Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,229 members, 7,807,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

A Story: Broken Vows - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story: Broken Vows (96151 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 29, 2013
Nice work,glowingscenes.....lovn it,lookn out 4 d next update.....wats wrng wit my poor amanda?*cryn*

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Joy4mi(f): 9:56pm On May 29, 2013
glowingscenes: looool tanx guys
eemmh.... excuse me madam GLOW. its nt just fair with the way u stopped that story.why r u laughing out loud? sad
u almost gave me a high bp rite now madam.
just be fast in updating the story o u hear.
more inspirations to ur beautiful mind and brain.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by kemiola89(f): 10:15pm On May 29, 2013
Nwanne! Bia why the torture na, you coulda atleast finish that line before the pause. Oops! I didnt remind you that i hate suspense, it causes HBP and i'm sure you don't want that for any of your readers, biko bosiso and finish up on what you started before something happens kwa. *waiting*

3 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by oruchechuks(m): 11:19pm On May 29, 2013
Ahhh! Wetin sef? Why are writers like this? It's as if suspence is their food, they want to kill people ni? Thank God am nt a writer coz i'll finish all of my story on one page. #mummurs silently# i hate suspence

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:21am On May 30, 2013
@kemi, orechuks, joy4mi....LMAO!!!!y evilz on me naaw.....wats d point of a story if ders no suspense...
Dnt worry, I will post more ds evening se gbo...
Muah for all d love!!!!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Obassy(f): 12:05pm On May 30, 2013
Oops, nice write up..................... I really feel for that baby, will u pls post the remaining episode on time Am really enjoying it
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by nsesilas(f): 12:33pm On May 30, 2013
What a story! Pls kip up d gud work.when are we expecting the next update,cos my eyes are thirsty for more.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by ayobami52(m): 6:15pm On May 30, 2013
this story is so emotional that tears almost drop from my eyes...
it really touched me.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Mynd44: 6:59pm On May 30, 2013
hmmmm
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:13pm On May 30, 2013
Mynd_44: hmmmm
hello mynd44...ds ur hmmm carry weight oo....hehe
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:14pm On May 30, 2013
ayobami52: this story is so emotional that tears almost drop from my eyes...
it really touched me.
awwww..really?

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Mynd44: 8:18pm On May 30, 2013
glowingscenes:
hello mynd44...ds ur hmmm carry weight oo....hehe
just ignore me cheesy
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Bantino(m): 8:19pm On May 30, 2013
Glowingscenes, what are you still waiting for??

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:23pm On May 30, 2013
okay...
Continues!!!!

Throughout the drive home, Maria kept quiet although she was bleeding internally. Her throat felt dry and her head was clouded with thoughts of suicide and hatred. Joe did all to concentrate on the road. His ex-wife’s quietness scared him and left him feeling uncomfortable. She had cried and screamed in the hospital and all he could do was hold her and lead her to the car forcefully and not forgetting to collect the keys from her because she looked like someone that could drive them right into a truck. He acted like a man and fought back the tears, the strings of his heart almost pulling apart with agony, shame and pain.

His only daughter was gone for good, and all she had wanted was for them to be together. He had seen the last expression on her face and he could have given all to see that smile once again, to hear her call him papa the way she had called mama, or daddy, whichever one it was. He tried not to blame himself for the whole situation from the beginning but he knew the truth and it came slapping him across the face. ‘He was the cause of Amanda’s death’ he thought to himself. The shock of the divorce had probably exacerbated her condition and now, she was dead. But how could he continue living with Maria when she probably still had secrets untold and seemed to be less interested in the marriage than he already was. And all they needed was a hidden truth and it came exploding into their faces.

How could he bear what she did to him?

He finally arrived home and parked the car just in front of the small bungalow still having it’s charm, not only inside but outside as well. Coming out of the car first was Maria, leaving the door of the car open and finding her way into the house since part of her hair was already sticking to her face.

Joe sighed heavily at her behavior and removed the keys and could almost lock himself inside the car to face the problem at hand but he forced himself out and headed into the house where his ex-wife had lived with his daughter after the divorce.

She sat curled up in one of the couch and stared into space. She didn’t even move when Joe came inside. All the energy within her had been drained off crying and kicking against him especially when she knew that life without Amanda was torture and misery. All her hope, her world, her everything was gone, and she was going to die a lonely woman. There was no alternative with Joe now that their child was gone and he needn’t worry himself about taking her to Michigan and he didn’t have anything to explain to his fiancée anymore. They could get married, live happily ever after and start having kids. She wasn’t a desperate woman that needed him. She wanted her freedom, now she had it. They both had it.
Hanging his jacket on the couch, he said, ‘I’ll get you something to drink.’ And left for the kitchen, He returned with a glass of iced lemonade he had seen in the fridge and brought it over to her.

‘you should try sipping some of this, it will do you good.’

Maria glanced at the cup filled with lemonade and she stared at it for a while. After a while, she spoke, ‘it was Amanda’s favorite drink.’ She murmured and the tears spilled again unconsciously. She looked at Joe with tear filled eyes and choked, ‘I gave her everything I could give. I gave her my soul but she left without looking back, without having the mercy of saying goodbye. She gave me hope last night and I thought everything was going to work out, and then she saw you and she brightened. She saw us and she brightened.’

He came over and crouched beside her, ‘you have to get a grip of yourself.’ He coaxed and he didn’t see the change in Maria’s eyes at his statement or he would have seen the hand coming.

His face turned at the crack on his face and he would have received more if he hadn’t been fast enough to hold her.

‘let go off me!’ she screamed like a wild woman and Joe initially thought she was insane till she slumped weakly into his shoulders and he brought her closer to him. ‘oh Joe…, look at you, you’ve got your life, a new life now and then you’ll have other kids and forget about Amanda but look at me, I’m sure you’ll be saying I deserve what I got….’

‘no…’ he said thickly feeling her tremble violently in his arms. ‘I would never think that.’ He released her to look into her face and saw that she was still crying. Wanting to ease her a little, he brought his face closer to her and kissed her gently. Surprised at her response, he deepened it and felt her shaking beneath him. He knew they were both in need, and they were in a confused state and she only responded because she was too weak to argue and she was grieving…, they were both grieving.

