Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Thermostat In Vehicles - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Thermostat In Vehicles (1057 Views)

Coolant Temperature Sensor Trouble In Vehicles / Ur Advice On Car Thermostat In Nigeria / Thermostat In Bmw 318i:suitable Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thermostat In Vehicles by blackmann(m): 10:05am On Apr 29, 2008
Is it right to remove the thermostat in imported vehicles? My honda 2001's fan doesn't start working unless i switch the AC on, and someone told me its cos i didn't remove the thermostat, and as such i must always use my AC or else i may burn the head gasket. But lately due to lack of money to fill my tank, i haven't been using the AC regularly, and even then the thermometer gauge on the dashboard does not rise beyond the half mark. Do u guys out there suggest i just kleave the thermostat there or do u think i should remove it to drop the temperature down a bit?
Re: Thermostat In Vehicles by nkc(m): 10:14am On Apr 29, 2008
well i am no pro, but i guess u should leave it, all japanese cars have there temp at half mark and most have there fans regulated by d thermostat, even when ac is on or off, and nothing has happened to them, worry only when d gauge has left d half mark and is going up, which i doubt it does.
Re: Thermostat In Vehicles by babatosan: 10:24am On Apr 29, 2008
i have a 94 altima, and was having hard starting problems especially at petrol queues. my electrician said it was overheating, and rewired the circuit to make the fan come on at ignition. the hard starting stopped. so maybe if you are not having overheating problems, leave it alone.
Re: Thermostat In Vehicles by fotodaddy: 12:16pm On Apr 29, 2008
ahh BLACKMAN

nkc has just described how the electric coolant fan works.

All IC engines have an optimum working temperature. The job of the thermostat is to get to this temperature as fast as possible and then to maintain this temperature.

Meanwhile there are two "Thermostats" in engines which has electric coolant fans. The first is a mechanical one which actually seals the coolant in the engine and physically prevents it from going to the radiator. (This is the one that our road side mechanics usually remove). As the engine gets hot, it opens up and allows the coolant to flow to the radiator. If this flow is insufficient to keep the coolant at the set temperature, the the electrical thermostat comes in and puts on the coolant fan. (The coolant fan just blows air over the radiator and brings the temperature back down.) in cold countries, it can be so cold that you dont ever use the coolant fan. Infact, people actually get extras to cover up the radiator and prevent cooling since its so cold.

If you have a faulty mechanical thermostat, a sign will be overheating. as the coolant is prevented from circulating. OR over cooling as the engine never warms up to its optimum operating temperature.

In all cases, its best to have a hot engine at its optimum operating temperature. as this means less friction, better combustion etc.

(1) (Reply)

307 / Toyota/nissan 350k-400k Needed / 2006 Camry Now 1.9 Million.toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.