Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,846 members, 7,806,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? (10664 Views)

Security Agencies Flogging Nigerians In Traffic: Legally Right Or Wrong? / Are Modern Nigerian Girl's Bad And Proud Of It? / Gen. Muhammadu Buhari: The Paramount Enemy Of Democracy In Modern Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 11:18am On May 26, 2013
It depends on the child involved. Some kids need spanking while some don't.
For somborri lyk me, I needed a bit of spanking and I got more than enough. sad smiley
If my child is the 'need-spanking' type, na to import koboko for him/her but if it's the type that parks well easily, why would I do such?
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by LordReed(m): 5:57pm On May 26, 2013
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]I didn't turn out well because I was flogged. I turned out well because I modeled my parents' behaviors. Modeling is the greatest form of discipline in my opinion. Children mimic behaviors, including physical abuse. If a parent flogs or spanks a child, don't be surprised when that child starts spanking and flogging siblings, cousins, pets, etc. Behave ideally so that a child will mimic ideal behavior. I don't need a cane to raise any child of mine.[/size]

I remember my childhood very well. My parents were/are model citizens so I had great people to model after but believe me I wanted to do things they would never have approved or were no good anyway. My point, left alone to model the behaviour of his/her parent a child will choose things that may not sit well with the parent and maybe out rightly dangerous. It is not enough to simply model, you'll need to reinforce your lessons; look at life there are pains and pleasures which are outcomes of our actions. How will you teach your child this without punishments and rewards or are you only going to reward your child?

2 Likes

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by ZACHIE: 7:16pm On May 26, 2013
sainty2k3:
I wonder when people like you will learn to be courteous on nairaland. Just because we are all 'faceless' doesn't mean we should neglect the moral value of mutual respect.
Now I can see what flogging has done to you lipsrsealed
Phem!
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 26, 2013
Magdalee: When i was growing up my father flogged me to the extent that i thought he hated me. I couldnt dare to look him in the eye for fear that i would be flogged. Even when i was sexually abused by a family friend i couldnt tell him for fear of being flogged. Something happened however one day when he raised his hands to hit me i held his hands and dared him to touch me. I had grown to be stubborn and to hate men. Today i'm 26 but no successful relationship. I therefore think that there are other ways to discipline a child. We are humans not animals
sorry sweetheart.you'll soon meet an angel amongst the men.there are few of them left.just few.and I wish you one of them.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by AbuMikey(m): 7:49pm On May 26, 2013
E d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ die
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Image123(m): 10:03pm On May 26, 2013
Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by ONESS: 10:20am On May 27, 2013
The bible admonished us to train up a child in the way he/she should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. I am also aware the bible said that it is good to spare a child and spoil the rod. which means parents and guardians have more work to do with their children to put them right with the thing of life but many have deviated from this and thereby making the children gangsters, terrorists, dropouts, religious extremists and so forth. so for me spanking a child in fact beating a child is very much welcome to me.
~Bluetooth:

Spanking is a Nigerian culture and I'm not sure you can take that away from them irrespective of their level of education.I don't believe in granting children absolute right to be wayward and useless to the society.

Maybe the Adebolajos won't have become terrorists if their parents had spanked that spirit of terror from their blood with a koboko while growing up.Well,Koboko is actually used to reset children to their default settings. grin
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Annuity(m): 10:13am On May 29, 2013
if not for the sake of flogging, u think naija can still stand today(still coping with the situations).Despite the fact that there is poverty, joblessness etc. Go to other countries, they cannot face half of what a typical nigerian is facing, b4 they start misbehaving. as for me, flogging helps, bt nt too much of it. [quote author=ogugua88][/quote]
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by MajeOfficial: 10:08pm On May 29, 2013
donwilz: Please, tell that to an ignorant person. Flogging has been part of our culture way before the colonial period. Generally, in my own experience, Nigerian kids are better behaved and respectful than their oyibo counterparts . When you beat a child moderately(not kill) and equally show some love after the beating, the child learns. My parents beat me and my other siblings, today, we are all non violent and responsible. Same to the other peers of mine.

