Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Why Are The Chinks In Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are The Chinks In Africa? (2647 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by OrumbaS89(f): 4:31am On May 02, 2008
Sorry for the racist title, but it had to be said.

What do think about China's interest in Africa, particularly Nigeria?

I just read that China has awarded Naija with a 2.5 billion soft loan and has giving Angola 9 bn "with no strings attached". angry

Na wa. With China's support of the Sudanese regime because of their hands in oil, I do not trust them. I don't trust anyone who will wave big money likes its a steak just to exploit its recipient.

I hope my Nigerian umunne will not repeat its mistake with the oyibo and let these people come colonize our country or anyone else's in our continent.

To naysayers, why would we let a country with a horrible track record to "befriend" us? Zebras don't change their stripes overnight. Look at what China has done to Tibet. Why do you think they will treat us any differently given time?

China and Africa's fiscal alliance smells as bad as old egg fun yun to me. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 7:23am On May 02, 2008
OK,  I have to say,when I saw the title, I had no idea that Chink implies Chinese. LMAO!!! I believe it is just a move that is not new. This is the age of the Chinese and indians in Africa. The West have had their turn and now it is China's turn to get it's own share of Africa. Come back 100 years from now and we will have people who talk about China as they do now the west, trying to put all the blame on china for seeing an opportunity in Africa to mine all they can, for their own people.

Those who sign these deals with china are quite informed of China's believed support of darfur and still felt to go ahead and make this deal and more. We live in a global community and we can not avoid interacting in one way or another with the rest of the world. It has been to our own detriment actually that we have continued to paint black our past relationships with the west instead of taking advantage of these unions to the best we could have. China did exactly that( took advantage of it's relationship with the west, to it's own good) and BOOM!!! it is one of the leading economies we have today. Note that China did not achieve this by isolating itself from the west and NAMING them as enemies but focusing on what it could get from the relationship it had. We can do so with both the west and china and even india now but are we ready or are we still stuck in our tiny world's built on mostly our delusions?? Time will tell.

I am not really for china coming into africa cause I think with their population alone and their history so far in Africa with darfur, china is going to keep to the same strong hand approach but the deed has been done and china is already in. I believe that once we are able to get good leaders in office, then we will be better able to not only gain from the relationship the best way possible but also gain control over them as well.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by SkyBlue1: 7:40am On May 02, 2008
it is really depressing when people (even africans) speak of africa as if it is a place that is good for nothing but to be exploited. When is africa going to wake up and use its resources to develop itself, when is Nigeria going to do this? We supply some electricity to ghana and ghana has stable power supply but we don't, we are the biggest exporter of crude oil in africa and yet we have fuel crisis, does any of this make sense? Talk about a continent that seems to be suffering from severe low self esteem and its leaders that suffer from down right stupidity.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 8:01am On May 02, 2008
not to be rude but its happening all over AFRICA  the chinese are not only in Nigeria. there in CHAD, Sudan, ZAMBW, Kenya, ghana, Angol ect,    Who do you think has helped supply the guns for the wars THE china-man grin,,   I have a friend from Camroon. who grew up in beijing n speaks chinese,    there in AFRICA 4 the Oil, power and the money 419's and Oil Bum's are sitting on. india is no longer the big man,  they made there monies from the west n gave there ASS to Kiss. In july I'm going to Lagos to look for a area to start building on a Wali mart , MAchine shops ect can't really talk about it,   from the post on here I'm afriad to go,
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:08am On May 02, 2008
GinikAwa:

not to be rude but its happening all over AFRICA the chinese are not only in Nigeria. there in CHAD, Sudan, ZAMBW, Kenya, ghana, Angol ect, Who do you think has helped supply the guns for the wars THE china-man grin,, I have a friend from Camroon. who grew up in beijing n speaks chinese, there in 4 AFRICA the Oil, power and the money 419's and Oil Bum's are sitting on, india is no longer the big man, they made there monies from the west n gave there ASS to Kiss. In july I'm going to Lagos to look for a area to start building on a Wali mart , MAchine shops ect can't really talk about it, from the post on here I'm afriad to go,

We all moved to the west to exploit an opportunity we did not have back in Africa. If you go down to Wall Street, that place is full of Africans and Indians. This is the chinese moving over to africa to take advantage of what they see we have to offer them and as much as I hate it, I can not fault them for doing such cause we have so far failed to use the gold we have had for decades to our own good. I hate what is happening in Darfur but I don't believe we should put all the blame on china either cause we have to look at the mu-slims who continue to condone what is happening there as well and they live among us and we do not object to them at all.

