Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria (12783 Views)

Slowly, Jonathan’s Name Enters Dasukigate / Jonathan's Name Removed From African Richest President's List / Jonathan Name Godswill Orubebe As New Power Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by lanre2009: 4:32am On May 26, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday said despite the security challenges in parts of the country, his first name had brought some good luck to Nigeria.

Jonathan said this while granting an interview to a 10-year-old Nigerian girl based in California, Miss Zuriel Oduwole, on the sideline of the ongoing 21st ordinary session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the Africa Union holding in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Oduwole who was said to have earlier interviewed some other African leaders is working on a documentary on the union’s 50 years of existence.

She had sought to know from Jonathan how much good luck his first name had brought to the country under his leadership.

Jonathan said religion and traditional societies attached some values to names.

This, he said, was why parents select good names for their children.

He said, “Traditional societies attach some values to names. That is why people select good names for their children.

“In the scriptures sometimes, when God sends you on some special assignment, He could even direct, ‘change the name of this child from this to that.’

“But the name in itself does not make much difference because even from my village, there is one of my peers that also answers Goodluck. Another one that is a little older than me answers Lucky from my small village and I didn’t see the good luck and lucky in them.

“In terms of bringing my name to bear in Nigerian affairs, within this period, we have our challenges. Of course, you are aware that we have our security challenges. But in spite of the security challenges, the country is moving on. I will say yes, it brought some good luck to the country.”

On the legacy he would want to leave behind at the expiration of his tenure, Jonathan said he would like to be remembered for sanitising the nation’s electoral system as well as fixing the power poor and security challenges.

“If we can stabilise the electoral process, sanitise the political environment, then we make sure that we have power in this country and of course, security, every other things will take off on its own,” the President said.

Jonathan said he would also like the sanitation going on in the electoral system to be internalised in all sectors of the country.

He said, “People should be allowed to decide who governs them, who represents them at the parliament, who runs their affair at the local government level; the country never had that opportunity and the elite were no longer interested even in voting.

“Democracy was almost left floating in the hands of people who ordinarily have no place there. So, we are sanitising the electoral process. Now, Nigerians can select who they want to be their President, who they want to be their governor, who they want to be their senator, who they want to be their House of Representatives member or even their state House of Assembly member or even chairman of their council.

“We are doing that and I want that to be internalised in all the ways we do things. I want people to remember me for that.”

Jonathan also talked of his desire to put the nation on a better stead in the area of Information Technology.

He said with technological development, power could be stabilised and then, micro, small and medium scale enterprises would be encouraged.

These, he added, are the areas that create jobs for the people, improve the economy and reduce poverty to the barest minimum.

Also, the President said for African countries to come out of the woods and take their rightful positions among the comity of nations, their leaders must deepen democracy by avoiding abuse of power and impunity.

Source:- http://www.punchng.com/news/my-name-has-brought-good-luck-to-nigeria-jonathan/

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by splashbaby(m): 4:49am On May 26, 2013
Interesting....with bad luck in equal measure!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by PaulJohn1: 4:57am On May 26, 2013
I think Mr president is only trying to be funny, shouldn't be taken serious. undecided

25 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by musiwa26: 4:57am On May 26, 2013
grin
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Tolexander: 5:19am On May 26, 2013
Jonathan said he would also like
the sanitation going on in the
electoral system to be
internalised in all sectors of the
country
like the NGF election that was held on friday!

Childly question, childish response

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Burger01(m): 5:55am On May 26, 2013
Yeah! 2015, Goodluck to Goodluck Jonathan. We dey your back like hunchback... Haters abeg hug transformer.

sad

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by lordizak(m): 6:31am On May 26, 2013
mentally degraded post and comment.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Codedrock(m): 7:03am On May 26, 2013
Yeah, it has brought it my presido!! You are indeed a goodluck.. Lol
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Caseless: 7:33am On May 26, 2013
I'm very sure this president forced nigerians into believing that there is a different meaning to 'goodluck' than what it means literally.

This buffer(gej) shld keep shut cos his name has brought balagan , pandemonium, cluelessness excrescence, cataclysmic policies, homogous party style to this country. Weakness is his idiosyncracy, tough-talking is his consanguinity and he's simplectic in relationship with people who wld stop at nothin to destroy this country in the name of showing support to him and pdp .

How more 'goodluck' can he be to nigeria....

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:56am On May 26, 2013
Tolexander: like the NGF election that was held on friday!

Childly question, childish response

Even one man will claim that he had announced 'God's will' to the people. Smh
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by alkadriyar(m): 11:10am On May 26, 2013
grin I dey laugh!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Cheggoon(m): 11:34am On May 26, 2013
Oya ‎me self don change my name shapally
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Danfo(m): 11:36am On May 26, 2013
hmmm

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by jovie50: 11:37am On May 26, 2013
i agree with him on some aspects.
but he must joking!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by CrazyMan(m): 11:37am On May 26, 2013
lanre2009: President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday said despite the security challenges in parts of the country, his first name had brought some good luck to Nigeria.
So Mr president, you're aware of the security challenges in the country...if I may ask, how does it translate to good luck?

