Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Best Baby Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Best Baby Food (124257 Views)

5 Rich Home Made Baby Food / Do You Steal Baby Food? / Baby Food Recipes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 12:01pm On May 07, 2008
Hi all,
Please could anyone tell me the best food for a baby below one year old? I'm presently giving my seven months old baby ogi(pap), but i think i should be giving him something better, or should i continue with the pap in addition to some other food? Please i need more education on this topic. Thanks.
Re: Best Baby Food by mohawkchic(f): 9:28pm On May 07, 2008
~See if this link helps you,there are lots of ideas according to your child's age that you will find useful!!

~I refrained from making any suggestions as to the type of food you should give baby as they all react differently to certain foods,so the choice is yours to try N see which food choice baby likes Best,Good Luck!!

~You  can make most of these foods yourself too!!

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sweetpotatobabyfoodrecipes.htm
Re: Best Baby Food by tpia: 3:22am On May 08, 2008
I think you can mix the pap with baby formula.

You're in Nigeria, right?  A lot of people still mix ogi with baby food. And the red one is better for babies, I heard. I mean the pap made with millet, not corn.

If Nutrend is still available, feed the baby that as well.

I remember this other food called Cerelac, which was also very good though a bit on the sweet side.

I know pap is cheaper, and some babies do thrive on it, but just to be on the safe side, you might want to mix it with formula.

This wholesome baby food website in the other post also looks okay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_food

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Best Baby Food by Spermdrops(m): 4:32am On May 08, 2008
Enfamil Lipil with Iron!
Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 10:47am On May 08, 2008
Thanks sweeties for the response, i found those sites very educating. I'll try giving him varieties and know the ones he prefers. I don't think i've heard of 'Emfamil lipil with iron', is it good for babies? what about the cost?
Re: Best Baby Food by elizabetta(f): 11:46am On May 08, 2008
You can try soya beans with pap it also cost less.
Re: Best Baby Food by tpia: 6:40pm On May 08, 2008
Afribiz:

Thanks sweeties for the response, i found those sites very educating. I'll try giving him varieties and know the ones he prefers. I don't think i've heard of 'Emfamil lipil with iron', is it good for babies? what about the cost?

Enfamil is very good, but I don't know if its sold in Nigeria.

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/Content4NoBlurb.do?dm=enf&id=/Consumer_Home/Products/Family_of_Formulas/Enfamil_LIPIL

I recently discussed the different kinds of formula with my UK cousin who was nursing her baby, and she told me its not common over there either.   They have other foods like Similac, SMA, Cerelac, etc.  Likewise Nigeria.

Soya beans are also okay as well as cost effective, like Elizabetta said. However, be on the lookout for symptoms of allergy when using it. Just in case.

2 Likes

Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 10:58am On May 09, 2008
Great people! thanks for those contributions,i'm impressed.Thanks Elizabetta for suggesting soya beans, pls where can i get original ones? 'cos i know there are very fake and adulterated ones every where.
I think i should now make my baby food this way:
- Make the ogi(dawa) my myself, adding ginger to it in the process.
- Then before feeding the baby, i'll then add soya beans and milk to it.
- I can be substituting that with any other cereal, so that he wouldn't be bored with same food.
How do you see that?Thanks tpia for the emfamil lipil site,it's such a quality food for infants, i'll check for it in the supermarkets.

1 Like

Re: Best Baby Food by bluehorizo(m): 11:25am On May 09, 2008
Breast Milk
Re: Best Baby Food by elizabetta(f): 2:24pm On May 09, 2008
@Afribiz
That of soya bean i was buying it then in the pharmacy,using it to eat.But a friend of mine was giving her baby soya beans and pap and it was really good,i really think you ask people around and pls don't add ginger to the pap.you can also try golden more and 123peak milk for babies or baby biscuit with milk, it also cost less too,my aunt also use that for her baby.I hope i have been helpful
Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 9:09am On May 12, 2008
@Elizabetta,
Yeah! you've really been very helpful, thanks once again for your advice, i'll do as you said. Pap and soya beans, that does it.Then some other food like golden morn, nutrend, biscuits etc in addition. That's great.
Thanks love.
Re: Best Baby Food by TOYOSI20(f): 7:30am On May 21, 2008
bluehorizo:

