Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,920 members, 7,806,675 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat (2663 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Wife Catches Her Pastor Husband Having Sex On The Floor Of Church Office / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by tjskii(f): 1:39pm On May 19, 2013
Pls help,my 16month old piks things up from d floor and swallows it(dis mornin he pikd up smthng metalic from his toycar and befor I cud get it out of his mouth wth all his plenty sharp teeth,he had swalowed it)I'm at my wits end right now and d most annoying thing is he refuses to eat good food,hed rather pik up stuff from d ground,what do I do undecided
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by ciphoenix: 1:51pm On May 19, 2013
you should take him to a paediatrician

BTW for how long has he been doing this?
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by Nobody: 2:45pm On May 19, 2013
If he can pick up things and swallow,clear ur sorroundings of such things and keep things u know he can't be able to swallow.if he don't eat,force him even if he is shouting.also deny him those things that r precious to him promisin to give him back when he is done with eating.
He will change as time goes on.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by feminineA: 2:50pm On May 19, 2013
He's still young will outgrow it. Will have to be extra vigilant to be sure he doesn't pick the wrong thing to swallow
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by tjskii(f): 2:59pm On May 19, 2013
He just started this habit bout 2wks back,now I'm always sweeping d floor so that he dosnt get anything to put in his mouth*sigh*
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by toofine765: 3:06pm On May 19, 2013
It's not peculiar to your kid, most kids that age like to pick up objects into their mouth. Your duty is to be extra vigilant. Watch closely and keep your house as neat as humanly posible.sterilise and disinfect his play toys often.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by ciphoenix: 4:20pm On May 19, 2013
i believe psychologists call it the oral phase, where interaction with environment is mainly by putting things in the mouth. grin grin when i was a kid i remember tales of other kids swallowing 50kobo coins

1 Like

Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by obyrich(m): 5:18pm On May 19, 2013
Ask your mum how she handled you when you were doing the same thing as a kid. Everyone passed through that phase in life.Happy motherhood.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 19, 2013
tjskii: Pls help,my 16month old piks things up from d floor and swallows it(dis mornin he pikd up smthng metalic from his toycar and befor I cud get it out of his mouth wth all his plenty sharp teeth,he had swalowed it)I'm at my wits end right now and d most annoying thing is he refuses to eat good food,hed rather pik up stuff from d ground,what do I do undecided

All toddlers will pick things from the floor, and put them into their mouths, it's normal. You just need to be more observant, and not leave him / her unattended.

A toy car will have small parts, that make them unsuitable for children under the age of 48 months. Didn't you read the label? Swallowed parts could choke young children. I haven't seen where you mentioned taking your son to your local hospital or clinic. You shouldn't ignore swallowed foreign material, especially if it's made of metal.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by tjskii(f): 10:36am On May 20, 2013
Thanks for your advise people,I feel so relieved,
@sienna,yea I took him to d clinic,the doc says he'll poo it out and I shud be watchful with him,as for d toycar,its not those tiny toy ones,but the bigones a kid can ride on,apparently he managed to open d batery cover and pull out d string,smh
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by Nobody: 11:24am On May 20, 2013
tjskii: Thanks for your advise people,I feel so relieved,
@sienna,yea I took him to d clinic,the doc says he'll poo it out and I shud be watchful with him,as for d toycar,its not those tiny toy ones,but the bigones a kid can ride on,apparently he managed to open d batery cover and pull out d string,smh

I'm glad your son's doing great, and yeah, he'll most likely pass out whatever he ate in his poo, as long as it has no sharp edges.

As for the car, it doesn't matter the size and age range, if it's got any small parts, it's unfit for a toddler. Don't underestimate the strength in a child's teeth and jaws. They can sometimes rip off parts we as adults struggle with.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by greatgod2012(f): 12:43pm On May 20, 2013
Thank God your kid is fine, healthy, strong and intelligent. Its only those kids with the above gifts/qualities that can do all you said hes doing. However, be more watchful and observant.
Weldone, our effort on them shall not be in vain.
May God help all parents.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by tpia5: 8:15pm On Jul 14, 2013
um.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by lyfe(m): 12:22am On Jul 15, 2013
Keep away small and swallowable materials from his reach and don't disinfect the floor with chemicals it is more dangerous. Swallowing germs at childhood stage boasts immunity and this will help him fight infection and microbes induced illnesses easily later in life.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by kreamidiva(f): 7:07am On Jul 15, 2013
This is his stage send he'll stop it with time.scold him whenever he does it n gently tell him it's not good to do that.

As for not eating,talk to ur pediatrician to prescribe a good multivitamin for him. I use WELL KID from VITABIOTICS.

Goodluck to u
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by stevecantrell: 3:12pm On Jul 15, 2013
Your kid has a condition called Picca.
Usually starts as a result of iron deficieny.
Try to correct it with a good supplement.
Re: My Son Picks Things Up From The Floor To Eat by baby124: 3:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
Gosh this will drive me crazy. I wash my hands after touching a door handle. LOL. My kid eating something from the floor is an emergency room situation. shocked shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

Why Is 'that' Your Choice Of Condom / Why Should Women Marry A Poor Man When Men Wont Marry A Fat Woman? / What Should This Woman Do? Please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.