Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic (1734 Views)

Okorocha's Statue, 'Effigy' Destroyed In Imo / Finally, Onitsha Looks Like A Befitting Eastern Gateway / We Will Give Achebe A Befitting Burial - Southeast Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by DuduNegro: 4:35pm On May 29, 2013
THIS IS A RECOMMENDATION.

The eye, being the window to the world, is highly impressionable by what it sees. The impression registers in its physicality and is instantly stored as a marker or identifier in space value.

Much of what we love and admire about Western culture is space value. They make very good use of space by applying forms to break continuity and at same time create harmony between the form and the space it occupies. Architectural structures are tranformed into art while equally serving functionally as a container. There are far too many to name around the world. Eko Atlantic is designed to join the international collection. How about statues?

Statues give a similar spatial value but with a different dimensional outcome. Statues can also be a container but its primary purpose is to translate history by harmonizing a mythical figure to the sacredness of the land it is erected on.

You will find great architectural buildings in Middle East but will never find a statue. This is so because Islam forbids erecting statues. In the West however, statues are all over and they are used to tell yhe story of their culture and their historical past. It becomes a marker through which a civilization is physically represented.

We are building a world class city called Eko Atlantic. What is the spiritual significance of Atlantic to the Yoruba culture? What mythical figures in our past harmonizes with the water and from which the world can be educated about who we are?

I remember the statue of Sango in front of NEPA headquarters on Marina. That kind of landmark is needed for Eko Atlantic and I am recommending OBATALA.

Atala, from which is derived Atlantic, Atlantis and Atlas, is the primordial water of creation. A high number of scholars and writers on human history and civilizations already admit that there is a direct link between Ile Ife and the early civilizations of mankind. OBATALA standing on the waters and at the gateway of Atlantic ocean to Yorubaland will create a global phenomenon and interest.

Would like to hear your views.

5 Likes

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 29, 2013
Dudu_Negro: THIS IS A RECOMMENDATION.

The eye, being the window to the world, is highly impressionable by what it sees. The impression registers in its physicality and is instantly stored as a marker or identifier in space value.

Much of what we love and admire about Western culture is space value. They make very good use of space by applying forms to break continuity and at same time create harmony between the form and the space it occupies. Architectural structures are tranformed into art while equally serving functionally as a container. There are far too many to name around the world. Eko Atlantic is designed to join the international collection. How about statues?

Statues give a similar spatial value but with a different dimensional outcome. Statues can also be a container but its primary purpose is to translate history by harmonizing a mythical figure to the sacredness of the land it is erected on.

You will find great architectural buildings in Middle East but will never find a statue. This is so because Islam forbids erecting statues. In the West however, statues are all over and they are used to tell yhe story of their culture and their historical past. It becomes a marker through which a civilization is physically represented.

We are building a world class city called Eko Atlantic. What is the spiritual significance of Atlantic to the Yoruba culture? What mythical figures in our past harmonizes with the water and from which the world can be educated about who we are?

I remember the statue of Sango in front of NEPA headquarters on Marina. That kind of landmark is needed for Eko Atlantic and I am recommending OBATALA.

Atala, from which is derived Atlantic, Atlantis and Atlas, is the primordial water of creation. A high number of scholars and writers on human history and civilizations already admit that there is a direct link between Ile Ife and the early civilizations of mankind. OBATALA standing on the waters and at the gateway of Atlantic ocean to Yorubaland will create a global phenomenon and interest.

Would like to hear your views.
Eko Atlantic deserves something feminine, hmmm I'd recommend Oya!

1 Like

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by IGBOSON1: 5:08pm On May 29, 2013
Methinks a statue of Amadioha would be just as nice. undecided

1 Like

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 29, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Wetin be Amadioha? Your Chi?

1 Like

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by DuduNegro: 5:35pm On May 29, 2013
scipher:

That will be like using Ogun, instead of Sango, to represent lightining and electricity. Im not talking about personal/individual taste but cultural representation for the race.

The ones that will compete with Obatala will be Yemoja and Olokun. Yemoja is not specific to Atlantic, neither is Olokun......Atlantic was named after Atala.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by rosebowl01(m): 5:40pm On May 29, 2013
lol

IGBO-SON:
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by tpia5: 5:46pm On May 29, 2013
nepa is not a good example to use.
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 29, 2013
Uhmm I
scipher:

I think the great mermaid herself will do!! Iyemoja Eledumare's representative in the sea and Iyemoja is of atlantic spirituality!!!
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 29, 2013
Dudu_Negro: THIS IS A RECOMMENDATION.

