Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,908 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

A Story: Broken Vows - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Story: Broken Vows (96092 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Chapter 8 continued

Denver took his time to recollect all that the doctor had said and was glad only for one thing.

Her baby was safe.

His grandchild was safe.

But it was going to be a different Maria when she opened her eyes. That was going to be the tough part of everything.

He watched Bonnie sitting beside her and stirred inwardly at such deep friendship between two women from different worlds united by a strong word called love. He had to fight the urge to join her inside and pat her that everything was going to be alright. When he couldn’t fight the urge anymore, he headed inside and stood behind her touching her shoulders. She rested against him unconsciously and sighed and he could tell that she was very exhausted.

‘you should get some rest.’ He suggested.

‘I want to be the first person she sees when she opens her eyes and tell her that she and her baby are doing fine.’

‘I’ll stay. You need to get some rest or you’ll mess up that pretty chocolate face I admire so much.’

‘I must look a sight don’t i?’

‘I can manage.’ He smiled and watched her rise to face him. Your wife must be worried about you’

‘I wish I had one.’ He answered calmly.

Bonnie frowned. ‘let me guess, you two also got divorced?’

‘if we were, I’ll still be praying to God for some kind of miracle.’ His brows rose. ‘she died years ago.’

‘I’m sorry.’

‘no need to be’ he ushered her towards the door and they walked out together. ‘it’s been a long time.’

‘how many years?’

‘twelve years.’

‘And you haven’t seen the woman who’ll sweep you off your feet and tell you how good looking you are since twelve years?’

‘The one who shares my faith is something to consider and not just wealth and looks. Love is hard to find these days.
People confuse sex with love and I’m in no position to confuse them the more.’

‘So they’ve been coming.’ She smiled. She tried to imagine the amount of women who would be queuing up to go out with a middle aged man that still looked lean and fit. If she didn’t know better, she would have actually thought he was the kind that went out with several women with no commitment she had encountered likes of them.

‘Taxi!’ he called out and led her to the pavement like a child. The cab parked before them and they entered together. He gave a certain address and Bonnie asked. ‘Where are we going…, we hardly know this town?’
‘You hardly know this town.’ He corrected and relaxed into the chair. It didn’t take her time before she also relaxed and before she knew it, her head was already on Denver’s shoulder sleeping soundly.

Denver looked beside him and sighed sadly. The last time a woman had laid a head on his shoulder to sleep was fifteen years ago and it had been his late wife Margaret Brandon.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:05pm On Jun 02, 2013
so....here it is guys smiley...ur comments pls wink grin...so that i'll know if i should continue or just stop
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by hotToyin: 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
Please do not stop. I am enjoying it too much. More grease to yoyr elbow.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Obassy(f): 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
I will so much appreciate the continuation

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by kemiola89(f): 7:26pm On Jun 02, 2013
Like seriously? Don't tell me bonnie's already falling for some old man, aint denver old enough to be her father. Hmm, aristol things.
Wow! What an enthralling storyline, quite different from some boring shit i've read. Got me glued to me phone, always checking out for updates every 20minutes. Pls don't stop, we are right behind you.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Diamonddamsel: 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
The story is so so good.Please upload more i like d fact that its unpredictable.more grease to ur elbows.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by MumZ(f): 8:29pm On Jun 02, 2013
Cn amnesia be detectd wen 1 is in coma or isn't it noticed wen d patient cmes out of coma n is unable 2 remember d past or recognize nyone? Nice story line, a bit of everytn life hs 2 offer. Tanks 4 all ur write ups. Ffg ur website closely.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2013
hot Toyin: Please do not stop. I am enjoying it too much. More grease to yoyr elbow.
thanks toyin
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2013
kemiola89: Like seriously? Don't tell me bonnie's already falling for some old man, aint denver old enough to be her father. Hmm, aristol things.
Wow! What an enthralling storyline, quite different from some boring shit i've read. Got me glued to me phone, always checking out for updates every 20minutes. Pls don't stop, we are right behind you.
hahahahahaha...kemi oooo..aristo ke?
she's 35years old na...older than Maria by 5years and so how old is Denver? it wont be aristo tinz @all oo..loooool cheesy
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:39pm On Jun 02, 2013
moderator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pls can i understand why you would hide my response to MumZ?!!!!!!!!
i was just explaining the whole physiology concept of the amnesia thing all fr me to return here and see it gone!!!
not fair at all..oo angry
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
Coninued

It was late by the time Denver got to his destination and Bonnie was so sound asleep that she didn’t know when the cab stopped. Since she might wake if he ventured to lift her carefully outside and think she was being kidnapped, he shook her by the shoulders and her eyes snapped open immediately like a woman ready for anything. She was still half asleep and so he led her carefully to a house on the street.

‘where are we going?’ she asked a little bit confused.

‘trust me enough to lead you safely.’

They finally got to the door.

He knocked on the door and was greeted by a middle aged woman. When her familiar eyes came in contact with his, she smiled and hurried him inside.

‘Who’s there?’ someone called from inside

‘Who else, your friend from Green bay, Den.’ closing the door behind her, she watched him go inside the living room and
lead Bonnie to the couch.

‘We thought you were never going to come again.’ She continued. ‘Who’s the pretty lady?’

‘At least won’t you give me a hug after five years?’

