Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:59 PM

FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad (13516 Views)

We Will Write Your Resignation Letter, Nigerians Abroad Tell Saraki / Gov Ambode Asks Nigerians Abroad To Return. . .Lagosians Reply / FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Firefire(m): 10:46am On Jun 10, 2013
What is your thought on this?
Many Nigerians living in Nigeria has no home and our good government is planning housing scheme for Nigerians abroad.
People abroad...CONGRAT!!!

THE Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) is working out modalities to roll out a diaspora product to assist Nigerians living abroad own homes in Nigeria.

Managing Director of the bank, Gimba Ya’u Kumo, who disclosed this at the fourth Nigeria Development Finance Forum in Washington DC, United States (US), said the product had become necessary, given the large number of Nigerians in the diaspora who wished to own homes in Nigeria and also as a means of reducing the housing deficit in the country.

“We realized that about 17 million Nigerians are living outside the country and most of them have plans to have houses and they have not been able to do so.

“We understand that over the years, people, who have been remitting money for the building or buying of a house have not been getting good results. Stories have followed this money.

“What we are trying to do is that by the time we develop the diaspora mortgage model, it will be a model whereby Nigerians living abroad who want to buy houses can resort to FMBN and, at the end of the day, if they do not take the mortgage, they can get refund of their money with interest,” he said.

Kumo added that the reason the bank had chosen the US was because out of the 17 million Nigerians all over the world, US had about 58 per cent, adding that “we are going to do our case study here and in the United Kingdom (UK). If it works well, we will try to replicate it in Asia and other parts of the world.”

He said the move would also lead to the inflow of finance from the diaspora to Nigeria, which would further assist to reduce the housing needs in the country.

The FMBN boss also said that the Utility Refinancing Company that would assist in financing the sector would kick off soon with the corporation of the World Bank, International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Federal Ministry of Finance
http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/component/k2/item/13989-fg-plans-housing-scheme-for-17-million-nigerians-abroad.html

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by daywatcher: 10:54am On Jun 10, 2013
Nonsense. They should worry about Nigerians living in Nigeria first. Most diasporans will buy the house and rent it out at extortionate prices. I think this guy just want to justify he's salary

7 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 10:56am On Jun 10, 2013
Firefire: What is your thought on this?
Many Nigerians living in Nigeria has no home and our good government is planning housing scheme for Nigerians abroad.

THE Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) is working out modalities to roll out a diaspora product to assist Nigerians living abroad own homes in Nigeria.

Managing Director of the bank, Gimba Ya’u Kumo, who disclosed this at the fourth Nigeria Development Finance Forum in Washington DC, United States (US), said the product had become necessary, given the large number of Nigerians in the diaspora who wished to own homes in Nigeria and also as a means of reducing the housing deficit in the country.

“We realized that about 17 million Nigerians are living outside the country and most of them have plans to have houses and they have not been able to do so.

“We understand that over the years, people, who have been remitting money for the building or buying of a house have not been getting good results. Stories have followed this money.

“What we are trying to do is that by the time we develop the diaspora mortgage model, it will be a model whereby Nigerians living abroad who want to buy houses can resort to FMBN and, at the end of the day, if they do not take the mortgage, they can get refund of their money with interest,” he said.

Kumo added that the reason the bank had chosen the US was because out of the 17 million Nigerians all over the world, US had about 58 per cent, adding that “we are going to do our case study here and in the United Kingdom (UK). If it works well, we will try to replicate it in Asia and other parts of the world.”

He said the move would also lead to the inflow of finance from the diaspora to Nigeria, which would further assist to reduce the housing needs in the country.

The FMBN boss also said that the Utility Refinancing Company that would assist in financing the sector would kick off soon with the corporation of the World Bank, International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Federal Ministry of Finance

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/component/k2/item/13989-fg-plans-housing-scheme-for-17-million-nigerians-abroad.html
Brilliant!

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 10, 2013
9.86 million Nigerians living in the US?

Is someone shooting the breeze again?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Garrithe1st: 11:02am On Jun 10, 2013
Jonathan and his gang of M0R0NS doing what they do best. Cassava-bread-brained bunch of fools...

cool cool

9 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 10, 2013
Garri the 1st: Jonathan and his gang of M0R0NS doing what they do best. Cassava-bread-brained bunch of fools...

cool cool
but bros, na foam de inside your head Can't you read

9 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Garrithe1st: 11:17am On Jun 10, 2013
sheyie2007: but bros, na foam de inside your head Can't you read

Ok d!ckhead, what's ur point??

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 10, 2013
Garri the 1st:

Ok d!ckhead, what's ur point??
Ok Dog-face, did you see GEJ in the article?

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:38am On Jun 10, 2013
This topic is kinda misleading sha.

This is a welcomed development, at least the issue of people who wants to build houses at home but end up getting nothing as a result of relatives/friends betraying and duping them will be reduced.

Mean while...

I've been dreaming of tall storey buildings in a neighbourhood with a serene environment, with cheap subsidized rents to help the low income earners and starters.

A neighbourhood with flats/bungalows of the same house codes(styles) with only the house nos. to identify them and with security cameras in all angles, police post at both ends... Hmm... For Naija that one na for dream lands.

Take Mararaba (Nassarawa), Ajegunle (Lagos), Durumi (Abuja), Karimu (Abuja), Iyanapaja (Lagos) part of Ikeja (Lagos) etc as case studies; the people who lives there does not deserve to live, eat and sleep in those places.

