Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

2 Killed At OOU Student Protest - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest (20126 Views)

Uniben Student Protest For Speed Breaker And Flyover After Student Death / Kwara Poly Student Protest Over Killing Of Colleague / "mapouka 101 At Oou" Abeg My Fellow Nairanlanders, True Or False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 20, 2013
If the police had not been firing live rounds with characteristic indifference, two young lives might have been saved today.

Why is it taking so long to change the rules governing the policing of peaceful demonstrations in Nigeria?

Nigeria: Police to Withdraw Assault Rifles, Introduce Rubber Bullets
BY JOHNBOSCO AGBAKWURU, 26 APRIL 2012

Calabar — The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Abubakar has said that the regular assault riffles being used by the force will soon be replaced with rubber bullets to fight crime.
Source

Rubber bullets are already used in Ghana - Ghana Teachers Strike Again and Police Fire At Kantamanto Traders. Likewise in Swazilland -- Swaziland: Police Fire Rubber Bullets At Pupils; and Tunisia -- Tunisia police use rubber bullets on Sidi Bouzid demo:AFP

So why is life so dam.n cheap in Nigeria?
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by chromoTop: 4:42pm On May 20, 2013
Sincere Bigot: [size=20pt]so what exactly is your point??[/size]
If you find no sense in what he has written go protest next week in your village or school.
why cant people understand that at this time in Nigeria, you choose your time to fight. there is utter disregard for life and the army/ police will not hesitate to waste anymore life. Moroever, there is no such thing as a PEACEFUL protest as far as university students are concerned.
You protest, You shot, You buried. that ends your miserable life.

paparazzi1987:

Oga! this your write up lack reasoning.If the guy was supposed to be one of your family member am very sure you will not be posting such comment.
Moreover,The police can use rubber bullets as a defensive tactics.
If my family or relative doesn't have the right sense to know that in Nigeria, protest is as riskier as being in a semi-war situation, then i wish him well in heaven or hell.
Is it today that student have been shot in protests? even when not provoked the police will shoot on impulse. not when they have lost over 60 police officers in a month. angry
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by StevenJay01(m): 5:01pm On May 20, 2013
obadiah777: I DONE TOLD YALL THAT THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF SORROWS. EXPECT MANY MORE. THIS IS JUDGEMENT PERIOD. THE KINGDOM COMETH AMIDST MUCH BLOODSHED AND DEATH AND CLEANSING. OBAMA WILL BE THE LAST PRESIDENT OF AMERICA BEFORE THE KINGDOM COMETH. I WILL LET YALL FIGURE OUT THE TIMELINE WE HAVE AND HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO BE DESTROYED WITHIN THAT SHORT TIME-LINE. OF COURSE THE MAJOR DESTRUCTION WILL TAKE PLACE IN ARMAGEDDON. BUT IT HAS STARTED. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE FRONTPAGE

What did you drink dude!stop it cos it aint gud for ur system
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Abayomin70(m): 5:02pm On May 20, 2013
FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION
FALSE INFORMATION FALSE INFORMATION

Pls stop al dis tin naaaaaa nobody was killed naaaa
Who d hell is passing round dis information naaaa
The question is kip askin dem is

Wetin b d guy name
Which depatment
Which level
Where dem kill am
Where dem carry am go
Who see am when dey shoot am
Where is the second guy picture that was killed
Why is everybody using d same picture
Who saw him when he was shot

And u see no one no 1 of all dis question and dey all kip using dis guy as DP dat he was killed today
Pls nobody was kill oooooo stop all dis non-sense rumor ABEG

1 Like

Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Sheenor: 5:18pm On May 20, 2013
oga oh.........
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by StevenJay01(m): 5:20pm On May 20, 2013
I remember back then at OAU in November 3, 2004.Police shot Rasheed Laketu dead and claimed students shot him.I lost my sympathy for police force that day.I don't bloody care if boko,Omatse abi wetin b dem name sef or any oda rogue group kills dem in droves.They are better off dead than alive.And to students who think being a student is a licence to face guns;Av a rethink

1 Like

Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 20, 2013
I blame the University authorities...... They too dey frustrate Nigerian Students...

Students make legitimate protest over things like school fees hike, poor teaching conditions, unjust exam markings, female student harassment by male lectures, etc..

We need to reform our universities and the system in which they should operate.

E.g

1... School fees can only be increased say every 4 years or the government should introduce a fee subsidy for student. Justification should be made as to what the increment is for.

2... Exams and all forms of assessment should be marked by an independent body. These independent bodies should also be allowed to send revision guide to all student weeks prior to exams. This would allow student to know where to revise and negate unnecessary favouritism. This would imply that exam scores are fair and unbiased.