Breast Milk

True,. . , . smiley
Re: Best Baby Food by mafolayomi(f): 5:25pm On May 26, 2008
sma gold
Re: Best Baby Food by Imme: 10:35am On Jul 09, 2008
I benefitted from Afribiz question and all the answers given in reply. Can somebody please advice me on how to prepare soyabeans to avoid buying adulterated ones.
Re: Best Baby Food by one4love: 9:34am On Jul 24, 2008
It's my pleasure to write you, am Lucky by name male strong looking for a sexy sweet woman like you to be with, please if you are interested on me kindly write me here one_love28293@yahoo.co.uk please when writing kindly drop your personal contact will be necessary for me to reach you.
Re: Best Baby Food by AmakaOne(f): 11:20am On Jul 24, 2008
my mum fed all of us this when we were growing up

Beans porridge (thats what I call it)

Ingredients
1. Beans
2. Cray Fish
3. Butter

Wash the cover of the beans off (as if you want to make akara or moi-moi) and also to prevent the child from diarrhea, soak the beans in water for a while.
Grind the beans until smooth.
Boil some water, add a bit (just a bit) of crayfish into the water. Add about a tablespoon of the beans paste. Stir while it cooks, it becomes thick very quickly. Add a pinch of salt when it is ready. Add butter to taste.
Its like making pap.
Serve immediately it cools a bit. when it cools it 'turns' into moi-moi.
Wash and soak for almost a whole day to soften the beans, reducing cooking time.
With time (as she grows older),  add other things like fish, green pepper etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 11:27am On Jul 25, 2008
AMAKAONE:

my mum fed all of us this when we were growing up

Beans porridge (thats what I call it)

Ingredients
1. Beans
2. Cray Fish
3. Butter

Wash the cover of the beans off (as if you want to make akara or moi-moi) and also to prevent the child from diarrhea, soak the beans in water for a while.
Grind the beans until smooth.
Boil some water, add a bit (just a bit) of crayfish into the water. Add about a tablespoon of the beans paste. Stir while it cooks, it becomes thick very quickly. Add a pinch of salt when it is ready. Add butter to taste.
Its like making pap.
Serve immediately it cools a bit. when it cools it 'turns' into moi-moi.
Wash and soak for almost a whole day to soften the beans, reducing cooking time.
With time (as she grows older),  add other things like fish, green pepper etc.

Hearing this for the first time. How does it taste?
It doesn't sound appetising, won't the beans be somehow raw?
Well, one man's food is another man's poison.  smiley smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 11:37am On Jul 25, 2008
one4love:

It's my pleasure to write you, am Lucky by name male strong looking for a sexy sweet woman like you to be with, please if you are interested on me kindly write me here one_love28293@yahoo.co.uk please when writing kindly drop your personal contact will be necessary for me to reach you.

Lucky, abi na one4love, whatever you call yourself, please take your love search to the Romance section.
I even wonder why this post hasn't been deleted.

@Imme,
I'm also looking for someone who'll teach me how to prepare soyabeans. I heard the preparation is tidious.
Please if you learn, remember to teach me. lol!! cheesy
Re: Best Baby Food by princessk1: 3:47pm On Jul 25, 2008
that soya beans thingy is great for kids but dangerous if not prepared well so be carefull
you can also use groundnut paste or local yogurt wit the pap.
Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 10:14am On Jul 28, 2008
princess k:

that soya beans thingy is great for kids but dangerous if not prepared well so be carefull
you can also use groundnut paste or local yogurt wit the pap.

Local yogurt? how do you apply that?

