Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria (12512 Views)

Dear Buhari, I Want To See My 5k Alert On Or Before 30th July Or Else-Mogidi / Travel Alert For Nigeria Citizens. / Us Issues Travelling Warning To Citizens Coming To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Stallion77(f): 7:57am On Jun 06, 2013
The United States has issued fresh travel alert on Nigeria, warning its citizens not to travel to North and nine other states in South.

The US predicated the alert on the emergency rule in Yobe, Adamawa and Borno states, saying extremists could expand their operations beyond the three states to other parts of the country.

“The ability of the mission to provide assistance to US citizens in those states remains severely limited,” the US government stated in an updated alert on Monday.

President Goodluck Jonathan on May 14, declared emergency rule in the three states to restore order following the violence orchestrated by members of Boko Haram.

The travel warning came just as the US State Department placed $7m bounty on the leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau.

It warned that the latest alert superseded earlier one saying, “It replaces the travel warning for Nigeria dated December 21, 2012.’’

The advice read, “The Department of State warns US citizens of the risks of travel to Nigeria and recommends that they avoid all travel to Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states because of the proclamation on May 14, 2013, by the government of Nigeria.

“Based on safety and security risk assessments, the Embassy maintains restrictions for travel by US officials to all northern Nigerian states (in addition to those listed above); officials must receive advance clearance by the US Mission for any travel deemed as mission-essential. US citizens should be aware that extremists could expand their operations beyond northern Nigeria to the country’s middle and southern states.”

The alert listed other states as Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara citing kidnappings, robberies, and other armed attacks for the travel alert.

Meanwhile, the US has picked holes in Nigeria’s war against terrorism.

It said Nigeria was not doing enough to end the threat posed by Boko Haram.

The US faulted Nigeria’s legislation, and law enforcement, adding that the Jonathan administration was not keeping a close watch on non-profit organisations in the country to prevent terrorism financing.

The US described Nigeria’s main anti-terrorism law, Prevention of Terrorism Law of 2011, which prohibits acts of terrorism and related offences; terrorism funding and makes provision for the Investigation and prosecution of terrorists as “weak”.

This was contained in the 2012 Country Reports on Terrorism released by the US Department of State Counterterrorism Bureau, a copy of which was sighted by our correspondent on Wednesday.

It read in part, “The Nigerian government’s efforts to address grievances among Northern populations, which include high unemployment and a dearth of basic services, continued to fail, as did the security forces’ efforts to contain Boko Haram.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/us-issues-fresh-travel-alert-on-nigeria/
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by DuduNegro: 8:24am On Jun 06, 2013
Im surprised Anambala and Bayelsa is not on list.

Those listed states are on the target for next round of State of Emergency.
Gaddem terrorists. angry

2 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 06, 2013
Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara

Surely the USA Government has gone madt like always..

3 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 06, 2013
fact be straight men; i wouldn't even go to bornu,bauchi and likes for anything.But for fk's sake, what d fk is Imo,abia akwaibom edo and other peaceful states doing on that list?
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 06, 2013
Smh for my country. I constantly wonder if the north is a blessing or a curse to Nigeria. Methinks the later is a better answer.
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 9:08am On Jun 06, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Im surprised Anambala and Bayelsa is not on list.
angry
What for?. But Anambra is safe
but all the Northern states are now a terrorist enclave angry angry
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by flawless911(m): 9:09am On Jun 06, 2013
OmG!!! WTF is my beloved IMO doing on that list.
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Ebenezerk2: 9:10am On Jun 06, 2013
look very well, Balyesa is there

Gaddem terrorists. angry
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by apoti(m): 9:10am On Jun 06, 2013
Basically Southwest is the safest region in the country

7 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by azpekuliar: 9:11am On Jun 06, 2013
Lilimax:
What for?. The two states Anambra and Bayelsa are safe
but all the Northern states are now a terrorist enclave angry angry

How safe? I'm even surprised the entire South-Eastern states are not on that list. Kidnapping is a valid act of terrorism!