3.. Lecturers should not be allowed to sell any form of handouts. Any lecturer caught should be expelled. All lecture notes should be given to students free of charge. If a lecturer authors a textbook and he feels the textbook is vital to his/her student's success, the university library should place an order and stock the textbooks in their libraries. This would imply that student can access and even photocopy the materials free of charge.

4... All student/lecturer relationships should be made public.

5... If you a nuisance to the affairs of the university, you should be thrown out and given prison sentences. If you want to cause trouble or join cults, stay in your father's house. University education is not by force.

6... It is the duty of the lecturer to teach and that should solely be his/her business. What car a student drives, what he/she wears, and other trivialities are none of his/her business. We want lecturers and professors that are busy with one form of research or another. We need our universities to solve our societal problems for us, just like universities in the west.

8...We want better university living conditions. If government can't build suitable hostels for students, they should partner with private property developers.

RIP the dead.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Atonto: 6:01pm On May 20, 2013
ZUBY77: The organizers of the protest are not prudent. Nigeria is in a very delicate security situation now. The Soldiers and Police are being killed in large quantities all over the Country.. Katsina, Adamawa, Ombatse, Bayelsa, East and West. They are angry and will not hesitate to show that anger with every little provocation.
Students dont also hold anything near peaceful protest. Here in Nigeria, a larger percentage of students believe they are untouchable especially when they belong to all this petty cults.
I was coming back from Abakiliki to Enugu sometime last year and the students of EBSU blocked the single road to Enugu. I spent over 4 hours inside the car while the army negotiated with them. They broke bottles, pushed sign posts down, harrased passengers and every other thing.
They should not expect kid gloves all the time.

This is a bad time to provoke security operatives

Is there any sense in your post...does that give the so much "assumed" trained security personnel to kill student because of protest.... i wish one of the slain student is your brother. Why can't they - the Police, vent their anger on the BHarams that killed them. Afterall, this insecurity is caused by police...they allow everything to come through our border after collecting bride.....go and sleep jor
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by onatisi(m): 6:13pm On May 20, 2013
his point is that this is a bad time to stage any violent protest.everybody should behave
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Exponental(m): 6:19pm On May 20, 2013
Death of d youth seems nothing to d govt. May their generation suffer d same fate IJN.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Tundecool(m): 6:20pm On May 20, 2013
Reason(s) for the protest.
(1) Students Will Now Repeat Level.
(2) All 100l Students Who Haven't Paid Their Fees Are To Go & Re-Take Jamb.
(3) The Cheapest Schl Fee Iz 90k+ (Others Are 100k & Above).
(5)No More 60% Payment, Students Will Now Pay 100% & The Fee Must Be Paid In The First Semester Of Each Session.
(6) Implementation Of Pre-requisite Policy.. E.T.C.....
All These And Many More Are The Reasons For The Protest.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by onatisi(m): 6:26pm On May 20, 2013
Tundecool: Reason(s) for the protest.
(5)No More 60% Payment, Students Will Now Pay 100% & The Fee Must Be Paid In The First Semester Of Each Session.
very harsh policies,but did the student report to the commisioner of education or the governor before staging the protest
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by bamosagie(m): 6:30pm On May 20, 2013
2gbasky22: Jst passing

Keep going!
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by vanbonattel: 7:20pm On May 20, 2013
Wild wild west, people from that part of the country are known to be rascals.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by pioki307(m): 7:24pm On May 20, 2013
@zubby77... Waht if were one of ur relative dt was shot... Mtscheeew
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by mrdino(m): 7:52pm On May 20, 2013
ZUBY77: The organizers of the protest are not prudent. Nigeria is in a very delicate security situation now. The Soldiers and Police are being killed in large quantities all over the Country.. Katsina, Adamawa, Ombatse, Bayelsa, East and West. They are angry and will not hesitate to show that anger with every little provocation.
Students dont also hold anything near peaceful protest. Here in Nigeria, a larger percentage of students believe they are untouchable especially when they belong to all this petty cults.
I was coming back from Abakiliki to Enugu sometime last year and the students of EBSU blocked the single road to Enugu. I spent over 4 hours inside the car while the army negotiated with them. They broke bottles, pushed sign posts down, harrased passengers and every other thing.
They should not expect kid gloves all the time.

This is a bad time to provoke security operatives
u ar so on point bro!
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by deor03(m): 8:15pm On May 20, 2013
Hey Peeps,

This story has been denied by Police and School Authorities.

According to them No single shot was fired.

See quote from Naija info 99.3 face book page

UPDATE: No Shots Fired At OOU Abeokuta Students’ Protest – Police

Contrary to widely circulated news reports that two students of Olabisi Onabanjo University in Abeokuta were shot dead by anti-riot policemen during a protest earlier today, the Ogun State Police has emphatically denied that any students were killed.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, disclosed that while the police was called in to restore order at the university after students there began rioting over school fees, “The operation restored order to the school without a single bullet fired”, he said.

