Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:58 PM

Aibohphobia - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Aibohphobia (818 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aibohphobia by ypeace: 8:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
Aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes.
Palindromes are done in several languages, with French being the assumed language of origin since it was for the anagram as well.
PALINDROMES ARE WORDS THAT READ THE SAME BOTH FORWARD AND BACKWARD SUCH AS IN HANNAH

This is a true story!
In 1881 (notice the numbers are the same forward and backward?)a man was born named Sydney Yendys (his name is also palindrome!). I am not sure in which town he was born, but he married a girl named Edna and had a daughter named Edna. He worked for 5 yrs. as a bookkeeper with OK Cartrac Ko. (Reads the same forward and backward too!) Business grew and an assistant was hired for Sydney, named Wordrow (another palindrome!). One day Wordrow said to his boss, "Have you ever noticed that your entire name is a palidrome?" Sydney had never heard of the word before. After Wordrow explained it to him, with two examples: "It's a word or sentence that reads the same forward and backwards like the word 'level' or 'Rats live on no evil star.'"
So, Sydney wrote his name on a piece of paper, and then wrote it backwards and exclaimed, "Sure enough, you're right!"
From that day on, Sydney became obsessed with palindromes. He is considered the "Father of the Palindrome" by many wordsmiths because more than any other man of his time, and perhaps in history so far he devoted his entire life to them? He spent all of his spare time fuddling around with words. One day he saw the results of a palidromic contest published in his weekly paper. The winner was Levin Snivel (palidrome name!) who wrote a twelve octosyllabic line poem. (He and Sydney were to become life-long competitors).Sydney was energized! He wrote a twenty decasyllable poem and sent it to the publisher, who did publish is. But he also sent his regrets that it had not been sent in in time for his contest (or he'd have won). Snivel heard about this and then wrote a palindromic poem of forty duodecasyllables. And ol' Sydney countered with the same kind of poem only composed of 60. Thus we have dueling poets!!
After Snivel wrote a poem of 114 syllabled lines, Sydney decided it was time for some major action. He decided to write a full-length novel that was one entire palidrome titled, "grin'neeht" and started instantly.
Fortunately, he could do this because he got a nice inheritance to live on (relative unknown) so he could quit bookkeeping and devoted all his time writing this palindromic novel. Of course, this wrecked havoc on his personal life! .His wife left him, taking their daughter with her. Well, duh? Ironically Sydney never even noticed they left! He kept on with his novel writing and writing and writing.
How long did it take? 30 years!!! The palindrome novel was finally done -- or was it?
Sydney threw a party for a few of his closest friends, with a nice fire, wine and all the rest. He presented the large stack of typewritten papers of the novel, "grin'neeht" and said it was an anti-war novel. Upon looking closely at the first sentence which read, "Snug and raw was I, ere I saw war and guns," they gasped.
It was underlined in red and as all good friends, they had suggested merely rewriting it to read, "Snug & raw was I, ere I saw war & guns."
(Do you see his big error? The "and" was never a palindrome?)
Sydney's lips quivered, jaw dropped and perspiration formed on his brow. He picked up the entire manuscript and walked over to the fireplace and tossed it in! An artistic perfectionist as Sydney would never compromise his integrity. Thirty years had been wasted. He then produced a pistol and well.....Need I say more?
Carved on Sydney Yendy's tombstone were the following words,
"In my end is my beginning."

year 2002 is also a palindrome number.It may not happen again in your lifetime?The next palindrome year is 2112.If you are lucky to witness it then i advice you to
LIVE ON NO EVIL

http://www.brownielocks.com/palindromes.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pet/preform, Caps, Plastics For Any Type Of Bottles , 150cl, 75cl, 75cl / Zombie, A Love Story. Part One. / Defectors - A Sci-fi Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.