Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi (34872 Views)

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** / Acl/grimaldi Schedules / Help, My Eod Is Delays In Changing Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by calculusx(m): 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2013
Wsdmenpp: Personally ordered and paid for an SUV that arrived my shipper in New Jersey on the 6th of June 2013. Using Grimaldi, my vehicle will arrive Lagos on 7th July all within one month, bill of lading DHL(ed) already. There are at least 3 vessels leaving New Jersey port for Lagos monthly. I am very impressed with Grimaldi , sometimes you need to manage your buying and shipping processes yourself

You are very Lucky your vehicle made it to Nigeria in 1month. From my findings with Grimaldi Schedule, I have come to conclude that some ports {especially Baltimore}are more congested than others. The Unit below was Purchased 20th of May 2013, got to Jacksonville Port 23rd of May,sailed June 20th 2013 and will be in Lagos Mid July 2013 while i still have some Cars in Baltimore since 1st week of May that are yet to sail.

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by burningspear(m): 11:15am On Jul 01, 2013
Depending on your targets. If you are a dealer and may want to avoid more costs that may dip on your bottom line, and you are not going to lose your customers because of time lag. Then, Grimaldi is worth waiting for. Else, you you can use the Hoegh. The only time I used Hoegh I paid really more.
But I ve only shipped from Jacksonville.
As per vandalism, I've not had any incident since the past 2 few years.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by deenautos: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2013
I am new to the forum. The discussion on the thread seems very educative, and enlightening with respect to auto shipment and sales in Nigeria.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Midasola: 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2013
Wsdmenpp: Personally ordered and paid for an SUV that arrived my shipper in New Jersey on the 6th of June 2013. Using Grimaldi, my vehicle will arrive Lagos on 7th July all within one month, bill of lading DHL(ed) already. There are at least 3 vessels leaving New Jersey port for Lagos monthly. I am very impressed with Grimaldi , sometimes you need to manage your buying and shipping processes yourself

Hello Wsdmenpp, I reckon the vessel with your vehicle has arrived cool

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Wsdmenpp: 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2013
Hi All,

My SUV was delivered to my house today, very clean and no single scratch or any damage. Vessel arrived on Sunday. I thank God for his Grace and Favours.

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 8:04am On Jul 11, 2013
Hello Guys,

can anybody help out with the name of the Grimaldi Vessel (RORO) arriving Lagos on 14th July ? Don't know the port it will be berthing at. How long does it take to unload such a vessel ?

Thanks !!!
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 8:23am On Jul 11, 2013
samir101ng: Hello Guys,

can anybody help out with the name of the Grimaldi Vessel (RORO) arriving Lagos on 14th July ? Don't know the port it will be berthing at. How long does it take to unload such a vessel ?

Thanks !!!

The vessel name is Grande Gabon (GGA 0513). It takes 24-48 hours to offload a vessel. If you are expecting a consignment, this is the time you should contact your clearing agent to start the pre-processing in order to prevent demurrage.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 8:55am On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

The vessel name is Grande Gabon (GGA 0513). It takes 24-48 hours to offload a vessel. If you are expecting a consignment, this is the time you should contact your clearing agent to start the pre-processing in order to prevent demurrage.

Yes, i am expecting a consignment but the documents have not arrived yet angry angry. What are the cost implications for incurring demurrage, what port will it be berthing at and where did it came from ? Expecting a consignment from Baltimore Port. Thanks
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 9:19am On Jul 11, 2013
samir101ng:

Yes, i am expecting a consignment but the documents have not arrived yet angry angry. What are the cost implications for incurring demurrage, what port will it be berthing at and where did it came from ? Expecting a consignment from Baltimore Port. Thanks

What? The documents is yet to arrive? Which freight forwarder did you use? The documents should have been sent like three days after the departure of the vessel from Baltimore. Have they sent you a loading confirmation list to be sure your consignment was loaded?
The demurrage is not a price I can fix, you understand the Nigerian factor of doing business. especially the custom. I am not a clearing agent, I have someone who clears my stuff for me.
Please first confirm from your freight forwarder if your vehicle was loaded. The vessel did not load from one seaport in USA, it loaded from four. It should berth at Tincan Island.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by samir101ng(m): 9:29am On Jul 11, 2013
Bros !!! The kind vex wey i dey vex now eh !!!! angry angry angry

I can confirm that the vehicle has been loaded, just expecting the documents. Hopefully it should arrive latest before Sat 13th July. cry cry
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Peacefullife: 9:30am On Jul 11, 2013
Wsdmenpp: Hi All,

My SUV was delivered to my house today, very clean and no single scratch or any damage. Vessel arrived on Sunday. I thank God for his Grace and Favours.

