Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,588 members, 7,801,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. (8173 Views)

Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion / 10 Reasons Why Any Reasonable Man Has To Submit To God Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 10:04am On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I know. Just don't say the term God is ambiguous. It isn't in this context.

Did I say it was?

Uyi Iredia:
And what else can 'begins to exist' mean ? Cause is a condition necessary for another to take place. Your definition is flawed because time isn't an object and can't precede itself.

In that case, the reason my rejection of the definition is pretty clear. I didn't say time was an object. What I meant was something being temporally preceded by another in time.

Uyi Iredia:
That is strongly suggested. I believe the phrase 'massive evidence for evolution' is known to you.

If someone said that, please show this otherwise be silent on it.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 10:07am On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

In the OP I replied. I coukd be wrong, of course, but you'll have to show how.

If you could be wrong, why didn't you take the time to find out whether or not you were wrong before speaking? You're now asking me to demonstrate your own point to you? This is ridiculous. If you cannot, simply say so.

Uyi Iredia:
What is clear is that you are dull and need to nderstand the concept of taste (see Wikipedia) to see that my point was valid.

This is why I say you don't know how to have a reasonable conversation. The unintelligent laziness demonstrated by this response clearly shows your poor reasoning skills. If you usually go around comparing taste by eating the Eiffel Tower, then the problems you face are deep indeed.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Kay17: 10:08am On Jun 05, 2013
Sorry for breaking up my argument, I thought the qualities of the mind only will convince one of its higher complexity than Chance.

Chance: possibility of the happening of an event.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 10:12am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr anony:
This is just you beating about the bush and you know it. You have already conceded that the laws defining how the universe behaves do not exist necessarily. You wouldn't have made the contention "if the universe had been any other way" if you thought the universe existed necessarily. Not only that, you have also conceded that the universe began to exist at some point.

Where exactly did I make these concessions?

Mr anony:
Now let me ask you again and this time pointblank. [size=13pt]Does the universe exist necessarily in it's current form and function? Yes or no.[/size]

And just so you don't misunderstand me, by "form" I mean - the way it appears, and by "function" I mean - the way it behaves

Be very careful how you answer this question. Let me tell you the implications: If you say yes, then you would be saying that the idea of a multiverse is a logically incoherent idea. If you say no, then you would be saying that the universe must ultimately be contingent on something that exists necessarily. Your call

I don't know.

Mr anony:
I have read it and I think you have missed my point but just to be sure I got what you were talking about, by "chaos" you mean something like this?

The movement of a double pendulum.

I was making the point which you missed. I said the universe had chaos inbuilt. You asked for a reason for this conclusion and I presented it. What I showed you was that however the universe turned out, you would still have given the same answer to these very different questions and that means your answer which tries to explain it all actually explains nothing.

Now can you tell me who created the moon?
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Kay17: 10:17am On Jun 05, 2013
@anony

Your double pendulum diagram shows a good degree of symmetry, perfect lines and angles. If you can notice on a plane, some intersecting points are arranged to form a curve.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by DeepSight(m): 10:35am On Jun 05, 2013
Kay 17: @anony

Your double pendulum diagram shows a good degree of symmetry, perfect lines and angles. If you can notice on a plane, some intersecting points are arranged to form a curve.

And in the case of the universe, only one with a bird's eye view of it would see the super-structure as it really is and really moves. People inside it can only see small bits of movement, which of course, some may conclude appears chaotic to them.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 10:39am On Jun 05, 2013
thehomer: Where exactly did I make these concessions?

I don't know.
Lol. of course you don't

I was making the point which you missed. I said the universe had chaos inbuilt. You asked for a reason for this conclusion and I presented it.
I got all that. What I am asking is whether that diagram is an example of what you meant when you were talking about chaos because it was one of the examples given in the article you presented.

by the way this is a summary of chaos as per your article:
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future. - Edward Lorenz

Do you agree with it?

What I showed you was that however the universe turned out, you would still have given the same answer to these very different questions and that means your answer which tries to explain it all actually explains nothing.
You can't make this counterargument because it presupposes that the universe does not exist necessarily and you just said you don't know. Do you know now?

