Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Christian (1261 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Christian by elizabetta(f): 4:25pm On May 03, 2008
Please can anyone tell me what are the qualities of a good Christian and how a Christian should behave.please your comments will be appreciated
Re: A Christian by Cayon(f): 8:13pm On May 03, 2008
Read the book of Ruth, you may get some answers as Ruth was a woman of noble character wink
Re: A Christian by Frizy(m): 8:48pm On May 03, 2008
Read the Gospel of Barnabas, then you will be a good christian and believer.
Re: A Christian by Eclairs: 7:23am On May 04, 2008
CHRISTIAN

THIS MEANS CHRIST I AM NOTHING.

BEING A CHRISTIAN BASICALLY MEANS ALLOWING CHRIST TO TAKE CONTROL OF EVERYFIN IN YOUR LIFE (SUBSMITTING YOURLIFE TO CHRIST)

THTS AL I CAN SAY FOR NOW.
Re: A Christian by PastorAIO: 3:11pm On May 04, 2008
Well the bible makes some pretty amazing claims for what a christian can do and the necessary characteristics. They will be able to pick up poisonous snakes as well as speak in a variety of languages when in the spirit. They are supposed to exude an inner peace. Further more Jesus sets a standard when he says that greater things than these (that jesus did) they would do. Now I know that jesus did some pretty amazing things like walk on water and raise the dead.

To be quite honest with you all, when I properly consider the criteria I have to confess that I don't think that I've ever met a christian in my life. I met many claimants but these people seem to be especially marked out by their lack of peace. Furthermore there is nothing supernatural about them. There entire behaviour and characteristics is so typically human and can be explained psychologically. Apart from speaking in some extraterrestial tongues I haven't actually heard any christian spontaneously break out into Cantonese or Deutsch. Now, I am not an inflexible guy. I am even ready to reduce the bar to make it a bit more fair. I won't ask that they do more than Jesus did. We can put the walking on water, picking up snakes and raising dead people to one side and just look for people who have the peace of God. I still haven't met any.
Re: A Christian by 4Him1(m): 1:43am On May 05, 2008
Frizy:

Read the Gospel of Barnabas, then you will be a good christian and believer.

no, u'd be a confused mus'lim.
Re: A Christian by samba123(m): 7:44am On May 05, 2008
4 Him:

no, u'd be a confused mus'lim.

lol you might deviate from the topic christian embarassed
Re: A Christian by niya(m): 10:09am On May 05, 2008
A Christian is like christ in character and power. He is heavenly minded and brings the character and power of Christ to bear on his life and daily circumstances and that of those around him. He is also comitted to the body of Christ and daily fellowship with Him.
Re: A Christian by olabowale(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2008
@Pastor AIO: There is nothing called Christianity or christian, in substantive meaning. Its all a show. All talk and no backing. Its talking a good game. We know that when they say that Jesus raised the bar on them, telling them that they will even do bigger and greater things, we see that the reality is incongruent with that statement.

It is because Jesus could never have told them that they will be better than him. Just in the same way he did not tell them to satrt a new religion, which is a good reason he did not build a "Church." All that they put on Jesus are foreign and fallacies. There is no way that Jesus can instruct anyone to abandone God and concentrate on him. While he Jesus concentrated on God 100%! If they say Jesus prayed and the prayer was not answered, and he was killed, then you can imagine that they set themselves up as liars as they pray to Jesus or through Jesus and claiming all their prayers will be accepted , always 100%!

Finally, you see how they are dancing around the core of the topic; instead of responding to your post, they are shifting the goalpost, trying to give personal definition of what Christianity is. One of them is suggesting the haracteristics of Ruth. But Ruth is a Jew. She was not in Christian era. She was not in New Testament. Like Ester, Ruth is from the Jewish writing. Its like Psalm. Is Solomon from Christian era? No. You can never justify Christianity from anything prior to Jesus.

Dishonesty is very common among this people. In I/sla/m, we know no Mu/s/lim can be as good as Mu/ha/mmad. So you do not see any mu/s/lim trying to pray or make the things of worship more than him. Things are in measure. Davidylan thats for you to think about.
Re: A Christian by mnwankwo(m): 4:17pm On May 05, 2008
A christian is one who lives according to the WILL OF GOD or the LAWS OF GOD. Any person who loves God with all his heart and loves his neighbour as himself is a christian.