‘this isn’t right.’ She murmured against his lips but he swallowed them in another kiss and before they both knew what was happening, they were lost in each other ignoring everything else that made sense around them.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:28pm On May 30, 2013
When Maria woke up, she found herself in her bedroom beneath the sheets and tried to sit half way when the full realization of what had happened dawned on her and she weakened.

No! it couldn’t be

She quickly gathered the sheets to hide her shame and scurried to get into a T-shirt and shorts. She looked at the bed and found out that Joe was probably up also and maybe gone.

And then she remembered Amanda and all she could do was hold back further tears from spilling. This was a new day and she had to see what was ahead of her instead of sitting down in bed and mourning over a lost husband and a lost child.
She came out of her room and that was when she heard noise in the kitchen. Curious to know what was going on she headed for the kitchen just to see Joe standing in white gray undershirt and baggy shorts. He looked attractive standing in her kitchen making scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast.

‘wow, you’re awake, didn’t want to wake you.’

‘I guess not.’ She managed to say and settled down on the kitchen stool to get her thoughts together. Was this some kind of joke or dream?

He poured her a mug of coffee and gave it to her. When she stretched forth to receive it, their fingers touched and she jerked away at the sudden spark she hadn’t felt after a long while. She wondered why this was happening now and wished she could take her mind off things.

‘you need that to clear your head.’ Was all he said without looking at her. After the eggs were done, he served her on a clean plate and began to look for something else to do without looking into her eyes. They stood like strangers in the kitchen that had found themselves ignited by hidden passion the night before. Joe was the one who felt so ridiculous and angry and he was doing this to compensate for uncontrolled emotions that had led to something else, something much more deeper than emotions and it wasn’t just his emotions, hers too. He didn’t know what came over him and now, he wished he could turn back the hands of time although that was still not going to solve anything and he would have given everything for last night after seeing his daughter speak to him. He was almost seeing himself in a clear mirror now and he could see how selfish he had been to Amanda by considering taking her away from her mother to start schooling in Michigan but it wasn’t his fault she got mentally depressed, or was it? Part of him agreed that he could have been the cause.

‘what time did you get out of bed?’ she broke into his thoughts and buried her face in her mug of coffee.

‘eight…, I guess we both woke up late.’ He turned to the small wall clock hanging on the kitchen wall. It was already ten. He turned back to look at her and her doe-eyes almost made him to lose his senses and remember what had happened between them and his heart quickened.

‘about last night…’ they said it together and a slight blush appeared on her cheeks. She was smart enough to recover fast before she decided to drop the bomb shell.

‘we’ll assume it never happened.’ She tried to act strong, to look strong and she succeeded. She wasn’t going to let him rule her emotions or toy with them this time. With the stand she was taking, she assumed she was doing the right thing.

Joe stared at her with confused eyes and watched her intensely before finally replying, ‘sure…, it never happened.’ Biting his lower lip he laughed nervously and kept looking around thinking of what next to say.

Maria helped him, ‘I think it’s time to leave, your wedding is in a month or week’s time isn’t it?’

Joe raged inside but simply nodded. She had to drive the nail into him mercilessly and look so unperturbed. He looked into her eyes and didn’t see any emotion there, none at all to predict or reveal what she was really feeling. He deserved what he got and he knew she was trying to make him pay for their daughter’s death. He had a new fiancée and he was sleeping with his ex-wife? What kind of fool was he? The type that didn’t think’ he told himself before leaving the kitchen.

It took only few seconds to get his things and close the door behind him.

It was after the door closed behind him Maria released her breath. After confirming he was gone, the tears took its toil.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:46pm On May 30, 2013
Chapter 6

‘Sweet heart, get your butt back in here.’ Bonnie Williams called out to the Spanish girl that had been standing outside talking with her friend for about an hour. Camilla rushed back inside and began apologizing so fast she was mixing Spanish with English.

‘never mind, just get back to work.’ Her boss said and she smiled and went over to wear her apron. Bonnie shook her head and went over to check outside for the fifth time that day to see if Maria was coming. She had called her number several times and wondered why she was not picking up. she even called the house and left about six messages and still no sign of her. For the past four weeks now, she had been mourning her daughter and Bonnie felt for her. She even advised her to stay off work but Maria gave the excuse that it would only give space for thinking and she might even end up dead if she worried too much.

She came to work every day and behaved like everything was okay but Bonnie could see beyond her that she was shattered. And now, for two days now, she had refused to come to work. She had gone over to her house and found out she was not in. she felt scared and prayed everyday for her and she decided that if she didn’t show up today, she was going to call the cops and declare her missing.

She headed back to the counter and sighed sadly and wished the girl would even rethink her life and take God seriously but Maria was still harboring bitterness about everything, now she had no one and she was getting to mix religion with Christianity. The faith that she believed in and had been keeping her strong all the while and didn’t feel jealous that Maria had even gotten married before her even when she was older. She was waiting for the right person. Bonnie was a beautiful woman in and out and was often referred to as a chocolate beauty in the restaurant. Long hair trimmed to the shoulders which she usually held with a clip while working and perfect set of teeth to match. Camilla and Vanessa, her other colleague working with her assumed she had been using braces as a child and lots of attention was given to her teeth. Some even envied her while the rest teased her.

She picked up her bag and sat down as she remembered what she had been planning for so long. She wanted to go for a trip and see the other side of the world, take a break for a week or two before coming back to work. She brought out the book pamphlet of what the place she had dreamed of going ever since and sighed.

‘Niagara falls.’ She read and threw back the pamphlet into her bag. She asked herself if she was doing the right thing by booking the flight the day after tomorrow and closed her eyes. Maybe she might even find the right one.’ She thought to herself and smiled. But she couldn’t leave Maria with her present condition, and at the same time, the desire to travel filled her.

She was still thinking of her decision when the door swung open and Maria came hurrying inside towards her.

‘where in the world have you been! I’ve been calling you for the past…..’

‘I’m sorry…, I couldn’t. Bonnie…’

Bonnie looked into her eyes and knew that something serious had come up. ‘honey…, is something wrong?’

‘we need to talk in private.’ She gibbered and Bonnie could feel her cold palms in hers. They entered into one of the rooms inside the restaurant and stood together at the edge of the room while others busied themselves with work.