‘I guess you deserve it.’ She embraced him warmly and cupped his face. ‘It’s so good to see you Denver sweetheart.’

‘Don’t make Brian jealous.’

‘I can’t be.’ A voice intruded and Denver turned to look at his friend who was coming from the kitchen.

‘Wow, you look great Den. Still keeping fit?’ he praised and embraced his friend. ‘Thought you had changed your mind about coming over.’

‘Man of my word.’

His friend saw the woman standing beside him. ‘Is this the new bride?’

‘You wish. Her name’s Bonnie Williams.’ He turned to look at her. ‘Bonnie, meet my long time friends, Brian and Sara Graham. One of the best couples I’ve known to stick together.’

‘Nice to meet you.’ She greeted and smiled tiredly. The couch was tempting enough to fall into and doze off. It was like the woman read her mind and took her hand.

‘it seems to me like you’re going to fall off any minute and I don’t want you doing that. I have a room prepared just for you.’ She winked at the men standing before them and they turned to leave together.

‘she looks like she hasn’t seen a bed for days.’ Brian commented as they settled in the living room together. ‘So, if she’s not the bride, who’s she?’

‘I’ll explain everything when I get back tomorrow. Right now I need to get a cab back to the hospital and I need your prayers for my daughter-in-law who’s both unconscious and is expecting a baby at the same time.’ He stood up to head for the door and Brian followed him.

‘Wow…, I’m so sorry to hear about that. I’ll tell Sara when she comes out and you better leave now or Sara is going to insist on following you over. You know how emotional she gets concerning things like that.’

‘I understand.’ He smiled and tapped his friend’s shoulders before heading towards the door and closed the door behind him.

When he got back to the hospital, he got himself a cup of espresso in the hospital café and gulped it down. He entered Maria’s room and saw the monitor reading her regular heartbeat. His eyes went below and he looked at her stomach.

Another heartbeat was right in there and he was going to be a grandfather to a beautiful child. He hadn’t made it up to Amanda like he should have done and he asked God for forgiveness. He wanted to cry, that lovely child had died without a healthy loving family. Joe had not really given him a chance to allow the girl come over for the holidays and so Tara had taken the bold step to go over and spend her time with the child. He also had done that several times but after a while, there was a restraint in the father to son relationship and so he had thought it wise to stay away for a while and then everything got worse after Amanda’s depressive state, and then the divorce and then the death of his grandchild.

If he had to make a choice, he would call his son right now and demand the whole truth from him. Amanda was dead and nobody knew, including Tara because she would have called him. Jason definitely didn’t and he doubted if anyone else knew apart from Joe, Maria and Bonnie. This was terrible, and very complicated. Joe loved making simple things look complicated and he disliked the attitude. The boy needed someone to smack sense into that head of his, perhaps he wasn’t thinking well.

Silently he thanked God once more for Maria’s safety and that of the new life she carried. It was two weeks now that she had been in the hospital and the doctor commented that she was responding well to treatment and the baby seemed to be alright even at such a trimester stage. A very risky stage of pregnancy and God kept the baby.

He was mostly grateful for one thing, God had a plan, and he was going to fit into it and nobody not even his son’s stubbornness or Maria’s condition was going to rule that out.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:45pm On Jun 02, 2013
9…

Buzzing lights, and so suddenly blankness.

Maria opened her eyes weakly and stared blankly at the white ceiling above her. She was about to lift her head and was shocked to feel that it was almost impossible to lift, even her eyelids felt as if they would never give way to her eyeballs. She turned to her right and stared at the walls and then the monitor and why she was here but there was no memory left to pick anything. Closing her eyes to recall any recent incident, she felt emptiness and blankness.

She didn’t even know where she was.

Trying to lift up her hand seemed impossible but she could still feel her fingers. She succeeded in wiggling her toes and then her arm. The needles inserted into her were enough to make her whimper and she began to panic. Was something wrong with her, her whole body felt stiff.

She needed someone…, anybody and she needed a good explanation. Where in the world was this place and why was she here. She was about turning her head again when a middle aged man caught her attention and he smiled. He took his gaze away from her almost immediately and before she could think of the next thing to do, a woman in pink uniform was already inside with the man behind her.

‘good morning Maria.’ The woman greeted and all she could do was stare at her

‘Maria?’ she questioned her. Was the woman referring to her as Maria? That was when it suddenly dawned on her that she could not remember her name.

‘how are you feeling?’ the woman had a friendly smile and all she could do was ask, ‘where am I?’

‘you’re in the hospital Maria, you had an accident about two weeks ago.’

‘an accident?’

‘I’m afraid so. You fell from a cliff but you survived it.’

‘oh my…’ she murmured and held her head as if to stop it from aching. She closed her eyes tightly and opened them to look at the man and then back to the woman. She shook her head slowly. ‘but…, but…, I don’t remember, except…I don’t even remember my name.’ she almost cried.

‘you don’t have to panic Maria. You’ll be okay and get to remember in time. You just need time that’s all.’

She held herself from crying. ‘and him?’

‘I’m Denver Brandon, your father-in-law.’ He spoke up and came closer to her but she repelled.

‘please.’ She raised her hand to plead him move backward and the second hand went to her throbbing temples. ‘this is all coming to me newly. I don’t want to see anyone now.’