Wsdmenpp: please what is the name of the vessel? Is it CSCC Shanghai?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 9:56am On Jul 11, 2013
Peacefullife:

Wsdmenpp: please what is the name of the vessel? Is it CSCC Shanghai?

It certainly must be cos that is the only one that recently came from the USA.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Peacefullife: 10:00am On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

It certainly must be cos that is the only one that recently came from the USA.
But the said vessel just came in yesterday. How come his own vessel came on sunday and got his vehicle already?
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 10:58am On Jul 11, 2013
Peacefullife:
But the said vessel just came in yesterday. How come his own vessel came on sunday and got his vehicle already?

The said vessel did arrive Sunday Night and he was just lucky that his was among the ones quickly moved into their terminals(That is the only explaination that comes to mind to have made the pronto clearing possible).
So many others that came on same vessel are yet to be transfered into their terminals thus clearing process can't progress.

Thanks
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 11:32am On Jul 11, 2013
samir101ng: Bros !!! The kind vex wey i dey vex now eh !!!! angry angry angry

I can confirm that the vehicle has been loaded, just expecting the documents. Hopefully it should arrive latest before Sat 13th July. cry cry

Next time use a good freight forwarder. Did they use USPS to post it or DHL? They should have used DHL or UPS for it. I hope you get it on time.

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 11:52am On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

The said vessel did arrive Sunday Night and he was just lucky that his was among the ones quickly moved into their terminals(That is the only explaination that comes to mind to have made the pronto clearing possible).
So many others that came on same vessel are yet to be transfered into their terminals thus clearing process can't progress.

Thanks

Lol . . Na wa for you oh, why you wanna burst the man's bubble now?
In Car business, people needs to come to realization that no 2 deals are same and alike, cos he is lucky with this does not mean that Grimaldi are now the greatest, they are good once the ride moves, but till then, fast and pray.
I would love to use them often, but my past experience scares me
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 11:57am On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . Na wa for you oh, why you wanna burst the man's bubble now?
In Car business, people needs to come to realization that no 2 deals are same and alike, cos he is lucky with this does not mean that Grimaldi are now the greatest, they are good once the ride moves, but till then, fast and pray.
I would love to use them often, but my past experience scares me

I also have my reservation for the company but because of maximising profit, you will hear all these clearing agents insisting on people using Grimaldi.

I prefer Hoegh to them.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 12:05pm On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

I also have my reservation for the company but because of maximising profit, you will hear all these clearing agents insisting on people using Grimaldi.

I prefer Hoegh to them.

Ha ha ha ha . . . Na you talk oh, i know they are fast once they are in Lagos but sometimes the clearing for Hoegh is expensive too, however, delay is one thing that gives me sleepless nights - I have one in my hands now by MSC from Canada and i cant wait for the vessel to land and move on to next deals cos i hate when i keep my clients waiting. . . makes my heart bleed
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Ha ha ha ha . . . Na you talk oh, i know they are fast once they are in Lagos but sometimes the clearing for Hoegh is expensive too, however, delay is one thing that gives me sleepless nights - I have one in my hands now by MSC from Canada and i cant wait for the vessel to land and move on to next deals cos i hate when i keep my clients waiting. . . makes my heart bleed

Its the fast part that I like. It takes luck to be loaded on Grimaldi vessel on scheduled date, they have too many bookings. I prefer where it can sail faster than waiting. Customers are not interested in story of shipping company delays. Once there is a change in schedule, they start to fidget. Hence, I stick with Hoegh. Never been let down. Load on time and keep to schedule.

As per the clearing cost, its usually between 5-10k more which I believe is better than delay.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 12:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

Its the fast part that I like. It takes luck to be loaded on Grimaldi vessel on scheduled date, they have too many bookings. I prefer where it can sail faster than waiting. Customers are not interested in story of shipping company delays. Once there is a change in schedule, they start to fidget. Hence, I stick with Hoegh. Never been let down. Load on time and keep to schedule.

As per the clearing cost, its usually between 5-10k more which I believe is better than delay.

