Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Christianity And One Man, One Wife - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity And One Man, One Wife (5657 Views)

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin / Can A Christian Marry More Than One Wife? / Similarities And Differences Between Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity And One Man, One Wife by CzarChris(m): 5:20pm On May 22, 2013
Please I need clarification on where in the bible it's written that a man must marry one wife. I know about what is written in 1timothy 3:2, but that proclamation was made for Bishops and not the whole congregation. If its for everybody, where is it stated in the bible that its one man one wife.
Ladies make una no vex o, i just want to know the truth.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by thorpido(m): 5:27pm On May 22, 2013
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female(Mark 10:6).It was Jesus who made this statement and He was referring to the beginning of man(Gen1:27).If you study that passage from verse 1 you will see what led to Him making that statement.There was a question of divorce posed to Him and His explanation was to show that the will of God from the beginning is that one man and one woman should stay together till the end.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 7:09pm On May 22, 2013
Brother, good question. Actually if from the beginning as Jesus said is one man, and one woman, He is right. And if one divorces his partner, both must remain unmarried. This is becos their is a law binding both together, that is the law of God, and must not be broken. The only thing that break both partner from the law is death. If any of the partner happens to remarry when the other is still alive, he or she is in adultery. Matthew 19:9 KJV "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."

If he/she dies in that 2nd marriage, he/she will end up in hell fire. Why? Because an adulterer or adulterer or ADULTERESS can not see the kingdom of God.

Matthew 19:4-9 KJV
"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, [5] And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. [7] They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? [8] He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. [9] And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by tpia5: 7:13pm On May 22, 2013
if you're not a practicing or serious christian, dont worry about all that @ op.

no need for long arguments.

its not every man who can stick to one wife- some males dont have the ability to do it and if you lack the strength of the holy spirit, its not so easy.

so, lets skip the emotional sentiment and stuff.

if you cant do it, you cant do it and thats that.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by CzarChris(m): 10:48pm On May 22, 2013
Thanks for the response all, but all is just sentimental stuff.
All I need is just a bible quotation that it was clearly stated that a man must marry one wife, finish. No need for long sermon/preaching.
A passage where it was spoken my any prophet or an apostle made such proclamations. Where it is stated as a sin.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 11:14pm On May 22, 2013
[q uote author=Czar-Chris]Thanks for the response all, but all is just senimental stuff.
All I need is just a bible quotation that it was clearly stated that a man must marry one wife, finish. No need for long sermon/preaching.
A passage where it was spoken my any prophet or an apostle made such proclamations. Where it is stated as a sin.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 11:16pm On May 22, 2013
Czar-Chris:
]

Atl east som explanation is also gud for clearity Nt al understandd bible. Hmmm..
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by tpia5: 11:34pm On May 22, 2013
Czar-Chris:

you do not need any bible quotation.

live your life the way you want, nobody is forcing you to have 0 to 500 wives.

its up to you how you want to process yourself, dont seek affirmation for what is ultimately your own decision as long as you do not decide to turn into some criminalistic element while doing so.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 8:25am On May 23, 2013
tpia@:

you do not need any bible quotation.

live your life the way you want, nobody is forcing you to have 0 to 500 wives.

its up to you how you want to process yourself, dont seek affirmation for what is ultimately your own decision as long as you do not decide to turn into some criminalistic element while doing so.

I can see dat u are agent of d devil. Someone is asking for bible quotation where d bible is against polygamy nd u are here telling him he does not need bible quotation. I can see u are more like one of the antichrist spoken of in d bible dat will mislead people. That guy was created by God and he knows it. Without seeking d bible truth u are doomed. Heaven is d most important thing. Without working in Gods way u are doomed. Imagine u telling one to go ahead to leave d way it pleases him. So if he decides to marry five, nothing is wrong right? Hmmm....am sorry for u. Their is hell fire and their is heaven. The decision and the life u live today will determine your destination. Without Jesus nd obeying His word one is doomed forever. Except you are an atheist or not a Christian, that does not stop one from going to hell

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by effisyman: 8:29am On May 23, 2013
enoough of these argument.