Now can you tell me who created the moon?
I've told you who created the universe. Go figure
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 10:41am On Jun 05, 2013

I think that's an argument you should take up with thehomer. He presented that as an example
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 10:48am On Jun 05, 2013
Kay 17: That's what most theists say. Deepsight especially has claimed God the simplest entity, such that he is an accumulation of parts and causes.

However complexity prima facie indicates causation.
I think you mean simple in the sense that God IS NOT an accumulation of parts and causes. However you were arguing that God is simpler than chance in the sense of a particular explanation for the universe but chance is not simple in the same sense that God is simple. It looks like somewhere along the line of you argument, you did a bait and switch maneuver.

Now how chance came to be compared to mind in the same context of simplicity is what I don't understand. It looks like comparing apples and oranges to me but of course you can make your argument clearer.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Kay17: 11:04am On Jun 05, 2013
@anony

Sorry, you got it right, God is not an accumulation of parts and causes. A mistake.

In furtherance with what I said, the Universe (by theists' argument) is a product of a mind. A mind is complex and by such nature, have a cause.

The conflict arises in stating God is uncaused in spite of complexity necessary in a mind and still insisting he is simple is a contradiction.

God and Chance are being measured by the yardstick of simplicity, in that regard, they are comparable.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 11:24am On Jun 05, 2013
Sorry, you got it right, God is not an accumulation of parts and causes. A mistake.
no worries

In furtherance with what I said, the Universe (by theists' argument) is a product of a mind. A mind is complex and by such nature, have a cause.
But you and I both know that a mind is not complex in the same sense that for instance a car is complex.
For example, a mind is simpler than a car in the sense of what it is made of (i.e. it's form)
yet a car is simpler than a mind in the sense of what it can do (i.e. function). You see what I mean?

The conflict arises in stating God is uncaused in spite of complexity necessary in a mind and still insisting he is simple is a contradiction.
The question is complexity in what sense? God is very simple in form and yet very complex in function. There is no contradiction there?

God and Chance are being measured by the yardstick of simplicity, in that regard, they are comparable.
The question you have not answered is: the yardstick of simplicity in what context?
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Kay17: 11:37am On Jun 05, 2013
Deep Sight:

And in the case of the universe, only one with a bird's eye view of it would see the super-structure as it really is and really moves. People inside it can only see small bits of movement, which of course, some may conclude appears chaotic to them.

I totally agree the universe is orderly. I see a glass falling and shattered to pieces as orderly, cos it dutifully obeys the applicable physical laws. If the glass doesn't shatter, then it is disorderly with everything being equal.

Also note: that none of us has a bird eye view of the Universe, we merely use our minds, which adequately does the job.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 12:00pm On Jun 05, 2013
Kay 17:

I totally agree the universe is orderly. I see a glass falling and shattered to pieces as orderly, cos it dutifully obeys the applicable physical laws. If the glass doesn't shatter, then it is disorderly without everything being equal.

Also note: that none of us has a bird eye view of the Universe, we merely use our minds, which adequately does the job.
Let me ask you a question I have asked thehomer. Do you think these physical laws exist necessarily i.e. Do you think they couldn't have existed any other way?
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 1:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol. of course you don't

So will you show me where I made this concession?

Mr anony:
I got all that. What I am asking is whether that diagram is an example of what you meant when you were talking about chaos because it was one of the examples given in the article you presented.

by the way this is a summary of chaos as per your article:
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future. - Edward Lorenz

Do you agree with it?

I agree with the fact that chaos is an integral part of the universe if you do not agree with that fact after reading that article, then simply say so rather than rambling on about definitions. The article is more informative than a definition. And that is the point I was making.

Mr anony:
You can't make this counterargument because it presupposes that the universe does not exist necessarily and you just said you don't know. Do you know now?

I don't have to know in order to make that argument. It does not presuppose that about the universe, it demonstrates the fact that your so-called answer tries to explain everything.

You're basically making the same mistake you made when you were confusing logical possibilities with physical possibilities. I don't know that it is physically possible for the universe to be any other way but it is logically possible. Try not to keep confusing these two issues.

