Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,737 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Do You Believe In Luck? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do You Believe In Luck? (6883 Views)

Could You Believe I Made #500,000 With Just #5000 In My First Month / Do Organizations Believe In Their Core Values / What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 10, 2013
Michael Taiwo, PhD

Many people deride the role luck has played in their success. They even deny having any! Some are embarrassed by the idea that they are lucky and others are annoyed if an attempt is ever made to show how luck has factored into their achievement. The leadership literature has not made matters any easier. Leadership gurus flood the market with clichés like ‘Luck is when preparation meets opportunity’, or ‘I have found out that the harder I work the luckier I become’, or ‘Luck is the residue of design.’ It is against this tide of conventional wisdom that I wish to swim. And this article is the first I will write in a three-part series to take a shot at this misguided popular opinion. I am going to argue here, and in the two articles coming after this one, that all successful endeavors have luck to thank. No one – whether an individual, a team or a nation – would be successful without luck and if you disagree with this statement then I have you right where I want you: the other side.

Some religious folks have strongly objected to the use of the word “luck”. They believe it is a sacrilegious attempt at giving credit to an unknown. They prefer to use “favor,” “blessed,” “God’s mercies,” or any other term that ascribes their success to an “Other.” This “Other” is usually a know-all, be-all Deity. His omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent powers order the universe and assign men their fates. I have no problem with that. In fact, with respect to my argument, we are on the same page. Why? Because we both agree that whatever goodies we have were not all purchased by our sweat but by something outside of ourselves that we have absolutely no control over. After all, can you control God? So to my religious friends, I will say you should please humor me and let me carry on with the word “luck” knowing full well that we are both saying the same thing. Don’t let us get caught up with the semantics. Isn’t it Shakespeare that said “What’s in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name will smell as sweet?”

I look at my own life and gladly acknowledge the role luck has played. I got into the University a year ahead of my high school friends not because I was smarter or more far-sighted but simply because of Serendipity. My elder sister was about to write JAMB (the entrance exam into Nigeria’s colleges and universities) and when she got to where she would purchase the exam application forms realized she had enough money for two forms and thought “What the heck? I can buy one for my kid brother too. There’s no harm in letting him try early.” I seized that opportunity and worked my butt off to score just enough to be offered an admission into my dream department at my dream school. You could say I got into college when I did because I “worked my butt off” but what if my sister didn’t have enough money for two forms? What if she had but didn’t think of me when buying hers? I never said hard work wasn’t part of the success equation; my point is that luck is very much a part too.

I also think of how I got my current job. I had applied for the same job online with no luck and I got the classic “Sorry, after looking at your resume, we regret to inform you that you have not been considered for the job” response. A few months later, at a Geoscientists’ conference, I ran into a recruiter from the same company that rejected my online application; she took one look at my resume and said “I have a job for you!” Nothing had changed in those intervening months: I was still the same me, doing the same research, having the same GPA and working at the same rate. The only difference now was that I happened to be at the right place at the right time talking to the right person. I was lucky to be at the conference. I am not a Geoscientist but I have friends who thought it okay to invite me. I was lucky to meet a recruiter who knew exactly what the company was looking for and quickly saw a fit. (I have since found out not all recruiters are that competent.) I got a Chemical Engineering job at a Geoscientist conference. Yes, I am lucky.

Look, my point is that in trying to extol the virtues of hardwork, resilience and planning we have swung too far to the other side. We have become extremists in expressing those views and we have almost made luck a vice. Whereas, in the daily grind of life, we over and again find that it ain’t just so! You need to be at least a little lucky to survive in this world and you definitely need a large dose of it to thrive, to have your place among the very best. It is about time you came off your high horse and humbly accept: yes, I was lucky.

P.S.
In my next article, I will write on “The many faces of Luck” and in the last article of this Luck series I will go a bit more philosophical and touch on “Our Struggle with Luck.” I am really excited to share these with you and can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

http://jarushub.com/2013/06/10/femi-taiwo-on-monday-yes-i-am-lucky/

8 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by sholay2011(m): 9:23am On Jun 10, 2013
Jarus, God bless you real good. Nice topic.

I believe there is a place of luck (though as a Christian, I would call it Divine favour grin wink) but still, some situations happen in which I win something over fellow 'true' Christians...should we now say they dont have divine favour? grin

I agree that there is a place of luck, even in divine favour...abi why did God choose Jacob over Esau? When they've not yet done anything to deserve or not to deserve such.

But I dont live my life based on luck. I wave it aside and focus on parts that I can control- hardwork, patience, persistence etc and let fate takes it cause...even if luck would later help me.
I dont base my actions on the conscious existence of 'luck' and do not need chanting: 'Goodluck to me, Goodluck to you and Goodluck to Nigeria'. cheesy

But is luck not woven around a broader concept called Destiny or Fate? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Kuljoe(m): 9:27am On Jun 10, 2013
I wuld say luck is 99% hardwork wit God's intervention.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Mustay(m): 9:34am On Jun 10, 2013
Somehow, am reading providence here more than luck undecided

According to

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/providence

(often initial capital letter) the foreseeing care and guidance of God or nature over the creatures of the earth.

