Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

"I don't believe in God, but I go to church" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" (7950 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Seun(m): 9:35pm On Aug 18, 2005
The problem with vexxy's quotation is simple - which of the Gods do you believe in?
- If you choose the Christian God and it turns out that Allah is real, you are doomed.
- If you choose the muslim God and you die to meet the Christian God, you are doomed.
- But there are 100s of other religions, each of which says the other ones are wrong!!
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 9:42pm On Aug 18, 2005
The one I believe in is the right one.

I strongly believe that. I stand by the truth.

And you better believe it.

Jesus Is Lord.

Look at what Acts 4:12 says "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
He said "I am the truth and live Whoever believes in Me shall be saved"

So this is the real God.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Seun(m): 9:43pm On Aug 18, 2005
And how do you know that what the bible says is true?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 9:49pm On Aug 18, 2005
you are right seun.
to answer vexxy's question: i stopped believing in G-d since like i was 11 or 12. it just didn't make sense to me anymore. i prayed for certain things that are almost impossible to come true (for example: G-d please make my dad buy me a car e.t.c) and of course those prayers can't be answered. and people say w/ god all things are possible. the real fact is not all things are possible...
i also hate it when i do all my best and work really hard and tell my mom and all she says is G-d did it. wth i worked my hardest and some other nonexisting deity has to take all the credit.
the bible is wrong (this is a fact. every sane person should know that that book is not accurate) and if you can't trust it's words then you can't trust G-d because the bible is G-d's word.
i have countless of reasons i don't believe. but don't mistake my words. i'm not saying people shouldn't believe in G-d. i wish i still did but i don't and i can't because to me it's just like believeing in a toothfairy.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 9:50pm On Aug 18, 2005
Because the word of has proven himself to be true.

I have experienced it and still experiencing it.
When you do what He says you will see the results.

The Bible is a living word of God.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 9:57pm On Aug 18, 2005
WesleyanA:

you are right seun.
to answer vexxy's question: i stopped believing in G-d since like i was 11 or 12. it just didn't make sense to me anymore. i prayed for certain things that are almost impossible to come true (for example: G-d please make my dad buy me a car e.t.c) and of course those prayers can't be answered. and people say w/ god all things are possible. the real fact is not all things are possible...
i also hate it when i do all my best and work really hard and tell my mom and all she says is G-d did it. wth i worked my butt of to do stuff and some other nonexisting deity has to take all the credit.
the bible is wrong (this is a fact. every sane person should know that that book is not accurate) and if you can't trust it's words then you can't trust G-d because the bible is G-d's word.
i have countless of reasons i don't believe. but don't mistake my words. i'm not saying people shouldn't believe in G-d. i wish i still did but i don't and i can't because to me it's just like believeing in a toothfairy.

I think I have tried to let you know  sometime when you said something like this that God knows what is right for you and the right time you deem fit having it.

Even though you did something successfully didn't mean you did it solely. Who gave you the wisdom, the strength, keeping you alive, not allowing you to be insane etc.

Please there is God and He's real. He still loves you despite the fact that you don't believe in Him.

He created you and has not withdrawn his love from you hence you are still alive.

He gave you two eyes, ears legs, hands and all you are today is because og Him.
Please Praise Him.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 10:03pm On Aug 18, 2005
greatpeter, the authors of the bible wrote the book based on what they believed at the time (thousands of years ago).they had very limited knowledge of our universe and they tend to be biased most of the time. they didn't know much about how the human body worked e.t.c so they had to find an explanation to it.

the bible tells me that G-d is a mass murderer. but he says not to kill.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 10:15pm On Aug 18, 2005
hah westley pls stop it.
It's not so.
God is not a murderer.

And these men of God wrote as the Holy spirit revealed to them not based on their imagination pls.

