Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria (5950 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
1) Dont come here, life is not easy you will suffer just stay in Nigeria.

the truth is, life abroad is very easy and simple. In fact, if you go to the U.S with a legal visa, withing a month, you can get a job and begin working your way up while going to school. These people will come to Nigeria build houses everywhere, buy cars everywhere, spend money like there is no tomorrow, but when its your turn to go abroad they till you dont come its not easy? common think about it: they don't want you to be on their level that's it..

2)There is no freedom, Nigeria has more freedom than Europe, U.S etc

this is one of the biggest myth and lie Nigerians abroad tell Nigerians back home. The fact is, the freedom that American citizens enjoy can not compare to that of Nigerians. There is a saying that goes "freedom without rules is chaos" and this is what Nigerians don't understand. They are used to the type of chaos they endured in Nigeria; heavy corruption, bribery, terrible government, and unprofessional police officers. You will have to leave uncivilized ways back in Nigeria and adjust to civilized freedom....things like the Olu 4..is a no no

3)Everybody minds his/her own business unlike naija where you mingle and make friends easily,therefore he's more lonely there than Nigeria.

Another terrible lie. If you are a Nigerian and you live in the U.S or U.k and you are lonely..you yourself chose to be lonely period There are too many Nigerian churches and parties to attend every weekend for anyone to be lonely.

More to come

3 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by euromoney(f): 5:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
ok!
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Sanboy25: 6:37pm On Jun 02, 2013

Haha, the truth is finally unfold. grin

2 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
Sanboy25:
Haha, the truth is finally unfold. grin

yes of course..the truth always prevails...
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Sanboy25: 6:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
yes of course..the truth always prevails...

Yeah, thanks. grin

1 Like

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 02, 2013
Attention seeker.

6 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jun 02, 2013
dahonestboss: Attention seeker.

grin grin grin grin thats funny because if this thread was about..how Nigerians abroad are suffering you will agree and advice people not to go...because am telling the truth now am seeking attention in the travel section? grin grin grin grin of course

3 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 02, 2013
The question is how many people actually go abroad with legal documents?. You should have pointed out in your write-up that those with incomplete papers usually end up with a different fate to those who migrate legally.
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 02, 2013
honey86: The question is how many people actually go abroad with legal documents?. You should have pointed out in your write-up that those with incomplete papers usually end up with a different fate to those who migrate legally.

I cant speak for U.k but in the U.S even if you come here illegally you can still get a job pretty quickly....of course you cant just come here without knowing anyone and be homeless.....my cousin came here july last year for a business class....he was suppose to leave in december....but he is still here working making money...he just bought a car...has a nice apartment....he will marry a citizen and get his green card its that simple....all that other stuff people complain about is very rear....and most of it is a lie...I dont know a single Nigerian here thats not doing well....

3 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2013
People NEED TO STOP SPREADING LIES AND DISCOURAGING PEOPLE FROM GETTING A BETTER LIFE FOR THEM SELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES....

2 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Vicjustice: 6:04am On Jun 03, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

the truth is, life abroad is very easy and simple. In fact, if you go to the U.S with a legal visa, withing a month, you can get a job and begin working your way up while going to school. These people will come to Nigeria build houses everywhere, buy cars everywhere, spend money like there is no tomorrow, but when its your turn to go abroad they till you dont come its not easy? common think about it: they don't want you to be on their level that's it..

this is one of the biggest myth and lie Nigerians abroad tell Nigerians back home. The fact is, the freedom that American citizens enjoy can not compare to that of Nigerians. There is a saying that goes "freedom without rules is chaos" and this is what Nigerians don't understand. They are used to the type of chaos they endured in Nigeria; heavy corruption, bribery, terrible government, and unprofessional police officers. You will have to leave uncivilized ways back in Nigeria and adjust to civilized freedom....things like the Olu 4..is a no no

3)Everybody minds his/her own business unlike naija where you mingle and make friends easily,therefore he's more lonely there than Nigeria.

Another terrible lie. If you are a Nigerian and you live in the U.S or U.k and you are lonely..you yourself chose to be lonely period There are too many Nigerian churches and parties to attend every weekend for anyone to be lonely.

