Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House (19224 Views)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
1. Your parents are basically demi-gods. It doesn’t matter if you learned that the sky is blue. If your parents say the sky is orange, the sky is in fact, orange. At least, in their presence.

2. Your parents will seldom ever admit they are wrong. And if and when they do, you will be too stunned to even believe it.

3. Your grandparents are the only people who can put your parents in their place. (And you will enjoy those moments.)

4. Your house is a free for all. At some point a relative, twice-removed, will be invited to stay for an extended-period of time.

5. You will likely be raised the old-fashioned way -“you spare the rod, you spoil the child” kind of old-fashioned way. In your adulthood, you’ll largely be grateful for it and you’ll always be able to tell the difference between people who were raised the same way and people who were not.

6. God help you if you’re living under your parent’s roof and you yell at them, slam a door in anger, and/or curse in their presence. Yeah, God help you.

7. The youngest child will be blamed for everything….until he or she is able to talk.

8. The oldest child will be blamed for everything that the younger children do.

9. If you cry while being accused of something, it is assumed that you are guilty.

10. Your parents will call you from upstairs, downstairs, outside, etc., to hand them something that is literally 10 centimeters away from them.

11. You will not leave your parents’ home without learning how to cook.

12. Religious attendance and practice is not an option.

13. Everyone who is older than you is your “auntie” or “uncle.” Calling them by their first name is basically a crime against humanity.

14. You will probably never meet all of your extended family because there are just so many of them.

15. This one specifically applies to most Nigerians (although I have to hand it to papa and mama Biakolo for not putting this kind of pressure on us): Doing well in school is not an option and by doing well, parents have expectations that you will be the best at everything. Example: If you get a 98%, they might ask, “What happened to the other 2%?” If you get a B, your parents will likely ask, “The person who got an A, do they have three heads?” Just do well in school.

16. Your friends better greet your parents first when they see them or that friendship is pretty much over. R-E-S-P-E-C-T is H-U-G-E.

17. Sleepovers at friends’ houses are mythical tales or basically only happen when your parents have known the family’s family since the beginning of time.

18. Another mythical tale – being in a serious relationship with anyone when you’re in your teens. And until your parents believe you are of, “courtship age,” they will refer to anyone you are dating as, “your friend.”

19. You will still be expected to have a traditional engagement/marriage regardless of where the person you’re marrying is from. (Have fun explaining the details of that to all your significant others!)

20. Your parents will talk to you in a lot of proverbs and metaphors. For example, when I was 12, I spent half a day trying to figure out what my dad meant when he said, “When I talk to you and advise you, do I talk with water in my mouth?” I eventually got it.

21. You will have maybe 3 conversations about sex with your parents – one when puberty starts to take its course, the second one when you start secondary school Biology, and the third one when you are about to leave home. The will all surprisingly sound like the Mean Girl’s quote, “Don’t have sex because you will get pregnant and die!” followed by “Do not bring shame to this family!” Got it parents, I can’t start dating until I’m married and I can’t have sex until after I’ve had children.

22. Your siblings will be the first people to bully the crap out of you. Later on, you’ll realize that they were preparing you for a big bad world out there.

23. If your entire full name is being called, and your native language is also being spoken, the day shall not pass without tears.

24. Soda in the fridge? Either your parents were in a REALLY good mood or there are visitors coming over.

25. Surprisingly, alcohol is a hit or miss with African parents. It depends on the set that you get. My dad drinks, my mum doesn’t (at all). I got to choose. I chose my dad’s viewpoint.