Denver tried to hide his disappointment and she noticed. ‘I don’t mean to be rude but I need time to think,’ although
she already doubted if there was anything to think about at this fateful turn out of her life.

‘I understand.’ He gave her a charming smile and she wondered how she had a father-in-law this warm and she couldn’t remember a thing.

Immediately the door closed behind them, she closed her eyes once again and tried to force herself to remember something…, she had to. Even if it was how the accident had occurred or what her surname was but everything seemed to have been wiped away by some sort of mechanical eraser and the blankness of it all was staring boldly at her. Out of frustration, she began pulling the wires away from her body and the needles and struggled to stand on her feet. She had to leave this place and look for some way to get her memory back, something to give her an identity. She began to cry and jerk away all the tubes. She was so weak that she fell to the floor but that didn’t stop her from crawling to the door. A doctor and a nurse came in and the next thing she knew was that they were carrying her to the bed. She tried struggling with them but it was no use. She didn’t have much strength.

‘think of your baby…’ the nurse cautioned and she looked at the woman confusingly.

‘what baby…’ she croaked but she didn’t get a reply as a needle was inserted into her vein and the last thing she heard was the doctor telling her to stay calm and be relaxed.
And then she drifted into a heavy sleep.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 9:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
Episode 9 continued

Joe closed his eyes breathing in the fresh mountain air. Resting his back beneath the shade of a tree, his mind wandered away thinking of so many things, His life in the past few weeks, his business life and his marriage to tiffany in about two to three week’s time. It was so amazing the way his life was going his job was getting tight these days. He was the one travelling for the company since he was still single at the moment but he doubted if he would travel after his wedding. He needed some time off especially with his new bride and he was going to pass the job to his colleague, Phil Reuther and explain what needed explanation.

He suddenly felt something warm on his lips and he opened his eyes to see Tiffany before him planting another kiss on his lips.

‘relaxing?’

He smiled and nodded.

‘what were you thinking about?’ she teased. ‘about me?’

Joe confessed. ‘more of business and our honeymoon resort.’

She softened and looked around. ‘I love this place, just me and you together and right here. Just like we always did at the beach, spend time alone. I wish it could always be like this.’

‘perhaps.’

She cupped his face in her hands. ‘I’m getting married to a very sensitive man. Not bad on the eyes either.’ She praised and kissed him again.

He responded but broke up halfway feeling her tense. ‘is something wrong?’

‘I’m worried.’

Joe frowned. ‘is there something I need to know?’

She shifted on the green and relaxed into him. His hands came to rest on her stomach and his chin on her hair. He breathed in the scent of her hair and sighed. ‘you smell great.’

She laughed. ‘i’m going over to New York next week for the new magazine launch for my fashion designs. Mom called me last night and even suggested we come together. Perhaps you could check your tuxedo and we could spend time together…, you know with my family. They could get to know you better.’

‘I thought I’ve already sorted out everything…, and my job is right here in Michigan.’

‘I know.’ She sighed. ‘I know I have to end up going alone but what I’m really scared of is when I leave. I’m afraid that something might have come up and the wedding might not…’

‘hey…’ joe turned her to face him. ‘don’t talk like that. We’re going to get married even if you come back on the day of the wedding. You’re only making yourself worried for nothing.’

She closed her eyes and opened them to look into his. ‘why don’t you come with me Joe. Take time off work and come with me. We could even move in together over there. You could get a place. It’s new York and you know how to work yourself into places.’

‘my home is right here in detroit and everything I know. It’s impossible.’

‘I understand.’

‘we’re going to get married Darling and whatever is making you nervous is probably cold feet or something.’ He took her hand to kiss it like it was going to relieve her. ‘we’re going to get married Tiffany and nothing’s going to happen.’

‘I don’t regret that I’m getting married to you.’ She concluded and kissed him. Just then, his phone rang.

He saw Tiffany’s pleading eyes that he should ignore it and so he did. It kept on ringing and he glanced at the caller ID.
No caller ID.
He flipped open his phone and cleared his throat. ‘hello?’

‘it’s Denver…’

‘Dad?’

‘hi…, are you in the middle of something? I have a feeling you’re busy.’

He looked at Tiffany who was relaxing on his chest. ‘sort of.’

‘something’s come up and I just thought you should know.’

‘now is not the time Dad, can I call you later?’

‘it’s about Maria, joe. She was involved in an accident.’

Joe’s heart began racing and he sat up halfway. ‘an accident?’

‘and she seems to be carrying a child that belongs to you.’ His father concluded as if afraid that Joe would not take it serious if she had an accident.

His throat went dry and he choked out. ‘a what?’

‘ Maria’s pregnant Joe and the child seems to belong to you.’ He explained and continued. ‘you can call me back when you change your mind about coming over.’

And the line went dead.

Joe’s heart began beating fast and he almost lost control. Tiffany stared at him worriedly. ‘is something wrong?’

He couldn’t look into her eyes. All his head was screaming was ‘maria is pregnant and the child belonged to him. Damn it! This was not good. He had to get a grip. How could he be responsible? Nothing had happened except that night of Amanda’s death. Oh!..., this was not what he had planned. Could one night of unbridled passion turn into a baby…, his baby? He had to leave immediately and she was going to explain everything. This was already about eight weeks after that night and he was just hearing about it.

