Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,142 members, 7,807,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Moving To Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving To Nigeria (1104 Views)

Father Leaps-out Of A Moving Car To Save His Child / What Has Kept Your Relationship/marriage Moving? / Moving To Separate Rooms After Many Years Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving To Nigeria by Lucinka: 2:29pm On May 24, 2013
Hallo,
I am considering to move to Nigeria in the future, not sure if in few years or when my children get older and independent. I come from East Europe, have Igbo husband, we are living in Netherland and have 2 children.
Why would I like to move to Nigeria?
I would love to have more free space, outside, natural live. I am very simple person, quiet minimalistic. I would for example love to be able to grow my own food... not living with too much control of the system like here etc.
I like Nigeria and I know there is coruption, lots of dirt on street, I will be called onibo, asked for money,there is not good energy and internet connection. That is not such problem. But what concerns me, is the nigerian materialistic mentality, that I see quiet a lots, even in churches. I am not sure, if I will be feeling comfortable.
And my main concern: the schools. I see a lots of complains everywhere. How is the education system in Nigeria? Are the children in schools happy to be there? How many kids on teacher? At what age you decide what direction your study goes? What about dyslectie? Thanks.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by mysticgal(f): 2:49pm On May 24, 2013
Er you will be welcomed,but you are wrong about no internet connection in 9ja,we have it boku meanwhile schools it's 60 students to 1 teasher in a public school except for private school where it maybe 20 and i advice you drop ya engrish in netherland because it will not be neededcheesy
Re: Moving To Nigeria by mysticgal(f): 2:52pm On May 24, 2013
Op what country do you hail from cos this your engrish get bow leg undecidedOp
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Lucinka: 3:01pm On May 24, 2013
I come from Czech Republic,living in the Netherlands ..sorry for my english. I don't think I understand you. undecided
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Lucinka: 3:02pm On May 24, 2013
But, happy to hear about the internet smiley
Re: Moving To Nigeria by bellong: 7:18pm On May 24, 2013
How well you will enjoy Nigeria depends on the part of the country you intend to settle. For you to fit in easily in the

system, it will be good you settle in one of the cosmopolitan cities like Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan and some others. You can

get internet connection in most part of the country as well as phone connectivity. I do not get the energy part. What type

energy are you talking about? There are places you can get good and qualitative education, especially in some of the

private schools.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Winneygirl(f): 7:31pm On May 24, 2013
By energy, I think she's referring to electricity.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by RollingFella(m): 9:29pm On May 24, 2013
Before you decided to come back to Nigeria finally with your husband,remove all negative mindet about Nigeria and its people.I travel to europe a lot and I think Nigeria is still better than a lot european countries.though Nigeria has its own problems,but its problems are blown out proportion by the western media. Always have it in mind that Nigeria is a core capitalist country.there are quite some cosmopolitan cities like Lagos,Abuja,Port-Harcourt,Ibadan. The cities you decide to stay depends on what you and your husband decide to do in Nigeria when you come back.I personally would have prefered Abuja or Lagos because there are a lot of Europeans living in those cities.you will definitely get good skuls in Nigeria,but it will be private.the internet and mobile phone services are good depending on the network provider you choose.its only electricity that you might need a back-up generator to support the electricity provided by the Nigerian owned electricity company.finally,Nigerians are accomodating and welcoming people.

1 Like

Re: Moving To Nigeria by MMotimo: 2:49am On May 25, 2013
For good private schools, that are really (mostly) no better than your average western public school, be prepared to pay a LOT of money. I suggest you do your research carefully before you move. What you think of as average, middle class, western lifestyle is enjoyed in Naija by a class that is, at the least, "upper middle class"
Re: Moving To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 5:17am On May 25, 2013
Nigeria is fun. Trust no one. Enjoy.
Re: Moving To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:27am On May 25, 2013
Well as for the electricity ''Energy'' we dont have @all, except you reside in some places like Ikoyi ''not every where in Ikoyi'', because they are some top politician that reside there, then you are sure of electricity.
Internet connection is very good in some part of the country, eg; Lagos, PH, Abuja, etc. But some states dont have good network compare to thses states i mentioned.
About the schools, i believe if you have the money, they are many good schools your children will like. I'll say you should give you children enough time to acquire basic education over there
Re: Moving To Nigeria by eforce: 9:24am On May 25, 2013
Nigeria is a fun place to be,
The people are very welcoming and friendly.
Things are more expensive in Nigeria because a lot of things are imported by individuals with no government support, so be prepared to buy your stuff outside the country and bring them in.
If you want a simple life, then strike out lagos and ibadan from where you want to live, lagos is ranked on the list of the most stressful states in the world. Abuja is your best bet, port harcourt is a mess, forget it. You would get internationally standard schools in abuja also, other lesser towns that resemble abuja is Ilorin and maybe Akure in the western parts of Nigeria but Akure doesn't seem to have any internationally standard school. The east is more or less like a jungle, the north would have been very simple and good sans bokoharam. Calabar in the south is also very neat and clean. Not everywhere in Nigeria is dirty, the dirty cities are lagos, ibadan, kano and the east.
Come when your kids have gone to college.
Electricity is best in Abuja.

(1) (Reply)

Man To Pay Child Support For Only One Twin As DNA Test Says The Other Is Not His / Is He Really Serious Or Acting A Script? / Help Me Ooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.