Atala, from which is derived Atlantic, Atlantis and Atlas,

None of the names you have up there have anything to do with Obatala

I especially dont want Eko Atlantic to be associated with Atlantis - Given what happened to the latter

I think Yemoja would be more ideal
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by warlei(m): 6:23pm On May 29, 2013
a yemoja statue would boost tourism directly.because brazil is opposite to lagos
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 29, 2013
warlei: a yemoja statue would boost tourism directly.because[b] brazil is opposite to lagos [/b]
huh??
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 29, 2013
scipher:
why?!?!
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 29, 2013
babe_online:
why?!?!
Z?!
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 29, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

That will be like using Ogun, instead of Sango, to represent lightining and electricity. Im not talking about personal/individual taste but cultural representation for the race.

The ones that will compete with Obatala will be Yemoja and Olokun. Yemoja is not specific to Atlantic, neither is Olokun......Atlantic was named after Atala.
I think obatala will be very very good but I hope the govt. thinks about this cos they wanna westernise the whole Nigeria as if it is a western country and it is not a good/reasonable thing to do.
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 29, 2013
scipher:
Z?!
I asked what your reasons were. You cant just suggest something without giving reasons. The OP suggested Obatala and he gave a reasonable reason for it.
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 29, 2013
warlei: a yemoja statue would boost tourism directly.because brazil is opposite to lagos
do you mean the Black Brazilian culture is similar to that of the Yorubas in Nigeria?
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 29, 2013
Obatala is the best fit.

"Orisa'nla (The great divinity) also known as
Ọbatala was the arch-divinity chosen by
Olodumare, the Supreme, to create solid land out
of the primordial water that constituted the earth
and populating the land with human beings."

For this reason, I would choose Obatala over Yemoja
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by DisGuy: 8:12pm On May 29, 2013
for the babies in the house

can anyone post pictures of what yemoja,obatala etc looks like
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by bokohalal(m): 8:18pm On May 29, 2013
warlei: a yemoja statue would boost tourism directly.because brazil is opposite to lagos

I knew that since my Primary school days.
babe_online:
do you mean the Black Brazilian culture is similar to that of the Yorubas in Nigeria?

No. If you took a somewhat straight line westward across the Atlantic ocean from Lagos/coastal nigeria you would land in Brazil.
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 29, 2013
babe_online:
More than one-third of Afro-Brazilians claim Yoruba ancestry and have managed to preserve some of the culture and religion despite the Atlantic crossing and imposition of the Catholic faith by Portuguese merchants and sailors. Google Santeria, Candomblé and Umbanda.

1 Like

Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by warlei(m): 8:31pm On May 29, 2013
bokohalal:

No. If you took a somewhat straight line westward across the Atlantic ocean from Lagos/coastal nigeria you would land in Brazil.
thanks for enlightening her
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by warlei(m): 8:37pm On May 29, 2013
babe_online:
huh??
didn't see this early but I tink bokohalal has explained it.yemoja is strongly worshipped in brazil.a statue would be very important in cultural connection through the atlantic waters
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by DisGuy: 8:41pm On May 29, 2013
^^ and a direct flight cheesy
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 29, 2013
bokohalal:

I see. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 29, 2013
warlei: didn't see this early but I tink bokohalal has explained it.yemoja is strongly worshipped in brazil.a statue would be very important in cultural connection through the atlantic waters
yes yemoja is strongly worshipped there.
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by gingerbeer: 2:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
CAPE TOWNS NATURAL BEAUTY, DON'T BLAME US BLAME GOD FOR CREATING THE ICONIC TABLE MOUNTAIN AND ROBBEN ISLAND.

ONE OF THE WORLDS NATURAL WONDERS YOU MUST SEE BEFORE YOU DIE. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://www.south-african-safari.com/wp-content/gallery/cape-town-scenic-flights/cape-town-aerial.jpg
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by gingerbeer: 2:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
LAGOS COLONIAL PAST
LAGOS WAS FOUNDED BY PORTUGESE AS A "SLAVE PORT" IN WHAT WAS THEN "SLAVE COAST" WHERE YA'LL SOLD OTHER AFRICANS. grin grin grin grin

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1070101
Re: OBATALA- A Befitting Statue For Eko Atlantic by gingerbeer: 2:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
IN 2013 TODAY THERES SEX SLAVES IN NIGERIA SOLD TO OTHER PARTS OF AFRICA. SELL OUTS?
grin grin grin grin
http://news.naij.com/23628.html

(1) (Reply)

Living The Life In Lekki: How To Become A Lekki Landlord. / At This Point One Must Suspect Obasanjo In Asari Dokubo's Arrest / Armed Standoff Between The Nigerian Police And NSCDC Officers Caught On Tape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.