‘joe, please say something.’

‘I have to go now.’ He swallowed and stood to his feet. He assisted her to her feet and looked around for anything else he might have ignored.

‘whatever it is, I’m coming with you.’ She offered as she draped her scarf over her strapless gown.

He turned immediately. ‘no tiffany, it’s something I have to handle alone. I want you to go home and relax. I promise I’ll call you.’

‘you need to tell me Joe. I heard you talking about an accident. Who is involved and why are you keeping me in the dark?’

Joe came closer to her and held her hands trying to reassure himself more than he intended to do for Tiffany. ‘I don’t want you to get involved in any of this. It’s an accident of a friend…, my Dad’s friend actually and I need to see how she’s doing presently and it’ll be best I go alone since I haven’t talked to my father in a while. We can see him together after this whole incident okay?’

She nodded reluctantly and she picked the picnic basket. ‘if it’s okay by you, what can I say?’

He led her to where his car was parked and opened the door for her. When he joined her, she looked at him. ‘I love you, don’t forget that.’

‘I love you too.’ He murmured before driving off.

After he dropped Tiffany in her place, he dialed his father once more as he headed home. It took a while before he picked it and he was getting impatient. After ten minutes of repeated trying, he finally answered. ‘Joe?’

‘where is she now?’

‘a hospital in Niagara falls, Canada. When you arrive just call me to pick you and tell me where you are.’

‘I wasn’t prepared for this.’ He said unconsciously.

‘me neither.’ His father replied. ‘I’ll be expecting you.’

Joe dropped his phone and focused on the road. Things may still get better and he was just over reacting. he had other calls to make and he needed to make the next flight to Niagara falls. He sighed heavily.

His life wasn’t going easy as he had thought.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 03, 2013
Interesting

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by AnnNini(f): 11:53am On Jun 03, 2013
Hello good morning. Just reading your story now. It is so touching. Cried seriously when Amanda died. When will u update? Pls do so quickly. Thank u

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Emeralddan(f): 4:00pm On Jun 03, 2013
This is awesome sweerie..... Pls update fast !!!

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 6:36pm On Jun 03, 2013
AnnNini: Hello good morning. Just reading your story now. It is so touching. Cried seriously when Amanda died. When will u update? Pls do so quickly. Thank u
ure welcome
will update soon
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:04pm On Jun 03, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
‘You did what?’ Bonnie yelled angrily

‘I had to tell him’

‘And what is he going to do? React like everything is going to be alright?’ she exhaled deeply. ‘I should have thought better than to call you into this.’

‘This is my grandchild we’re talking about. Joe has every right to know that his child is alive the same way I do. And so what do you intend I do? Act like it’s nothing serious, ignore the facts that Maria can’t remember anything?’

‘This is hard for me. I don’t even know what to do.’

‘Then why don’t you just relax and let God sort out everything.’ Denver murmured and settled down beside her.

‘I feel like I’ve betrayed her. I shouldn’t have allowed her come this far and now everyone now knows she’s pregnant.’

‘She can’t remember she’s pregnant.’

‘is the amnesia that bad?’

I’ve never experienced it but I do know one thing. She can’t remember who she is. Worse, she can’t even recognize anyone right now.’

Bonnie hugged herself and closed her eyes. Maria wouldn’t even remember her. She couldn’t. she had seen the look on her face when she woke and the fear in her eyes.

‘I feel terrible.’ She sobbed.

Denver brought her close to himself and she rested against him trembling in sobs. ‘she has to start all over again.’

‘and we’ll be there to see her through.’ He assured.

A moment passed between them and he raised her chin to look at him. ‘you look starved. Let’s go and get something to eat.’

‘I’m not hungry.’

‘we haven’t eaten anything all day and we’ll also become patients if we don’t get something to eat. I’ll pay.’
She sat up and looked around. He was right, she was hungry but Maria’s condition had made her lose appetite. It wouldn’t be bad if she grabbed lunch with Denver. She felt comfortable with him and she was sure they both needed the break.

‘you’ll pay.’ She reminded him teasingly and allowed him to assist her to her feet.

‘most certainly.’

Bonnie was surprised at the generous amount of food she ate and realized she was really starved. When she relaxed, Denver smiled down at her. ‘I wasn’t wrong when I mentioned the word ‘starved.’

‘I guess you were not.’ She dabbed her mouth and looked around nervously.

‘are you alright?’

‘I can’t wait to leave the hospital with Maria. Even being here makes me uncomfortable.’

Denver stared at her and sensed something more was wrong. It wasn’t just leaving with Maria that made her nervous; she seemed to be hiding something in those brown eyes of hers. Beautiful and captivating. He was surprised he could notice all these things at once in her. It had been a long time. Perhaps, he had been too engrossed in work. He felt drawn to her in some sort of way and it had been long he felt drawn to a woman this way.

He prayed silently.

Bonnie saw him looking at her and she avoided his gaze immediately. She tried to get something else on her mind and push the thoughts of Denver away. He was old enough to be her uncle or even her father. After all, he was Maria’s father-in-law and she was probably insinuating things. He seemed to be staring at her like he knew more into her life or he was going to dig deep even if she hid herself.