Can someone knowlegable about the bible and the issue at hand answer the OP.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 8:58am On May 23, 2013
effisyman: enoough of these argument.

Can someone knowlegable about the bible and the issue at hand answer the OP.

Wats OP?

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Niflheim(m): 1:10pm On May 23, 2013
@czar-chris,good day to you my brother.The reason why your question has not been answered is because 'the answer cannot be questioned!!!'..............................there is no place in the bible supporting monogamy,but the bible supports polygamy.Apostle Paul,instructed in the new testament that only bishops should marry one wife which implies that only oyedepo is meant to have one wife!!!

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Niflheim(m): 1:14pm On May 23, 2013
@peteregwu, OP,means 'Original Poster',that is the person that originally started the topic!!!
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by CzarChris(m): 1:53pm On May 23, 2013
Niflheim: @czar-chris,good day to you my brother.The reason why your question has not been answered is because 'the answer cannot be questioned!!!'..............................there is no place in the bible supporting monogamy,but the bible supports polygamy.Apostle Paul,instructed in the new testament that only bishops should marry one wife which implies that only oyedepo is meant to have one wife!!!
My brother may your days be long. This what is called an intellectual viable answer and not the sacrasm displayed here by tpia@.
If this is so, what then brought about this doctrine of one man, one wie?

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 9:09pm On May 23, 2013
Niflheim: @peteregwu, OP,means 'Original Poster',that is the person that originally started the topic!!!

Ok,thanks.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 9:21pm On May 23, 2013
Niflheim: @czar-chris,good day to you my brother.The reason why your question has not been answered is because 'the answer cannot be questioned!!!'..............................there is no place in the bible supporting monogamy,but the bible supports polygamy.Apostle Paul,instructed in the new testament that only bishops should marry one wife which implies that only oyedepo is meant to have one wife!!!

You are a liar and deceiver.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by peteregwu(m): 9:23pm On May 23, 2013
PLEASE, DONT LET ANYONE DECEIVE YOU. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE IT TO HEAVEN BELIEVE THE BIBLE AND LIVE BY IT. THE BIBLE ONLY SUPPORT ONE WIFE AND ONE HUSBAND. ANYTHING BEYOND IT IS POLYGAMY, WHICH ADULTERY TO ANYONE INVOLVED TO ANYONE INVOLVED IN IT. BELOW IS A PROVE THAT GOD IS AGAINST ADULTERY AND WILL JUDGE THOSE INVOLVE IN IT.

Mark 10:6-9, 11-12 KJV
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. [7] For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; [8] And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. [9] What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. [11] And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. [12] And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

IN VERSE 8, ASUNDER IS A THRID PARTY COMING IN BETWEEN. UNDERSTAND AS U READ.

Hebrews 13:4 KJV
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

1 Corinthians 6:9 KJV
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by ijawkid(m): 7:02am On May 24, 2013
Czar-Chris:
My brother may your days be long. This what is called an intellectual viable answer and not the sacrasm displayed here by tpia@.
If this is so, what then brought about this doctrine of one man, one wie?

What you should have asked yourself is::: why would bishops and deacons be urged to be husbands of one wife and then the rest of the congregation is left to amass wives like solomon??.........

It didn't occur to you that at that 1 timothy 3:2-6 it was nt only being a husband of one wife that was the requirement for men reaching out for the oFfice of oversight..many other pre-requisites were to be met.....and they are...
teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not
greedy for money,[b] but gentle, not
quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his
own house well, having his children in
submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man
does not know how to rule his own house, how
will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not
a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall
into the same condemnation as the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good testimony
among those who are outside
, lest he fall into
reproach and the snare of the devil

Here is the list:::: a bishop must be

##husband of one wife

##temperate

##sober minded

## must be of good behaviour

## not coveteous

##not a drunkard

##not be violent

##must be gentle

##must be one who presides over his household in a fine manner

Would it be right for me to say that since these requirements are listed out for bishops and deacons then the rest members of the church should be the antithesis of those qualities listed??.........