More to come
I totally agree with points 2 and 3, but I'm not quite sure about point 1

2 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 10:48am On Jun 03, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

More to come

(1)Life abroad is easy just like Nigeria too as it depends on what you do, your legal status, level of education, people you mingle with and most importantly how you stay out of trouble so as not to be caught with up with the wrong crowd. Different people have different stories but as long as there is a will, then you will survive anywhere.

(2)Actually that might not be a lie as it all depends on how we define FREEDOM. Freedom to a Nigerian man is doing stuff that should not be done and getting away with it without any repercussions, i.e you could beat your wife//girlfriend up and when the police is called you can actually bribe your way out of it. Sleep and marry an under age child and get away with it, drink and fight in public and get away with it, steal public/private fund and brazenly display it, drive drunk or over speed and get away with it, and a host of others. So if you expect this kind of FREEDOM in a Western Country then you might as well stay in Nigeria.

(3)This again is true s it depends on where you live. The US is quite different from UK, for example I have only run into two Nigerian's in the city I live. one a traveling Reverend father from the Eastern part of Nigeria, and the other a Yoruba guy that's an Engineer with a company that builds aircraft for mostly Arab clients, and I have been living in this city for many years.

So to say there are Nigerian churches or parties everywhere is far from the truth. And to get Nigerian food stuff I have to drive about 262 miles exactly to another State to get what I need, and this I do like once a month or once every two months.

And still with this I do not discourage people from coming. I usually tell them the truth and nothing but the truth, on what to expect as an immigrant. But also tell them if you can survive Nigeria, then you can survive anything a White Man's world will throw your way.
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Originalsly: 11:26am On Jun 03, 2013
Lafflaff123....that's the truth. @Op #1...I disagree with jobs are easy to get. I'm not saying that no one ever finds a job easily but for the majority jobs are very hard to get.As a new immigrant it is even more difficult because you have no US experience and communication would be a problem because of heavy Naija accent...even the ones with their fake American accents. It is always easier if your host start job hunting for you from the time you get visa.Jobs are not easy to get...even for American citizens with experience.

1 Like

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by kennybuda: 11:43am On Jun 03, 2013
Mr, we agree but point out those countries one can get it greeener that easy cause some nigerians are ready to jump over to any country without minding her economic background, when it comes to migration dont encourage people that way bro.
Mr knowitall.:
People NEED TO STOP SPREADING LIES AND DISCOURAGING PEOPLE FROM GETTING A BETTER LIFE FOR THEM SELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES....
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 03, 2013
lafflaff123:

(1)Life abroad is easy just like Nigeria too as it depends on what you do, your legal status, level of education, people you mingle with and most importantly how you stay out of trouble so as not to be caught with up with the wrong crowd. Different people have different stories but as long as there is a will, then you will survive anywhere.

(2)Actually that might not be a lie as it all depends on how we define FREEDOM. Freedom to a Nigerian man is doing stuff that should not be done and getting away with it without any repercussions, i.e you could beat your wife//girlfriend up and when the police is called you can actually bribe your way out of it. Sleep and marry an under age child and get away with it, drink and fight in public and get away with it, steal public/private fund and brazenly display it, drive drunk or over speed and get away with it, and a host of others. So if you expect this kind of FREEDOM in a Western Country then you might as well stay in Nigeria.

(3)This again is true s it depends on where you live. The US is quite different from UK, for example I have only run into two Nigerian's in the city I live. one a traveling Reverend father from the Eastern part of Nigeria, and the other a Yoruba guy that's an Engineer with a company that builds aircraft for mostly Arab clients, and I have been living in this city for many years.

So to say there are Nigerian churches or parties everywhere is far from the truth. And to get Nigerian food stuff I have to drive about 262 miles exactly to another State to get what I need, and this I do like once a month or once every two months.

And still with this I do not discourage people from coming. I usually tell them the truth and nothing but the truth, on what to expect as an immigrant. But also tell them if you can survive Nigeria, then you can survive anything a White Man's world will throw your way.

...your situation is very very rear...In fact, there are Nigerian churches in China, Hong Gong...you must have really isolated yourself....you have to drive 262 miles for Nigerian food? where do you live? am sure ill find one much closer to you so you dong have to drive so far....
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jun 03, 2013
Originalsly: Lafflaff123....that's the truth. @Op #1...I disagree with jobs are easy to get. I'm not saying that no one ever finds a job easily but for the majority jobs are very hard to get.As a new immigrant it is even more difficult because you have no US experience and communication would be a problem because of heavy Naija accent...even the ones with their fake American accents. It is always easier if your host start job hunting for you from the time you get visa.Jobs are not easy to get...even for American citizens with experience.