‘well…’

‘oh bonnie…, I don’t know what to do.’ She broke into tears and all her friend could do was take her into her arms and pat her back. ‘take it easy sugar, be calm and tell me what’s going on.’

Maria managed to compose herself and rubbed her eyes. Bonnie held her face and looked into her eyes, ‘honey, something’s up and I want you to tell me yourself. What is going on with you?’

‘I’m pregnant Bonnie, I didn’t know how I was going to handle it and so I stayed away for two days locked up in the house wondering what to do, how real it was and I had to confirm in the hospital today.’

‘this is crazy, how did you get hooked so fast, one night stand with a guy I don’t know about, some rebound guy?’

‘you don’t understand…’

‘jeez Maria…, at least you would have called me and I would have come over if you were grieving.’

‘Bonnie!’ Maria jerked her angrily, ‘you’re not listening to me, it’s not a guy you don’t know, and it’s not like I got drunk in a club and got hooked to some loser…’

‘oh, so he’s family?’

‘you’re not making this easy for me Bonnie.’

‘I’m sorry…, I’m truly sorry, it’s just that I’ve been worried about you thinking you’ve pulled some crazy stunts or tried to hurt yourself and I was beginning to think I was too selfish to let you grieve the night Amanda died and all stuff…, I wanted you to know you’ll be fine. You’ve got a family here even when Salma’s gone.’

‘I know and that’s why I’m telling you this.’

They kept silent for a while staring at each other till Bonnie decided to break the ice. ‘so, who’s responsible?’

Maria swallowed, ‘that’s what I’m not sure I want to talk about.’ She began turning away when Bonnie pulled her back.

’you can’t hide it for long, you know.’

‘promise me you won’t mention a word to anyone.’

‘I promise.’

‘joe.’

‘excuse me?’ she blinked severally. ‘you’re not serious, are you?’

‘I’m dead serious.’

‘wait a minute, you’ve got a whole lot of explaining to do girl…, is it the joe we both know, ‘your ex-husband or some other joe?’

‘my ex-husband.’

‘and when did you two join hands in marriage once again?’

‘it happened unconsciously, I don’t know what came over me, what came over us. The night that Amanda died, I felt so lost, so alone, so depressed and when he came close to comfort me, it just happened. I wasn’t expecting anything but we just…oh bonnie, you don’t believe me, do you?’ her voice trailed off and she bit her lower lip.

‘the two of you made a baby while grieving, am I right?’

‘yeah’

‘and this same ex- is still going to get married or Is already married to someone else?’

‘I guess so.’

‘then why not break the news to him.’

‘and what would that do, make him come running to me, make him hold me and tell me that he loves me and he’s sorry for not being a father to Amanda and he’s going to make everything right?..., bullshit.’

‘and so what do you intend doing, sit down on your couch and weep with tissue boxes all over the bed, and raise the child alone?’

‘I don’t know what I should do about the child.’

‘You’re not thinking about getting rid of it, are you?’

‘Far from it, I need time to think about what is inside me and I’m not about to let a man decide my fate or the fate of this child this time. If it means raising it alone, fine, the fewer complications, the better’
Bonnie stared at her friend for a while and she prayed inside her for what next to say. An idea popped into her head and she headed for her bag. She brought out the pamphlet of her dreams and gave it to Maria.

‘Take the time off, think about what you want to do with your life and your unborn child and make the right decisions before coming back. You need a place like this to clear your head. No interruptions, no intrusions, just decisions and call me to tell me how you want to live your new life.’

‘No…, no…I can’t do this.’ She shook her head staring at the pamphlet. ‘This is your dream Bonnie; I won’t be the one to take it away from you.’

‘Then be my friend and take it to make the right decision. Even if it’s for me, which is where I would have gone to make my decision also if something like this happened to me. For your sake and for your baby’s…’

‘Maria.., is Maria in there? Vanessa called out

‘we’re busy.’ Bonnie shouted back

‘there’s a guy asking for her outside.’

‘just a sec!’

‘he’s good looking.’ Camilla added. ‘goes by the name Carlos.’

Maria turned sharply. She looked at Bonnie and then headed outside to see the visitor that the girls were yelling over her head for. Just as she stepped onto the counter, her eyes came in contact with a familiar pair. He was sitting there alright staring at her, his brown eyes reminding her of her first love. It had been years but she could still trace those features and that face anytime. His thick eyebrows were shaped over handsome features of a finely chiseled face and well tanned skin and his hair was neatly combed.

She felt her heart racing faster and would have tripped if she didn’t get a grip of herself. Walking up to him, she embraced him on impulse and he wasn’t intending to leave her till the moment of full realization that they were seeing each other after a long while suddenly dawned on them. Their embrace made her want to weep but she pulled herself together suspecting that the pregnancy was what was making her feel so soft and cry at little things.

‘still as beautiful as ever.’ He praised as they settled down together and her hands were still in his. Maria could tell with her side view that Bonnie’s eyes were strictly on her.

‘how did you know how I was.., where I was.’ She asked looking into his eyes.

‘i looked and I searched the whole wide world for you…’ he murmured raising her hand to his lips and kissing it, appreciating the fact that there was no ring on her finger. He smiled to himself, she was still single, it was a good sign.’

‘and you found me.’ She concluded and held his face.

‘let’s get out of here, somewhere more private.’ He whispered to her and Maria could tell she was going to have a long day with her childhood sweetheart.

‘give me a minute.’ She said and went over to get her bag. Bonnie caught her by the arm.

‘and I suppose the cute guy is your brother?’

‘an old friend.’ Was all she said

‘I hope you know what you’re doing.’ She warned giving her a stern look and glanced at the guy. The guy was not looking at her as an old friend but like a long time lover.

‘I’ll call you, tonight.’