‘what do you do for a living?’ she wanted to distract him and herself as well

‘I’m an architect.’

‘that sounds good.’

‘and you?’

‘a waitress.’

‘you look too smart to work as a waitress. Is it a part time job or a full time job?’

‘a full time job.’ She replied. ‘I love serving people and I love my job.’

‘hey, don’t misunderstand me, I’m not discriminating, I’m just wondering how you would look with an apron.’

‘you could check me out if you want to and I’ll teach you how to sit and wait ten hours for your order.’

He raised an eyebrow. ‘that bad?’

‘to you, that would be a yes.’

He smiled softly and asked. ‘what about if we both grab lunch sometime?’

‘I believe that’s what we’re doing presently.’

‘I mean some other time…’

‘I know what you mean.’ She nodded without looking at him. ‘I don’t think that would be a good idea.’

‘what about dessert, or coffee in a nice café. We could talk about things.’ He persuaded

‘I work late.’ She bit her lip and looked around again. What was keeping the waiter long? She wanted to leave, right now before she had no other excuse for the man sitting before her. How could she tell him that she was afraid of relationships especially when it seemed too good to be true. This couldn’t be God’s plan for her. She was sure God had a good looking black man for her somewhere or probably a mission she had to do somewhere in a foreign country and there was no use trying a path that was not hers. She wouldn’t make history repeat itself.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 7:09pm On Jun 03, 2013
‘if you’re thinking about my age….’

‘no.’ No!... she couldn’t because he didn’t look it. In fact she was almost falling for him. ‘no, it’s nothing.’

‘or is it Brandon thing you don’t want to get involved in?’

‘it’s not you, it’s me.’ She decided to tell him. ‘God hasn’t told you anything so why make any attempt?’

‘it’s just lunch Bonnie, as friends…, nothing else.’

‘ believe me, lunch can turn into dinner and dinner can lead into something serious and I’m not sure we’re going that path together.’

There was no response from him for a while and then he spoke up. ‘are you always this blunt?’

‘ ‘I guess so. So you see, I’m the least person you want to invite for lunch.’ She concluded and was glad for the interruption by the waiter. Denver paid the bill and she stood up immediately. Denver joined her and they left together. There was an invisible tension between them as they walked back to the hospital. Bonnie decided to bring in Maria’s case.

‘Maria’s going to move in with me when she’s discharged.’ She suggested. ‘it’ll be better for her.’

‘I think we have to decide on that together and Joe has to be involved in this too.’

‘but she can’t stay with him, neither can she stay with you so she automatically stays with me.’

‘I thought about everything last night and I think she’ll have to stay with my friends here at Niagara falls for a while before she comes back home. The grahams even have a townhouse in Michigan as I heard but I don’t know how soon they would be moving. If they’re moving soon, it will favor us. Then we could all help her to remember by allowing her to spend some time with Joe and me and then you could also help out.’

Bonnie spun around to look him in the eye. ‘you seem to have planned all this alone and kept me at the end of it all although I don’t see how that’s gonna work Mr. Brandon.’

‘and do you have a better plan than her staying with you all through? She has amnesia and she’s carrying a child that not only belongs to her but to her husband.’

‘her ex-‘ she corrected.

‘as a Christian, you know the divorce part is wrong so it’s like we have work to do in bringing Joe close to her and his child.’

The full realization of what Denver was about doing was just beginning to dawn on her. ‘you want to match make them?’

‘we have to.’

‘that’s impossible’ she waved him away. ‘he’s probably married or getting married to someone else so it’s just like a waste of time.’

‘with God on our side, I don’t think it’s a waste of time.’ He concluded. ‘so are you with me or not?’

Bonnie looked at him for what seemed like minutes and then she continued walking. Denver pulled her back to him and she almost fell but he held her in place with his other hand and stared down into her eyes. For a moment, he thought he was lost till she spoke up. ‘I’m with you.’

Her released her reluctantly afraid that he was letting her go but determined inwardly that he wasn’t going to let her go.

‘so you have someone already in mind. Someone you’re walking your path with?’

She held herself from lying. ‘the right person will come.’
‘and what if I’m that person?’

‘beauty is vain.’ She quoted to him. ‘and charm is deceitful.’

He turned her to face him and completed for her. ‘but a woman who fears the lord shall be praised.’

Bonnie sighed. The Brandons had something in common when they wanted something. They were persistent.

‘you had me there.’ She smiled and shook her head. ‘if I have lunch with you, will that make you realize we’re incompatible?

‘let’s see.’

‘okay. Are you happy now?’

‘partially.’ He smirked and he suddenly looked like a twenty year old who had gotten what he wanted. ‘like you said, we just have to see how incompatible we are. I’m on the winning team.’

‘seriously?’

‘God’s team.’

She shook her head and thought it better not to say any more. There was no point because it seemed like he had all the answers to her questions.

They got to the hospital in time and saw that Maria seemed to be having another visitor apart from Joe whom they had been expecting a day from now. Denver walked up to the young man standing beside her bedside talking to her and
Maria seemed to be giving him audience. He turned on the sight of the man coming towards him. He stopped and frowned.

‘uncle Denver?’

‘Trevor Graham? Is it really you?’