8 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Jhulyan(m): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2013
Akwa ibom on that list is a joke

5 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by papaejima1: 9:12am On Jun 06, 2013
Who is the confused bufoon that wrote this?

Seems there is more than meets the eye in this stupid report. Is Abia, Edo and Akwa Ibom more dangerous than New York City?

7 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2013
It makes sense.

Who wants to be kidnapped by Boko Haram? America doesn't pay ransoms like dem other oyibo countries, so it's better their citizens just stay away.
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Jhulyan(m): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2013
Akwa ibom on that list is a joke...Obama akwa ibom ado ok oooooo

1 Like

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Reachyrich(f): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2013
May God reign this naija 4 us o.
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by venorite(m): 9:13am On Jun 06, 2013
They mentioned almost all the whole state na,na which state person to come visit
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by ericgold(m): 9:13am On Jun 06, 2013
brosss: fact be straight men; i wouldn't even go to bornu,bauchi and likes for anything. for fk's sake, what d fk is Imo,abia akwaibom edo and other peaceful states doing on that list?
me I tire for them ohhhh,they should not believe everytin dy see on. The interne,make obama kum see for himself before. E go dy yan upata for YORK. Mtchewwww.......
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 06, 2013

Gaddem terrorists. angry

Bayelsa is there!

1 Like

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by thirdeye(m): 9:14am On Jun 06, 2013
I think cases of kidnappings made them to list relatively peaceful states.

1 Like

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 06, 2013
Since Anambra is safe, why not make Awka Nigeria's capital undecided
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:15am On Jun 06, 2013
brosss: fact be straight men; i wouldn't even go to bornu,bauchi and likes for anything. for fk's sake, what d fk is Imo,abia akwaibom edo and other peaceful states doing on that list?
kidnapping and cannibalism

6 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Evablazze(m): 9:15am On Jun 06, 2013
Imo state is always a safe haven..
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 06, 2013
apoti: Basically Southwest is the safest region in the country
i concur

2 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by buoye1(m): 9:16am On Jun 06, 2013
:;
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:16am On Jun 06, 2013
brosss: fact be straight men; i wouldn't even go to bornu,bauchi and likes for anything.But for fk's sake, what d fk is Imo,abia akwaibom edo and other peaceful states doing on that list?

Drinking corpse water.

2 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:16am On Jun 06, 2013
why is JIGAWA on that list? since when has anything wrong happened there? angry
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 9:17am On Jun 06, 2013
azpekuliar:

How safe? I'm even surprised the entire South-Eastern states are not on that list. Kidnapping is a valid act of
terrorism!
The issue of kidnapping has been abated in Anambra i think undecided
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:18am On Jun 06, 2013
Igbos are the only people who support Jonathan.

Maybe the US thinks that it makes you dangerous. Like rabid dogs who can't see reason. grin

2 Likes

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by bigx(m): 9:18am On Jun 06, 2013
rubbish, they can take their Chevron, Mobil & the like away from those states if they are so concerned
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 9:20am On Jun 06, 2013
It seems they're also using past events to judge some states. Abia state is no longer the kidnapping enclave that it used to be. I wonder why Akwa-Ibom made the list. I think the fact that it's a Niger-delta state put it there by default.

1 Like

Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 06, 2013
apoti: Basically Southwest is the safest region in the country
kai sharap angry
Re: US Issues Travel Alert On Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 06, 2013
The alert listed other states as Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, and Zamfara citing kidnappings, robberies, and other armed attacks for the travel alert.

No single yoruba state ? Wow

This confirms the fact that the South west of Nigeria which include Lagos,Ondo,Oyo,Osun,Ekiti and Ogun states is the most peaceful region in Nigeria.

Glory be to Eledumare grin

cool cool cool

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23bn Diezani Bribe: 100 INEC Staff Face Suspension / INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Dapo Abiodun - Photos / Lagos Begins Rebuilding Igbosere Court House , Nigeria’s Oldest High Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.