26. You won’t realize how incredibly hilarious and somewhat bizarre your upbringing was until you reach adulthood. And you’ll burst out into tears of laughter when you’re sitting next to an African woman who is telling her child who probably just got a B, “So the person who got an A, do they have three heads?” Hang in there kid, they secretly boast that they have the best children ever, just not to your face. TC mark

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/26-things-that-happen-when-you-grow-up-in-an-african-house/

78 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
Everthing about this is so true. Lmao

Especially the sex part, I remember my dad telling my sis when she was still a child "please don't let any boy touch you, before you get pregant"

Walayi if it was that simple, I for don impregnant queen eliza and become a royal nigga by now. Lmao

Thanks alosiby92 for this link

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by toluleke(m): 12:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
nice one...more power to ur research
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by greedie1(f): 12:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
No 10---arghhhhh so. annoying smiley
No 13--didn't do that grin

2 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
mehn...those were the times. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ifihearam: 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
lalaosky: 1. Your parents are basically demi-gods. It doesn’t matter if you learned that the sky is blue. If your parents say the sky is orange, the sky is in fact, orange. At least, in their presence.

2. Your parents will seldom ever admit they are wrong. And if and when they do, you will be too stunned to even believe it.

3. Your grandparents are the only people who can put your parents in their place. (And you will enjoy those moments.)

4. Your house is a free for all. At some point a relative, twice-removed, will be invited to stay for an extended-period of time.

5. You will likely be raised the old-fashioned way -“you spare the rod, you spoil the child” kind of old-fashioned way. In your adulthood, you’ll largely be grateful for it and you’ll always be able to tell the difference between people who were raised the same way and people who were not.

6. God help you if you’re living under your parent’s roof and you yell at them, slam a door in anger, and/or curse in their presence. Yeah, God help you.

7. The youngest child will be blamed for everything….until he or she is able to talk.

8. The oldest child will be blamed for everything that the younger children do.

9. If you cry while being accused of something, it is assumed that you are guilty.

10. Your parents will call you from upstairs, downstairs, outside, etc., to hand them something that is literally 10 centimeters away from them.

12. Religious attendance and practice is not an option.

13. Everyone who is older than you is your “auntie” or “uncle.” Calling them by their first name is basically a crime against humanity.

14. You will probably never meet all of your extended family because there are just so many of them.

15. This one specifically applies to most Nigerians (although I have to hand it to papa and mama Biakolo for not putting this kind of pressure on us): Doing well in school is not an option and by doing well, parents have expectations that you will be the best at everything. Example: If you get a 98%, they might ask, “What happened to the other 2%?” If you get a B, your parents will likely ask, “The person who got an A, do they have three heads?” Just do well in school.

16. Your friends better greet your parents first when they see them or that friendship is pretty much over. R-E-S-P-E-C-T is H-U-G-E.

17. Sleepovers at friends’ houses are mythical tales or basically only happen when your parents have known the family’s family since the beginning of time.

18. Another mythical tale – being in a serious relationship with anyone when you’re in your teens. And until your parents believe you are of, “courtship age,” they will refer to anyone you are dating as, “your friend.”

19. You will still be expected to have a traditional engagement/marriage regardless of where the person you’re marrying is from. (Have fun explaining the details of that to all your significant others!)

20. Your parents will talk to you in a lot of proverbs and metaphors. For example, when I was 12, I spent half a day trying to figure out what my dad meant when he said, “When I talk to you and advise you, do I talk with water in my mouth?” I eventually got it.

21. You will have maybe 3 conversations about sex with your parents – one when puberty starts to take its course, the second one when you start secondary school Biology, and the third one when you are about to leave home. The will all surprisingly sound like the Mean Girl’s quote, “Don’t have sex because you will get pregnant and die!” followed by “Do not bring shame to this family!” Got it parents, I can’t start dating until I’m married and I can’t have sex until after I’ve had children.

22. Your siblings will be the first people to bully the crap out of you. Later on, you’ll realize that they were preparing you for a big bad world out there.

23. If your entire full name is being called, and your native language is also being spoken, the day shall not pass without tears.

24. Soda in the fridge? Either your parents were in a REALLY good mood or there are visitors coming over.

25. Surprisingly, alcohol is a hit or miss with African parents. It depends on the set that you get. My dad drinks, my mum doesn’t (at all). I got to choose. I chose my dad’s viewpoint.