My point is, they don't give priorities to housing needs in the country, but they want to score some cheap points in the eyes of the international communities.

Such a huge shame. Sometimes I wonder if our leaders think with their a$$es.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 10, 2013
emmysenior: Hian... I've been dreaming of tall storey buildings in a neighbourhood with a serene environment, with cheap subsidized rents to help the low income earners and starters.

A neighbourhood with flats/bungalows of the same house codes(styles) with only the house nos. to identify them and with security cameras in all angles, police post at both ends... Hmm... For Naija that one na for dream lands.

Take Mararaba (Nassarawa), Ajegunle (Lagos), Durumi (Abuja), Karimu (Abuja), Iyanapaja (Lagos) part of Ikeja (Lagos) etc as case studies; the people who lives there does not deserve to live, eat and sleep in those places.

My point is, they don't give priorities to housing needs in the country, but they want to score some cheap points in the eyes of the international communities.
Such a huge shame. Sometimes I wonder if our leaders think with their a$$es.
what has our leaders got to do with this?
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Cheatmessiah: 11:48am On Jun 10, 2013
ETISALAT N10,000 WORTH OF AIRTIME UP FOR SALE I have etisalat airtime and i want 2 sale it..i got all the airtime from survey site..I will also give u d website..If you are interested call me 08175155093
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by ddeola: 11:48am On Jun 10, 2013
Misplacement of priority,abeg make una face the people in Nija and let d guys abroad sort demsefs out
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by churific(m): 11:50am On Jun 10, 2013
I want to laugh but I guess there's nothing funny about this.

Our government forever with their useless schemes. Fix our country and you wouldn't need a mortgage scheme to attract us back home. There's a reason why these people are dying to go abroad in the first place.

3 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by lacasa: 11:51am On Jun 10, 2013
"You get the leaders you deserve" ..wise man cool

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 10, 2013

7 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by gbanikiti(m): 11:52am On Jun 10, 2013
Did Nigerians in US complain that they are homeless in Nigeria? What kind of silly idea is this biko?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 10, 2013
OP,

The FG wants to use that lure them home... So they can keep sending money to Naija.. Nice strategy
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by trekkie: 11:55am On Jun 10, 2013
when i think i have heard it all, someone else comes with another hare brained scheme. angry

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by bidis: 11:56am On Jun 10, 2013
u have nt been able to provide cheap housing for people living in naija na dos one for abroad u wan build for i dt know what is wrong wit our leaders dis country is a case study

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 10, 2013

6 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Garrithe1st: 11:59am On Jun 10, 2013
ooseven:

Don't be annoyed. The govt simply knows which of its citizens are more useful both to the country and their families. You are not one of them.

You want govt benefits but keep insulting your president.

Ok Praise singer...... Tell me what you and ur families have benefited from the Retardeen since you started ur A55-kissing job??
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by mipemi(m): 12:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
Total rubbish... Dy v not settled d housing situation for d ones over here..dey r already talking abt dose over dere...Dis country is jes getting funnier day by day
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by dridowu: 12:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
No housing program 4 we living in 9ja but 4 4rinas. Hmmmm
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by coogar: 12:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
Firefire: What is your thought on this?

this is great news!
many of us have been shafted by dubious friends and unscrupulous housing agents! with the amount of money nigerians in diaspora inject into the nigerian economy annually, this is a good way of rewarding us....

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
ooseven:

"People for Nija": We want beta house, but money no dey to build and the ones for rent don jagajaga

"People for Abroad": I don make small money, i wan build house for my papa land, but my small broda don chop the money finish

"Govt": Okay, we don build the house, bring money.

abroad pay= nija rent beta house=new houses don plenty=Govt economy don improve.

WHICH PART OF THIS ANALOGY IS THE PROBLEM?
Pls tell the mumu people we de comment since

4 Likes

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 10, 2013

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 10, 2013
Garri the 1st:

Ok Praise singer...... Tell me what you and ur families have benefited from the Retardeen since you started ur A55-kissing job??
it's official!na garri de inside your head

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2013
So many ppl readin dis thread concernin d awe of d fg bt just can't comment 2 complain cos "na our son dey there". undecided
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Garrithe1st: 12:04pm On Jun 10, 2013
sheyie2007:
Ok Dog-face, did you see GEJ in the article?

Dickhead.....didn't you see FG there??

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 10, 2013
This proposed mortgage scheme will surely have high interest rates, because the bank officials, just like a majority of Nigerians; think that every diasporan is rich.

As others have said, the FCMB should also provide affordable mortgage schemes to the middle/lower classes in Nigeria.

Lmao @ 9 million Nigerians in the U.S grin grin
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by Osama10(m): 12:06pm On Jun 10, 2013
I think Jeremiah 10:23 is working here.
Re: FG Plans Housing Scheme For Nigerians Abroad by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:07pm On Jun 10, 2013
There are more people in Nigeria who have no house than those in the diaspora. Theirs should be our 1st priority.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peace Corps: "We Only Lobbied Senators, We Didn’t Bribe Them" / Rep Member, Tajudeen Adefisoye (Small Alhaji) Dumps SDP For APC / Threat Over PEPT Judgement: Report Suspicious Gatherings, Activities - Fubara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.