1 Like

Re: A Christian by Lady2(f): 6:25pm On May 05, 2008
[quote@Pastor AIO: There is nothing called Christianity or christian, in substantive meaning. Its all a show. All talk and no backing. Its talking a good game. We know that when they say that Jesus raised the bar on them, telling them that they will even do bigger and greater things, we see that the reality is incongruent with that statement.
]
[/quote]

Actually it is, check the Bible. No it's not a show and dear it has been proven many times. If you're looking for flashy cars and houses and all the money in the Bank then my dear you don't know about Christianity. If you're looking for something physical, then you don't know God.

It is because Jesus could never have told them that they will be better than him. Just in the same way he did not tell them to satrt a new religion, which is a good reason he did not build a "Church

Um sorry dear, but he did. A church isn't a building, sorry, but it isn't. It wasn't a new religion.

There is no way that Jesus can instruct anyone to abandone God and concentrate on him

I'm really trying to understand where you got that from. Who said Christ told anyone to abandon God and focuss on him. Dear he is God. Seek and you shall find.

If they say Jesus prayed and the prayer was not answered, and he was killed, then you can imagine that they set themselves up as liars as they pray to Jesus or through Jesus and claiming all their prayers will be accepted , always 100%!

A prayer is a petition, when you asked your mother for something did she always hand you everything or did she use her wisdom to prevent you from harm?
Or better yet does your god hand you everything you ask for?
If he doesn't does that mean that he doesn't hear?
God is all knowing and in his infinite wisdom he knows we usually ask for more than we can chew. So he doesn't give it to us because he knows it will harm us or that we ask him to do something against his will. For example, I can pray that God kill my teacher that threatened me in class, but he won't because it's wrong for me to ask for the death of a person, he won't help me do wrong.

Now ofcourse there are Christians who don't pray correctly or don't know how to properly ask God for something. A young unmarried girl, instead of asking God to do his will in her life and grant her the husband that he created and molded particularly for her, she cries to God and askS God to help her keep her man, because he is oh so fine and he's good at heart, even though he's not good in action, and she feels she loves him, even though she knows not what love is. She should ask God for the strength to deal with her lonliness until her perfectly created man arrives for her, she should ask God to help her not fall into the sin of the flesh in her lonliness. She should ask God to bless her when he feels she is ready not when she feels she's ready, meanwhile she's still in school and struggling to make ends meet, but wants to plan for a wedding.

[quoteFinally, you see how they are dancing around the core of the topic; instead of responding to your post, they are shifting the goalpost, trying to give personal definition of what Christianity is. One of them is suggesting the haracteristics of Ruth. But Ruth is a Jew. She was not in Christian era. She was not in New Testament. Like Ester, Ruth is from the Jewish writing. Its like Psalm. Is Solomon from Christian era? No. You can never justify Christianity from anything prior to Jesus.]

Then why are you guys using the Law of Moses, why don't you wipe them out and create your own? You can't justify Is'lam from a Jewish prophet. Infact when a new Prophet came he should have started anew, disregarding what the Lord had laid down. That means Is'lam should start anew and disregard all that was done with Christianity and Judaism.

My dear don't start giving me the story of how the Torah and the Bible are corrupt and the Qu'ran is the only truth. You still have to prove the Qu'ran to me. I want a different response than Muhaaamad said so or God said so, because it is not authenticated that God was the one speaking. The Qu'ran show inconsistencies with the rest of the Word of God. The only way it can hold any weight is if Muhaamad says that all that has been there since the beginning of time was a lie. Now that is very suspicious.
Like I said if I ask questions they will be deleted.

[quote]Dishonesty is very common among this people

According to who? Muhaaamad?
Re: A Christian by olabowale(m): 12:21am On May 06, 2008
@~Lady~:
Actually it is, check the Bible. No it's not a show and dear it has been proven many times. If you're looking for flashy cars and houses and all the money in the Bank then my dear you don't know about Christianity. If you're looking for something physical, then you don't know God.
I am not looking for either. But I am looking for that greater work that the later generations of mankind who called themselves "Christians," did, whereas Jesus did not do. Please tell me couples of them. If you can, considering the miracles that God performed through Jesus, then it is either that somebody has embellished as to the phrase "Greater work shall he do." Please name the greater works that they have done.

Um sorry dear, but he did. A church isn't a building, sorry, but it isn't. It wasn't a new religion.
Whats a church then? But when you go to church, say Sundays, you don't enter a Building? And Christianity was preJesus, you are saying?

I'm really trying to understand where you got that from. Who said Christ told anyone to abandon God and focuss on him. Dear he is God. Seek and you shall find.
Again, you claim that he is god. But the God Who creates never is subject to death. Only that is enough to dispute your statement. How can a God be praying to himself, stating the will of that prayed to God will be done rather than the will of the god that is praying? It is clear that the one praying is not the One he is praying to!