Mr anony:
I've told you who created the universe. Go figure

This makes no sense. Even if your God created the universe, it doesn't mean he also created the moon otherwise, one can also say he created a gun.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 2:03pm On Jun 05, 2013
thehomer:
So will you show me where I made this concession?
You made it when you argued "if the universe turned out any other way". Well, it doesn't matter now as you have said "you don't know?"

I agree with the fact that chaos is an integral part of the universe if you do not agree with that fact after reading that article, then simply say so rather than rambling on about definitions. The article is more informative than a definition. And that is the point I was making.
Lolol, you have not said whether you agree or not, well, no matter instead of beating about the bush, let me address your question of chaos:
The problem is that you have not used chaos in the sense that I was using it i.e. I argued that the universe follows a set of specific physical laws such that we can accurately predict what should happen next given the initial conditions. Chaos in the sense I meant would be a situation where the universe will not function according to any laws such that we can predict what will happen next.
The article you linked didn't provide such a situation. In fact it agrees that if we knew the precise initial conditions that lead to an action, we would be able to predict that action accurately however where we can't precisely measure the initial conditions leading to the action, we would miss it by a very wide mark. Your double pendulum example for instance follows the physical laws of the universe to the letter and hence is not chaotic in that sense. If we could freeze each moment and measure precisely the exact energy and force at that moment, we would accurately predict exactly where the pendulum will swing next. The only reason it looks random is because we cannot adequately measure it's movement.
You have failed to present any example of chaos that violates physical laws of the universe

I don't have to know in order to make that argument. It does not presuppose that about the universe, it demonstrates the fact that your so-called answer tries to explain everything.

You're basically making the same mistake you made when you were confusing logical possibilities with physical possibilities. I don't know that it is physically possible for the universe to be any other way but it is logically possible. Try not to keep confusing these two issues.
Lololol, To say that a thing exists necessarily is to say that there is no logical possibility that such a thing would be other than it is i.e. if such a thing were any different, it would be logically incoherent.
It is either you know or you don't know. You can't make this argument you are trying to make by claiming ignorance.

This makes no sense. Even if your God created the universe, it doesn't mean he also created the moon otherwise, one can also say he created a gun.
Lol, let's see: so God creates a universe and sets certain physical laws in place such that space time and matter can form and behave in a certain specific way. The moon is one of such matter and behaves according to the physical laws set by God. The creation of a gun involved another mind entirely called man. So if you know of another mind other than God that specifically created the moon, feel free to bring such a mind forward.

By the way, don't forget to respond to this post

1 Like

Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Kay17: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2013
@anony

The nature of an entity determines its function

Hence a complex entity performs a complex function/action.

The mind's intricate nature, which makes it difficult to even understand and describe
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by UyiIredia(m): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2013
thehomer:
Did I say it was?

Did I say you said it was ?

[quote author=thehomer]In that case, the reason my rejection of the definition is pretty clear. I didn't say time was an object. What I meant was something being temporally preceded by another in time.

Neither did I say you said time is an object, your definition of time mase it an object. I think your definition is flawed. First 'temporally preceded' is a tautology, both refer to time. Second events which precede

If someone said that, please show this otherwise be silent on it.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by UyiIredia(m): 8:57pm On Jun 05, 2013
thehomer:
Did I say it was?

thehomer: In that case, the reason my rejection of the definition is pretty clear. I didn't say time was an object. What I meant was something being temporally preceded by another in time.

Neither did I say you said time is an object, your definition of time makes it an object. I think your definition is flawed. First 'temporally preceded' is a tautology, both refer to time. Second, an event can be preceded by one which isn't the cause e.g. thunder before rain, having $ex before dying.

thehomer: If someone said that, please show this otherwise be silent on it.

Just Google 'massive evidence for evolution'. But of course, you would be too lazy to do that.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by UyiIredia(m): 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2013
thehomer:

If you could be wrong, why didn't you take the time to find out whether or not you were wrong before speaking? You're now asking me to demonstrate your own point to you? This is ridiculous. If you cannot, simply say so.

What makes you think I didn't do that ? I answered your question so what's to be demonstrated is not my point but a possible refutation. Now quit being a lazy bum.

thehomer: This is why I say you don't know how to have a reasonable conversation. The unintelligent laziness demonstrated by this response clearly shows your poor reasoning skills. If you usually go around comparing taste by eating the Eiffel Tower, then the problems you face are deep indeed.

