Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,984 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? (21388 Views)

Why Is It Taking So Long For A Recruitment Firm To Hire After Interview? / Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? / Answering The Question,“ why Have You Been Unemployed For So Long?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by barnaby04(m): 2:44pm On May 31, 2013
Major factors causing people to spend much time at home unemployed are Laziness, high taste, not wanting to start small and wanting to hit it big within a short time.
my first job in 2007 after my Nysc was a teaching job which fetched me mere #12,500, i took the job cos, i was not paying house rents neither was i paying transport costs. Today, i earn more than times 10 of my first job today.
The easiest job i always advise young grads to do is teaching job cos all the schools you have around are always looking for capable teachers to recruit and some schools pay far better than what these coys or contract staff employing banks do.
i only spent 6 months on that teaching job, from there, i moved to a better place and i have since withnessed tremendous growth in my career.

My advise to all young grads is to start from some where cos every great man in history has a story to tell on how he makes it to the top!
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 31, 2013
destino24:

is it just me, or does that sound odd...you derive joy in seeing i'll people coming to the hospital...#JUSTSAYING

wat is there? Is d hosp meant for apparently well ppl bfr?
If u were a lawyer, wont u be happy dat ppl that have landed into trouble come to ur office?
Or If u deal in coffins.............
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by adewaleh(m): 2:51pm On May 31, 2013
Create an Idea. Every Idea is a seed and keep bringing much more Ideas that will generate Income for you and your Generations. We eat and buy other peoples Ideas. i think we can create more jobs instead of seeking for Jobs
* The Moment You catch an Idea, your future success is guaranteed.
There are people who doesn't go to school, yet they build houses and buy car and there children are in the best schools.
while you are waiting for a good Job, you can start a small business, {Fish farming, Poultry, Livestock Feeds, Dish Installation, Phone Repairing and much more} Just start a good business and manage your funds very well. you won't bother to look for jobs again. and if job opportunities come along the way. it will be an option with what you are making.
God help us.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Raypawer(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2013
nanya124: One simple truth is that most graduates usually have high financial expectations when they start their job search. This may be due to the fact they feel that so much has been invested in getting the degrees, or that people that had similar degree with theirs got good jobs after graduating. As time goes on and that job in picture isn't coming forth, such jobseekers may begin to consider one of those low pay jobs.
In my own view, a poorly paid job should only be considered if it will help an employee to build a desired career, such that subsequent jobs in that career line will offer better pay.

On Point!

Key word

*DESIRED CAREER*

thats when you get the real expirience!
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Raypawer(m): 3:21pm On May 31, 2013
adewaleh: Create an Idea. Every Idea is a seed and keep bringing much more Ideas that will generate Income for you and your Generations. We eat and buy other peoples Ideas. i think we can create more jobs instead of seeking for Jobs
* The Moment You catch an Idea, your future success is guaranteed.
There are people who doesn't go to school, yet they build houses and buy car and there children are in the best schools.
while you are waiting for a good Job, you can start a small business, {Fish farming, Poultry, Livestock Feeds, Dish Installation, Phone Repairing and much more} Just start a good business and manage your funds very well. you won't bother to look for jobs again. and if job opportunities come along the way. it will be an option with what you are making.
God help us.

God bless you for this reply brother...
I like this vision, i thank God for you..
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by AjanleKoko: 3:28pm On May 31, 2013
1forall:

You got me unsure whether you're referring to manual technical (e.g carpentry, welding) or practical intellectual (e.g project planning, data analysis) skills. Can you please give examples of what these actual skills are in the Nigerian gap that you mention?

I will give a few examples.

1. Basic computer skills (from Microsoft Office proficiency to advanced computer software and hardware skills). So many fresh graduates do not even know how to use MS Word, can't put together a simple document, powerpoint presentation, or create a pivot table in Excel. Don't ask me what people are studying in all these computer schools. An average desktop costs around the same as a BB Bold smartphone. But then you see a lot of unemployed graduates carrying around smartphones.

2. Language proficiency, especially in spoken and written English.

3. Technical proficiency: basic mechanical, electrical, draughtsmanship, welding, carpentry, building, etc. People tend to dismisss these skills as 'blue collar'. But then I always think about an old roomate of mine who studied economics at university. Relocated to the UK with the intent of pursuing a masters degree. Things did not go according to plan, and he ended up a professional builder. Now he's got his own business in the UK, and is doing pretty good. Not glamorous, yes, but better than having no job.

4. Customer Care Skills. You would not believe the paucity of such skills in Nigeria. Nowadays organizations are setting up call centers and customer service points by the day. Even the likes of KFC are bringing a new paradigm to the service industry which didn't exist earlier. KFC has introduced drive-ins, Domino's Pizza has introduced an electronic queuing system. Not just the telcos, but the banks, courier companies, airlines, and a number of other service organizations have phone-in call centers. There's even government call centers in some states.