A prayer is a petition, when you asked your mother for something did she always hand you everything or did she use her wisdom to prevent you from harm?
Or better yet does your god hand you everything you ask for?
If he doesn't does that mean that he doesn't hear?
God is all knowing and in his infinite wisdom he knows we usually ask for more than we can chew. So he doesn't give it to us because he knows it will harm us or that we ask him to do something against his will. For example, I can pray that God kill my teacher that threatened me in class, but he won't because it's wrong for me to ask for the death of a person, he won't help me do wrong.

Now ofcourse there are Christians who don't pray correctly or don't know how to properly ask God for something. A young unmarried girl, instead of asking God to do his will in her life and grant her the husband that he created and molded particularly for her, she cries to God and askS God to help her keep her man, because he is oh so fine and he's good at heart, even though he's not good in action, and she feels she loves him, even though she knows not what love is. She should ask God for the strength to deal with her lonliness until her perfectly created man arrives for her, she should ask God to help her not fall into the sin of the flesh in her lonliness. She should ask God to bless her when he feels she is ready not when she feels she's ready, meanwhile she's still in school and struggling to make ends meet, but wants to plan for a wedding.
As I admire your level headedness, I take the position that Jesus prayer at the Garden of geshemane was not accepte by God. This is according to the Bible. Therefore the One Jesus petitioned is greater than Jesus. So in reality Jesus has a God who is his Lord. And that Lord God is different from him. That Lord God is greater than him. That lord God is the true Lord God.

So if Jesus can never force God to accept his prayer, as the example indicated, then no one among the Christian can force God to accept any prayer.

Then why are you guys using the Law of Moses, why don't you wipe them out and create your own? You can't justify Is'lam from a Jewish prophet. Infact when a new Prophet came he should have started anew, disregarding what the Lord had laid down. That means Is'lam should start anew and disregard all that was done with Christianity and Judaism.
Just because these Prophets/messengers were Jewish by blood has nothing to do with their religiousity and piety to God. Afterall, they were God's elects. The fact that we revere them shows that God is their Lord and Sender of these prophets. However not all of their laws are carried forward into I/sl/am. We don't pray like the Jews for example. We do not wail to and or at any wall. I can give you many things that the jews do that Musli/ms don't. That include dietary laws. Am sure we will discuss manyof these things and you see a new dynamics in Is/la,m.

My dear don't start giving me the story of how the Torah and the Bible are corrupt and the Qu'ran is the only truth. You still have to prove the Qu'ran to me. I want a different response than Muhaaamad said so or God said so, because it is not authenticated that God was the one speaking. The Qu'ran show inconsistencies with the rest of the Word of God. The only way it can hold any weight is if Muhaamad says that all that has been there since the beginning of time was a lie. Now that is very suspicious.
You have answeredyourown questions. You have argued for me. I concur with you, because if Mu/ha/mmad had come and said that everything that every prophets before him did were lies, it would be very suspecious. For one, he would be denying their prophethood, wouldn't he? CConsidering that even the legend of moses was known all the way to Egypt. You would have said that the M/uh/ammad had written off Pharaoh and all the phenomena that took place in Egypt. But what m/uha/mmad did was that he spoke about the preservation of the body of the Pharaoh that was drowned in the sea by God through the hand of Moses, during exodus. This should tell you something about the Q/ur'a/n. And who should I present except God and His messenger about the authenticity of Qu/r'an and Mu/hammad? Should i present Jesus, Moses , Ibrahim, Noah, Adam, Angel Gabreil? Tell me and I will be honest with you, if i can do it or not.

Finally, how do we know that Moses spoke to god at the burning bush and at other places? Afterall, it was Moses alone who went to these places. How do we know that Moses received the 2 tablets containing the commandments from god, and that he did not write them himself and claimed that they were from God? Afterall, he went on mount sinai, alone. The fact is that we believed based on some sets of ideals that we know about Moses before. The same applied to Jesus and same applied to Mu/ha/mmad. Afterall, Jesus displayed some good quality and character that set him apart, even as a youth. So did Mu/hammad. You need to read the life history of this noble soul. You and me will not be having this conversation in an adversarial way.

Like I said if I ask questions they will be deleted.
I do not know what to say here. I have no authority to effectuate anything at all. But am willing to dialogue, in any which way you wish. Finally I read the Jesus material to directed me to. Good assignment, but they did not have any Mu/s/lim opinion in there. And there was no Jewish opinion either. I just do not see how that convinces anyone.