The young man laughed and embraced the older man. After a while, Denver released him and looked at him. ‘are you a doctor in disguise or what because I know you’re definitely not. I see that my daughter-in-law seems to find you interesting.’

‘really?...., you mean she’s your daughter-in-law…, I never knew.’ He turned to look at her and then back at Denver. ‘I was just telling her about the accident and thank God she survived. Dad, Danny and I were on our boat when the incident happened and she fell really high. the next thing I knew was that I was diving into the water and Dad helped too. He mentioned it yesterday that you visited but I didn’t know she was in any way related to you.’

‘I’m glad you were there’

Trevor nodded and shrugged and that was when he noticed Bonnie standing some distance away from them.

‘who is she?’

‘a friend.’

‘she’s not bad on the eyes.’ He commented and went to introduce himself to her while Denver moved over to Maria. She was the one to speak first.

‘Denver…’ she said like she was trying to assess the name and lowered her gaze. ‘Its so frustrating not to even remember my own father-in-law, and the fact that I’m married.’ She looked at her stomach. ‘and pregnant?’

Denver settled beside her and began contemplating on how to tell her everything. She wasn’t married anymore, and he was just her ex’s father. The only thing still bonding him legally to her was the fact that she was carrying his grandchild.

‘in time you’ll remember.’ He assured and took her hand in his. She received it and smiled into his eyes and then he knew she deserved to know the truth. ‘You’re no longer married Maria.’

She frowned. ‘What do you mean?’

‘You’ve been divorced for three years now my dear and I’m only your father-in-law because you’re carrying my grandchild.’

‘I d-don’t understand.’ She gibbered and pulled away. ‘You’re confusing me’

‘You’re carrying my son’s child although you’ve been divorced for years now.’
Reality dawned on her. ‘You don’t mean to tell me that I’m carrying my ex-husband’s child, are you?’

‘I don’t know how to explain…’

She shook her head. ‘You don’t need to explain anything, Mr. Denver.’ She sighed heavily and held herself from crying again. She couldn’t. She did not want to. Was this the kind of messed up life she lived. Having an affair with an ex- that was probably involved with someone else or perhaps just wanted to have a fling with her and she gave in. this was enough to tell her that she meant nothing to the man sitting before her or his so-called son who was her ex-husband.

This was the least news she expected to hear. Now, she wished the man would stand up and go. He had done enough already.

Just then, a dark woman entered inside disrupting her thoughts. She wondered who this was because she wasn’t ready to hear anymore, they could save other gross parts of her life for the next day.

‘hi.’ She greeted with a huge smile and Maria could see tears almost pooling in her eyes and then so suddenly, she embraced her closely. ‘I miss you Maria, I just can’t contain it anymore!’

‘you’re going to scare her.’ Denver cautioned.

Bonnie released her and stared into her eyes, cupping her face in her hands. ‘it’s me sweetheart, Bonnie…, try and remember. We used to have fun and talk about lots of stuff and everything you trusted me with.’

Maria stared back at her blankly and weakened. ‘I wish I could remember you but I don’t even recognize you.’

Her friend didn’t give up. ‘don’t worry sugar, you’ll remember. I know you will.’
Maria nodded and looked up at Denver. ‘can you excuse us for a while please?’

‘sure.’ He shrugged and left them together. When he had gone, Maria held Bonnie’s hands. ‘I really want to believe you, but you can tell me things like how I got myself in this mess…, I mean this pregnancy issue of me and my ex-husband, is it true?’

‘you shouldn’t bother yourself about that for now. You still have plenty of time…’

‘no, I don’t have time. If it’s really my ex-husband’s, I want to abort it and I want you to keep it as a secret. I want to start a new life and I don’t think I’m ready to carry another man’s baby. Not now, not when my life is looking complicated.’

Bonnie looked at her like she was crazy and wondered how much damage the fall had done to her brain. This was so unlike the Maria she knew.

‘you can’t be serious!’

‘this can’t work Bonnie. I’m very scared.’ Her eyes revealed her vulnerability and her friend suddenly felt for her so that she stood to sit on her bed. ‘you don’t have to be Maria, I’m here, God is here and I’m going to make sure nothing happens to you.’

She shook her head stubbornly and laid a hand on her stomach. ‘I have a feeling that I’m never going to remember and as soon as I’m due, the baby’s going to be taken away from me and maybe they’ll take me someplace I don’t want to go.’

‘nobody’s taking you anywhere Maria.’

‘’no, they are…, once my ex comes and sees that I’m okay, they’re going to take my baby away and his father is going to make sure I don’t come in contact with him.’

Bonnie was getting scared. It was like her friend was going crazy. she needed to be discharged or else she might do something unforgivable. She tried to assure her not to worry.

‘I’m your best friend Maria and I will make sure no one, not even your ex-husband lays a finger on you or your baby. It is your baby and you have the right over it.’

Maria relaxed into her friend and closed her eyes. ‘I don’t remember you but I have this feeling that I can trust you.’ Right now, the only people she trusted were her rescuer and the woman named Bonnie who tagged herself as her best friend. She didn’t even trust herself.

‘I want them to discharge me and I want to go home. I don’t want to stay in this place anymore. Can you tell the doctor for me, please.’ She pleaded soberly.

‘I will.’

‘promise me.’