These are just a few examples of skills that fresh graduates can go out and acquire, to enhance their employability. It will definitely not fetch you that dream job behind a cushy desk at ExxonMobil or Total. But it'll at least get you one foot in the door of some of those companies. Even Mobil makes use of technicians. wink

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by 1forall: 3:51pm On May 31, 2013
^ Thanks for spelling things out, great stuff!

I see you were referring to a combination of both white and blue-collar skills. I have a friend too from my university days who graduated with a 2.1 in Economics, bright guy. He's into carpentry now in Lagos but of course does it with a difference. My mechanic in Lagos is also a graduate. He speaks great English and his wife works in a bank. I enjoy going to his workshop because I learn a lot about automobile technology when I'm with him. Whenever he tells me about the cash volume of transactions he handles I simply don't shout. See, the thing about graduates that go into tradesmanship is that they stand out well above their peers because of their education.

I believe those who these things concern would learn a thing or two from your post and following from that I would like to add:

* No one can get that 'dream' job if their spoken/written English is poor. English is the language of corporate business in Nigeria and can't be avoided.

* It appears the prevalence of smartphones is causing a slow decline in the acquisition of real computer skills (and even intelligence - we'll argue this another day) and the youth need to recognize that expertise in using online social media is not equivalent to having computer skills.

* If an individual does not identify a purpose in life and pursue it, he would simply live life wasting away; or helping another person to achieve theirs.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by otokx(m): 4:04pm On May 31, 2013
lack of focus or and purpose.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by kefmawin: 5:12pm On May 31, 2013
I think we should be more holistic in our approach. There is no doubt that many factors result to people staying without job.
Apart from self inflicted unemployment due to quest for "that dream job", we cannot rule out environmental and political factor which relates so much to corruption.

People have to start thinking out of the box because many in power today have no plans for the teeming population.
What then is the way out? You can start by identifying a need within the society you can meet. Make your findings around your area because there will always be a niche. confidently package your product and services and be resilent.

You can even employ yourself by becoming a distributor of any moving product like cement, noddles, or better still distribute fast moving and affordable products like soyaplus which some have discovered to be a good starting point in the below link:
http://www.kefmawin.com/soyaplus

Quit this unemployment status and get busy.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by osehe(m): 8:47pm On May 31, 2013
style$co:

Maybe they have another Means of generating funds. Probably by prostitution or what ever if not they will look 4 even #10,000 job
I know but not 8yrs nau. Its crazy.
There are smaller private firms one could get attached to for the time being at least for experience sake. And manage the small pay.

Not sit at home waiting for something that may never come while your time is going.
I don't think its very wise.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by slyk2(m): 9:05pm On May 31, 2013
Evablazze: Corruption, bad economy, selfish government dat all..1st pg
I will never agree with you. The young school leeavers are too lazy.
Why do they desire government work? Where you will do nothing and get paid.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 9:34pm On May 31, 2013
@ osehe

You quoted me wrongly.
The first paragraph of your quote wasn't by me.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 9:36pm On May 31, 2013
[quote author=osehe][/quote]

You quoted me wrongly.
The first paragraph of your quote wasn't by me. I never insinuated that they where prostitutes. They are responsible women.

Please correct it.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by finestboy1: 10:34pm On May 31, 2013
Most of our graduates are Unemployable and Lazy. They Lack the necessary Skills relevant for today's competitive Labour Market. sad
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by finestboy1: 10:54pm On May 31, 2013
1forall: ^ Thanks for spelling things out, great stuff!

I see you were referring to a combination of both white and blue-collar skills. I have a friend too from my university days who graduated with a 2.1 in Economics, bright guy. He's into carpentry now in Lagos but of course does it with a difference. My mechanic in Lagos is also a graduate. He speaks great English and his wife works in a bank. I enjoy going to his workshop because I learn a lot about automobile technology when I'm with him. Whenever he tells me about the cash volume of transactions he handles I simply don't shout. See, the thing about graduates that go into tradesmanship is that they stand out well above their peers because of their education.

I believe those who these things concern would learn a thing or two from your post and following from that I would like to add:

* No one can get that 'dream' job if their spoken/written English is poor. English is the language of corporate business in Nigeria and can't be avoided.

* It appears the prevalence of smartphones is causing a slow decline in the acquisition of real computer skills (and even intelligence - we'll argue this another day) and the youth need to recognize that expertise in using online social media is not equivalent to having computer skills.