This is the mental sloppiness expected from someone who intellectually ma$turbäte$ by evading simple, articulated points. Read the article on taste. Licking will suffice, though it could be eaten.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:32pm On Jun 05, 2013
This is why I love religion section without Logicboy and OOman of course....

Arguments without insults...

Deepsight,thehomer,Kay,Anonny,Uyi una well done

1 Like

Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Image123(m): 10:00pm On Jun 05, 2013
Ahhhhhh this is where the intellectuals aree.

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

1 Like

Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
Image123: Ahhhhhh this is where the intellectuals aree.

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Image123 don't you think its inappropriate to quote the bible when arguing with someone that doesn't believe in the bible.

Even Deepsight is not a christian.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 10:55pm On Jun 05, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Image123 don't you think its inappropriate to quote the bible when arguing with someone that doesn't believe in the bible.

No it is not
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 11:40pm On Jun 05, 2013
Mr anony:
You made it when you argued "if the universe turned out any other way". Well, it doesn't matter now as you have said "you don't know?"

It does because you're still making the same mistake that has been corrected.

Mr anony:
Lolol, you have not said whether you agree or not, well, no matter instead of beating about the bush, let me address your question of chaos:
The problem is that you have not used chaos in the sense that I was using it i.e. I argued that the universe follows a set of specific physical laws such that we can accurately predict what should happen next given the initial conditions. Chaos in the sense I meant would be a situation where the universe will not function according to any laws such that we can predict what will happen next.

Is that something physically possible?

Mr anony:
The article you linked didn't provide such a situation. In fact it agrees that if we knew the precise initial conditions that lead to an action, we would be able to predict that action accurately however where we can't precisely measure the initial conditions leading to the action, we would miss it by a very wide mark. Your double pendulum example for instance follows the physical laws of the universe to the letter and hence is not chaotic in that sense. If we could freeze each moment and measure precisely the exact energy and force at that moment, we would accurately predict exactly where the pendulum will swing next. The only reason it looks random is because we cannot adequately measure it's movement.
You have failed to present any example of chaos that violates physical laws of the universe

Is it possible for anything in the universe to violate the physical laws of the universe?

Mr anony:
Lololol, To say that a thing exists necessarily is to say that there is no logical possibility that such a thing would be other than it is i.e. if such a thing were any different, it would be logically incoherent.
It is either you know or you don't know. You can't make this argument you are trying to make by claiming ignorance.

It looks like you're still confused about the difference between logical possibilities and physical possibilities. I don't have to know whether or not something is physically possible in order to make a conditional statement about a logical possibility.

Mr anony:
Lol, let's see: so God creates a universe and sets certain physical laws in place such that space time and matter can form and behave in a certain specific way. The moon is one of such matter and behaves according to the physical laws set by God. The creation of a gun involved another mind entirely called man. So if you know of another mind other than God that specifically created the moon, feel free to bring such a mind forward.

Based on what you've just said, God didn't create the moon while some man created a gun. The moon came about maybe while God was asleep.

Mr anony:
By the way, don't forget to respond to this post

I'll do that next.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 11:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
Mr anony:
I think I can almost get what you are saying but seeing as you have the remarkable ability of being deliberately vague, I'll push you to clarify further. As per the bold. Must you know precisely what the end to be achieved is in order to know if it is a design or not?

I have already answered the same question here (fourth paragraph).

Push all you want. No you don't have to know precisely what the end is but that isn't all I said about it.

But, based on what you said, the sun is designed even the electron is designed and once again, in your attempt to explain it all, you've explained nothing.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 11:45pm On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Neither did I say you said time is an object, your definition of time makes it an object. I think your definition is flawed. First 'temporally preceded' is a tautology, both refer to time. Second, an event can be preceded by one which isn't the cause e.g. thunder before rain, having $ex before dying.

Just Google 'massive evidence for evolution'. But of course, you would be too lazy to do that.

This is why trying to have a discussion with you is just a waste of time. You often find it difficult or are just too dumb to back up your own claims.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by thehomer: 11:48pm On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What makes you think I didn't do that ? I answered your question so what's to be demonstrated is not my point but a possible refutation. Now quit being a lazy bum.