I promise.’
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by oyestephen(m): 7:17pm On Jun 03, 2013
I should give myself a knock for just noticing this wonderful work now....somene called this perfecto, i cant agree less. Sorry sis, but is this your work ? Thumbs up! So wonderful

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by trixandra(f): 8:22pm On Jun 03, 2013
Interesting and captivating. Following all the way

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:24pm On Jun 03, 2013
trixandra: Interesting and captivating. Following all the way
thanks love!!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:26pm On Jun 03, 2013
oyestephen: I should give myself a knock for just noticing this wonderful work now....somene called this perfecto, i cant agree less. Sorry sis, but is this your work ? Thumbs up! So wonderful
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....thank you soooo much!!! you dont know how much those words mean to me and yes oooo...ehehehe...it's my work. my OWN that i wrote abt 6-7yrs ago but refurbished it like three yrs ago...
for more of my other series, you can go to
www.glowingscenes.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by JoBle(f): 1:19am On Jun 04, 2013
Beautiful. . .simply beautiful.
I would say more if I knew what to say. Can't believe am discovering this now. Honestly,after reading 'Chocolates and Sushi' and this one,I must say you weave a compelling tale. What's so suprising is that it's so. . .pure,so devoid of those vulgar and obscene scenes;those ones that make you cringe and skip the whole scene-your kind is rare,I could actually read ALL the updates. Keep up the good work.
P.S- Forgive me if this all sounds mushy but staring at a screen for hours,trying to catch up with a story can do things to you.

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by Joy4mi(f): 12:25pm On Jun 04, 2013
hi GLOW,
great job u got going my friend.
i also enjoyed ur little horror write up.
u my friend are turning out to be GLOW OF ALL TRADES wink

Na wa o, u didnt ask abt mi sad

just wanted to ask abt ur wellbeing. went thru ur blog rite now and saw ur post abt u being a little down. the lord is ur strenght.

regards smiley

1 Like

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:37pm On Jun 04, 2013
JoBlè: Beautiful. . .simply beautiful.
I would say more if I knew what to say. Can't believe am discovering this now. Honestly,after reading 'Chocolates and Sushi' and this one,I must say you weave a compelling tale. What's so suprising is that it's so. . .pure,so devoid of those vulgar and obscene scenes;those ones that make you cringe and skip the whole scene-your kind is rare,I could actually read ALL the updates. Keep up the good work.
P.S- Forgive me if this all sounds mushy but staring at a screen for hours,trying to catch up with a story can do things to you.

thankk u sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much....i really appreciate uuu
i try my best grin with God on my side wink
im glad i could achieve a story thats clean enough and where others can learn from
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Joy4mi: hi GLOW,
great job u got going my friend.
i also enjoyed ur little horror write up.
u my friend are turning out to be GLOW OF ALL TRADES wink

Na wa o, u didnt ask abt mi sad

just wanted to ask abt ur wellbeing. went thru ur blog rite now and saw ur post abt u being a little down. the lord is ur strenght.

regards smiley

sweetim!!!!...im glad uve gotten my pm..
hope to see u more often
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
Episode 10.

When Joe arrived at the hospital, he was initially confused about everything and wondered inwardly how he was going to face the situation at hand. Not seeing any familiar face, he walked up to a nurse and asked for Maria’s room. He headed off after he was given direction.

His hand was sweaty by the time he touched the door knob but he finally succeeded and entered and he could almost ask the ground to swallow him on seeing the look on her face. She looked pretty confused and her eyes showed it.

He wondered why.

‘hi.’ He greeted running his hands through his hair and looking around nervously.

‘hi.’ She replied politely still staring at him confusingly. ‘and you must be?’

Joe raised an eyebrow and shoved his hands into his pocket. Was he missing something or was he in the wrong room of someone who looked exactly like Maria?

‘you’re Maria…, right?’

‘yes, and you’ve not still told me who you are.’

‘I’m Joe?’

‘you’re not still making sense.’

‘is this some kind of joke…, like you’re trying to punish me for the fact that we made a mistake?’

She frowned. ‘?Como ha dicho!

‘excuse me?’

Maria raised her hand to her mouth and stared back at him. Then she repeated herself. ‘I beg your pardon!’

He was about to reply her when Bonnie entered the room with a big bunch of flowers and a basket of food.

‘Bonnie?’

She raised an eyebrow and looked at her wristwatch. ‘just in time.’ Her voice dripped in sarcasm and she went over to kiss Maria and drop her flowers. ‘you’re looking better sunshine.’

‘thank you.’ She accepted the flowers from her and inhaled it deeply. ‘smells great.’
‘Denver got it for you, seems to know what you like best.’ She raised the basket to her. ‘and I went to do a little food shopping for you.’

‘I don’t know what to say…’

‘say nothing.’ She smiled and finally glanced at Joe. ‘I see you’ve met him.’

‘ I guess so, although I don’t know who he is’

Bonnie bit her lip and sighed. ‘he’s your ex-‘

‘really?’ she gulped and this time took her time to look at him to see if that would jog up her memory.

Nothing.