* If an individual does not identify his purpose in life and pursue it, he would simply live life wasting away; or helping another person to achieve theirs.
You are so on point there.These days certificates do not get you jobs, but Vocational and Technical Skills do make you self employed.
I had a friend who went to the UK to study a Masters Degree some few years back. Along the line he started taking multimedia and photography classes during his holidays.He recently relocated back to Nigeria and today he is a big time photographer.
Our graduates need to acquire other skills such as, carpentry, interior designs, automobile repairs, baking and so on to make them stand out and self employed.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 31, 2013
Thank God for this thread. Pls I need advice, my situation is this: I finished NYSC this year Feb. and since then no work. Just recently, i got an offer in Lagos (Agbara) that will pay less than 40k. Alagbado is the only place i can stay cos my aunt resides there (I stay in the south). Now considering the cost of transportation from Alagbado to Agbara daily am planning to reject the offer cos i might not have anything left to feed on. Pls advice me should i take the job or not?
How much will i spend on transportation?
The job is in line with my course of study.
Thanks.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by jarkata(m): 12:14am On Jun 01, 2013
vivichocs: havin read all ur contributions, i wnt to also add that u really need God's favour to excel in labour market..most times u do well in interviews buh aint called, y?? u think u can do it all alone? No..we need to know that everytn comes 4m God and so shld put HiM first in all our endeavours..hardwork + God's favour= SUCCESS
sure,most times i wonder why someone is being dropped after doing excedinly well at d interview
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by oilbigboy: 7:15am On Jun 01, 2013
yuzedo: If I was to answer as succinctly and pin-pointedly as possible, I'd simply say "Demand and Supply".. That all-encompassing concept covers the question in any and every possible form.

grammer
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by samseen02(m): 8:56am On Jun 01, 2013
Graduates should also try to improve self employment personality not always depending on govt. For work that is not available.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by engrjamiu(m): 10:13am On Jun 01, 2013
Small pay or private firms is not an excuse as long as you want to learn. My first job, I was pay 14k and I need to stay and get experience but now I am making 20 times dat pay while working for a private firm and I also work for myself. That is the beauty of engineering. I love being an engineer.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2013
Chigo@god:
Thank God for this thread. Pls I need advice, my situation is this: I finished NYSC this year Feb. and since then no work. Just recently, i got an offer in Lagos (Agbara) that will pay less than 40k. Alagbado is the only place i can stay cos my aunt resides there (I stay in the south). Now considering the cost of transportation from Alagbado to Agbara daily am planning to reject the offer cos i might not have anything left to feed on. Pls advice me should i take the job or not?
How much will i spend on transportation?
The job is in line with my course of study.
Thanks.
Waiting for your response o
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Tomoarika(m): 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
Chigo@god:
Chigo@god my broda. take it up 1st. Gain as much experience/knowlege/skill as you can there. That's wat i plan to do. While you are there, keep searching for beta offers. Keep your eye on d prize at d end of d long road. Not everyone gets to start at d likes of Halliburton or Schlumberger. Abi to dey stay for ur papa house never tire you ni?
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by talura(f): 2:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
Fellow graduates, you didn't just become a graduate overnight;it took hard work, late nights, patience and perseverance. The struggle continues, start with the peanuts another graduation awaits u as u gain the experience that comes with earning the peanuts.

I just got a job paying me 40k on my very first interview but am so looking forward to monday when I start. Even if I'll spend all the cash on transport, stay with an annoying person, I know, am a step closer to earning much more..

Accept the peanut, Good things do come in small packages.

Still a believer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Originalsly: 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2013
Chigo@god:
Bro....first job...and in your field...grab it....with both hands. When you get there find out where you can stay that is closer. You need to get your foot in the door. Life is not a bed of roses...anywhere in the world.Do you prefer remaining at home wasting away precious time eating away your parents food and sleeping? "The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight but they as their companions slept were toiling upward through the night".....put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by maasoap(m): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2013
ozodigboo: The reason for staying unemployed, is that some people who have parents still caring for them, tend to relax without actually searching. Everyone wants to work in a bank,Shell BP, NNPC, etc
I am a medical doctor in a govt. hospital, and while the pay is not much, i derive joy in seeing ill people come to the hospital, and go home smiling.
Those smiles are worth more than any salary.
Even interns in state hospitals get #180,000monthly, federal hospitals get #220,000. Liar.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by lukesh(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2013
sexymoma: Is due to Large population of the country, We are suppose to have a law that Guilds Child Birth, Atleast that might help. The population of Nigeria is increasing day by day.
population problem is not the problem, such argument is a defeatist theory (Malthusian Theory) conspired by the West to underpopulate Africa, in the true sense there is enough resources to cater for everyone either employed or not. And one of the problem the Nigerian youth is facing concerning job specification is superior complexity (ego)
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 03, 2013
Originalsly: Bro....first job...and in your field...grab it....with both hands. When you get there find out where you can stay that is closer. You need to get your foot in the door. Life is not a bed of roses...anywhere in the world.Do you prefer remaining at home wasting away precious time eating away your parents food and sleeping? "The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight but they as their companions slept were toiling upward through the night".....put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Thanks
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 03, 2013
Tomoarika: Chigo@god my broda. take it up 1st. Gain as much experience/knowlege/skill as you can there. That's wat i plan to do. While you are there, keep searching for beta offers. Keep your eye on d prize at d end of d long road. Not everyone gets to start at d likes of Halliburton or Schlumberger. Abi to dey stay for ur papa house never tire you ni?
my broda I don tire for house. I just hope they don't to get to cage. tx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guinness Nigeria Plc Graduate Sales Trainee Recruitment / How Genuine Is BRIMSTONE GLOBAL SOLUTIONS / N-power: You Scored 50% But Not Shortlisted? Please Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.