Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:53 AM

How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola (675 Views)

The Toll Booths At The New Ikoyi Link Bridge.pics / Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS / Ikoyi-lekki Link Bridge To Be Commissioned By November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola by kaze4blues(m): 2:52pm On May 30, 2013
How Yar'Adua made link bridge possible --Fashola
2013-05-29 23:06:30

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola on Wednesday inaugurated the first cable bridge in the country, which will link Lekki and Ikoyi areas of the state.

He said the late President Umar Yar'Adua played a crucial role in the realisation of the project.

The governor said the late President's disposition as a statesman rather than politician, accelerated the completion of the bridge.

He said, "He (Yar'Adua) was in my view, the first builder of this bridge. When the design of the bridge was completed and shown to me, it was obvious that four properties would have to give way at the Ikoyi end. Two of them belonged to the Federal Government and were subjects of litigation between the state and the federal."

The governor said despite apprehension by his cabinet that the project would be scuttled by the government at the centre, he entertained no fear as he approached the late President."

He said, "When I showed him the design in his office in Abuja and told him what we wanted from him, he simply picked up his intercom and invited the then Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Alhaji Yayale Ahmed to join the meeting.

"He told the SGF, 'There is this bridge in conception by the Lagos State Government. It will affect some properties over which we have a dispute with the state government in court, please without prejudice to the outcome of the case, please release the two properties to them. Our political difference cannot stand in the way of our peoples' development.' That was President Yar'Adua as a statesman, not a politician. This was the same President who released our seized fund."

Fashola, who commended Ahmed for implementing the late President's decision on the properties, also thanked those who voluntarily removed their properties to pave the way for the construction of the bridge.

The governor said motorists, who wanted to use the bridge would pay some fees, depending on the category of the vehicles. He added that commercial motorcycles also known as okada; commercial tricycles, trailers and commercial buses would not be allowed on the bridge.

He explained that with the construction of the bridge, traffic bottleneck often experienced in the area would be eliminated, adding that travel times would be greatly reduced.

Fashola, who said his administration was committed to making transport easier in the state, added that construction of other bridges was ongoing in the state.

On the amount to be paid by the motorists, Fashola said, "Users will have to pay a toll each way as follows: Class I saloon car, N250; Mini Vans, SUV and Light Pick Up; N300; non- Commercial buses with maximum seat of 26 persons, N400; motorcycle of 200CC, N100."

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/how-yaradua-made-link-bridge-possible-fashola/
Re: How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 30, 2013
Yar adua would have been a great president, I wonder why he had to die.
Re: How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola by Akanbiedu(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2013
Yar'adua was a noble man. May Allah reward him abundantly. Amin.
Re: How Yar'adua Made Link Bridge Possible --fashola by LaudateII: 1:48am On Aug 02, 2013
Lekki-Ikoyi Toll Bridge built at over =N=3 billion naira. The most expensive toll bridge in the state. I don't know why the most expensive tolled roads in Lagos are located in Lekki area. Who did we offend? shocked Na wah oh! God knows that I definitely will not be voting for ACN or APC in the next elections. angry

We did not vote them into power to impoverish us...don't we pay enough taxes like other people in other parts of Lagos? Why over-burden us with over-expensive tolls on such a short bridge? undecided cry

Lord have mercy!

(1) (Reply)

Crisis Hits PDP As Another Governor Is Suspended; More To Dump The Party / New Face Of Education In Akwa Ibom State. / What We Saw In Boko Haram Camps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.