And bonnie watched her leave with Carlos.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Obassy(f): 8:55pm On May 30, 2013
Oops......... Pls continue

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:53pm On May 30, 2013
Chapater 6 continued

It was late by the time Carlos was driving Maria back home and she couldn’t deny she had enjoyed herself so much after three years. They had gone to a coffee shop where they had talked over dessert . It was like the day would never end and Carlos had it in mind that he would come again and pick her tomorrow. They had even shared ice-cream together. He asked about her life and she told him, married once and the marriage didn’t work out. She never included Amanda anyway. She asked about his life and he told her everything, how he had finished college in the U.K and how his father intended him to get established over there while his mother insisted he come over back to Santa fe and perhaps get established in America. And the first thing he remembered was the girl who had stolen his heart away. He fell in love with someone over there, no doubt but it didn’t work out as well. He apologized for not being there and perhaps so selfish he didn’t call to ask how she was doing and how her parent’s were, and her mother dying and all. He didn’t know much of her past or what she had suffered and she wasn’t ready to go into details. Not yet.

‘I enjoyed every minute with you.’ He whispered as he stopped in her neighborhood.

‘me too.’

He leaned closer to her and kissed her cheeks. ‘wanna invite me in for coffee?’

Maria’s heart was racing faster and her throat went dry. She knew if she allowed him in, they were not only going to have coffee, it was definitely going to lead to something more.

His nearness wasn’t making her concentrate. His lips finally moved to her lips but she jerked away quickly on impulse.

He was shocked because he looked at her confusingly, ‘I’m sorry, did I hurt you?’

‘no.’ she swallowed and looked away. Her life was getting complicated by kissing one man and carrying another man’s baby. Why hadn’t he come five years earlier, seven years before now or probably three years before?

He raised his hand to her chin. ‘you don’t have to invite me in if you don’t feel like it. We have all the time in this world to spend together and I’m a patient man.’

She nodded.

‘I can’t lose you again.’ He dropped his hand. ‘goodnight.’

‘goodnight.’ She replied and got down from the car.

She watched him drive off before heading to her door. When she got inside, she locked the door immediately and sank to the floor. She had to call Bonnie, now!

Going immediately to the phone with her bag, she dialed her friend’s number, good, at least she would still be awake. It was just ten o’clock.

‘Bonnie here, who’s this?

‘It’s me sleepy head.’

‘Maria..., hey… y’kay?’

‘Fine…’

‘You sound guilty, did something pop up?’

‘I just got home.’

‘Great...did you do something crazy?’

‘No, I did not silly!’

‘Good…, do you need me to come over?’

Maria looked around the house and knew she needed someone right now or she might get tempted to call Carlos or easily get bored. It would take her a long time to sleep and she needed company tonight.

‘Yeah…,I guess so.’

‘K…, be there in ten minutes. Prepare me tortilla chips with salsa or guacamole before I get there to keep me awake. I can get to chew lots before bed time.’

‘If that will make you come, its okay, we’ll cook together.’

‘Ten minutes.’ She repeated and hung up.

Maria smiled and deep within, thanked God for Bonnie Williams.

Bonnie kept her promise and came over exactly ten minutes after the call. Maria opened the door and left for the kitchen just to return with popcorn and soda cans.

‘you’re joking, ‘ her friend watched in disdain as she headed towards the living room.

‘probably…, to make this joke end, you can step into the kitchen and get the tortilla chips done. I’m so tired I can’t cook anything tonight and I’m filled anyway.’

Bonnie finally settled into the chair and murmured, ‘and to think I actually got away from my bed to get hooked unto popcorn and a movie with you, this must be ridiculous…’ she began to chew. ‘you’re lucky you’re pregnant or I did have made you pay for this.’

‘how?’

‘Beat that nice tan off you till you’re white.’

‘so, you’ll beat me from tan to white, never heard of it but that sounds nice.’ She popped popcorn into her mouth and stretched her legs on Bonnie.

The girl pushed it away. ‘Go look for your husband.’

Maria smiled sheepishly, ‘I don’t have one. This baby is mine, mine alone.’ She closed her eyes and threw her head backward as if the full realization of what she was saying was just dawning on her but she shook the thoughts away. She wasn’t going to tell Joe and he would never know the child was his. If possible, he would have forgotten their one night of passion although she knew she could never forget.

‘and you aunty Bonnie.’ She mocked, ‘are going to be it’s godmother.’

Bonnie relaxed and watched her return her legs to her lap and she shook her head. She was glad her friend was trying so much to put the past beside her and move on in life, but what if she was alone, would she compromise and probably get involved with this new guy she had met today. He looked promising, but looks were deceitful and she was unwise to have fallen for looks years ago although she was really working on her past. If she hadn’t learnt her lesson, she might have ended up in the same shoes now of being alone.

‘And so, how was your date?’

‘Fine.’ She replied briefly. Bonnie knew she didn’t want to go further and so she pressed on.

‘And did you have so much fun?’

‘Yeah…, fun I’ve not had in years since I had a child. A child I cherished with my whole being…, a child I already made future plans for but it was so convenient for her to leave me. Just when I thought…’ the tears were already starting to pool in her eyes again and she held them. ‘just when I thought everything was going to be alright, God took her away from me.’

‘It’s okay to cry.’

‘I hate crying Bonnie, I wanna be strong like the way I look to people, not some cry baby shedding tears for an ex-husband and a lost child. I want to move on in life and start again. With a different environment, a different kind of love and life, I want to have a child that would love me and talk to me and tell me everything and I want a father who can love him unconditionally…, is that too much to ask?’

‘we want the exact same thing and we’re not being selfish, we’re just fantasizing in a real world of complications and a world where people just want to have sex before they realize you have feelings and then decide if they can go on with you or not.’

‘I almost thought I was going to fall tonight.’ Maria confessed

‘Fall for what?’

‘He asked to come in and he asked in such a way that I would have agreed.’

‘And so what made you disagree?’

She sighed sadly and almost felt guilty at the thought. ‘I thought of my baby and I actually had the idea that if he slept with me, I could tell him I’m carrying his child weeks later.’

“Maria!’

‘I’m human.’ She suddenly felt repulsed at the thought of what she wanted to earlier. ‘virgin Mary…, have mercy.’ She started to cry again

‘hey, sugar, don’t cry, you didn’t do it, did you?’

‘but I thought of it and God knows what I would have done if I didn’t have you to call and spend the night with me. I feel disgusted for even thinking that a few hours ago. Carlos is a nice and sweet guy and I can’t bear to lie to him.’

‘do you think there’s any future for the both of you?’