1 Like

Re: Best Baby Food by Gonorrhea(m): 10:20am On Jul 28, 2008
@poster

Nothing as yummy as fresh raw titties milk for a baby!!
Re: Best Baby Food by princessk1: 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2008
Afribiz:

Local yogurt? how do you apply that?
after u finish making the pap you can put the yogurt just like you would use pap and milk.
Re: Best Baby Food by princessk1: 12:44pm On Jul 28, 2008
Gonorrhea:

@poster

Nothing as yummy as fresh raw titties milk for a baby!!
you must be a man abi?
that is why u dont know a baby of more than 6 months will be taking more than breast milk, no body does exclusive for more than 6 months, even the 6 months sef ,

1 Like

Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 8:52am On Jul 29, 2008
@PRINCESS,
Could you please tell me the kind of yogurt i shld buy.
I feel it's not the commom N50 type sold by hawkers, or is it?
Re: Best Baby Food by princessk1: 12:16pm On Jul 29, 2008
you can know good yugurt from its appearance the thicker the better even when you shake it it doesnt separate until u mix it and it will be creamy on top.
Re: Best Baby Food by Afribiz(f): 10:47am On Jul 30, 2008
princess k:

you can know good yugurt from its appearance the thicker the better even when you shake it it doesnt separate until u mix it and it will be creamy on top.

Thanks darling, u're indeed a Princess. lol!! cheesy cheesy wink wink
Re: Best Baby Food by Nobody: 5:08am On Aug 02, 2008
All Gerber baby's food.
They're the best, have lots of variety and very healthy.

1 Like

Re: Best Baby Food by ujubekee: 4:31pm On Apr 28, 2009
HOW TO PREPARE SOYA BEAN

Ingredients/tools:
1. One big custard rubber of soya bean seed.
2. manual/hand blender

Method:
Buy about one big custard measure of soya bean seed. Pick it one at a time to remove the sand.
After picking, put a frying pan on fire, pour the soya beans inside and keep stiring it with a wooden spoon or spoon until it starts drying like roasted groundnut and colour changes to a bit brownish.
Once you can peel the roasted back like ground nut, it is ok.
Pour into a tray to cool.

Pour into a manual blender (adjust the blender so that it will be loose) and gently blend to remove the hard skin.
Winow (blow with a tray or hand fan) the soya bean with the skin to remove the skin.

Tighten the blender and blend until the soya bean is well blended (that is when it become powdered).

Your soya bean is ready.

Pour into a tight covered container and label with the date of production.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Baby Food by jovi: 3:45pm On Feb 03, 2011
pls what abt the correct steps to make ogi?/dawa?, thanks
Re: Best Baby Food by Superuser(m): 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2011
I have carefully written Soyabean Recipe eBook that can help in this formulation. Please contact bioconfoods@yahoo.com. Regards
Re: Best Baby Food by myowncomputer: 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
ujubekee: HOW TO PREPARE SOYA BEAN

Ingredients/tools:
1. One big custard rubber of soya bean seed.
2. manual/hand blender

Method:
Buy about one big custard measure of soya bean seed. Pick it one at a time to remove the sand.
After picking, put a frying pan on fire, pour the soya beans inside and keep stiring it with a wooden spoon or spoon until it starts drying like roasted groundnut and colour changes to a bit brownish.
Once you can peel the roasted back like ground nut, it is ok.
Pour into a tray to cool.

Pour into a manual blender (adjust the blender so that it will be loose) and gently blend to remove the hard skin.
Winow (blow with a tray or hand fan) the soya bean with the skin to remove the skin.

Tighten the blender and blend until the soya bean is well blended (that is when it become powdered).

Your soya bean is ready.

Pour into a tight covered container and label with the date of production.

I remember when we were growing up. Mum had another method which produces the milk, and we used to do it every Saturday.

Whatever quantity we would use, soak it water overnight, cos the skin is seriously attached to the bean. Peel the next day, then take for grinding or use blender.
Sieve like u r sieving pap then boil. Add sugar to taste. Hmn delicious!
Re: Best Baby Food by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 30, 2012
Afribiz: Thanks sweeties for the response, i found those sites very educating. I'll try giving him varieties and know the ones he prefers. I don't think i've heard of 'Emfamil lipil with iron', is it good for babies? what about the cost?

I'm not sure it's in Naija... Just use a good one you can find ... does the same job.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foods That Increase Your Chances Of Having Twins / Bakers Square - Show Us Your Cake Designs Here / Golden Morn Unsuitable For Children Under 3 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.