Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims (40701 Views)

Photos Of Bride Sued By Husband For Not Being Pretty Enough / Check Out These Swaziland Representatives At A Meeting ( Photo) / Witches Allowed Maximum Of 150m Flying Altitude In Swaziland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by onila(f): 9:35pm On May 19, 2013
King of Swaziland wants to make me his (14th) virgin bride, says woman seeking asylum in the UK

[img]http://2.bp..com/-5prP6yvPHz0/UZkbow_rruI/AAAAAAABs6E/uWeqQD6kRPk/s400/article-2326680-19D9CC9E000005DC-993_306x423.jpg[/img][img]http://4.bp..com/-IjZWPEp8OPc/UZkbnXL_OfI/AAAAAAABs58/WM87QrQvT24/s400/article-2326680-19D9EBD7000005DC-446_306x450.jpg[/img]

A young woman is seeking asylum in Britain after she spurned the advances of the polyamorous King Mswati III of Swaziland (pictured right) and refused to join his harem of 13 wives.

Tintswalo Ngobeni, 22, fled to England from the southern African nation as a teenager after she caught the attention of the millionaire monarch, a notoriously oppressive ruler known for his lavish lifestyle.

As part of Swazi custom, King Mswati III, 45, is permitted to choose a new bride every year.

Miss Ngobeni, who now lives in Birmingham, was just 15 when the King made his advances after seeing her at the palace of his fourth wife, LaNgangaza. She said she was ‘terrified’ when she learned of his marriage intentions.

She added: ‘He started calling me at boarding school. He would ask me if I wanted to be a part of the royal family. I had to keep quiet about my fears but I knew I didn’t want to get married to him and have a life devoted to the king.

'His wives are kept in their palace, surrounded by bodyguards, and they can’t really go anywhere unless the king says so. The only thing they do is go to America once a year, as the king gives them a shopping allowance.'

2 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by onila(f): 9:36pm On May 19, 2013
Miss Ngobeni was forced to abandon a comfortable lifestyle in a private boarding school as her aunt, who was her chief guardian, arranged the escape to England to join her mother, who moved to Birmingham five years earlier, fleeing an abusive husband.

‘I didn’t have a choice,’ she said. ‘Nobody has ever turned down the king or dares to disobey him, so I just disappeared.’

Since her arrival in England, Miss Ngobeni has become a vocal opponent of the oppressive Swazi regime, where political opposition parties are banned and activists routinely arrested or assaulted.

However, Miss Ngobeni’s high-profile activities, including weekly protests outside the Swazi embassy in London with activist group Swazi Vigil, have caught the attention of the authorities in her home country and she now believes she is in more danger than ever.

She said: ‘Recently I had news that people had been sent from Swaziland to come and get me, which really scares me. If I went back, I would be arrested or much worse as there are people there who are tortured, beaten up or killed for being politically active.’

Miss Ngobeni now lives in fear of having to return to Swaziland, after her first plea for political asylum in England in 2007 was denied in 2011.

Last month, she was arrested and taken to an immigration detention centre after 18 months of reporting weekly to the authorities.

However, after pressure from the TUC and the office of Roger Godsiff, Labour MP for Birmingham, Miss Ngobeni was released and has now been granted an appeal by the Home Office.

Mr Godsiff said yesterday: ‘We were very pleased solicitors were successful in achieving a judicial review into Miss Ngobeni’s case.’
The father of 27 children, King Mswati III was a guest at the William and Kate wedding as well as the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations last summer.
The king’s sixth wife escaped from the royal harem last year, citing years of ‘emotional and physical abuse’ by her husband.

Culled from Daily Mail UK

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:39pm On May 19, 2013
I think its high time they abolish polygamy.

4 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 19, 2013
^^ uh why?

3 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:50pm On May 19, 2013
I know u will argue its African and stuff. but personally I feel if we are to progress, we must not abuse women and treat them like mere objects. iif polygamy is legal, then polyanndry should also be made legal, as was in the old Pagan days.

Other Pagan nations around the world (India, CHina, Japan, etc., who had polygamist hstory) have already abandoned it.

8 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:51pm On May 19, 2013
a man who spends more time in his workplace, rather than on his wifes bed, will be more productive to a nation.

10 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:51pm On May 19, 2013
c.rap Im currently banned from 4 sections on Nairaland. tongue

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 19, 2013
Man , has no effect on your productivity, you can still make a schedule, also no one force them to say yes so they ain't treated like mere objects as you want to paint it ..
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:59pm On May 19, 2013
In this case it is forced.

2 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 19, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
In this case it is forced.
that's not the reason to condemn the whole world, beside it wasn't forced, he made his moves like everyone...he wasn't going to kidnap her, the truth is she wants to go in the West, the best way to do it aka get asylum is to talk bad about your gov, I know them

4 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:09pm On May 19, 2013
ok if you say so, but if she was forced , then I guess its time to step things up.
btw he is a King. it might be possible that she is forced. and I especially didnt like the part where he doesn't let his wives out, except for once a year.

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 10:13pm On May 19, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
ok if you say so, but if she was forced , then I guess its time to step things up.
btw he is a King. it might be possible that she is forced. and I especially didnt like the part where he doesn't let his wives out, except for once a year.
do you really believe that? He is a king in a small country no one is going to hit on his wifes, so I doubt he can't b this jealous....people are always exaggerating
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:21pm On May 19, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: do you really believe that? He is a king in a small country no one is going to hit on his wifes, so I doubt he can't b this jealous....people are always exaggerating

only the Gods noe wats the reality. lets leave it @ that. .