‘with the way he talked tonight, I think he’ll keep in touch and even thinks I might be the one. I don’t know how I’ll tell him about the child.’

‘step by step Maria, don’t rush into things.’

‘I’m not, I ‘m just trying to secure a good future for my child and I have to make up my mind before I have a protruding stomach.’

Just then, the phone rang.

Maria glanced at her friend and picked it up. ‘hello.’

‘hi, Maria?’

‘Carlos?’ she was surprised she could also recognize his voice over the phone. Was their chemistry that strong…., after such a long time?

‘hey pumpkin…, did you miss me?’

‘a little.’ She confessed and she hoped it was not due to grief she was feeling this, the last time she had been grieving, it had ended her up in bed with her ex-husband.

‘good, cos I’m already feeling like I should have done better in convincing you.’

‘how?’

‘dunno…,’he replied huskily. ‘Perhaps nuzzling your neck.’

Maria gulped. Her child hood sweetheart was growing bolder every minute and he wasn’t hiding it. The boy she knew years ago as her first love had been so calm and gave her time to think.

Her conscience told her to drop but she clutched the phone boldly and asked, ‘and don’t you think you’ll be taking advantage of me?’

‘I won’t call it advantage, I’ll call it having fun that makes sense, only this makes it serious between us.’

Maria’s gaze went to Bonnie and she could tell the girl was about to snatch the phone from her. She knew when a conversation was getting intimate. She succeeded anyway.

‘hello…’ she greeted

‘Maria?’

‘no, this is Bonnie, Maria’s best friend and I was just about warning you to let my friend think over her life instead of talking sex over the phone.’

Maria wanted to snatch it from her but she gave her a stern look and slipped away avoiding her hand.

‘bonnie!’ she mouthed angrily but the older lady ignored her and continued. ‘you just met today for crying out loud and you start talking mushy mushy over the phone telling her she should invite you in for what…,coffee?!...you should be ashamed of yourself, Mr. Carlos.’

‘who’s this?’ he asked calmly. ‘Because from the way you’re talking, you don’t know where Maria and I are coming from.’

‘Definitely not from the moon!’ she replied and hung up.

‘I made a mistake by inviting you here.’

‘if you hadn’t, that guy would be here in the next five minutes reading poems on your body, trust me.’ She grabbed her soda can and took a gulp. ‘we haven’t finished our discussion…, come over and sit.’

Maria went over to join her reluctantly. ‘the fact that you’re thirty five and I’m just thirty doesn’t mean you’re my mother or my mentor.’

‘be grateful you have someone like me.’

‘I really need that time off. With Carlos calling me like this, I won’t think right.’

‘and so, have you decided on taking my option?’

‘yours was never an option, it was a conclusion.’

‘And so…’

She yawned, ‘lets go to bed, I’ll sleep over it. It’s my life we’re talking about.’
‘go to bed, I’ll join you later. I hope you don’t still roll over or I’m giving you a good kicking that’ll wake you from the dream land.’

‘Yeah, like you’re the crazy one. Tidy up before coming over.’ She stood up and left.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by kemiola89(f): 10:16pm On May 30, 2013
Awww! Quite touching. Amanda's plan was to bring the family back together before departing. I hope her plan 'd finally work out sha. Lets see how it unfolds. I like the twist in your story, never thought Amanda would be gone this soon, quite heartbroking. I must commend you for the great effort put to make this interesting piece, thumps up to you girl, you rock and pls don't make us beg for updates oo.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by pyaar(f): 6:44am On May 31, 2013
All ℓ can say ȋ̝̊̅§ 'wow'. Ʊ really are a good writer. ℓ'm already picturing it as ℓ'm reading. Pls kip it up, its rili great.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by ayobami52(m): 10:55am On May 31, 2013
am loving the story more and more, I hope d unborn baby bring bck Maria and joe.... keep d work going... its in you, you got the quality of a good writer

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:43pm On May 31, 2013
Joe stood staring outside the window of his office and for once, he admired the beautiful sea that was miles from where he stood and tucking his hands in his pocket, he closed his eyes to inhale deeply and he suddenly wished he was standing directly before the sea.

‘c’mon!..., I wanna show you something!’ he could hear himself calling out to Maria and trying to pull her to see the beautiful sunset. She hurried behind him and stopped when she saw the beautiful sunset trailing down towards the horizon and for once, she actually thought it was going to take foot on earth but it stood amidst the clouds giving credence to all creation that came together to make the sunset a wonderful sight on earth.

‘wow!, this is so amazing.’ She embraced him from behind. ‘so this is the surprise?’

‘do you like it?’ he brought her to face him and they stood on the rocks together hearing the water splash behind them.

‘I love it, God’s creation is awesome.’

‘you’re awesome.’ He had said with his heart in his eyes.

She snuggled up to him. ‘lets go home.’

He snapped his eyes open and the full realization of the empty office crept inside him and he swept his hands through his dark hair. Since the last three weeks that he came back to Michigan from his ex-wife’s place, he hadn’t been himself lately. A little part of his work suffered because he was having sleepless nights. He tried sleeping and he dreamed of Amanda and the way she had fainted in his arms. He tried talking to Tiffany but images of what happened between he and Maria kept popping up and he thought he was going crazy. he even called Tiffany Maria once and he had to spend the whole day explaining to her that it meant nothing and it was due to Amanda’s death that got him thinking.

He wasn’t even himself anymore and he had not told Tiffany to move back into his house. He was still grieving but she still insisted they get married soon, probably at the end of the month. He totally agreed, if that would take his thoughts off Maria and how lonely she would be without her child and how she had gladly thrown him out.

‘it never happened.’ He could remember the words so clearly and he wondered how he who was usually strong was allowing those words to move him.

He had actually stood up to prepare breakfast for her trying to compensate for what had happened to their daughter

‘a fool. He was a perfect fool for letting her arouse feelings in him for her and he was a complete idiot for suddenly becoming soft with her, and kissing her…, that was the most ridiculous thing he had done in his life time. To ease her pain, he had kissed her, wait till Jason heard it. She had responded alright and it was like she had been waiting for him. Oh goodness, this was terrible. His head was in turmoil right now, but he was going to keep everything under control, just like he’d always done. He was Joe Brandon and he was going to go on with his life like nothing happened.

