Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,531 members, 7,801,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide (17539 Views)

NYSC Bars Posting Engineers To Teach In Secondary Schools 0 / NYSC Member Commits Suicide Over Girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by UyiIredia(m): 1:34am On May 30, 2013
If not for some Corps members, Yohanna Daniel, a senior Secondary School (SSS3) pupil, would have been dead by now. He was about to commit suicide following a road crash that led to the amputation of his right leg when Corps members in Gadabuke Development Area of Nasarawa State came to his rescue. DAYO OJERINDE (Corps member, NYSC Keffi) tells Yohanna’s story.
Hohanna Daniel, a Senior Secondary School (SSS) 3 pupil of Unity High School in Gadabuke Development Area of Nasarawa State, contemplated suicide after several months of battling with gangrene on his right leg. He had an accident on a motorcycle while travelling to Gadabuke Town from his village. The motorcycle collided with an oncoming car.
He was unconscious for several hours after the accident. When he opened his eyes, he found himself at Godiya Private Hospital, Gadabuke, where sympathisers rushed him to after the crash.
His right leg was damaged and the medical personnel told him he would require an operation.
His parents made funds available for the operation. But after a series of operations, which Yohanna said the hospital handled carelessly, the pains persisted. Rather than heal, the leg began to decay. Having exhausted themselves, Yohanna’s parents could not provide funds for another operation. Apparently frustrated, Yohanna said he began to think of suicide. He said if he died, the pain would disappear. He said he had a dream of becoming a successful professional, but life became unbearable for him because of the pains.

Corps members serving in Gadabuke Town changed his suicide plan. Through their Community Development Service (CDS), the Corps members. They contributed their monthly allowance to enable Yohanna undergo another round of surgery at the Federal Medical Centre, Keffi, where Yohanna’s leg was amputated to stop the decay. Speaking on what motivated the Corps members, the CDS Co-ordinator, Jeffery Igbuzor, said: “This boy lives close to my house. I felt the pain he was going through because the doctor that operated the leg after the accident did a bad job. I informed my colleagues about the agony of the pupil at a CDS meeting we had. They all supported the idea and we moved it.”
Asked about the challenges they encountered, Jeffery said: “We could not get all the funds requested at the Federal Medical Centre, Keffi. Many of us had to contribute from our meagre stipends. We also went round the schools in Gadabuke Development Area to seek for money. Some principals supported us while some promised to get back to us.”

The Corpers’ Liaison Officer (CLO) in the area, who was present in the hospital during the surgery, said: “We appreciate the effort of our Local Inspector (LI), Mr Moses Adamolekun, who was supportive during the period. He could have rejected the whole idea in the first place but he encouraged us and even visited the hospital to check on the boy after the surgery. All Corps members in Gadabuke took the issue of this boy as their personal project.” When CAMPUSLIFE visited him, Yohanna, who could hardly speak, broke down in tears, saying: “If the Corps members did not come to my rescue, I would have committed suicide because of the pains I was passing through after the accident and after the first careless operation I had. I will return to school as soon as the wound is healed.” Adamolekun said: “When the Corps members informed about the condition of Yohanna, my heart literally melted. I told them that this is a task we must do to save the life of the boy. In a way, we have tried our best, and we will not stop there; an artificial leg is important too. We want this boy to be on his feet again, though with an artificial leg. I believe with God, everything is possible.”

The lad is in need of an artificial leg, the Corps members said would cost N150,000. Having contributed from their personal finance, the Corps members urged philanthropists across the nation to join in giving Yohanna’s life a meaning.

Source

19 Likes

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by CrazyMan(m): 2:13am On May 30, 2013
May God bless those corpers for saving that boy's life.

I would also advise that the Nasarawa state government should come to their aid...they shouldn't leave the job for the youth corpers alone most especially the financial aspect...I know how challenging it is to contribute your monthly allowance...and it would be sad to see their (the corpers) efforts wasted due to lack of funds.

They (the state government) should bring in their support so that this child can be on his feet once again and be able to pursue his dreams.

13 Likes

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by temujin1234: 9:54am On May 30, 2013
Good work by corpers.

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by saintneo(m): 9:57am On May 30, 2013
I hope all the brainwashed killers that killed NYSC members after 2011 elections are aware.

5 Likes

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by ITbomb(m): 9:58am On May 30, 2013
This what Mazi should have done instead of eyeing those small girls

2 Likes

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Nobody: 9:58am On May 30, 2013
May God almighty be with the corpers that saved the boy life,i can imagine what the poor boy is passing through now.
Such is life shaa................

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by haro2gbasky(m): 9:59am On May 30, 2013
This is really touching....may God Almighty bless those corpers abundantly..peace out!
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Goldie20: 10:00am On May 30, 2013
Just Hang In There.. Every Lil Thing Gon Be Alright... !
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by DJDOLA(m): 10:01am On May 30, 2013
All hope are not lost they say
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by WizPrince1(m): 10:02am On May 30, 2013
Eya
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by olusola200: 10:03am On May 30, 2013
WHY! WHY!! WHY!!! WHATS THE WORLD TURNING INTO GEJ WHERE IS UR LUCK
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by fpeter(f): 10:04am On May 30, 2013
This is one too many, this is the 4th suicide story i'm reading on NL today
Then to think this evil trend has infiltrated our culture is really sad.
It was unheard of , for a nigerian to commit suicide in the not so distant past! sad

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Nobody: 10:04am On May 30, 2013
Dear l0rd...na ur palm dis b0y fate day..abeg grant am hez hrt desire...nd 2 dat c0rper,m0re grease 2 ur elb0w...thumpz up
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Brimmie(m): 10:04am On May 30, 2013
I Thought He Was 'bou To Tie Rope To A Mango Tree!!

Kudos To Dat Otondo Anyways!

3 Likes

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by princemolak(m): 10:04am On May 30, 2013
Amputation of a leg? What a pity
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by point5: 10:07am On May 30, 2013
Cudos 2 dos corps members..
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by IYANGBALI: 10:07am On May 30, 2013
Those are indeed the leaders of tomorrow not the pen robbers that we have there now.
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Nobody: 10:08am On May 30, 2013
People die every day anyways
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by alphaconde(m): 10:08am On May 30, 2013
Nysc... Saving lives
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by fitzmayowa: 10:08am On May 30, 2013
Not again

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by 4site4: 10:09am On May 30, 2013
hmmmm dats a very good thought of you
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 10:13am On May 30, 2013
God d rewarder of man kind, we reward u all. I pray 4 speed recovering IJN. Amen.
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by sureway1(m): 10:14am On May 30, 2013
Hope all those corpers that have misplaced priority(always looking for chance to date their female studend are learning)..

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by IYANGBALI: 10:18am On May 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: People die every day anyways
so why are you not dead yet?

1 Like

Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by Nobody: 10:19am On May 30, 2013
[size=15pt]"Nice", "kudos", "evil trend infiltrating our culture", "good job".

But nobody's said anything about the doctors that botched the lad's leg. NOBODY! Your priorities amaze me![/size]
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by gbokukueba(m): 10:23am On May 30, 2013
And what happens to the careless doctor
Re: Corpers Saved Secondary Student From Suicide by daylae(m): 10:26am On May 30, 2013
Good gesture.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nysc Batchc'14 Anambra Lets Meet Here / How To Get To Nasarawa Nysc Camp / Minister Advocates Increase In Corps Members’ Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.