I know you need help serious one Pls i beg.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2005
greatpeter in your earlier post, you said "why go to church if you don't believe" well, seun answered you. it's becasue my family do. and i think it's a good thing to go to church. i won't stop going to church and i'll even encourage my kids  (when i get older and have kids that is) to go to church and believe in G-d because it's healthy.

why is it that when bad things happen to people and they blame it on witches or evil spirit and when good things happen they say "G-d did it again", he has given us a baby. and when the baby dies maybe because of some medical condition, they say a witch (probably some one they don't get along well with) killed it.?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 10:42pm On Aug 18, 2005
We all know that God is good God and Devil is bad.
John 10:10 listed devil's mission. (1) to kill, (2) to steal (3) and to destroy.

Nothing Good comes out of evil and no evil comes out of good.

You are the real fruit you bear.

So good you go to Church, that means salvation is near you.

Bible says "faith cometh by hearing by hearing the word of God."
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2005
so if you have unprotected sex and contact HIV/AIDS then some witch (the prostitute) infected you right?

if you are saying God tells you to multiply and cover the earth and you give birth to 12 children you can't take care of and 6 of them die of malnutrition then that "witch" that lives near your house and argued w/ you that day killed the children right?

if there's a storm outside and they say don't go out but you say God's angel will charge over you nothing will happen to me and you go and get killed the witches and devil did it right?

if you are about to take an exam and you decided not to study because God won't let you fail and you fail, then the devil made you fail right?

if the devil's mission is to kill, why are there instances in the bible where God kills someone or causes bad things to happen to people.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 11:05pm On Aug 18, 2005
You don't understand.

You should know that disobedience also kills like the instances you mentioned above.
But what makes man disobey god in the beginning was satan the devil who appeared like serpent.

God will always fight for his children in other to shield over them.

It is the enemy of God or His children that got killed in the scriptures and not just anybody.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 11:09pm On Aug 18, 2005
no i wan't you to answer my questions one by one. don't give me a general answer.
WesleyanA:

so if you have unprotected sex and contact HIV/AIDS then some witch (the prostitute) infected you right?

if you are saying G-d tells you to multiply and cover the earth and you give birth to 12 children you can't take care of and 6 of them die of malnutrition then that "witch" that lives near your house and argued w/ you that day killed the children right?

if there's a storm outside and they say don't go out but you say G-d's angel will charge over you nothing will happen to me and you go and get killed the witches and devil did it right?

if you are about to take an exam and you decided not to study because G-d won't let you fail and you fail, then the devil made you fail right?

if the devil's mission is to kill, why are there instances in the bible where G-d kills someone or causes bad things to happen to people.

explain why your answer is yes or no if you can because all you've been giviing me so far are general answers.
i have more questions for you by the way. wink
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Seun(m): 11:10pm On Aug 18, 2005
Greatpeter is in trouble!
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 11:20pm On Aug 18, 2005
Not at all Seun, Trust me I am up to the task.

WesleyanA:

if you are saying G-d tells you to multiply and cover the earth and you give birth to 12 children you can't take care of and 6 of them die of malnutrition then that "witch" that lives near your house and argued w/ you that day killed the children right?

if there's a storm outside and they say don't go out but you say G-d's angel will charge over you nothing will happen to me and you go and get killed the witches and devil did it right?

if you are about to take an exam and you decided not to study because G-d won't let you fail and you fail, then the devil made you fail right?

if the devil's mission is to kill, why are there instances in the bible where G-d kills someone or causes bad things to happen to people.

If you die because you contacted Aids via promiscuity you died of disobedience.

If you fail because you did not pass an exams whose fault? You of course.

If there is storm and you were warned not to go out and you did in the process you died you died of disobedience.

Are satisfied with this?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2005
No. you didn't answer the second and last question. go and think of an answer fast and reply asap.

Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 11:36pm On Aug 18, 2005
WesleyanA:

No. you didn't answer the second and last question. go and think of an answer fast and reply asap.

No it is not the witches that killed the children rather the parents inability to apply wisdom in planning their family.
When God say be multiplied He did not sayyou should have a football family size.
that's why bible says "let your moderation be known to all men, Wisdom is profitable to direct.

The second question, I said God will always fight for His childern.
He has laws and order. He's God unchallegeable, he's authoritative.

He's a loving God and at the same time a consuming fire that's why you should fear him.

Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 11:43pm On Aug 18, 2005
so what you're trying to say is that G-d does kill.. right?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by Greatpeter(m): 11:52pm On Aug 18, 2005
Yes when it is neccesry.
And He's justified to do so.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 1:57am On Aug 19, 2005
Very interesting. I need to be saved. I think religion, helps to make you disciplined and focus. It also helps you be morally inclined arround its teachings. Besides that, there are a lot of questions beyound the human understanding. Just imagine a goat, trying to think, on how the hec did the man build a car.

The brain capacity comes into question here. How capable is your brain to understand the basic concept of a source to its existence? I guess not that capable. Except you want to run mad.

And yes there are a lot of things that our brain capacity can not dicipher. So is the existence of God. God does exist.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by hotangel2(f): 3:00am On Aug 19, 2005
I don't wanna get into this. I hate religious fight. Because I am neutral. I don't support any. But i have something to say, If God never sleeps nor slumber.....can he please get up and save tsunami?? And those kids in the street of Lagos?? lipsrsealed
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:03am On Aug 19, 2005
Lolz some disasters are caused by human activities smiley. That i guess you should know. Religious fights? hum u should think better than that wink
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by hotangel2(f): 3:05am On Aug 19, 2005
Why should there be disaster?? God?? Hello!!!!
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:12am On Aug 19, 2005
Just curious. You want everything to be flowing easily, no disaster, no pain, no tears, no hunger , no poverty?. Everything has a reason, and thats why we should ask ourself. Why do we exist as humans, the moment we try to get an answer to that. The rest would be answered automatically. Have you tried that?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by hotangel2(f): 3:19am On Aug 19, 2005
Kazey, The way God is potrayed in the Bible is that he is an awesome God, who does Good. Poverty, pain, and tears ain't no good. Those are evil!!!!!!!!! He said Jesus died to take away our sins and to make us free and enjoy life, uhmm hello!!!!!!, Did Jesus actually get to heaven, cos if that dude did, i am sure God would make us enjoy life. You feel me?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:20am On Aug 19, 2005
Hum, yes i think now i get the reason for your stance in terms of the religion in question. I feel you. smiley
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by hotangel2(f): 3:22am On Aug 19, 2005
I hope you are feeling me in the way i espect you to feel me. So What are the reasons you got?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:27am On Aug 19, 2005
To every difficulty and hardship there is ease. The world is like a prison. smiley. The best way out, is do what you can, achieve what you can, and be what you can be. I believe in God because he promised me ease through his scripture after this hardship. So its something to hope for, and work towards.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by hotangel2(f): 3:30am On Aug 19, 2005
That what you were feeling me about?? You didn't feel me right.

Anyways I do know God answers some prayers. I know he's someone i can trust , I do things that are like close to what he says...but uhmm, I ain't an S.U.
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:37am On Aug 19, 2005
girl i am talking about myself. Not you. SU? the white garment people without shoes?
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by WesleyanA(f): 3:38am On Aug 19, 2005
kazey:

To every difficulty and hardship there is ease. The world is like a prison. smiley. The best way out, is do what you can, achieve what you can, and be what you can be. I believe in God because he promised me ease through his scripture after this hardship. So its something to hope for, and work towards.
this is exactly one of my points!!!! i've mentioned this somewhere before but i'll repeat it again.
one of the main reason people go to church is what you just said.
when poor people suffer on earth they rely on their religion and say "i'll enjoy when i get to heaven" while the rich people are alerady enjoying their heaven right here on earth.
Trust me it doesn't make sense to say those who are enjoying now are going to hell and those who suffer on earth will enjoy in heaven that's a  stupid compromise but it's also a good one at the same time because it gives people hope (even though there's no heaevn or hell (at least i don't believe there is).
Re: "I don't believe in God, but I go to church" by kazey(m): 3:39am On Aug 19, 2005
heheeh. WesleyA goodness. Anywayz I am not suffering. I am very comfortable. I repeat that again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christians Should Learn The Language In Which The Bible Was Revealed. / Are There Any 100% Nigerian Atheists On Nairaland? / What Is Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.