Jobs are everywhere...I never said tax paying jobs....there are plenty Nigerians working and making good money...without a social security number...but of course if you are competing for a professional jobs you must qualify to get the job.....that heavy accent crap is a myth.....there are Indians here with terrible accent and they get jobs just fine...Nigerians invented the accent myth because they were getting denied for jobs they don't qualify for....so naturally Nigerians will blame others instead of improving on them selves...
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 3:48pm On Jun 03, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Jobs are everywhere...I never said tax paying jobs....there are plenty Nigerians working and making good money...without a social security number...but of course if you are competing for a professional jobs you must qualify to get the job.....that heavy accent crap is a myth.....there are Indians here with terrible accent and they get jobs just fine...Nigerians invented the accent myth because they were getting denied for jobs they don't qualify for....so naturally Nigerians will blame others instead of improving on them selves...

My situation is not rare bro and I did not deliberately set out to isolate myself, some times the nature of your job takes you to places you will not believe you will ever find yourself, and trust me there are a lot of places in the US that there are no African presence, especially in the deep south where even the African American avoid, let alone immigrants.

As regards African food and stuff, if there is one close to me I am sure after all these years now I should have known it, then as regards the accent thing. The Western world, especially the US believe in your paper qualifications, note that this qualifications should be from a US School, as they US Work place discriminates against all qualifications not gotten in the United States and this includes degrees from even Canada.

So if you come from Nigeria with your plenty degrees, my advice is for you to find any low income job for the time being and get any certification and from there build yourself up. You can not get a good job with a Nigerian degree in the US, so people should stop saying they get discriminated against because of their accents. The Indians and others especially in the Silicon Valley are American educated, and even if they have accents like the traders in Onitsha the US looks at their paper qualification and if American educated and qualified the job is theirs pronto.

1 Like

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 03, 2013
lafflaff123:

My situation is not rare bro and I did not deliberately set out to isolate myself, some times the nature of your job takes you to places you will not believe you will ever find yourself, and trust me there are a lot of places in the US that there are no African presence, especially in the deep south where even the African American avoid, let alone immigrants.

As regards African food and stuff, if there is one close to me I am sure after all these years now I should have known it, then as regards the accent thing. The Western world, especially the US believe in your paper qualifications, note that this qualifications should be from a US School, as they US Work place discriminates against all qualifications not gotten in the United States and this includes degrees from even Canada.

So if you come from Nigeria with your plenty degrees, my advice is for you to find any low income job for the time being and get any certification and from there build yourself up. You can not get a good job with a Nigerian degree in the US, so people should stop saying they get discriminated against because of their accents. The Indians and others especially in the Silicon Valley are American educated, and even if they have accents like the traders in Onitsha the US looks at their paper qualification and if American educated and qualified the job is theirs pronto.

Tell me which state you live...and ill locate one for you within your state....to help my fellow Nigerian...
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 5:30pm On Jun 03, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Tell me which state you live...and ill locate one for you within your state....to help my fellow Nigerian...

Thanks bro.

I know my State and city more than you, plus i know what i am talking about.

3 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Originalsly: 5:50pm On Jun 03, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

What jobs in the US don't require you to pay tax? Even if you are self employed you have to pay tax. Unless you are referring to 419 or hustling.That's not what people want to hear about. ...and do these your jobs pay minimum wage? If you can find jobs for people anywhere then you should have an employment office. I'm sure you will need lots of security for crowd control.You are the first person I've heard saying jobs are easy to find. You special bro.

2 Likes

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Originalsly: 6:09pm On Jun 03, 2013
On accents...I do agree that US certification is the main thing they consider but...by the time you get that certificate you would've already learn to communicate much better. I was referring to the just arrived....the American would be hard pressed to understand him and he even harder pressed to understand the American...then it depends on where in America. I assume Lafflaff lives in the South and can hmmm...decipher their accent much better than US citizens born and raised in NY and other places in the north.On Lafflaff travelling 200 plus miles for African foodstuff....what s so strange about that? After all...he only ran into 2 Nigerians...Doesn't that say something about who lives in his area? There are so many places in the US when you see another Black person you simply have to go introduce yourselves...its automatic...regardless if he is Nigerian/whatever tribe/ BH sef.Why would an African shop be anywhere close to such a neighborhood?