We mistake 'better behaved' with 'fearful'. Should a child fear his/her protector and guardian? Are Nigerian kids truly better behaved than oyibo ones? They're having the same sex, using the same marijuana, listening to the same vulgar music, dressing the same, disrespecting each other the same etc. The difference is they won't do it infront of their parent because their parent will beat them.

the end result is the nigerians adult isn't better behaved than the oyibo adult due to this upbringing. The nigerian adult has grown up beaten like a slave, and thus thinks and behaves like a slave. His self esteem is low and he has to go out of his way to prove his worth to others, often by lying and obsessing about wealth. He is quick to physically attack his fellow man. If he doesn't get his way he destroys everything around him so that nobody will get their way. He can't line up for a bus without problems. He's can't debate without insult and again physical violence, and he teaches his children no moral lessons but simply beats that child when that child does wrong and ignores everything else.

Nigerian children and slaves are raises and controlled the same way. A life of labor and obedience, physical violence and intimidation when you violate your 'master', not respect or rights until you're a parent and then, because the nigerian is not used to having rights and respect, it's hard for him to understand how to give others (wife, kids, employees, citizenry, students) rights and respect because he was taught that anyone 'below him' doesn't deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by MajeOfficial: 10:18pm On May 29, 2013
elhadjkoko:

Beating aint allowed in the developed world & thats why we have serial killers, large sale murders and so on, I'm a teacher and f U want to know, schools where indiscipline thrives most are where flogging has been banned, there's a notable school in Ibadan where a student slapped a teacher and to save his job the teacher just had to walk away and report to the principal. There is another school where I once taught, where beating was also frowned, except for very serious offences. Some students that were sent home for school fees ish went drinking & later naked themselves on the street, what did the school do? They were given 4strokes each, the said students just started laughing after the beating.....now how do you think those ones will turn out later in life?
We need it to keep our wards in check...even the Holy Books support it.

So Kidnappers, Boko Haram, MEND, cultists, Area boys, herdsmen, ethic rioters, thugs, and armed robbers in Nigeria aren't serial killers or killers in large scale?

I think that the schools where beating is outlawed may be more indisciplined because the teachers themselves don't know how else to instill respect and discipline other than intimidation and fear.

We had a teacher in one of my classes in the US. He, of course, would never beat you, but he was intelligent, and well respected by the students. If anyone did anything immature such as talking in class would simply pause and look at them until they're done. This caused the person to stop immediately and everyone else feared doing anything that will cause him to pause and look at them. Because the students respected him as a man, they wanted him to respect them as well, and when he looked at them in disappointment, they would force themselves to stop because someone they respect and look up too is showing them that their action is childish.

The man who's words have been the most listened to in this history of human kind was Jesus Christ. Jesus didn't beat his followers. Jesus didn't intimidate anyone. Jesus spared the rod, but in his actions and his purity his followers respected the strength of his peace and we he spoke they would listen. He is akin to the parent that 'doesn't need to beat' his 'students' because they respected him so much that they were ready to listen to him and his ideas on a better world.

I'm not saying that everyone should be christ, but the most popular entity in the history of mankind is christ. He is the most followed (because Christianity is the world's largest faith), and he didn't inflict pain or intimidation on anyone. To say that the method of not hurting your subjects doesn't work is to go against something Christ himself proved in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by LordReed(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2013
So Kidnappers, Boko Haram, MEND, cultists, Area boys, herdsmen, ethic rioters, thugs, and armed robbers in Nigeria aren't serial killers or killers in large scale?

I think that the schools where beating is outlawed may be more indisciplined because the teachers themselves don't know how else to instill respect and discipline other than intimidation and fear.