For a newer model ride, like a 2007 Benz that i did, the difference was 150K Naira . . . I halla, cos na Apapa they take their machines to
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 12:59pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

For a newer model ride, like a 2007 Benz that i did, the difference was 150K Naira . . . I halla, cos na Apapa they take their machines to

WHAT?? shocked shocked shocked.... That is ridiculous. Am on the verge on getting a 2007 C350 4Matic Benz too. I will have to get my figures right else I run into shortage cheesy cheesy cheesy.

This is one thing I hate about our system in the country. Why can't there be a fixed price either in percentage of cost price or in terms of year/model of the vehicle. Our system sucks.

I am sure that the excess 150k is an unofficial money.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 1:05pm On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

WHAT?? shocked shocked shocked.... That is ridiculous. Am on the verge on getting a 2007 C350 4Matic Benz too. I will have to get my figures right else I run into shortage cheesy cheesy cheesy.

This is one thing I hate about our system in the country. Why can't there be a fixed price either in percentage of cost price or in terms of year/model of the vehicle. Our system sucks.

I am sure that the excess 150k is an unofficial money.

yes, and even on a 1977 Mack truck, i pay 70K extra . . so pathetic, please get your fact str8 oh, cos the agents gave me cheaper prices before i ship the rides only to get there and story changed
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by bellong: 1:13pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

yes, and even on a 1977 Mack truck, i pay 70K extra . . so pathetic, please get your fact str8 oh, cos the agents gave me cheaper prices before i ship the rides only to get there and story changed

I will surely do that before it becomes a personal debt..lol

Thanks for this info.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 1:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

I will surely do that before it becomes a personal debt..lol

Thanks for this info.

You are welcome . . . For reference, talk to Adexfem of NL

1 Like

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Emperoh(m): 1:29pm On Jul 11, 2013
Under normal circumstances, the difference is normall 15 - 30k in clearing cost from experience though.

Time was when it was just N5k. These days, expect anything.
But like Bellong said, i do rather pay those fees and keep to schedule.
Most times, when i do back and forth, it makes me look like a liar before the client.

On another note, using Grimaldi for containers is a bit faster than roro.
The ish is that there is less traffic on their container line hence, if a car will wait 6 weeks before sailing, container will take 3 weeks. I have experienced this too, where two cars i did roro and container arrived 25 days apart.

Another aspect of Grimaldi i detest is using telex release for clearing a car.
On Hoegh, i never used a Bill of Laden. I just paid N5k extra. After some time, it went up to N5,500.
Don't know how much it is as of now. But Grimaldi will charge you N15k for the same service.
If it were N5k, i won't have need to spend $100 sending BOL to Nigeria.

I just used Sallaum to ship a 2004 Highlander and i have just been given a sail date of 13/07
Grimaldi has NEVER done this before. Hoegh is also definite and i get constant date and they stick to it.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 1:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
Emperoh: Under normal circumstances, the difference is normall 15 - 30k in clearing cost from experience though.

Time was when it was just N5k. These days, expect anything.
But like Bellong said, i do rather pay those fees and keep to schedule.
Most times, when i do back and forth, it makes me look like a liar before the client.

On another note, using Grimaldi for containers is a bit faster than roro.
The ish is that there is less traffic on their container line hence, if a car will wait 6 weeks before sailing, container will take 3 weeks. I have experienced this too, where two cars i did roro and container arrived 25 days apart.

Another aspect of Grimaldi i detest is using telex release for clearing a car.
On Hoegh, i never used a Bill of Laden. I just paid N5k extra. After some time, it went up to N5,500.
Don't know how much it is as of now. But Grimaldi will charge you N15k for the same service.
If it were N5k, i won't have need to spend $100 sending BOL to Nigeria.

I just used Sallaum to ship a 2004 Highlander and i have just been given a sail date of 13/07
Grimaldi has NEVER done this before. Hoegh is also definite and i get constant date and they stick to it.

Chairman . . . Not sure if the agents were milking me oh, but the 2006 Benz i bought for the Nairalander chairman, i paid extra 150K naira on it for clearing, the Mack truck i bought for a Nairalander, i paid extra 70K Naira on it, and that has made me to stay away from Texas, cos with Texas, apapa is the only destination, but i have some Highlander on the way and the price is same.
I have always paid 10K for telex release oh. . . Guess i have to have a serious talk with my agent
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 2:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
bellong:

because of maximising profit, you will hear all these clearing agents insisting on people using Grimaldi.

I prefer Hoegh to them.