I think it is easy to hate them but at the same time, we should look at all we could gain from this right now and focus more on trying to get the upper hand in the relationship.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 8:17am On May 02, 2008
its funny you talk about wall st,  if you go down to wall or midtown,  you don't see many AFRICANs,  sorry to say I live in the heart of NYC,   Did you see where the united nations asked china to stop suppling war country's in Africa with guns. their reply was we shall supply guns to who ever has the money.  Do you see what their doing to the poorest country in Africa building railroads in return to dig 4 OiL. these people need food n other ways to create some type of stability,    you pin pointed alot in your post.  I agree wit u on .  I just say its time African Youth take control  there  the future. no more standing back n watching from the side line talking about what u have while ur people live like nomads,   ahh  sad later,
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:26am On May 02, 2008
GinikAwa:

its funny you talk about wall st, if you go down to wall or midtown, you don't see many AFRICANs, sorry to say I live in the heart of NYC, Did you see where the You.nations asked china to stop supply war country's in Africa with gun. there reply was we shall supply who ever has the money, Do you see what they are doing to the poorest country in Africa build a railroad those people need food not railways, come on buddy, your pin point alot in your post. I agree wit u . I just say its time African Youth take control. there the future no more standing back n watch from the side line, ahh your getting me started sad later,

When I say Wall Street, I am not talking of walking down that road. I am speaking of actually checking out many of the financial firms in that area. There are Africans all over the place. I just went over there on monday and was shocked to find mostly Africans and indians in many of the financial firms there.

But, it is not China's decision to make when it comes to what the people need. All they can do is come in to build trains cause the government of the land wants them to do that and to be honest, I believe we need a very good rail system in Africa to help transport goods from country to country. About the Arms, it is the government that ordered those guns, not China. China only supplied what the government asked for. I know it is easy to demonize the message ( deliverer in this case) but the problem in those cases is not really china but our own governments who make these decisions believing that railway systems or arms will benefit their people at that time. I think we need to start placing all the responsibility on our own governments and not on foreign governments who are greatly limited by what our own governments decide. They put proposals on the table but the decisions are made by our own governments.

The youth can come in but considering that they are also in a large number involved in most of the ills in africa today. Only God knows which group we need the most but I am more for people living in democratic countries speaking out and demanding their rights be respected by their own governments.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 8:48am On May 02, 2008
I dont want 2 get off topic of who's on Wall street. just to let you know W.s really exist in midtown, can I when was the last time you sat down and talked wit African youth ages btwn 21- 33, we have a diff view, most sit back b/c there afraid, they feel its a disrespect to the fam, culture and country, taking bath natu natu.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Nobody: 8:49am On May 02, 2008
Kobojunkie:

We all moved to the west to exploit an opportunity we did not have back in Africa. If you go down to Wall Street, that place is full of Africans and Indians. This is the chinese moving over to africa to take advantage of what they see we have to offer them and as much as I hate it, I can not fault them for doing such cause we have so far failed to use the gold we have had for decades to our own good. I hate what is happening in Darfur but I don't believe we should put all the blame on china either cause we have to look at the mu-slims who continue to condone what is happening there as well and they live among us and we do not object to them at all.

I think it is easy to hate them but at the same time, we should look at all we could gain from this right now and focus more on trying to get the upper hand in the relationship.