You cunningly singled out just ""being a husband of one wife"" and discarded the rest...

Should other members of the church be drunkards,thieves,lovers of money,not presiding over there house hold,belligerent,fighters etc??......

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by nepcham(m): 8:16am On May 24, 2013
ijawkid:

What you should have asked yourself is::: why would bishops and deacons be urged to be husbands of one wife and then the rest of the congregation is left to amass wives like solomon??.........

It didn't occur to you that at that 1 timothy 3:2-6 it was nt only being a husband of one wife that was the requirement for men reaching out for the oFfice of oversight..many other pre-requisites were to be met.....and they are...
, lest he fall into

##husband of one wife

##temperate

##sober minded

## not coveteous

##not a drunkard

##not be violent

##must be gentle

Would it be right for me to say that since these requirements are listed out for bishops and deacons then the rest members of the church should be the antithesis of those qualities listed??.........

You cunningly singled out just ""being a husband of one wife"" and discarded the rest...

Should other members of the church be drunkards,thieves,lovers of money,not presiding over there house hold,belligerent,fighters etc??......

God Bless you sir. You know, when someones mind is already made up over an issue, he will do all he could to support his evil act with even so called proofs. He just single out one point out of many because that is where his interest lies.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by nepcham(m): 8:35am On May 24, 2013
@OP, I think you should be perfectly convinced with the scriptures quoted above by some of our brothers in Gen.1:27 where God created one man and one woman. If God had wanted Adam to have more than one, was He not the creator? He could as well created as many wives for him (Adam) as He wanted. Also, Jesus reiterated the mind of God concerning marriage in Mark10:6-9. He. Said from the begining, God join in marriage only one man and one woman, and so even now, when we are getting marriaed, the man and the woman are to separate from their extended families so that the two of them can build and raise another family. He also said that the TWO not three or four shall become one flesh. With a warning that nobody should separate the TWO. Are you looking for where it is written "Thus saith the Lord thy God, thou shalt marry only one wife"? Definitely you won't find it in the whole of the Bible, but a careful study on the above scriptures with revelation from the Holy Spirit will bail you out. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Born2beRich1(m): 9:58am On May 24, 2013
nepcham: @OP, I think you should be perfectly convinced with the scriptures quoted above by some of our brothers in Gen.1:27 where God created one man and one woman. If God had wanted Adam to have more than one, was He not the creator? He could as well created as many wives for him (Adam) as He wanted. Also, Jesus reiterated the mind of God concerning marriage in Mark10:6-9. He. Said from the begining, God join in marriage only one man and one woman, and so even now, when we are getting marriaed, the man and the woman are to separate from their extended families so that the two of them can build and raise another family. He also said that the TWO not three or four shall become one flesh. With a warning that nobody should separate the TWO. Are you looking for where it is written "Thus saith the Lord thy God, thou shalt marry only one wife"? Definitely you won't find it in the whole of the Bible, but a careful study on the above scriptures with revelation from the Holy Spirit will bail you out. Thanks.

Thank you...

You said it all..

Let them continue to decieve themselves and twisting the Word of God to favour their desires.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Born2beRich1(m): 10:00am On May 24, 2013
ijawkid:

, lest he fall into

##husband of one wife

##temperate

##sober minded

## not coveteous

##not a drunkard

##not be violent

##must be gentle

Thank you...

This shows that they are mere decievers and the op is likely one of them try so hard to turn the word of God to decieve the masses...
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by KiKatanga: 10:30am On May 24, 2013
Born 2be Rich:

Thank you...

This shows that they are mere decievers and the op is likely one of them try so hard to turn the word of God to decieve the masses...