Maria was his past, and Tiffany was his present and future. He was going to keep reminding himself about that reality.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:46pm On May 31, 2013
chapter 7

Maria relaxed in her hotel room wondering how the week had suddenly gone so fast and how she was going to take another week off.

‘Just one week more. ‘ she thought to herself and she would be flying back to the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois but before then, she had to decide what she wanted out of life and if she was acting wise by allowing Carlos into her life. He had called her again before she had finally left. He was serious, he seemed to be. Carlos was everything she ever dreamed of getting married to from the beginning but he came eight years late, or perhaps seven. He left without even saying goodbye. She wondered if she was still married how she would have coped with him coming around. Well, she would have coped well, because she would still be in love and have more kids than Amanda but now, she felt like a desperate woman.

A woman dumped twice…, no just once. The second time with Joe she had sent him away and made him feel guilty, if he still had a conscience. Most men these days didn’t have. She allowed herself to relish the thought of what would happen if she told Tiffany that her so called fiancée had slept with her weeks before their marriage. It would be so disastrous and their baby, well Joe would be stunned.

She shook the thoughts away and decided it wasn’t worth it. Joe Brandon wasn’t worth it and he was never going to know about the child, never! She would ensure that. She wanted a new life, filled with fewer complications and she was going to tell Carlos about the baby and if he loved her so much to stay, then all was settled. She rose from her bed and strolled towards her bag trying to see what she could reflect on to pass on the evening. Picking up Amanda’s picture and one of the books she had observed the girl loved to write things or draw, she settled into a chair and looked at her. She traced the smiling face and felt the sting of tears again. She shut her eyes and told herself she was done with crying. When she was clearing the girl’s room before coming over, she had spent the whole day crying and wishing and so, she wasn’t going to do that again. The girl was gone and another had come to stay. She had to keep reminding herself about that.

She removed the book she brought and a paper and a picture fell from it. She was surprised since she hadn’t seen that before. Curious, she picked it up and noticed the matchstick drawing of a man, a woman and a child in between. Two older women stood beside the family and she later recognized the sketch to be of Melissa and Grandmother Tara although it was spelt wrongly. She saw the words. ‘I love my family.’ Faintly written and she hurriedly dropped it to see the other picture. It was an old picture, probably five years ago and it was a picture where she and Joe were together on the beach smiling and kissing baby Amanda.

Feeling weak and helpless, she sank to the floor and didn’t know when the tears began streaming down her cheeks. All Amanda wanted was a family but she never gave the girl one. The bitterness of everything came brewing and she allowed it to surround her till the room where she sat began to feel like it was choking her. The air was suffocating and stuffy. She hated how life had treated her and she began to wish she could have killed her father herself and she would gladly go to jail for it and his accomplices…, she wanted to watch them scream, the people who ruined her life, who showed up years again to claim her like they owned her. They were the ones meant to pay, to suffer not her, but it seemed to be the only way round. She looked around and knew she wanted to leave the room. She had to. It wasn’t really dark yet and she felt she needed more air than the room was giving her.

Hurrying outside, she walked and kept walking till her head told her she had taken enough strides and she was standing almost directly before the waterfalls. The water falls were magnificent and she paled on the beautiful sight at night. It looked beautiful and it rushed out like an early morning spring eager to leave it’s source. The clouds were getting darker but she didn’t budge. Nobody even seemed to notice her standing on the bridge that was used by tourist in the day time. Her mind suddenly began to work and she thought of committing suicide. Snapping the thoughts away and wondering where they came from, she started to cry. She wanted to. It was draining her but she didn’t care. Now, she could see Amanda’s face staring back at her and pain ripped her heart. Hot tears burned in her eyes for the loss of her child’s life and she could almost hear her daughter telling her she was better where she was.

The rain drops began to fall and a thunder struck jerking her to realize it was not safe to be here alone.

She had to find her way back to the hotel as she was already drenched. She couldn’t even see where she was going anymore and her hair was blocking her vision and then so suddenly, she heard a voice behind her. It was a male one and his voice sounded like he was out for a mission.

‘Well, lucky you, or should I say, lucky us.’ His words were not well pronounced implying that his English was not clean and she moved back out of impulse.

‘who’re you?’ she gulped

He laughed and it scared her, ‘let’s just say one of the tourists who found himself lucky to be outside in this rain with a beautiful woman, all by herself.’

‘I think I better start finding my way…’ she gibbered and tried to walk past him but he grabbed her arm. She tried to break free but his iron grip held her captive.

‘and lose out on all the fun, that wouldn’t be nice.’ His other hand went to her shirt and he was about pulling it apart when her hand went to his face. The crack only made him move but that didn’t prevent him from pushing her against the floor. She tried crawling away but he grabbed her and wanted to force himself on her. She reached for his face again but this time with the back of her hand rolled into a fist. Nose bleeding, he began to curse and swear and slapped her fiercely. He hit her hard trying to make her go unconscious but Maria knew the tactics way too well. She thought of her baby and fought hard and raised her hand to his nose once again. He weakened and she hurriedly stood, rushing towards the end of the bridge for safety but she suddenly felt herself jerking forward and falling against the edge. She was about to scream at the sudden realization of what the man was about to do but the second jerk gave her no chance till she found herself hanging loosely on a rail. she saw the guy walking away and knew if she kept on screaming, no one would hear her in the rain

She could feel her feet high above the great waterfall and she could even feel the water almost draining her. Her grip on the iron support was loosening and she knew this was the end of her life if she didn’t hold on tight. The rain drops were reducing the friction that supported her

The last thing she heard was her scream echoing high above her.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Diamonddamsel: 6:59am On Jun 01, 2013
Very interesting please upload more.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by olaolayink(m): 12:11pm On Jun 01, 2013
please stop keeping me waiting.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Bantino(m): 2:31pm On Jun 01, 2013
Very interesting, hoping that nothing happens to Maria. Please, we want some more.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Jacob50(m): 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
Glued 2 my fone.......awaitin updates

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
Diamonddamsel: Very interesting please upload more.
ok smiley
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
‘ your mother’s going to kill me for letting you out in the rain.’ The older man complained as he watched his son standing like a portrait in the boat enjoying the rain drops on his skin.