I'm trying to figure exactly what you're getting at. . .probably just another attempt to push your I'slam loathing ideology tongue tongue tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darfur_conflict

lets see what wikiepedia has to say about the origins of the conflict -

The War in Darfur (called the Darfur Genocide by the United States Government[1]) is a military conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan. Unlike the Second Sudanese Civil War, the current lines of conflict are seen to be ethnic and tribal, rather than religious.[2] One side of the armed conflict is composed mainly of the Sudanese military and the supporter of APC, a militia group recruited mostly from the Arab Baggara tribes of the northern Rizeigat, camel-herding nomads. The other side comprises a variety of rebel groups, notably the Sudan Liberation Movement and the Justice and Equality Movement, recruited primarily from the land-tilling non-Arab Fur, Zaghawa, and Massaleit ethnic groups. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the supporter of APC, has provided money and assistance to the militia and has participated in joint attacks targeting the tribes from which the rebels draw support.[3] The conflict began in February of 2003.

of course coming from you. . .what else should i expect?  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:59am On May 02, 2008
GinikAwa:

I don't want 2 get off topic of who's on Wall street. just to let you know W.s really exist in midtown, can I when was the last time you sat down and talked wit African youth ages btwn 21- 33, we have a diff view, most sit back b/c there afraid, they feel its a disrespect to the fam, culture and country, taking bath natu natu.

I know where wall street is and like I said, I was just there last on monday to see people at different companies in wall street. I say you check out at least 1 State street to see for yourself that there are a lot of Africans and indians in that one building alone. Then check out other buildings around the same area to see what I am speaking of. Speaking to African youths is one thing but actually getting them to do the right thing all the time is another. Many of the same youths are today involved in 419 deals both in Nigeria and outside of Nigeria. They may be ready but like those before them, they are able to decide to do wrong as well. I remember back when it was my own generations turn. We were willing (by tongue) to do what it took to build the nation, but so many years later, I can tell you many of my mates ended up in the fraud department, even those I did not expect, tried that route. Many of these goons in office also have some youths working on their side and willing to do anything for a good pay day. I am not in anyway saying that all african youths are hopeless. What I am saying is that I do not believe we should look to the youths for solutions anymore but to ourselves as well. Ever since I was a kid, we have been fed the same rhetoric that we are the leaders of tommorow, it is so many decades later and I am supposed to tell others to do what we have yet to do for ourselves Nah!! I think it is up to every single person in that continent to strive for change at all cost.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 9:51am On May 02, 2008
when i speak of Africa I'm not only talking about Ng, lol still bathing .so you speak 4 ng's youth, when i speak of Africans - i mean Americans, Caribbeans n others threw out world it begans in Africa,
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by lucabrasi(m): 2:07pm On May 02, 2008
someone has to provide the goods and services they are providing,i have people who are in business with them and they are very hard workers and no matter how rich they ll get stuck in and do the dirtiest jobs,and though they r gaining a lot from the oil but at least they are showing something for it by the change they have brought to nigeria and the society , same cannot be said of other foreigners in nigeria who only rape the resources and the economy
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by BigB11(m): 2:51pm On May 02, 2008
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On May 02, 2008
Wonders shall never end. We used to manufacture more than we imported. We had more jobs and actual Nigerians in many sectors We farmed more food than we needed and even exported to other countries until WE started to mismanage and allowed ourselves to get carried away with GETTING RICH QUICK. And the West is to BLAME FOR THIS?? Now we have the Chinese coming in to do our job for us since we have so far proven to them in some way that we are incompetent. The Chinese now supply over half of the food we consume in that country and basically supply us with most all we used to be able to make on our own and the WEST IS TO BLAME FOR THIS but somehow THE CHINESE ARE ANGELS?? WOW!!! I pity Africa cause if this trend continues, we are done for.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by bawomolo(m): 4:27pm On May 02, 2008
GiniAkwa if that's u in your profile picture, i'm feeling it, literally grin.

as per the thread. i don't see the big deal, most of these chinese people would assimilate and eventually part of their respective host countries. xenophobia is what lead uganda to expel indians, and Zimbabweans to expel white farmers. africans shouldn't make the same mistakes again. we won't be having this conversation if nigeria had trade and labor laws. but as usual, the NLC wastes its time arguing about fuel prices.