Any competent clearing agent would gladly help his/her client clear their consignment irrespective of the customs command/terminal/shipping line it is at.
The same competent clearing agent also know the responsibility rest on his shoulders to advice the client on which shipping line would cut Clearing cost the most.
Example - cleared an 08 Jaguar car from APM Terminal(Apapa) paying customs duty to the tune of N1.4m while duty paid on a similar 08Jaguar at PTML command(Tin-Can) was N750k.
It is fair enough for importers to know what their options are thus be able to make an informed decision in terms of which shipping line to use and what shipping option is best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 2:41pm On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

Any competent clearing agent would gladly help his/her client clear their consignment irrespective of the customs command/terminal/shipping line it is at.
The same competent clearing agent also know the responsibility rest on his shoulders to advice the client on which shipping line would cut Clearing cost the most.
Example - cleared an 08 Jaguar car from APM Terminal(Apapa) paying customs duty to the tune of N1.4m while duty paid on a similar 08Jaguar at PTML command(Tin-Can) was N750k.
It is fair enough for importers to know what their options are thus be able to make an informed decision in terms of which shipping line to use and what shipping option is best.

Almost double . . . I wish the FG would do something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 2:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Chairman . . . Not sure if the agents were milking me oh, but the 2006 Benz i bought for the Nairalander chairman, i paid extra 150K naira on it for clearing, the Mack truck i bought for a Nairalander, i paid extra 70K Naira on it, and that has made me to stay away from Texas, cos with Texas, apapa is the only destination, but i have some Highlander on the way and the price is same.
I have always paid 10K for telex release oh. . . Guess i have to have a serious talk with my agent

Your agent is certainly NOT milking you.
The disparity in valuation given by varying customs command baffles me too(even as an agent),so I can understand clients confusion.
The N15k/N30k example cited earlier is certainly for older cars.
The difference in clearing cost from different customs command could run into millions for some cars.
Like you advice in your other post,it is best to confirm clearing cost before shipping.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

Your agent is certainly NOT milking you.
The disparity in valuation given by varying customs command baffles me too(even as an agent),so I can understand clients confusion.
The N15k/N30k example cited earlier is certainly for older cars.
The difference in clearing cost from different customs command could run into millions for some cars.
Like you advice in your other post,it is best to confirm clearing cost before shipping.

Now i am happily dancing azonto that i was not made into an ATM, but what do a client do in a case where i called you before i ship the ride and you gave me a price and now that the BOL is in your hands and you now telling me that it is no more that price and the difference is running into 100s of thousands? Meaning over 100K Naira . . . What do you advice i do, cos i wont go back to my client to ask for more money
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by femmy2010(m): 3:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Now i am happily dancing azonto that i was not made into an ATM, but what do a client do in a case where i called you before i ship the ride and you gave me a price and now that the BOL is in your hands and you now telling me that it is no more that price and the difference is running into 100s of thousands? Meaning over 100K Naira . . . What do you advice i do, cos i wont go back to my client to ask for more money

Any agent that takes your BOL ,afterward unleash the need for more funding simply lured your patronage thus you shouldn't give your job to him/her.
What I would advicce is before shipping that vehicle,call your agent and tell him/her the details of the vehicle you intend to ship,state the shipping option(RORO/Container) in addition to telling him the name of shipping line you anticipate/plan using and the port of discharge(This your shipper would tell you).
With those details your agent can advice you on what it cost to clear in addition to letting you know of any other shipping line/option that would save you cost and time on the Nigeria end.
Do that and the hitherto burden of going to ask a client more fund for clearing would become a thing of the past.

ASIDE - allow us to work for you oo.
Re: Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2013
femmy2010:

Any agent that takes your BOL ,afterward unleash the need for more funding simply lured your patronage thus you shouldn't give your job to him/her.
What I would advicce is before shipping that vehicle,call your agent and tell him/her the details of the vehicle you intend to ship,state the shipping option(RORO/Container) in addition to telling him the name of shipping line you anticipate/plan using and the port of discharge(This your shipper would tell you).
With those details your agent can advice you on what it cost to clear in addition to letting you know of any other shipping line/option that would save you cost and time on the Nigeria end.
Do that and the hitherto burden of going to ask a client more fund for clearing would become a thing of the past.

ASIDE - allow us to work for you oo.

Chairman, i am not sure you understand my question, let us assume i use your service . . . You gave me a price to clear a ride after all information has been given to you, if the vessel now gets to Nigeria and the cost to clear is more than you have quoted me, what would you do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 / Naira Redesign: Grains Prices Crash Days After Record Surge / Dangote Commences Pre-testing Of $2bn Fertilizer Plant Ahead Of Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.