Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,283 members, 7,780,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:28 PM

Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. (28835 Views)

Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading / How To Overcome The Pains Of Distance Relationships / Romantic Love Text Message And Advice For Distance Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 26, 2013
hahaha I usually don't share articles on here but this one is awesome. grin

My first questions to anyone in a long-distance relationship are some of the following: are you a masochist? Why do you like pain? Why are you doing this to yourself? Are you insane? How could anyone pick a Monday night of Face-Timing with someone who lives four hours away over Monday night football and $2 schooners? These are things I just don’t understand.

People give all kinds of justifications for being involved in LDRs, and we all know someone who is in one and says it’s totally worth it, they’re super in love, blah blah, blah. Come on, you’re not fooling anyone. We all know you’re actually miserable and it’s slowly killing you.

Believe it or not, years ago, I used to be one of these unfortunate people. But then I stepped back and was finally honest with myself: this sucks, no one is happy, and it’s just not working.

Short term, LDRs can be bearable. Maybe it’s just a summer apart while one of you has an internship in another state. But any longer than that, and you’re playing with fire. Texting, emails, and Skype dates will never be able to imitate or replace the human touch.

Absence doesn’t really make the heart grow fonder—it breeds jealousy and resentment. You both will become a crazy people who think things like, “Who is that bitch who just wrote on his Facebook wall? Why did he cancel our Skype date last week?” or “Who is that guy with her in that photo from tailgating? Why hasn’t she called me back?” Even if there are innocent explanations for these things (she lives on his floor, he has a midterm tomorrow, that’s her cousin, whatever), is the stress and suspicion during what is supposed to be the best four years of your life really worth it?

Do you realize how much you’re missing out on by driving across the state every weekend or staying in to talk on the phone all night? And very importantly: does anyone actually derive pleasure from phone intimacy?

Just because you’ve been with someone for a long time doesn’t mean you’re going to be with them forever. Maybe you two really are super in love, and if so, that’s great. But if you’re going to try making it work, you have to be prepared to face the facts: LDRs do not work out often, and when they end, it’s a mess.

They do not end in being friends with your ex, or at least being able to tolerate them if you were at the same party, or best case scenario, still hooking up when you’re both in town. No, LDRs almost always end in fiery explosions of hating the other person and crying in the fetal position.

Staying with someone because it’s comfortable and safe is one of the worst things you can do. “Comfortable” can quickly bleed into “boring”, which is right across the street from “get me out of here”. And thinking that you’ll never in the rest of your life meet anyone as great as this person is just ridiculous.

There are so many amazing people out there, you’d never have the time to date them all, even if you tried. But you’d never know any of that if you didn’t get off Skype and find out for yourself.

Don’t be one of those sad and sorry people who look back and regret that they didn’t get out of a time-sucking, fun-sucking long distance relationship sooner.

No one likes listening to those people. Not even bartenders.

http://uweekly.com/article/long-distance-relationships-just-say-no-to-5685/

6 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Deiok(m): 5:37pm On May 26, 2013
long distance relationship is realy not an ideal relationship. How can you say youre in a relation with someone you cant see or feel physicaly.

4 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 26, 2013
Deiok: long distance relationship is realy not an ideal relationship. How can you say youre in a relation with someone you cant see or feel physicaly.

My brother, tell me about it.

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by ohaleoghene(f): 5:50pm On May 26, 2013
Am in one right now . Menh , I won't advise anybody who is not strong to try it . The only why am faithful is because am a v , else , would have gone crazy if I had tasted the tin , and suddenly stop having it . While , four years gone , everything is ending this year cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by passionate88: 5:58pm On May 26, 2013
Deiok: long distance relationship is realy not an ideal relationship. How can you say youre in a relation with someone you cant see or feel physicaly.
I dey tell u. There must be suspicion, no matter how d person dm try to hide am dm go still dey suspect dia gf/bf. Bt sm gals prefer am because d guy go fit dey send dm gifts bt im no go chop kpekus.

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Deiok(m): 6:05pm On May 26, 2013
passionate88: I dey tell u. There must be suspicion, no matter how d person dm try to hide am dm go still dey suspect dia gf/bf. Bt sm gals prefer am because d guy go fit dey send dm gifts bt im no go chop kpekus.
lmao grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Les: 6:06pm On May 26, 2013
Stop preaching against it, for d fact it didn't work out for u doesn't mean it wont for others...

69 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 6:08pm On May 26, 2013
Les: Stop preaching against it, for d fact it didn't work out for u doesn't mean it wont for others...
hmmm sir, I didn't write that article, I just liked it. Don't take things personal. Yours may work good luck. grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Deiok(m): 6:09pm On May 26, 2013
ohaleoghene: Am in one right now . Menh , I won't advise anybody who is not strong to try it . The only why am faithful is because am a v , else , would have gone crazy if I had tasted the tin , and suddenly stop having it . While , four years gone , everything is ending this year cheesy
Thank God you are ending it this year, but that "a V" i nor believe am. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Deiok(m): 6:11pm On May 26, 2013
Les: Stop preaching against it, for d fact it didn't work out for u doesn't mean it wont for others...
someone is in it!!!!! ;0 ;0

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 26, 2013
Deiok: someone is in it!!!!! ;0 ;0

ROFLMAO!!!!

[img]http://tvrecappersanonymous.files./2012/02/3-13-shh-klaus-rupertgrint.gif%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D282[/img]
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Les: 6:19pm On May 26, 2013
You guys wouldn't understand, it's more complicated dan that...