1 Like

Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 6:56pm On Jun 03, 2013
Originalsly: On accents...I do agree that US certification is the main thing they consider but...by the time you get that certificate you would've already learn to communicate much better. I was referring to the just arrived....the American would be hard pressed to understand him and he even harder pressed to understand the American...then it depends on where in America. I assume Lafflaff lives in the South and can hmmm...decipher their accent much better than US citizens born and raised in NY and other places in the north.On Lafflaff travelling 200 plus miles for African foodstuff....what s so strange about that? After all...he only ran into 2 Nigerians...Doesn't that say something about who lives in his area? There are so many places in the US when you see another Black person you simply have to go introduce yourselves...its automatic...regardless if he is Nigerian/whatever tribe/ BH sef.Why would an African shop be anywhere close to such a neighborhood?

True that on all your statements.
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 04, 2013
lafflaff123:

Thanks bro.

I know my State and city more than you, plus i know what i am talking about.

Well I dont know...but the fact that you dont want to say which state you are in...makes it hard to believe your story.....so maybe you are in Nigeria telling stories.....even me that lives in the south...in a 262 mile radius there are over 20+ Nigerian restaurants not counting the Ghanaian and Cameroon ones...i dont believe your story jare...
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Idowuogbo(f): 12:35am On Jun 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Well I dont know...but the fact that you dont want to say which state you are in...makes it hard to believe your story.....so maybe you are in Nigeria telling stories.....even me that lives in the south...in a 262 mile radius there are over 20+ Nigerian restaurants not counting the Ghanaian and Cameroon ones...i dont believe your story jare...
Na! he's based in yanks fam! cool

Hi Nairalandguy smiley
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 04, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Na! he's based in yanks fam! cool

Hi Nairalandguy smiley

Ill believe you.... smiley wink lipsrsealed kiss cry
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 2:47am On Jun 04, 2013
Miss Idowu how na? Long time no reply and have you checked your mail of late? please do.

And @MrKnowitall just because I refuse to tell you my State or city automatically turns me into a liar? you are a funny guy and I will not indulge you in any of your childish mudslinging.

So my question to you is what exactly is in America that will make somebody claim to be there?
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:27am On Jun 04, 2013
lafflaff123: Miss Idowu how na? Long time no reply and have you checked your mail of late? please do.

And @MrKnowitall just because I refuse to tell you my State or city automatically turns me into a liar? you are a funny guy and I will not indulge you in any of your childish mudslinging.

So my question to you is what exactly is in America that will make somebody claim to be there?

I dont know ma nig..you are the one thats there...so you tell me...what makes people claim they are in America when they are not?
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 6:20am On Jun 04, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

I dont know ma nig..you are the one thats there...so you tell me...what makes people claim they are in America when they are not?

Go back to your XBOX games and whenever you are grown, and not jump into childish irrational decisions about people you know nothing about, then come have a chat with me.

Its so difficult contributing anything on Nairaland these days without some testosterone filled cowboy not calling you names.

My last reply to you and have a good day.
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 04, 2013
lafflaff123:

Go back to your XBOX games and whenever you are grown, and not jump into childish irrational decisions about people you know nothing about, then come have a chat with me.

Its so difficult contributing anything on Nairaland these days without some testosterone filled cowboy not calling you names.

My last reply to you and have a good day.

You too..
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Idowuogbo(f): 6:53am On Jun 04, 2013
Hehehe.... Characters!!! grin
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by Idowuogbo(f): 6:55am On Jun 04, 2013
lafflaff123: Miss Idowu how na? Long time no reply and have you checked your mail of late? please do.

My bad... I'm on it. smiley
Re: Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria by lafflaff123(m): 6:56am On Jun 04, 2013
Idowuogbo:

My bad... I'm on it. smiley

Okay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dv 2012 Lottery Results Have Been Voided Due To Computer Programming Error. / RAF Fighter Jet Escort Nigerian Aircraft After Radio Failure / True Pictures Of All Seasons Hotels Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.