Religious inclination makes me believe in luck, that with hardwork anyway.

However this post makes me remember this:
"pursue excellence and success will chase you pants down!"

Btw, success' definition is relative here.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Jun 10, 2013
This sounds like a religious topic...

I've always wondered why a lot of Christians and Muslims attribute their success to God when in those same religions, there are poor people and people who don't worship any God are equally successful.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by AjanleKoko: 10:10am On Jun 10, 2013
Afam4eva: This sounds like a religious topic...

I've always wondered why a lot of Christians and Muslims attribute their success to God when in those same religions, there are poor people and people who don't worship any God are equally successful.

Afam, TBH, that's probably the most sensible thing I have read from you on NL undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by OMA4U(m): 11:14am On Jun 10, 2013

Afam, you're right to some extent that there are people who worship God and still remain poor, and there are some who don't worship any god and still successful.
But let me leave you with this Bible verse. Roman 9:15 which says " God says: 'I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.'"

whether you serve God or not, if you'll make it in life, you will.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 10, 2013

That's why it is 'favour'. Favour is to a great extent random. For example, you don't have a choice whether to be born into rich or poor home.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by greall1: 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
sure
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Cultured(m): 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
Well , I would rather go with the postulation that " when preparation meet with opportunity success occur " , so I don't believe in luck rather I believe in " INNOVATION " . Innovation is that secret non pronounced word you see around every success , in the layman's world it is termed smartness- This justify the postulation " hard work is good but it's smart work that pays well " . My advice to the religious fanatics , it is about time to stop waiting for miracle that will never come ; embrace innovation and I bet you , the sky will become your stepping stone for success. If you can not innovate; imitate .

3 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by yuzedo: 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2013
Jarus, bro, wazzap? am loyal sah! i hope am locky to meat u one day sah! smiley
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by AbuMikey(m): 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
I don't believe in Luck any problem? undecided
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
Mehn, this article long ooooooooooooooooooo. Buh anyway I believe in luck buh surely luck only prevails with hardwork
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2013
yuzedo: Jarus, bro, wazzap? am loyal sah! i hope am locky to meat u one day sah! smiley

Yes sir. Wont mind coming to your Banana Island Mansion. smiley
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by 222Martins(m): 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2013
I don't believe in Luck..........I believe in working with my God given talent and brain. Nothing else.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by churchillfrank(m): 2:11pm On Jun 10, 2013
There is no such thing as LUCK...prepardness meet opportunity..that's all..have ask ur self why u were no born in a royal house like Queen of england or not to a romute area in the world.

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by donez(m): 2:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
Some Folks do say dat pre-marital sex and particularly self servicing brings ill-luck upon someone...I dnt knw how true dis myt be
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
edited
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by alaoeri: 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
Luck is just a combination of hardwork & opportunity. For me there's nothing like luck.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Hardfact: 2:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Afam, TBH, that's probably the most sensible thing I have read from you on NL undecided
Aj aint that too blvnt lipsrsealed
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2013
edited
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by honestivo(m): 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2013
I strongly bliv in luck(can u say is hard work dat makes Gej nigeria president no, der wer somany politician dat worked hard to attain d position of vp but they didn't make it eg peter odili,Donald duke etc. So luck works.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by awesomet1(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
Jarus: Michael Taiwo, PhD

Many people deride the role luck has played in their success. They even deny having any! Some are embarrassed by the idea that they are lucky and others are annoyed if an attempt is ever made to show how luck has factored into their achievement. The leadership literature has not made matters any easier. Leadership gurus flood the market with clichés like ‘Luck is when preparation meets opportunity’, or ‘I have found out that the harder I work the luckier I become’, or ‘Luck is the residue of design.’ It is against this tide of conventional wisdom that I wish to swim. And this article is the first I will write in a three-part series to take a shot at this misguided popular opinion. I am going to argue here, and in the two articles coming after this one, that all successful endeavors have luck to thank. No one – whether an individual, a team or a nation – would be successful without luck and if you disagree with this statement then I have you right where I want you: the other side.

Some religious folks have strongly objected to the use of the word “luck”. They believe it is a sacrilegious attempt at giving credit to an unknown. They prefer to use “favor,” “blessed,” “God’s mercies,” or any other term that ascribes their success to an “Other.” This “Other” is usually a know-all, be-all Deity. His omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent powers order the universe and assign men their fates. I have no problem with that. In fact, with respect to my argument, we are on the same page. Why? Because we both agree that whatever goodies we have were not all purchased by our sweat but by something outside of ourselves that we have absolutely no control over. After all, can you control God? So to my religious friends, I will say you should please humor me and let me carry on with the word “luck” knowing full well that we are both saying the same thing. Don’t let us get caught up with the semantics. Isn’t it Shakespeare that said “What’s in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name will smell as sweet?”