Dishonesty is very common among this people

Re: A Christian by olabowale(m): 12:28am On May 06, 2008
@~Lady~
According to God, when He said that they claimed that Jesus son of Mary is One of three. Just this alone is enough. Anyone who disagrees with God is dishonest.
Re: A Christian by samba123(m): 10:50am On May 06, 2008
how you qualify as a christian.

well should praise god 24/7

be honest

be good to your neighbour

be kind and generous

be polite

be down to earth person

and respect you family

and be helpful

that its for me.

and dont forget to Pray you have 8 hour to pray, 8 hour to work and 8hour to sleep
Re: A Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:52pm On May 06, 2008
The questions are often asked, “Who is a Christian? How do I know a Christian if I meet one?  Does every Matthew, Luke, or John pass for a Christian?  Is everyone who raises up his hand in response to a preacher’s call to repentance a Christian?  Does everyone who passes through the church isle to the altar pass for a Christian?  Are all those in church pews during church services Christians?  Who is a Christian?  Finally you may ask, “Am I a Christian?”

A soul winner on evangelism met a drunk drifting down a lane.  In his attempt to help him discover the true purpose of living’ he asked, “Are you a Christian?”  The answer came quick and sharp “What do you think I am? A Pagan?”  This is a pitiful point.

A brilliant preacher full of energy and zeal got the pass mark of his congregation. But his life at home showed a pattern of pride and jealousy found in the fallen angel - Lucifer.

A gifted and talented lady-soloist sings like an angel and prays like a prophet but she talks and acts with thunder and volcano in her voice.  Her red-hot temper, contentiousness and confusion are marks of her presence at home or at work.  Are these Christians?  A ‘Niagara’ of stormy words is an indication of the absence of Christ in the heart.

Being a Christian is not a new label: It is a new life.  The word ‘Christian’ first occurred in the New Testament.  It was not in the Old Testament.  “The disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” (Acts11: 26).  From the first use of a word, the true meaning and significance of the word become clear.  Disciples were called Christians.

‘Disciple’ is a prominent word in the New Testament.  It did not have any place in the Jewish Religion.  One of the disciples in Antioch referred to as a Christian was in Jewish religion (Galatians 1:13) before he became a Christian.  Living by the Mosiac code of “ordinance, touch not, taste not, handle not,” the ceremonial washing in holy water is ignorance of true discipleship and Christianity. Christianity centres on Jesus Christ - His love, life and light. A Christian therefore is the person who lives the life of Christ as revealed in the New Testament.

The New Testament opens with Jesus Christ who saves from sin (Matthew 1:21) and closes with Jesus Christ, the King who will come quickly - Revelation 22:20. Christ died to make you a Christian.  He did not have to die to make you a churchgoer; you can do that on your own.  But you cannot overcome sin in your natural human nature.  Christ died to suffer for you-through Christ’s merit.  If you confess your sins and ask for pardon and grace you will be forgiven.  Peace and joy will come into your heart.  You will never be the same again.  Christ died to make you live - through definite faith in His precious Blood; your heart and life are changed.  Christ died to reconcile you to God.  Through His meritorious sacrifice, a love relationship is established between you and God. Christ died to give you a new heart and life like His.  You can only enjoy a new heart at the expense of another.

The Christian life radiates the beauty of Christ’s lifestyle - humility, obedience, love, integrity and newness of life.  Check up if you are a Christian.  If not, why not? “Be not deceived: God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7).  Remember that “not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.”

You can decide to confess your sins to God today and repent - make a wholehearted change of life.  Ask for pardon from God in the Name of Jesus, the only one Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2:5).  Believe God for His mercy.  Changed and transformed, begin to live a Christian life.

1. Pray everyday especially before you go out in the morning and before you sleep in the evening.
2. Read the Bible everyday especially in the morning before you begin the day and before you sleep in the evening.  (Start with the gospel according to John)
3. Fellowship with Bible-believing Christians.
4. Be conscious of the presence of Jesus EVERY TIME; therefore, do not do whatever will displease Him.
5. Send for more tracts to give to your friends as you share your testimonies with them.

Visit: www.dclm.org
Re: A Christian by Lady2(f): 6:56pm On May 06, 2008
I am not looking for either. But I am looking for that greater work that the later generations of mankind who called themselves "Christians," did, whereas Jesus did not do. Please tell me couples of them. If you can, considering the miracles that God performed through Jesus, then it is either that somebody has embellished as to the phrase "Greater work shall he do." Please name the greater works that they have done.

Peter healed the sick. If you're looking for modern times, I present myself to you, and how praying and laying of hnads have saved me through Christ Jesus. I can even testify of how my life and that of my family's have been saved through our belief in Christ and how pleading in his name the devil bowed to my family and left. But I wouldn't want to put my business out there, so I'll tell you the story later.