We had a teacher in one of my classes in the US. He, of course, would never beat you, but he was intelligent, and well respected by the students. If anyone did anything immature such as talking in class would simply pause and look at them until they're done. This caused the person to stop immediately and everyone else feared doing anything that will cause him to pause and look at them. Because the students respected him as a man, they wanted him to respect them as well, and when he looked at them in disappointment, they would force themselves to stop because someone they respect and look up too is showing them that their action is childish.

The man who's words have been the most listened to in this history of human kind was Jesus Christ. Jesus didn't beat his followers. Jesus didn't intimidate anyone. Jesus spared the rod, but in his actions and his purity his followers respected the strength of his peace and we he spoke they would listen. He is akin to the parent that 'doesn't need to beat' his 'students' because they respected him so much that they were ready to listen to him and his ideas on a better world.

I'm not saying that everyone should be christ, but the most popular entity in the history of mankind is christ. He is the most followed (because Christianity is the world's largest faith), and he didn't inflict pain or intimidation on anyone. To say that the method of not hurting your subjects doesn't work is to go against something Christ himself proved in the bible.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Jesus didn't spare the rod, read your bible well. He both literally and figuratively chastised wrong doers. Did you not read where He cleared the temple or the various places He called the Pharisees a nest of vipers? And for heavens sake why would He beat grown men who freely choose to follow Him? My dear you have lost the plot in citing these as an example of how to raise children.

Tell me something when the State imposes penalties on you for breaking the law are they dehumanizing you or are they making you a slave?

Imposition of penalties on a child for wrong doing is very necessary and does not dehumanize that child at all. What dehumanizes people is imposing wicked acts and words on them not sincere correction from erring ways.

A child need not be beat for every wrong he/she does but certain actions should earn him/her that and the child should be told before hand that that will be the consequence.

Our society is more corrupt than it was a few years ago, this is not as a result of childhood beatings.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Mdrill(m): 12:10am On Aug 21, 2013
"¢σηƒιdєη¢є ιs α stαιη ι ¢αη'т ωιpє σƒƒ."[/color] •❞ ❞❞ ❞•❞ ❞❞❞ ❞•❞❞ ❞❞❞ ❞• ❞ ©M—DRILL.[color=#000000]
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by Mdrill(m): 12:12am On Aug 21, 2013
[color=#006600]"¢σηƒιdєη¢є ιs α stαιη ι ¢αη'т ωιpє σƒƒ." •❞ ❞❞ ❞•❞ ❞❞❞ ❞•❞❞ ❞❞❞ ❞• ❞ [color=#000000]©M—DRILL.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by celeron40(m): 3:36pm On Feb 17, 2017
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

You are on your own... I just can't believe Nigerians are impaired in reasoning. I can count the number of times my dad beat me mercilessly. I can't count the number of times my mum flogged me. Yet in all of that, I am way better. U can't compare the morals of a child that was flogged to those that were not. Flogging is the only way. It has been from the beginning and will always be.
Take our fore fathers for example. Do u agree that the world is gradually loosing it norms and values?
Before now divorce was a shame, same sex marriage was also a shame. Now pple are proud to say they have divorced 5 times or push for same sex marriage.
1c you leave ur roots, you become confused. Wo, I dey beat my cousin and after that I tell him y I do so. So you better shine your eye... Before you start regretting.
RUBBISH!!! If flogging is so effective, then why is Nigeria in the mess it is in today? Is your so called flogging not supposed to make better citizens. And you're here saying nonsense about divorce.
Re: Does Flogging Have A Place In Modern Nigerian Society? by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:14pm On Feb 17, 2017
celeron40:
RUBBISH!!! If flogging is so effective, then why is Nigeria in the mess it is in today? Is your so called flogging not supposed to make better citizens. And you're here saying nonsense about divorce.

As much as I'd love to argue, brother, I have gone past this point. It's your life, your perspective, your choices. Whatever rocks your boat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Most Extreme Pictures. / Jackal: An Asset Or A Nuisance To The Sports Section? / Oil Workers Are Not Going On Strike Nation-Wide - NUPENG President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.