same cannot be said of other foreigners in nigeria who only rape the resources and the economy

foreigners aren't to blame, poor domestic policies are to blame. if u leave your house door unlocked and wide open, who bears most of the blame when ur house is vandalized
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by bawomolo(m): 4:29pm On May 02, 2008
GinikAwa:

when i speak of Africa I'm not only talking about Ng, lol still bathing .so you speak 4 ng's youth, when i speak of Africans - i mean Americans, Caribbeans n others threw out world it begans in Africa,

question though, since when did caribbean and american people become africans??
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by naijaway(m): 10:59pm On May 02, 2008
question though, since when did caribbean and american people become africans??

since many of them left AFRICA which happened due to the fragile leadership at the time.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by redsun(m): 11:57pm On May 02, 2008
Another scramble for africa,just like destitutes,it is the turn of the chinese now,i hope we don't become another tibet,chinese are mean.

Why can't blackman arise?
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by bawomolo(m): 3:33am On May 03, 2008
since many of them left AFRICA which happened due to the fragile leadership at the time

whites originated from africa too, are they africans people need to stop being politically correct
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 5:55am On May 03, 2008
LAUGH OUT LOUD Based on genes my dear , What gene does every african share, cheesy did the post not say WHY R CHINKS IN [color=#770077][/color] AFRICA, Y is most of blog around nigeria ? o sorry b/c this is a nigerian message board, new post Y r chinks in NIGERIA ?
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by bigbumper(f): 3:01pm On May 03, 2008
redsun:

Another scramble for africa,just like destitutes,it is the turn of the chinese now,i hope we don't become another tibet,chinese are mean.

Why can't blackman arise?

There is this book I am trying to get my hands on about Chinese people and their gradual proliferation in Africa. This was likened to colonialism all over again.

Who will save us this time from their grip once they get a firm stronghold, as the rest of the western world relies on their economy for their cheap labour, et al.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by oldie(m): 5:28pm On May 03, 2008
@ poster:

I think China in Africa is a good thing, that Africa has alternative
The western world is complaining about the Chinese influence because they see a decline in their once monopoly on African countries

Africans can only benefit from more trade and exchange with anyone that is willing to be business partners, not to colonise and tell us how stupid we are as a people.

The west had their chance for the past 150 years and what had that led us?
The competition from China is good for our economy and business
It is left for us to choose the good from the bad
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by zillaxy: 8:19pm On May 03, 2008
racism is never justified.

by the way in naij we say chinco not chinks!

they are here to milk us like the oyimbos before them.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 03, 2008
they are here for obvious reasons.concur with zillaxy
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by GinikAwa(f): 7:10pm On May 05, 2008
OiL Money Baby,
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by away4real(m): 7:52pm On May 05, 2008
@ kobo

When I say Wall Street, I am not talking of walking down that road. I am speaking of actually checking out many of the financial firms in that area. There are Africans all over the place. I just went over there on monday and was shocked to find mostly Africans and indians in many of the financial firms there.

@ kobo may i ask you a question, doing particularly what in those financial firms. I dont intend to deviate this debate but i am amazed when people dont understand deeply how systems work, looking at things on the face of it. I agree there are loads of Africans in Investment Banks, but how many work in front office roles and earn the big bonuses.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On May 05, 2008
away4real:

@ kobo

@ kobo may i ask you a question, doing particularly what in those financial firms. I don't intend to deviate this debate but i am amazed when people don't understand deeply how systems work, looking at things on the face of it. I agree there are loads of Africans in Investment Banks, but [b]how many work in front office roles and earn the big bonuses.[/b]

hhhhmmm, You do not even have to work on wallstreet to earn big bonuses. Even WeightWatchers offers bonuses and I am talking 10% up. I work in IT and yes, IT people do get offered bonuses as well. You do not have to work in the front offices to earn bonuses on wallstreet. All the people who manage the records and financial transacting on the backend also have potential of earning bonuses. I really believe we should look INSIDE of these companies instead of looking at them from the outside to understand how things work.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by away4real(m): 8:18pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

hhhhmmm, You do not even have to work on wallstreet to earn big bonuses. Even WeightWatchers offers bonuses and I am talking 10% up. I work in IT and yes, IT people do get offered bonuses as well. You do not have to work in the front offices to earn bonuses on wallstreet. All the people who manage the records and financial transacting on the backend also have potential of earning bonuses. I really believe we should look INSIDE of these companies instead of looking at them from the outside to understand how things work.