All we see in our national dailies are killings, killings, killings...if that's your definition of good luck then Nigeria is doomed.

lanre2009: an affairs, within this period, we have our challenges. Of course, you are aware that we have our security challenges. But in spite of the security challenges, the country is moving on. I will say yes, it brought some good luck to the country.”
Mr president, I don't think you're aware of the security challenges...people die in their thousands in Nigeria everyday,

If its not boko haram its ombatse or street cults or robbers or accidents or as a result of our failed medical system...just name them.

Any leader that cannot guarantee the safety of his people shouldn't boast about any positive achievement.

lanre2009: On the legacy he would want to leave behind at the expiration of his tenure, Jonathan said he would like to be remembered for sanitising the nation’s electoral system as well as fixing the power poor and security challenges.
Action the say speaks louder than voice.

You want to sanitize the nation's electroal system...this is laughable because we're all aware that such statement is like shooting yourself on the foot...you cannot sanitize the electoral system without sanitizing your party PDP.

lanre2009: “If we can stabilise the electoral process, sanitise the political environment, then we make sure that we have power in this country and of course, security, every other things will take off on its own,” the President said.
We can if we want to...question is can do you have what it takes to respond to those who would oppose you?

It took you over a year to respond to boko haram who were going about killing and blowing up innocent people.

I wonder how many years it would take you to respond to the power and electoral issue.

lanre2009: Jonathan said he would also like the sanitation going on in the electoral system to be internalised in all sectors of the country.

He said, “People should be allowed to decide who governs them, who represents them at the parliament, who runs their affair at the local government level; the country never had that opportunity and the elite were no longer interested even in voting.
Can this be achievable in Nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:38am On May 26, 2013
Funny enough many Nigerians said the same thing when they were voting for him in the last election.

Maybe he should list all the ''Goodlucks'' that his name has brought to Nigeria.

But I beg to differ.
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Penssuwa(m): 11:38am On May 26, 2013
'Dnt judge a man until u walk a mile in his moccasin'. Oga presido may be slow but never a bad leader. I just wish he stop listening to side talks and use his initiative.
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:39am On May 26, 2013
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by labbyboi(m): 11:39am On May 26, 2013
If I hear!
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by jaygem(m): 11:43am On May 26, 2013
Your name makes no difference to the nation
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by tspun(m): 11:44am On May 26, 2013
must u advertize ur bad luck in public. Other president are being remember for building world class hospital, cities, an so on. U r here remimding us of ur failure. Just name one thing u have done that have benefit the average nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by ACM10: 11:45am On May 26, 2013
grin
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by ACM10: 11:46am On May 26, 2013
musiwa26: grin

Even Musiwa dey laff

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46am On May 26, 2013
I aint a politician and i dont fancy politics. But here is my take on this:
for the fact that he bears good luck doesnt mean he brings good luck by virtue of bearing the name.
Every leader can not be perfect. A leader can NEVER please every one to the level they expect him to please them. A leader is no super man. He must definitely have some fault and short comings. Leadership doesnt make people perfect, it just help them try to do things perfectly.
Whats my point? I believe so far, Jonathan has almost or has out performed his predecessors. I wonder why many people just hate. And the truth is, when you dislike some one, you can never see any good in them.
Final thought: Jonathan is not perfect, but i believe in Him.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:47am On May 26, 2013
If goodluck means oppressing your federating subordinates with the instrument of state,granting clemency to corrupt people,intimidating perceived enemies of the president and the opposition,instigating people like Asari and clark to make inciting comments,lying to the people that he would give them 10000MW by december and even lying to the world that there is no more darkness in Nigeria,politicising the deaths of innocent people in the North,shielding corrupt officilas like Oteh and Diezani,subverting the rule of law amid others,then I advise this man to change his name to Badluck cuz he's been nothing but badluck to Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by matrixme(m): 11:51am On May 26, 2013
Dear sir, we all don't share your personal philosophy. Thank you!
Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by nokingasgod: 11:59am On May 26, 2013
I seeeee, so -
i. Boko Haram is goodluck
ii. Kidnapping is goodluck
iii. Unprecedented unemployment level is goodluck
iv. Monumental scams in the Oil sector is goodluck
v. Pension Fund scam is goodluck
vi. Inefficient, ineffective power sector is goodluck
vii. Infrastrucural collapse is goodluck
viii. Collapse of the middle class is goodluck
ix. Daylight robbery by the political class is goodluck
x. Hapless, Clueless leadership is goodluck.

Hmnnnnn, there indeed was a country where the leaders were visionary, astute and people-centric!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 26, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by hikmoj(m): 12:14pm On May 26, 2013
Good luck indeed,wit fuel hike,insecurity,joblessnes,corruption,power outage,mismanagement of public fund,air disasters,bad roads wit road disasters and many more.What a fantastic GOOD luck.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Name Has Brought Good-Luck To Nigeria by kushsy: 12:15pm On May 26, 2013
Really?! Mr president with all due respect, ds must be joke of the Year especially for we that reside in north.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Deji Falae To Be Buried Today / Lawyers Avoid Some Courts Due To Corrupt Judges, Says SAN / ‘No Northern Candidate Can Defeat President Buhari’ - APC Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.