Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,874 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? (2195 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by fatherab1: 12:46pm On Apr 24, 2008
There are many yorubas on this forum, so they will be able to do justice to this question. How come it many yoruba people are soooo quick to abuse? You dont dare price a yoruba seller's goods or else she throws you an abuse or even a curse. You dont drive slowly in front of a yoruba driver or else you 'gain' another curse! It's either "oloshi', 'ori ope', the common one "Omo were', or[i] 'moto npa iya we'[/i].

I understand but dont speak the language so dont mind spellings
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by fatherab1: 12:48pm On Apr 24, 2008
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by tRoOE(f): 6:02am On Apr 25, 2008
Another tribalist thread!!!!!!!Shio
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by Nobody: 6:45am On Apr 25, 2008
abuse and insults are part of all cultures. they are there as the verbal expression of rage. you essentially asked a silly question. next you'll be asking: is anger one of the human emotions?
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by fatherab1: 12:06pm On Apr 26, 2008
Is it because you are a yoruba or you abuse that this issue shouldnt be discussed? What is tribalistic about this stacking reality?
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by Nwaka77: 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2008
father ab:

Is it because you are a yoruba or you abuse that this issue shouldnt be discussed? What is tribalistic about this stacking reality?

The fact that you singled out yoruba people. You want to tell me other people from other ethnic groups in Nigeria are not verbally abusive? come and see verbal abuse here in the States. Everything is f***k you this, f***k you that! undecided So, please, do not generalize because abusive people exist in all cultures and countries.
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by Tonim(f): 6:39pm On Apr 27, 2008
Nwaka77:

The fact that you singled out yoruba people. You want to tell me other people from other ethnic groups in Nigeria are not verbally abusive? come and see verbal abuse here in the States. Everything is f***k you this, f***k you that! undecided So, please, do not generalize because abusive people exist in all cultures and countries.

Well said Nwaka77 wink
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by Cadet(f): 7:10pm On Apr 27, 2008
This again? Oga o
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by jgirl3: 8:00pm On Apr 27, 2008
I don't get it when people generalize about cultures.
Maybe it's because Yoruba people abuse in their language more often.
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by Dreloaded(f): 8:03pm On Apr 27, 2008
Just because you dont understand the language of the other people doesnt mean they arent abusing you as well

and verbal abuse probably is part of our culture and so what?
Re: Is Verbal Abuse Part Of The Yoruba Culture? by TopBooty(f): 10:47pm On Apr 27, 2008
Verbal abuse is in yoruba culture but not part of the culture abeg unless it's part of your dialect.

(1) (Reply)

Is Oral Tradition An Enough Instrument To Trace History In Africa? / Who Are The Village People? / What Do Calabar Women Know That We Other Women Don't Know?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.