This is the mental sloppiness expected from someone who intellectually ma$turbäte$ by evading simple, articulated points. Read the article on taste. Licking will suffice, though it could be eaten.

This has to be one of the most asinine things I've come across on this forum. You declare that I've committed a logical fallacy, I ask you to demonstrate it and you just go bonkers. You then hop on to making the sorts of comparisons that even children will notice as being a demonstration of either idiocy or insanity.

I'm done with you. Your petulant cry for attention has been noted.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Image123(m): 11:54pm On Jun 05, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

If the Bible can be quoted or referred to to discredit God and godliness, its forever appropriate to quote the Bible to speak for God and godliness.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 06, 2013
Since emotions do not interact with the universe in a detectable manner, i therefore declare it non-existent.
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 5:02am On Jun 06, 2013
thehomer:
It does because you're still making the same mistake that has been corrected.
Lol, "corrected" indeed. Anyway, no need beating this dead horse

Is that something physically possible?
How exactly this question relates to my comment, I know not.

Is it possible for anything in the universe to violate the physical laws of the universe?
That is what you'll have to show in order to demonstrate chaos. You wouldn't have to show this if the physical laws exist necessarily. But if the physical laws do not exist necessarily, then it is logically possible but since we don't observe chaos, we can comfortably say that the universe follows a design.

It looks like you're still confused about the difference between logical possibilities and physical possibilities. I don't have to know whether or not something is physically possible in order to make a conditional statement about a logical possibility.
Seriously this is just you being dishonest. You know full well that to say that a thing exists necessarily is to say that it is not logically possible for such a thing to exist otherwise. In fact you employ this when questioning God's necessary attributes.
Now you have been caught like a fly in a web you have suddenly developed amnesia of what it means to be necessary and started "correcting" me into what you know full well is wrong. Don't be a coward now. You can't make an argument if you won't stick your neck out. You can't fire arrows while hiding behind a claim of ignorance

Based on what you've just said, God didn't create the moon while some man created a gun. The moon came about maybe while God was asleep.
Lol, I know what I said. Misrepresenting it like this doesn't help you
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Nobody: 5:12am On Jun 06, 2013
Re: An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. by Mranony: 5:38am On Jun 06, 2013
thehomer:

Generally, how we tell the difference is that works of intelligent agents are tools that are used to achieve a certain end while works of unintelligent agents don't have such ends. And these tools are often assembled in a way that is unlikely to occur by chance.

Now can you answer your own questions?
thehomer:

Push all you want. No you don't have to know precisely what the end is but that isn't all I said about it.
Good. So according to you we can tell that something is the work of an intelligent agent when

1. the thing is assembled in such a way that is very unlikely to occur by chance
2. this assembly works in such a way that it achieves a certain end
3. we don't have to know what the particular end is all we need to see is that it is functioning according to a specific pattern.

For instance a computer program is designed because
1. it is assembled in such a way that is unlikely to occur by chance
2. it works in such a way that it achieves a certain end
3. We don't have to know the particular end all we need to see is that it is functioning according to a specific pattern

Compare with

1. The DNA code is assembled in such a way that is unlikely to occur by chance
2. it works in such a way that it achieves a certain end
3. We don't have to know the particular end all we need to see is that it is functioning according to a specific pattern

According to your criteria, the DNA code is designed. Wouldn't you agree?

But, based on what you said, the sun is designed even the electron is designed and once again, in your attempt to explain it all, you've explained nothing.
I have argued something specific which is that the universe is designed because it's constituent parts all work according to a set of specific instructions such that we can accurately predict exactly how it ought to function
In much the same way that I can say that a car was designed because it's constituent parts all work according to a set of specific instructions such that we can accurately predict and analyze how it ought to function.

All you have done here is ignore the reason why I inferred design (in bold) and thrown in silly questions like "who created the trafficator bulb filament?" "who created the car door handle?" You are reducing the design to it's components and trying to say if the components don't meet the requirements of the whole then the whole fails. What you have committed is the fallacy of composition.
If you are not interested in seriously tackling my argument then please say so.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is The Purpose Of The Messiah? / Rccg And Mfm: What Are Their Beliefs / Dresscode? / Chakra Opening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.