‘we get to do this only once uncle Brian.’ The younger looking kid said staring right ahead and watching his cousin act like the rain was some sort of nourishment. His uncle ignored him and wished he had not said anything. It was only going to boost Trevor’s ego. The nerve on the kid. It was the mother that could handle him.

‘I get to enjoy the tourist center near our home without being a tourist.’ Trevor said.

‘boring!’Danny, his cousin drawled. Can’t you think of something interesting other than that.’

‘I can think of something…’ he cut him short. ‘Your head!’ he yelled and before Brian knew what was going on, the two were already in a childish fight.

‘and I thought I had adults as sons.’ He mumbled. ‘hey!..., not in the rain, please.’

Trevor pushed his cousin aside, ‘c’mon kitty, you heard Dad, not in the rain.’

‘chicken!’ Danny spat and would have rushed at his cousin again if not for control.

‘the little child’s shivering dad, we’ d better hurry.’ He mocked

‘I can’t wait to get home, even Susan can’t stop me from knocking some sense into you.’

Trevor laughed and the moment passed between them. Suddenly, Danny turned sharply.

‘did you hear that?’

‘what?’ Trevor asked

‘I thought I heard someone scream.’

‘like this?....owhhhhh…..’ Trevor mimicked a childish scream.

‘no, you idiot, a real scream…, like…’ he looked up but the rain clouded his vision. ‘never mind.’

‘Dad, I think Dan has started hearing things. Think we need him to go see a shrink?’

His cousin punched him and he laughed.

‘I think I heard it too.’ Brian said

‘so that makes the two of you.’

‘no, it’s just you who’s the odd one out bro, so you need to get help on those ears of yours.’ Danny looked at his uncle. ‘think something’s wrong?’

‘I hope not.’

There was another scream and this time Trevor turned sharply and looked up. ‘it’s like the scream is directly above us.’

‘I thought you were never going to hear.’

‘something’s not right.’ Brian stopped ignoring their engine boat that suddenly stopped moving. That was probably why they had been able to hear the scream. He was still thinking of what to do when someone came falling right before them and there was a big splash that propelled them backwards.

‘did you see that?’

Brian and Trevor nodded dumbly and looked up again but no sign of anybody. Trevor immediately removed his shoes and dove into the water after the body that fell. The water swallowed him the way it had swallowed the body but he was a good swimmer and his eyes scanned properly for what had fallen. Running out of air, he swam to the top and took a deep breath.

‘Anything?’

‘not yet.’ he dived back into the water and went deeper this time. He hoped whoever the person was had not been thrown dead into the water or he and his family would have lots of queries to face.

Just as he was about giving up again, he caught sight of a colored dress and a woman’s body occupied it. It didn’t take him much time to swim upwards with her.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
‘she looks dead.’ Danny murmured

‘I wonder how far she fell.’ The assistant manager of the hotel she had checked in stared pitifully at her as she lay unconscious on the stretcher

‘It would be a pity for a beauty like her to end up wasted.’

‘she’s unconscious, hit her head on a rock or two.’ A doctor murmured. ‘she has a pulse.’

‘but she’ll be alright, won’t she?’ trevor asked worriedly. He felt so much for the woman

‘of course.’ He replied looking at his father. ‘I suppose you’re a religious man. Your prayers could help her you know.’’

‘do we get to enter into the hospital with her?’

‘no, the last thing we need is a crowd. You’ve done your part Mr…’

‘graham.’

‘you can keep in touch.’ The door to the ambulance opened and he entered closing the door as the bus sped off to the nearest hospital.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

A week after, Maria still laid on the bed, looking lifeless. A big bandage was wound around her arm and her head. Cannulas were inserted into her body and since the day after the waterfall accident, there was no physical activity from her and her eyes had been closed ever since.

Her new friends came to see her daily praying for her and putting flowers by her bedside so that one day when she was finally going to wake up, she would know there were people who cared for her and loved her, most especially, God.

The doctor had told them the truth bluntly. She was going to survive but there was a problem, she wasn’t going to remember her past anymore. Amnesia, he called it and so she was not going to remember people from her past or people from her past anymore. ‘Retrograde amnesia’ he interpreted it to them and it would take lots of effort and time to bring to memory what she knew.

‘ I hear the closest person to her has been contacted and will probably be coming over to check her tomorrow.’ Brian said out of concern

‘that’s true but it’ll do her a lot of good if you stick around and see how she is when she wakes if you’re so concerned about her. It’s important that the first person she at least sees is the person who saved her life.’

Brian nodded and watched the doctor walk away. He glanced at his wristwatch and he knew he had to start heading back home if he didn’t want Sara to start worrying about him. It was already enough that his wife worried about the woman in the accident and the last thing he wanted to do was couple that up.

He was still thinking about the unconscious woman when he left the hospital.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:36pm On Jun 01, 2013
Bonnie remained restless and blamed herself for everything when she was called about Maria’s accident. The phone call had been very brief summoning her over to Niagara and every other thing will be explained to her. She didn’t mention a thing to the girls and was praying desperately for what to do knowing that she was never going to forgive herself if anything worse happened to her best friend. She didn’t even know who to call and she wasn’t about to call Salma or Antonio…., or Joe? Maria was going to hate her if she included the man in her life and so she allowed it to skip her mind. But what about his baby, their baby…, she hoped the baby was going to be alright or Maria will cry herself to death.

Bonnie sighed greatly. This wasn’t getting easier by the moments as she battled with different thoughts. She couldn’t bear the news alone; at least she had gone far by flying over to Niagara falls at once and now she had to think of what next to do. Someone had to be here with her who was going to know about the pregnancy and the person had to be from Joe’s family. What of Joe’s grandmother…, owhhhh, she couldn’t disturb the nice old lady even if she wanted to. That seemed to be the only Brandon that understood Maria except for one person.

Joe’s father, Denver Brandon.

The man was a Christian, no doubt and he would listen to her and follow her. At least, that was the only person Maria had trusted her with and had concluded out of several jokes that if something ever happened to her, Denver was the one she could rely on to keep a secret or call upon apart from Tara and Melissa.