Agreed you don't have to work in wall street, i was only considering the sub-set u chose i.e financial institutions in Wall Street.

And to the second statement in bold, thats erroneous, middle office & back office (thats what its called) CANNOT. DOESNOT, WILL NOT have the potential to earn such bonuses.

When you mean looking inside and not outside, please i don't understand. Be kind to expand.

My point is that lets not be deceived, seeing Dark skinned folks on wall street is irrelevant compared to their earnings, you will be shocked at the disparity.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:25pm On May 05, 2008
away4real:

Agreed you don't have to work in wall street, i was only considering the sub-set u chose i.e financial institutions in Wall Street.

And to the second statement in bold, thats erroneous, middle office & back office (thats what its called) CANNOT. DOESNOT, WILL NOT have the potential to earn such bonuses.

When you mean looking inside and not outside, please i don't understand. Be kind to expand.

My point is that lets not be deceived, seeing Dark skinned folks on wall street is irrelevant compared to their earnings, you will be shocked at the disparity.

Ok, if you are trying to make this about race then I say we call this quits right here. I was just at State street to see people who I know are 1) Dark Skinned and earn about 15 % in bonuses. I even am considering that end myself with a similar offer. If you are trying to spread propaganda, I am sorry, you are speaking to the wrong person cause I have experienced quite the opposite in my line of business and continue to do so.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by away4real(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2008
How simple it is to introduce race into a discussion. 15% bonus and you call that attractive, thats a joke, please look before u leep.

My point is on earnings disparity, race could be a cause but not solely. I was correcting the implied notion that all is well on Wall Street for Africans.

There are Journals out there (please go into JSTOR) that have analysed the earnings disparity and what should be done to address them, enjoy yourself earning 15% bonus.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by Kobojunkie: 8:34pm On May 05, 2008
15% on your first year of employment is not attractive?? WOW!!! considering that his white counterparts who happen to have been hired about the same time as he was, make less cause they were not considered as good, one would think that alone should be the joy. By the way, do you work on wallstreets If yes, what company?? and how much does the average employee in your department earn in that company. I want to know so I can call up the company for you and help you get more if you are not willing to stand up and ask for it yourself. Instead of you wasting our times with this race crap, give me your info so I can help you gain. I might be the salvation you need today.
Re: Why Are The Chinks In Africa? by away4real(m): 8:47pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

15% on your first year of employment is not attractive?? WOW!!! considering that his white counterparts who happen to have been hired about the same time as he was, make less cause they were not considered as good, one would think that alone should be the joy. By the way, do you work on wallstreets If yes, what company?? and how much does the average employee in your department earn in that company. I want to know so I can call up the company for you and help you get more if you are not willing to stand up and ask for it yourself. Instead of you wasting our times with this race crap, give me your info so I can help you gain. I might be the salvation you need today.

Well well well, my salvation really, your first year of employment, ok i understand where your views emanate from now. When its time to become an Executive Director in an investment bank please lets have this discussion.

Am involved (in addition to my career) with an NGO that one of its main aim is to help ethnic minorities get into front office roles and negotiate for better working terms and equal opportunities for minorities in investment banks. Not only blacks but ethnic minorities, i live in a real and positive world, i observed a problem which i experienced when it was time to take on managerial roles and i did something about it, and helping younger ones.

I might do with your help still, enjoy the early days of your career  when it's time to take on serious roles (managerial responsibilities) in those institutions lets have this discussion.

Just incase u want to know a trader in his first year of employments could get up to 100% as bonus (this yr is titled due to the credit crunch), do your research.

Geez, how did this discussion deviate so much,  cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Spills Paralyse Economic, Aquatic Life In Delta State / Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences / Federal Govt Employs 12,000 Youth To Protect Oil And Gas Pipelines In N.delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.