wives
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Seun(m): 11:36pm On Jan 23, 2007
Lets imagine u are on the board of directors of your company and a decision is to be taken on an issue, u make your case and vote accordingly but in instances the Chairman has the priviledge of casting a tie breaking vote. Would you because of that say you would resign from the board.

What we are asking is why the husband has to be the chairman all the time. In a company, the chairman's seat can be taken by anybody at anytime depending on the way the board of directors vote. And apart from that, who says a marriage must be organized as a company or military group? Why can't it be organized like a friendship?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:43pm On Jan 23, 2007
dont know what you are running your mouth about frank, we dont want your arse so take your patronizing prayer and shove it.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 12:03am On Jan 24, 2007
frankiriri:

@TOH & Seun

The chairman will be wise enough to admit that his opinion is not necessarily the best one. You are continuing to repeat the same idea by trying to disguise it to make it acceptable by us. From your previous post it is obvious that you think that no woman is as wise as you are, so definitely you will only pretend to listen to their opinion to then act finally according to your will.

frankiriri:

@michellin
I didn't say I am wiser. If she offers superior reasoning we adopt her opinion. Using the analogy of the business situation, the fact that you offer superior reasoning may make your decision to be adopted by the board. At that point it is no longer your decision but that of the whole board and even other directors that were not in support would have to go with it.

You are now contradicting yourself. Go through your posts and then tell me if what you have written here is what you really think. In my opinion I think that you have realized that you prehistorical mentality is somehow stupid and so you are now conforming to the modern one. Now you have proved to be wise!

frankiriri:

Besides I also beleive that the real choice a woman makes is in the man she chooses to submit to. If she chooses to ignore domineering traits and then thinks that they can have 2 captains in the ship then she is in for trouble. My people say pikin wey say im mama no go sleep no dey sleep grin grin grin

Why should she be in trouble? Would she become her husband's punching bag? I would be very disappointed in the man! Perharps he only made stupid decisions and that's why the wife had always stood against him. If he should start to physically attack her then he would prove to be more stupid than he already was.
In case this doesn't happen, what will? Oh! A great curse will fall upon her and her generation to come. Yes! *Yawns* Find some better threats please. I am so scared that I can wait to witness this terrifying plague!

frankiriri:

For all the men in the house that are looking for wives that wont submit I pray you get your wish. Shikena grin grin grin

If you were wise you'd also pray to get a strong and independent woman!

frankiriri:

And to all the ladies that don't believe in it I pray God removes people like you from the path of those of us that need submisive wives

But I can see you are not!
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by frankiriri(m): 12:47am On Jan 24, 2007
@ TOH & Michellin
Na una sabi.
Im out of here.
My people say when mad man carry person cloth run and the person begin dey pursue am na im them go talk say dey mad.
Keep insulting me
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:16am On Jan 24, 2007
Men are so pathetic when they turn around and start acting like victims.

It's so embarrassing to watch.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Honeypot1(m): 1:45am On Jan 24, 2007
Here goes this old debate again. Why are ladies chronic sufferers of 'submissive-phobia'? I don't think 'submission' typifies the victor-vanquished, master-slave rship.

Should wives 'submit' to their husbands? What's the big deal in that? And who doesn't 'submit' to another anyway? Why is the untamed rebellious tigress grin in ladies agitated and ever ready to pop up for a kill, whenever topics like this are raised? Why do women find it easier to 'submit' to their bosses, peer pressure, school authorities, government laws, public opinion, website terms and conditions, social club regulations,,,,, but overlook the most important part of their lives Afterall these are all forms of submission.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:05am On Jan 24, 2007
because there's never a "should husband sumbmit" thread

do men not also "submit" themselves to bosses, laws, govt officials, websites blah blah?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 24, 2007
frankiriri:

And to all the ladies that don't believe in it I pray God removes people like you from the path of those of us that need submisive wives

Amen
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 24, 2007
And may all the women with testosterone levels equal to that of men be content with being the"strong independent women" and save some families undue stress and not contribute to the already high divorce rate.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Honeypot1(m): 2:15am On Jan 24, 2007
babyosisi:

And may all the women with testosterone levels equal to that of men be content with being the"strong independent women" and save some families undue stress and not contribute to the already high divorce rate.