She looked at the number again and didn’t waste any more time.
‘’’’’’’;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

It took Denver Brandon all his nerves not to call his son after the lady called him. Joe was meant to be seeing to his ex-wife and not relaxing with some other blonde who seemed to be taking his attention these days and not even giving him time to come and see him.

Jason still tried but this was the second year the boy had not been to see him. He knew why the boy found it difficult to come home and couldn’t blame the child. He was the one that took his mother’s death to heart and the place reminded him of the sweet mother he had growing up as a teenager although he had been a little rebellious but Margaret had been a wonderful woman and that was the reason why he was still unmarried. He hadn’t found someone as sweet and faithful as his wife and the rest was left up to God.

Denver didn’t look his age. He was 57 and yet, he still had the looks. He was tall and strong except that he wasn’t building up like his sons were. His dark hair was always combed neatly and there was a little graying in his temples giving him that handsome look but like Joe, he pretended not to know how good looking women commented him to be. Someone had actually thought him to be 40.

He snatched up his phone and wallet and called for his house keeper, Melanie telling her that he was not going to return tonight and that she should take care of his mother Tara.

He had an urgent plane to catch.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:01pm On Jun 02, 2013
Episode 8.

Bonnie thought she was going to faint waiting at the café near the hospital where she had been instructed to stay. She had taken about ten cups of coffee and her eyes were open like fire observing everything going on around her including each person that entered the café.
Just when she was already thinking this was perhaps a wrong move, a man walked in and looked around for a while before his gaze finally settled on her and the satisfied look propelled him to come closer. At first sight, she could have thought it was Joe but as he came closer, his features began to reveal itself and she could tell this was the person she had been waiting for. The last time she had seen him was Maria’s wedding and he had not changed a lot till now.

She had to hold herself from deep scrutiny although her eyes weren’t permitting her. He was as handsome as his son. His wife was sure a lucky person to have her husband still looking fit, lean and tall and tapered to a trim waist. Clad in a navy blue turtle neck and a nice jacket over nice pair of faded jeans. For a moment, the grey hair on his temples seemed to have a silver look and neatly swept with the rich black hair making him look like one of those middle aged actors. He came over to join her.

‘you must be Bonnie Williams…’

She swallowed and smiled. ‘and you must be Denver…’

‘then I’m safe.’ He joked and extended his hand. ‘pleased to meet you.’

‘same here.’

‘sorry I kept you waiting. Traffic, the unexpected call and unexpected flight bookings, I hope I didn’t inconvenience you.’

‘you did.’ She confessed bluntly. ‘I was starting to think I made the wrong decision.’

‘by calling me?’

‘’by getting involved with a Brandon once again.’

His eyes twinkled, ‘which one of us do you have a problem with?’

‘for starters, your son, then you could join the queue.’

Denver smiled at the blunt remarks of the woman sitting before him and he loved that challenging and blunt attitude she possessed. She was black, no doubt but she was one of the rare women he was getting to like as a friend and that he had to compliment that she was beautiful. That compliment was hidden inside his heart. The woman might even hit him for complimenting her thinking he might want to make a pass at her.

‘I’m going to trust you for some reasons Denver.’ She looked serious. ‘the fact that you’re a Christian and the fact that Maria seems to like you as an ex-father-in-law.’

‘I’m listening…’

‘and the fact that she told me not to tell anybody but I’m breaking this rule for you alone before we walk into the hospital together.’

When he didn’t respond, she let out a great sigh. ‘Maria’s pregnant and I’m scared to walk through that door because I’m afraid of what the doctor will say.’

Denver’s forehead furrowed. ‘a baby?..., is she in delivery or…’

‘no Denver, it’s more complicated than you think.’

‘bring me into the light.’

‘Maria was carrying your son’s child before the accident and I’ve just arrived here to see what the doctor is going to say. To tell you the truth, I heard about it one week ago but I stayed back in Illinois blaming and hating myself for letting her take a vacation which will end up killing the child she carries. I finally got the courage to face whatever
I have to face.’ She sniffed and covered her face with her hands. ‘oh God!....’

‘hey, it’s okay…, you can’t blame yourself.’ Denver pleaded and leaned closer to touch her hands. He thought she was going to pull back but she accepted it with gratitude. He was still confused about the pregnancy the lady talked about or was she delusion into thinking that his son and Maria were still together? as if reading his mind she added, ‘the pregnancy was a mistake, Amanda died and they were both grieving. One thing led to another and you know the rest…’

‘Amanda is dead?’

Bonnie blinked with tear rimmed eyes. ‘you don’t know…, you mean Joe didn’t tell you anything?’

Denver pulled away at the sudden news and frowned. ‘is this some kind of joke?’

‘well if it is, don’t forget I’m the worst comedian you can ever have.’ Bonnie blurted out of anger and stood from her chair. ‘I should have known…’

‘hey…, hey please…, I’m sorry. I apologize.’ He pleaded and held her hand. She reluctantly settled back into her chair.

‘ this is all coming to me as a big surprise…’ he ran his hands through his hair and exhaled deeply ‘and like puzzles I have to fix them.’

‘I’m sorry. If I knew that you’ve been in the dark about this all this while, I would have taken my time.’ She apologized and held his hand this time. ‘Amanda died about five weeks ago and Joe had come over to see her that night to work things out.’ She smiled sadly. ‘the child was even getting to talk and the next thing Maria said she could remember was the child collapsing and the doctor’s final conclusion that she was dead. She couldn’t bear it and Joe had no other way to comfort her. She wasn’t going to be comforted. And then she needed someone to cry on, someone to tell her everything was a dream and that everything was going to be alright and Joe was the one who felt he could ease that pain she was going through and she needed him badly. One thing led to another and weeks later, she finds out she’s pregnant.’

‘Does Joe know about it…,I mean the baby?

‘He’s the last person she wants to know and I’m sure he’ll be married by now or preparing to.’

Denver stared hard at her and his mind swirled. What if this accident had not happened, he would have known nothing and Maria would have said nothing but raised the child alone without a father or probably a different father and it would be in his later years that he would find out that his grandchild was dead but everything was going to be different now.

God surely had a hand in this.

There was one more thing that they needed to do together to make their decision strong.
‘which hospital did you say she was?’

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

FEIRE - A Romance Story / SCHOOL LIFE / TAMISHO - My Story. My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.