26. You won’t realize how incredibly hilarious and somewhat bizarre your upbringing was until you reach adulthood. And you’ll burst out into tears of laughter when you’re sitting next to an African woman who is telling her child who probably just got a B, “So the person who got an A, do they have three heads?” Hang in there kid, they secretly boast that they have the best children ever, just not to your face. TC mark

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/26-things-that-happen-when-you-grow-up-in-an-african-house/

RFLMAO

So true man ehhhh

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Blazinraj01(f): 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
. smiley
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
I miss childhood smiley
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Monzuur(m): 9:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
True yawn kudos @op......
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by mysticgal(f): 9:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
The part of refurbishing the older ones,by the time it gets to the younger ones they have become tired;-Dall the things op stated is just too correct
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Chimerase(m): 9:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
Dts ok
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by venorite(m): 9:03pm On Jun 01, 2013
and u couldnt roll on the floor without quoting the whole thread,i see....monkey like u
ifihearam:

RFLMAO

So true man ehhhh

11 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by vanbonattel: 9:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
We have to preserve the African way of raising children, it still proves to be better than the oyibo way.......

12 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Tolexander: 9:07pm On Jun 01, 2013
Forgotten these

whenever there is a rift between two siblings, the younger is always blamed and smacked for disrespecting the elder!

Father owns everything in the house including what mum bought cos the father is the head of the family.

Mum and dad always wanting the children to support them to fight and blame the other during quarrel

7 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by dedons: 9:08pm On Jun 01, 2013
I sad'm afraid of making any comment

cos my OGA AT d TOP is watching me

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by dedons: 9:10pm On Jun 01, 2013
calebo101: I miss childhood smiley
but your manhood lives on grin

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by 2bosun: 9:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
Very funny but also very true. If it's the last thing I do on earth, I MUST pass all our African values to my children.

7 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by manfred10(m): 9:15pm On Jun 01, 2013
In my place even if some one is a hundred yrs old calling their name ( first name for that matter) is deemed more respectful
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by killuminati(m): 9:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
Wow! Africa must wake up,sleeping sons of jacob.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
undecided numba 10 & 13

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Shugamania(f): 9:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
grin
Hehehehehehe..
For real na number 10 dey pain me pass, and u dare not grumble if u no wan receive manual reset.

7 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Truckpusher(m): 9:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
Number 10 gets me into trouble all the time grin grin
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by bokohalal(m): 9:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
2bosun: Very funny but also very true. If it's the last thing I do on earth, I MUST pass all our African values to my children.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
Number 10!!!!!!!

Arrgh!!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by aglomar: 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
ln essence, you are inculcated with some priceless values and virtues.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ebamma3: 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
Your parents always tell u that when the were in school the always took 1st

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Odunharry(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
nyc one op..very correct bt dnt agree totally wt 13.nt in all homes

www.nairaland.com/1309759/bonus-mtn-users

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Mudley313: 9:24pm On Jun 01, 2013
lalaosky:

not necessarily, unless maybe you're female...most of the guys abroad who cook are mostly those who attended university in naija, cos you don't learn how to cook in high school boarding school, cos there's a dining hall, and your mom, sisters, or housemaid do the major cookings at home

13. Everyone who is older than you is your “auntie” or “uncle.”

haha. did anybody else try to replicate that abroad only to be met by utter bewilderment? and also, your male n female school teachers are also your uncles and aunties respectively,lol

hahaha...you go out n buy single bottles when visitors visit, and only buy "crates" for special occasions like birthdays

2 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
ifihearam:

RFLMAO

So true man ehhhh
did you have to quote everything.u coulda still typed ur response and we'd knw what you're talking about.haba
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Krasid(m): 9:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
So true.Back then,my father would send me to buy something for him and when i get back he would send me to buy something he forgot to tell me.I would get so angry,but couldn't do anything(except you wanted to sleep outside) and i would start grumbling silently.

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by boron10(m): 9:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
More like the upbringing of a yoruba child.

5 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ajetunde: 9:29pm On Jun 01, 2013

24 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Good School In Ibadan / I Am Tired Of My Oyinbo Wife / He Said He 'touched' Her..&for Me That Has Changed A Lot Of Things!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.