Amen Amen.

ThiefOfHearts:

because there's never a "should husband sumbmit" thread

do men not also "submit" themselves to bosses, laws, govt officials, websites blah blah?

Men do all that too and above all 'submit' to their wives also. I believe that submission generates submission, it is a two way thing. Wise women don't ever hesitate on this, they happily respect and obey their husbands and at the end they are the winners
Does 'she stoops to conquer' ring any bell?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:17am On Jan 24, 2007
Honey_pot:

. I believe that submission generates submission, it is a two way thing.

In case you didnt know, the women that are screaming are those screaming against men that DONT believe it's a two way thing but a thing that should only be done by women

Is that really hard to comprehend? Seriously?
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Honeypot1(m): 2:32am On Jan 24, 2007
I see your point TOH, but those guys might have replied based on the stiff reactions of some girls who responded to the thread on the first page with a 'hell no' attitude. If the truth must be told, majority of girls are just averse to this submission thing, and any guy who thinks his opinion must be taken 100% of the thing in marriage is probably taking things to the extreme.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Amjiving: 2:35am On Jan 24, 2007
Definitely.
babyosisi:

Amen
Thank you.
ThiefOfHearts:

In case you didnt know, the women that are screaming are those screaming against men that DONT believe it's a two way thing but a thing that should only be done by women

Is that really hard to comprehend? Seriously?
So at last u r admiting that u can submit to a man under the condition that he also submits.  grin grin grin
So what's so different between this statement and the point made by Frankiriri.
I believe that any man that loves his wife would always want what is best for her and thus would listen to her and even take her advise even though  he may try to pass it off as his own
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:36am On Jan 24, 2007
I suggest you re read what Frank said and then get back to me later.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Josh4ever9: 6:55am On Jan 24, 2007
I feel for the women who are stuck with abusive husbands who tae advantage of their submissiveness, but the fact is nuymber one, if you compare the world population of married couples and the number of ppl abused, it's actually not that many - statistically, not to play light on the situation of the ones that are abused and taken advantage of.

I feel that this is an issue because men are not doing their duty. if they were, then women would not have a problem being submissive, because as some ppl have kindly pointed out, submissiveness is not the same as slavery and all that jazz.

The dictionary defines submissiveness as The quality or state of willingly carrying out the wishes of others. I think that is pretty self xplanatory, it doesnt mean letting a man beat on you or force you to his wish. in fact it is just another word for love, because isnt that love? willingly carrying out the wishes of others.

A way to solve all this jazz? just marry somebody you love who loves you and y'all will be mutually submissive, so it's all good.

I feel that there's a lot of static over this because a lot of ppl go by the negative connotations that have been attached to submissiveness instead of its original meaning which was probably what paul meant when he originally wrote thsi scripture.

PS
This issue is really not that important to be taking personal shots at each other yo, It's not like whatever is said here will change the course of the world you kno.

Be Easy.
Re: Should Wives Submit To Their Husbands? by Easyy(m): 1:36pm On Jan 24, 2007
I hope people are not equating being submissive with being stupid and being a slave.

As a Christian, I never argue with the word of God and it commands me to love my wife and also commands my wife to be submissive.

Someone stated that there can't be 2 captains on a ship and I wholeheartedly agree.

It is not a master-slave relationship but the buck stops at the man's table when God is dealing with the family as a unit. There is as much responsibility on the woman to be submissive as there is on the man to love her.

I have not voted because there is something sinister about the poll being double-edged; as in submit and obey.

The word of God commands us to obey God, it's different from obeying your husband if he wants to contradict the word of God. God is the One to whom unbridled obedience is due.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11)

Marital Agreement / Contract / Orphanages In Nigeria. / White Wedding Or Traditional Marriage Which One Do Yo Prefere?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.