This is only for Bishops for their responsibility to their congregation:
"for if a man
will he take care of the church of God?"
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by CzarChris(m): 9:45pm On May 24, 2013
Make una take am easy dey attack me nah, haba. I never even marry sef, I just need clearification, 1 woman is more than enough trouble, can't even imagine making them 2.
But truth is whatever you guys are saying, it sounds more sentimental than convincing to the enlightened mind.
I believe its time we become more iconocaustic than taking in every info passed hook line and sinker.
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by ijawkid(m): 9:55pm On May 24, 2013
Czar-Chris:
Make una take am easy dey attack me nah, haba. I never even marry sef, I just need clearification, 1 woman is more than enough trouble, can't even imagine making them 2.
But truth is whatever you guys are saying, it sounds more sentimental than convincing to the enlightened mind.
I believe its time we become more iconocaustic than taking in every info passed hook line and sinker.

Lmao.....you funny die.........
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by okeyxyz(m): 6:30am On May 25, 2013
I am not a marriage believing christian. But even if I was, there's absolutely no christian doctrine that makes it a requirement for a christian man to limit himself to one wife. This one-wife doctrine is simply European culture camouflaging as christian doctrine.

The recommendation by Paul for a bishop to be the husband of one wife was simply a human management convenience, so that this bishop should have as little distraction(from his home\marital duties) as possible.

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by truthislight: 12:59pm On May 25, 2013
okeyxyz: I am not a marriage believing christian. But even if I was, there's absolutely no christian doctrine that makes it a requirement for a christian man to limit himself to one wife. This one-wife doctrine is simply European culture camouflaging as christian doctrine.

The recommendation by Paul for a bishop to be the husband of one wife was simply a human management convenience, so that this bishop should have as little distraction(from his home\marital duties) as possible.

"Mortify therefore your body members which are upon the earth; as regard fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence(sex.ual desires), and covetousness, which is idolatry:
For such things’ sake the wrath of God is coming on the children of disobedience:" (Colossians 3:5-6).
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by okeyxyz(m): 2:02pm On May 25, 2013
^^^ What has the above got to do with a man and his legally married wife(s)??

For the sake of promoting White-man's values as christian doctrine, you are willing to bend offenses to include people that have consensually, naturally and legally married themselves. This is perversion of christianity.

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Niflheim(m): 2:26pm On May 25, 2013
@Ijaw kid,my brother,you try so hard at the game of cherry picking but your fail is monumental!!!..........................................You quoted 1 Timothy 3:2 while carefully avoiding 1 Timothy 3:12 which states,and I quote,"Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well."
Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Niflheim(m): 2:44pm On May 25, 2013
@Chris Czar,look at the naughty little choir boys talking tough when they know nothing of their own bible and scriptures,why did Jesus describe himself as a polygamous bridegroom?...........................Matthew 25:1-13

The parable of the five well-oiled virgins

The kingdom of heaven is like ten virgins who went to meet their bridegroom. Five had oil for their lamps and five didn't. When the bridegroom was ready for them, only the five well-oiled virgins got to have sex with him on their wedding night. He shunned the other five, saying "Get lost, ladies. I don't even know you."............................ The moral to the story is this: watch out!!! You never know when (or with whom) Jesus will come.JESUS WAS A FUCKING POLYGAMIST!!!

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by Niflheim(m): 2:59pm On May 25, 2013
You will realise today that I,the Devil(NIFLHEIM),know more about the bible than the common sheep(christians),.............................1 Corinthians 7:12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.............................................THE FUCKING INSTRUCTION WAS FROM A "MAN",NOT FROM A GOD DAMMIT!!!

1 Like

Re: Christianity And One Man, One Wife by truthislight: 4:28pm On May 25, 2013
okeyxyz: ^^^ What has the above got to do with a man and his legally married wife(s)??

For the sake of promoting White-man's values as christian doctrine, you are willing to bend offenses to include people that have consensually, naturally and legally married themselves. This is perversion of christianity.

"Not in the lust of concupiscence(sexual appetite) just as the Gentiles which do not know God do" (1 Thessalonians 4:5).

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Deadly Blow that DESTROYS the Doctrine of Immortal Soul / Invisible Touches While At Sleep / It’s Very Illogical To Worship The Christian God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.