I look at my own life and gladly acknowledge the role luck has played. I got into the University a year ahead of my high school friends not because I was smarter or more far-sighted but simply because of Serendipity. My elder sister was about to write JAMB (the entrance exam into Nigeria’s colleges and universities) and when she got to where she would purchase the exam application forms realized she had enough money for two forms and thought “What the heck? I can buy one for my kid brother too. There’s no harm in letting him try early.” I seized that opportunity and worked my butt off to score just enough to be offered an admission into my dream department at my dream school. You could say I got into college when I did because I “worked my butt off” but what if my sister didn’t have enough money for two forms? What if she had but didn’t think of me when buying hers? I never said hard work wasn’t part of the success equation; my point is that luck is very much a part too.

I also think of how I got my current job. I had applied for the same job online with no luck and I got the classic “Sorry, after looking at your resume, we regret to inform you that you have not been considered for the job” response. A few months later, at a Geoscientists’ conference, I ran into a recruiter from the same company that rejected my online application; she took one look at my resume and said “I have a job for you!” Nothing had changed in those intervening months: I was still the same me, doing the same research, having the same GPA and working at the same rate. The only difference now was that I happened to be at the right place at the right time talking to the right person. I was lucky to be at the conference. I am not a Geoscientist but I have friends who thought it okay to invite me. I was lucky to meet a recruiter who knew exactly what the company was looking for and quickly saw a fit. (I have since found out not all recruiters are that competent.) I got a Chemical Engineering job at a Geoscientist conference. Yes, I am lucky.

Look, my point is that in trying to extol the virtues of hardwork, resilience and planning we have swung too far to the other side. We have become extremists in expressing those views and we have almost made luck a vice. Whereas, in the daily grind of life, we over and again find that it ain’t just so! You need to be at least a little lucky to survive in this world and you definitely need a large dose of it to thrive, to have your place among the very best. It is about time you came off your high horse and humbly accept: yes, I was lucky.

P.S.
In my next article, I will write on “The many faces of Luck” and in the last article of this Luck series I will go a bit more philosophical and touch on “Our Struggle with Luck.” I am really excited to share these with you and can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

http://jarushub.com/2013/06/10/femi-taiwo-on-monday-yes-i-am-lucky/
PhD well earned
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by ezme(m): 2:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
I would choose not to build a belief system around luck but would like to say that our choices in life are a half-chance, so is everybody else's. Opportunity tends to favour the prepared man. Take the driving seat of your life, seek rational wise counsel and base your decisions on sound judgment knowing that with the uncertainties that characterize this world we leave in, there are no guaranties for the future but just precautionary measures that gives a better odd at success.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Spoils(m): 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2013
Think it + feel it + receive it= luck
Think it + feel it + revieve it= divine favor
Think it + feel it + receive it =providence
In all your thought is what count,without thought no luck,no divine favor,no providence,if u like give it another name.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by horlajide: 2:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by plainmirror(m): 2:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
ℓ reminisce one of nice's song lyrics
'Am not lucky...'
'Am blessed'.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by saganuwa: 2:58pm On Jun 10, 2013

you see God dint say you must worship me before you enjoy my blessing. He just gives his bounty to whomever he wished.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by fubbyy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
Cultured: Well , I would rather go with the postulation that " when preparation meet with opportunity success occur " , so I don't believe in luck rather I believe in " INNOVATION " . Innovation is that secret non pronounced word you see around every success , in the layman's world it is termed smartness- This justify the postulation " hard work is good but it's smart work that pays well " . My advice to the religious fanatics , it is about time to stop waiting for miracle that will never come ; embrace innovation and I bet you , the sky will become your stepping stone for success. If you can not innovate; imitate .
very funny how human think, anyway you reason like a human you are, but let me ask you,what about the people that prepared but never meet the opportunity? I heard someone mentioning hard work,very funny, look around you and weigh the poor and the rich who's more hard working

Someone has already used GEJ as an example, do you think he's a president today out of his hardwork? HELL NO... He's a lucky man

Take it or leave it , everything we do in this life has to do with luck, NOTE: I didn't say its all about luck,I said it has to do with luck, I've seen talented artist make good music,spent money in promotion,shot a nice video yet nothing for them and you will see som1 came up with a junk song and becomes a hit,its luck my dear

Drake admitted that he's success has to do with luck,better rappers have approached lil wayne for a record deal but that didn't happen,he didn't even struggle to get wayne's attention all the way from canada, that's luck my dear

What ever thing you do and succeeds there's an atom of luck in it because you are not the best,there are people better than you

4 Likes

Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by teniyi(m): 3:03pm On Jun 10, 2013
Luck=Chance, Nooo, that mumu in Aso Rock has displayed it all.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by bobbyL(m): 3:06pm On Jun 10, 2013
saintvalx:

yet those po.rn stars are not miserable people.
Financially, maybe they aren't. However, they are morally and spiritually miserable. There are many, much more affluent people who are fortunate all round.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by cheche98(f): 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
Kuljoe: I wuld say luck is 99% hardwork wit God's intervention.
I don't agree with you. What will you say bout people like me who rarely work that hard but get the best.the lil effort or step we make brings positive returns.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Employees In Oil And Gas Sector / Union, Kenya Airways Bicker Over Sack Of 22 Nigerians / Share Your Experiences As A Younger Senior Management Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.