He was good looking, no doubt. No wonder she had fallen for him and gotten herself pregnant. He had hazel eyes and they stared down into hers deeply. His gaze went down to her stomach and she blinked and looked away. The look on his eyes showed he probably didn’t want the child and like he was in a big mess. He seemed to be so full of himself, like he knew women couldn’t resist him and he stood like he was in full control. oh!..., this was going to be harder than she thought. Right now, she wanted him to leave. Seeing him almost repulsed her and she wasn’t about to say anything more to him. He made her look like a pathetic fool wanting him again after three years of divorce.

It was like Bonnie read her mind because she spoke up. ‘um…, maria, could you give me a few minutes with Joe, I won’t take long.’

‘sure.’ She forced a smile and watched them leave together.

‘what’s going on?’ Joe asked

‘Maria has amnesia Joe, didn’t Denver mention that to you?’

‘no, he didn’t.’

‘well, now you’re aware of it, are you any better?’

‘listen Bonnie, about the pregnancy…’

She shook her head. ‘you’re not any better, do you know that?’

‘so now, you’re blaming me?’

‘you’re getting married some week’s time and you’re sleeping with your ex-wife?..., wow, and I thought you were a little reasonable.’ She raised her hand and slapped it against her legs unconsciously. ‘and so, who’s going to start picking your pieces, and how are you going to tell your bimbo fiancée?’

‘at least give me a chance…’

‘A chance…, all Maria wanted was a chance and now she has a child. Does that sound fair to you?’ she continued. ‘if she had her way, she would love to carry that child alone and you won’t know anything…, I mean anything about it because you would only be repeating what you did to Amanda. You know why she died don’t you?’

‘would you hear me out please?’

‘I’ve heard everything I need to hear and that makes it final. Denver just thought it nice to inform you although I wouldn’t since you’re a very ‘busy’ man. But for now, stay off Maria’s life, when the baby’s due, we’ll call you.’

She was about to leave when he held her and pulled her close.

‘get your filthy hands off me…’ she threatened.

‘Now I’m the filthy one?’ he seethed in rage. ‘why don’t you ask Maria what she was doing while I was away on business trips.’

Bonnie struggled with tears. ‘that poor girl did nothing…’

‘Nothing?’ he scoffed. ‘Nothing... is that what she told you. Of course, she would always pretend like everything was my fault when everybody hears her own side of the story.’

‘stop it Joe.’

‘oh now, you want me to stop…, I thought she was more ‘righteous’…., let me put it in your own words.’ He continued without mercy. ‘She wouldn’t tell you the gory parts would she, it was too disgusting to say…, after all, I saw most of it. She had the guts Bonnie…, to betray our marriage and claim that she loved me, that she was doing it to protect our marriage. Your friend was selfish and ruthless to our marriage bed. Your friend was…, let me put it in your own clean words…’as unstable as water,’ not satisfied with our marriage.’

Bonnie’s hand landed across his face and he released her immediately. ‘Don’t you dare talk about Maria in that sort of way again. Ever again, do you hear me?’

Just then, Denver walked in between them. ‘What’s going on here?’

Bonnie was already crying. ‘Why don’t you tell your son here to go back to wherever he’s coming from and keep his dirty mouth shut.’

‘Fine with me!’ Joe raised his hand in a gesture of surrender. ‘I will be glad to.’

‘Bonnie, I’m so sorry.’ Denver apologized and was about to hold her when she jerked away angrily. ‘don’t even try to pretend you’re any better.’ She rubbed her eyes and left them staring after her.

Denver turned to his son with a questioning look.

‘And do you mind telling me what happened between the both of you?

Joe raised his hands in a pleading gesture. ‘it’s not important.’ Running his hands through his hair, he sighed again and almost cursed himself for overreacting at what Bonnie had said. He should have just kept his mouth shut. It revealed that he still had Maria in mind.

‘this isn’t going easy as I thought.’ He mumbled and turned to his father. ‘You didn’t tell me she had amnesia.’

‘I was going to explain everything to you before the argument.’ Seeing the reaction on his face, he continued. ‘I thought you should know about it since she’s carrying your child but if you feel its not convenient for you…’

‘you know it’s not convenient.’ He interrupted. ‘but what choice do I have. It’s my mess and I won’t have you cleaning it up for me.’

‘having a child was never convenient for you Joe, and now you call this a mess? Amanda dying is what I call a mess Joe and you not telling anybody? What is wrong with you?’

‘I don’t have time for this…’

‘and so you’re going to walk away…, just like you’ve always done. You never want to face the truth Joe and you prefer living your life like all is going on fine.’

‘I’m not going to stand here and let you preach to me. It never did me any good, neither have I seen it improving your life since Mum died.’

Denver held himself from shaking the boy and watched him leave. Now he was torn between whom to go after first.
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by glowingscenes(f): 8:47pm On Jun 04, 2013
JoBlè: Beautiful. . .simply beautiful.
and no!!! u dnt sound mushy mushy @all. infact ur comment just motivated something good within me...
thanks so much...xo!!
Re: A Story: Broken Vows by kemiola89(f): 6:26am On Jun 05, 2013
I think its time we start campaigning for frontpage, story like this is frontpage worthy, and definitely deserve a kudos from viewers. Moderator take note! We want more comment to motivate the writer.

2 Likes

Re: A Story: Broken Vows by ayobami52(m): 10:05am On Jun 05, 2013
front page motion seconded

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

FEIRE - A Romance Story / SCHOOL LIFE / TAMISHO - My Story. My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.