Meanwhile, a government source has cleared the air on the photo of a dead student purportedly killed by the police today, saying it came from a gang-related violence yesterday in Sagamu area of the state.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:18pm On May 20, 2013

Haba!!
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Reachyrich(f): 9:07pm On May 20, 2013
Chai.....jesus.killing innocent soul.d vice chancellor is even in trouble.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by tallceejay(m): 9:24pm On May 20, 2013

His point is the hΧ last sentence
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by PECO4KING(m): 9:31pm On May 20, 2013
Airtime:
not enough reason to kill, if that guy was to be your brother am sure your story would be differnt.

God bless you bros. Can you imagine, the rubbish the yeye guy they talk for mouth. Because the police were killed, so the next thing for them now is to shot anyone who is protesting .
Even before the police were killed in Nasarawa, haven`t you be hearing policemen killing innocent people because of money. You are out of point. Police are trained to protect not to kill the innocent one in whatever situation.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 20, 2013
My beloved university has turn into something else.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by toprealman: 6:52am On May 21, 2013
Students should pull down that school with immediate effect. Why can't they shot criminals like that?
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by DexxyAlebs(m): 7:10am On May 21, 2013
FIRST CLASS RUMOUR!
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Tundecool(m): 8:25am On May 21, 2013
deor03: Hey Peeps,

This story has been denied by Police and School Authorities.

According to them No single shot was fired.

See quote from Naija info 99.3 face book page

UPDATE: No Shots Fired At OOU Abeokuta Students’ Protest – Police

Contrary to widely circulated news reports that two students of Olabisi Onabanjo University in Abeokuta were shot dead by anti-riot policemen during a protest earlier today, the Ogun State Police has emphatically denied that any students were killed.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi, disclosed that while the police was called in to restore order at the university after students there began rioting over school fees, “The operation restored order to the school without a single bullet fired”, he said.

Meanwhile, a government source has cleared the air on the photo of a dead student purportedly killed by the police today, saying it came from a gang-related violence yesterday in Sagamu area of the state.

Dats d trash dey kip saying.... Fucking Liez!
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by paparazzi1987(m): 8:34am On May 21, 2013
chromoTop:

If my family or relative doesn't have the right sense to know that in Nigeria, protest is as riskier as being in a semi-war situation, then i wish him well in heaven or hell.
Is it today that student have been shot in protests? even when not provoked the police will shoot on impulse. not when they have lost over 60 police officers in a month. angry

We all know that it is riskier to protest in Nigeria (especially when police are present),but i know you will agree with me that these police people are not well trained and are absolutely incompetent.
The issue of Loosing over 60 of there officers is not a tangible reason for them to include themselves in such barbaric act; moreover,they have been into such acts from inception.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by onatisi(m): 8:41am On May 21, 2013
paparazzi1987:

We all know that it is riskier to protest in Nigeria (especially when police are present),but i know you will agree with me that these police people are not well trained and are absolutely incompetent.
The issue of Loosing over 60 of there officers is not a tangible reason for them to include themselves in such barbaric act; moreover,they have been into such acts from inception.
since it is well known that they are not well trained,and that protesting in nigeria is like signing ones death warrant,then why provoke these police guys?never argue or provoke someone that has a gun,he might be tempted to try a bullet on the person
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by paparazzi1987(m): 9:17am On May 21, 2013
onatisi:
since it is well known that they are not well trained,and that protesting in nigeria is like signing ones death warrant,then why provoke these police guys?never argue or provoke someone that has a gun,he might be tempted to try a bullet on the person
This is only applicable to Nigeria police,and am sure that you will agree with me that it ain't right.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by onatisi(m): 9:28am On May 21, 2013
paparazzi1987:
This is only applicable to Nigeria police,and am sure that you will agree with me that it ain't right.
yes i do agree with u totally.this situation is peculiar to nigeria that is why ppl must do things with caution,this is africa if anything happens the most they will say is accidental discharge .
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 21, 2013
Firstly,I think the OP is glossing over the Students' actions;I have heard this News from other sources and they all described it as a Riot,I wonder where the OP came about his "peaceful Demonstration",when have Students' Demonstrations ever been Peaceful? I'm sure the VC would not have called in the Paramilitary if the Demonstration had been Peaceful. But,that notwithstanding,I think it is very Wrong for there to have been live Fire into the Protesters(rioters),I think Tear Gas would have been effective enough.
Re: 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest by Syenite(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2013

I graduated from OSU over 10yr ago. That school is harsh. Items 1 and 6 were in place in my department then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Another Male Student In Tears As His Girlfriend Dumps Her (Video) / Moses Isah: 200-Level ATBU Student Declared Missing / BREAKING: School Building Collapses In Jos, Several Pupils Feared Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.