3 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by yhemite(m): 6:26pm On May 26, 2013
and wat if u are together 4 nw, but schooling,work or smthing worthwhile take him or her away.... people have problem shaaaa... believing they must get wat dey want at all time... what if u marry military men? or dont they get married? wat of scholars,bussiness men and govt officials who could travel for months...the message is know the kind of person u are...dont advice others that its as bad as u think...we have wives that dont see ther husband for years and dont hang themselves but rather keeping it cool with there children and helping to build the home front..so if all u care about is a man or woman that would hug u every morning,have sex with u all day or those that wolud tell u all those unclad sweet words in these world..then u are missing it..God helps!!!!!!!!!

44 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Lobolintin(m): 7:36pm On May 26, 2013
ohaleoghene: Am in one right now . Menh , I won't advise anybody who is not strong to try it . The only why am faithful is because am a v , else , would have gone crazy if I had tasted the tin , and suddenly stop having it . While , four years gone , everything is ending this year cheesy
four whet, without banana, emi koooooo

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by MrsMango(f): 7:42pm On May 26, 2013
I'm in a long distance marriage!!!
What works for A might not work for B.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by ohaleoghene(f): 8:05pm On May 26, 2013
Deiok: Thank God you are ending it this year, but that "a V" i nor believe am. cool cool

Nope , not ending it . He is coming back home

16 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by xynerise: 8:17pm On May 26, 2013
Long distance relationship will hardly work when sex is involved in the relationship. Though it is not easy both in a sexless relationship but the chances of controling your desire and affection in a sexless relationship is higher.

Conji no easy to hold o grin

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 26, 2013
Les: You guys wouldn't understand, it's more complicated dan that...

I understand luv. Been there done it. I wouldn't wish it upon my enemy thats all. Good luck mate.

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by jmoore(m): 8:39pm On May 26, 2013
Some things are inevitable due to the nature of the job one got. Truck drivers, military men, sailors etc.
It is wrong to say that long distance is a curse.

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Cestmoi1(f): 9:00pm On May 26, 2013
as if u read my mind.im in 1 ryt now n all wat is written above is getting to me lytle by lytle.if u r nt strong,pls dnt go in2 a LDR.luv my guy doh.

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by MrsMango(f): 9:09pm On May 26, 2013
jmoore: Some things are inevitable due to the nature of the job one got. Truck drivers, military men, sailors etc.
It is wrong to say that long distance is a curse.
Exactly!
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Youngpo413: 9:16pm On May 26, 2013
C'est moi:
as if u read my mind.im in 1 ryt now n all wat is written above is getting to me lytle by lytle.if u r nt strong,pls dnt go in2 a LDR.luv my guy doh.

Strong as in
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Cestmoi1(f): 9:20pm On May 26, 2013
pls,read d post again.u will undastand.eg constantly worried abt whr he is,who he is flirting wit etc.u must be strong enuf emotionally to withstand it all.
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Deiok(m): 12:20am On May 27, 2013
ohaleoghene:

Nope , not ending it . He is coming back home
oops sorri wink he is finaly going to pop your V.
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by chronique(m): 12:47am On May 27, 2013
LDR is crap. Broke up with some exes as soon as they travelled out but unfortunately fell in love with a chick here in naija,living in another state. That shit didn't work cos the distance left me thinking so many stuffs. After that,I swore never to try it again. It aint worth it. It could turn you into a bad person which you're actually not.

2 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by BeautfulB(f): 12:50am On May 27, 2013
Thank God 4 dis thread...I pray nt to...was in it and it didn't work...
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 1:07am On May 27, 2013
Deiok: oops sorri wink he is finaly going to pop your V.

why are you keen on this girl's virginity? C'mon lad, get a grip of yourself

8 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 1:14am On May 27, 2013
OP, dere are several categories of Long distance relationship... And its not all of them that fail... To maintain a LDR, dere must be love, trust, self-control and discipline... If one can't have that, it is bound to head for the rocks... I know of many LDRs that turned out great and some that didn't for one reason or the other... Love is a free bird. No one knows where its gonna put its nest... Some pple may not like LDR but in one way or the other find themselves in it... It could be you again...!

4 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 1:26am On May 27, 2013
long distance relationship sucks, it's meant only for angels, I see No reason waiting for someone whom you don't even know his next move.

am in one presently, I know within myself, it ain't working.

1 Like

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Rocktation(f): 1:41am On May 27, 2013
Long distance is the best for people that don't like their partners breathing down their necks at every opportunity. You need a lot of trust though to make it work (nothing that the opposite of it doesn't require too...technically) and sure can see yourselves, time after time. Long distance relationship doesn't always translate to being kept apart from each other totally. It could mean that you just have to go quite a long distance, "every time", to see your better half. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Nobody: 2:01am On May 27, 2013
Rocktation: Long distance is the best for people that don't like their partners breathing down their necks at every opportunity. You need a lot of trust though to make it work (nothing that the opposite of it doesn't require too...technically) and sure can see yourselves, time after time. Long distance relationship doesn't always translate to being kept apart from each other totally. It could mean that you just have to go quite a long distance, "every time", to see your better half. undecided
long distance relationships never work.
Re: Long Distance Relationships: Just Say No To The Torture. by Rocktation(f): 2:04am On May 27, 2013
Mine did. wink

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Getting Married Even When You Are Broke / Wife to be Dances without bra as Her Boobs Out In Front Of Camera(video) / Twitter User Makes His Brother's Date With His Crush A Sweet One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.