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 19, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

only the Gods noe wats the reality. lets leave it @ that. .
yes. But don't touch polygamy
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:18pm On May 19, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: yes. But don't touch polygamy

hahaha Its seems you take a very "personal" issue in this. why is that, brother Cameroon? grin

also what are your views on Polyandry

2 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Afam4eva(m): 11:20pm On May 19, 2013
Okokobioko

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by onila(f): 12:24am On May 20, 2013
Afam4eva: Okokobioko
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by pleep(m): 4:02am On May 20, 2013
Pagan9ja your "pagan views" are rediculosly inconsistant.... i think its just a front for some sort of anti-religous motive.

But anyway....obviously the problem here is not polygamy, (although i dont support it) but the fact that this chick was gunna get forced to marry someone she didn't want to marry.

5 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by pleep(m): 4:05am On May 20, 2013
Btw that nigga is gross as hell... i heard that he has anal sex with a bull during his corronation Incwalala ceremony.

Pagan9ja, do u support bleeping bulls? its "pagan" wink

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 4:08am On May 20, 2013
^^ lmao

Paganism=ethnicity so if you aren't in the ethnicity concerned the question shouldn't b asked grin
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:05am On May 20, 2013
pleep: Pagan9ja your "pagan views" are rediculosly inconsistant.... i think its just a front for some sort of anti-religous motive.

But anyway....obviously the problem here is not polygamy, (although i dont support it) but the fact that this chick was gunna get forced to marry someone she didn't want to marry.

what do you mean by that? Im talking about a moral matter here. not a religious/spiritual one. dont mix between the two.

1 Like

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Dewze(m): 9:32am On May 20, 2013
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 20, 2013
Dewze: @CAMEROONPRIDE. Bro, pls do u know any school or group in Cameroon tht goes by the acronym UBMLS (i.e ubmls). Pls if u do kindly reply @ mocnirvana99@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks alot.

Any Cameroonian out there who sees this can help. Thanks again.
at this point no, but I will check and get back to you.
BTW are u sure of this acronym? I ask because never heard about it..
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Hysteria: 2:43am On May 21, 2013
in this day and age??
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 3:47am On May 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Man , has no effect on your productivity, you can still make a schedule, also no one force them to say yes so they ain't treated like mere objects as you want to paint it ..
so this girl runaway at 15 to seek asylum in UK because she had a choice to reject the marriage proposal Once the king makes a choice the woman will have no say...if it doesn't effect productivity explain why Swaziland has the highest HIV prevalance rate angry

3 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 4:36am On May 21, 2013
mondi_cheeks: so this girl runaway at 15 to seek asylum in UK because she had a choice to reject the marriage proposal Once the king makes a choice the woman will have no say...if it doesn't effect productivity explain why Swaziland has the highest HIV prevalance rate angry
Mam we are not into suppositions here, her affair doesn't worth anything in front of a judge....calling or checking for someone is not forbidden..I want to believe this country has his law and a judiciary system...beside where are your proofs that he was going to force her? Why is that his wifes don't complain? Or didn't complain when he did his moves?
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 6:18am On May 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Mam we are not into suppositions here, her affair doesn't worth anything in front of a judge....calling or checking for someone is not forbidden..I want to believe this country has his law and a judiciary system...beside where are your proofs that he was going to force her? Why is that his wifes don't complain? Or didn't complain when he did his moves?
the fact that she had to seek asylum proves that she was practically stealing her freedom. Just because the wives' opnion wasn't expressed doesn't mean they don't have anything to complain about...take time to learn more about the Swati culture and u I knw if some of these women marry him out of free will or out of fear

2 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Mam we are not into suppositions here, her affair doesn't worth anything in front of a judge....calling or checking for someone is not forbidden..I want to believe this country has his law and a judiciary system...beside where are your proofs that he was going to force her? Why is that his wifes don't complain? Or didn't complain when he did his moves?
why didn't you answer pagan's question?
What's your view on polyandry?
Now answer honestly!

4 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:02pm On May 21, 2013
I think there is something wrong with this King though. I think he should step down and be replaced.

It seems its become a fashion in his household for his wives to abandone him and run away. apparently 3 already did so: http://scoophunters.com/2012/07/14/king-mswatis-sixth-wife-flees-to-south-africa/

5 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 21, 2013
lorretta u: why didn't you answer pagan's question?
What's your view on polyandry?
Now answer honestly!
up to them...if you lorreta want 3 husbands ,good for u , now I hope you will find 3men ready to accept it....the situation exists in Tibet but for different reason..there people don't have money and the bride price is expensive so brothers or group of men(3-4) put money together and marry the same wife...
Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:02pm On May 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: up to them...if you lorreta want 3 husbands ,good for u , now I hope you will find 3men ready to accept it....the situation exists in Tibet but for different reason..there people don't have money and the bride price is expensive so brothers or group of men(3-4) put money together and marry the same wife...

not Tibet. that is on the border between India and Nepal.

2 Likes

Re: King Of Swaziland Wants Me To Be 14th Virgin Bride - Woman Claims by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

not Tibet. that is on the border between India and Nepal.
my bad anyway you got it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Malia Obama Celebrates Her 18th Birthday As President Obama Sings For Her / Britain's First Gay Dads Are Set To Welcome Triplets (Pics) / Israel's Parliament Evacuated After Warning Of Incoming Rockets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.