Whats a church then? But when you go to church, say Sundays, you don't enter a Building? And Christianity was preJesus, you are saying?

A church is a people. The place where we worship is a sanctuary, there were sanctuaries before christ. When Christ said "You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my church" he was speaking to a person and he did not mean that he will literally lay bricks and cement upon the man and that would be his church. So the church are the people who serve God in the sanctuary.

Again, you claim that he is god. But the God Who creates never is subject to death. Only that is enough to dispute your statement. How can a God be praying to himself, stating the will of that prayed to God will be done rather than the will of the god that is praying? It is clear that the one praying is not the One he is praying to!

According to a human logic or God's divine wisdom? You told me that God can do anything, so why is it impossible for you to see that he can subject himself to suffer to save his people, that is what we call divine love. Because God is ever merciful, and he knows his people so well, that he literally came upon this earth and showed his people how to do things right. Basically spoon feed us because we were still thinking as humans. He came born without sin, by the spirit, of a virgin, and died and rose again. He
defeated
death. He did what no man who ever walked on this earth can claim. He was born without the sperm of a man, he died, and rose again. He didn't stay in the earth as any man. So in essence he is not dead. He is very much alive.

You can't understand because it defies human logic. That's the whole point. What part of the Son of God don't you get? You say that in the Bible he never called himself the Son of God, I show you then you run to another point, there are places where he was called God and he didn't refute it. But ofcourse the Bible is corrupt, right?

As I admire your level headedness, I take the position that Jesus prayer at the Garden of geshemane was not accepte by God. This is according to the Bible. Therefore the One Jesus petitioned is greater than Jesus. So in reality Jesus has a God who is his Lord. And that Lord God is different from him. That Lord God is greater than him. That lord God is the true Lord God.

So if Jesus can never force God to accept his prayer, as the example indicated, then no one among the Christian can force God to accept any prayer.

Your point here, contradicts you own point above.
Above you siad that he prayed that the Father's will be done, well then why are you saying that his prayers wasn't answered. He asked for God's will to be done and it was done.

He and the Father and the Spirit are one. You were trying to explain to me the other day that if Christ died then that means that God died. Well yes, I am telling you yes. In order for that to happen, he had to be in human form because a spirit cannot die. But his flesh can.
But you also mentioned water and ice as an example. That if the ice is stained wouldn't that mean that the water is too. Well yes this is true.
So now I want to see the chemical properties of water. In science it is called H2O. Well when that water becomes solid does it's chmical property change? Isn't it the same H2O. And when it becomes gas does it change absolutely not. It is still the same H2O.
Liquid (God the Father) Solid(God the Son) Vapour (God the Holy Spirit). Hope that answers your question. It is still the same God but in different forms. It is still the same water, but in different forms.

No one said that Christians force God to answer prayers. You don't know Christians do you?

Just because these Prophets/messengers were Jewish by blood has nothing to do with their religiousity and piety to God

Why was the covenant made with the Arabs but the Arabic prophets are Jewish? So the Jewish Prophets abandoned their people to go and become Prophets to the Arabs because the covenant was with the Arabs.
Explain.

However not all of their laws are carried forward into I/sl/am. We don't pray like the Jews for example.

Why not?

And who should I present except God and His messenger about the authenticity of Qu/r'an and Mu/hammad? Should i present Jesus, Moses , Ibrahim, Noah, Adam, Angel Gabreil? Tell me and I will be honest with you, if i can do it or not.

It doesn't have to be a who? I want proof. I can't take your word or the word of the Qu'ran because your word comes from the Qu'ran and you're trying to prove the Qu'ran to me so that strikes out anything in the Qu'ran, now you can start somewhere from history.

same applied to Mu/ha/mmad. Afterall, Jesus displayed some good quality and character that set him apart, even as a youth. So did Mu/hammad. You need to read the life history of this noble soul. You and me will not be having this conversation in an adversarial way.

Tell me about his life.

According to God, when He said that they claimed that Jesus son of Mary is One of three. Just this alone is enough. Anyone who disagrees with God is dishonest.

How do you know it is God. Because Muhaamad said so?

Good assignment, but they did not have any Mu/s/lim opinion in there. And there was no Jewish opinion either. I just do not see how that convinces anyone

They had the opinion of people who did not believe in anything. Neutrality was there. The people were atheists and now they believe.

(1) (Reply)

Jacob's Deception And Modern Day Deception- How Do They Compare? / Prosperity Preaching In The Bible / ,discontinued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.