Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. (34017 Views)

Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan / Siena's Project B6 Audi A4 Quattro - First Pictures. / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by JUO(m): 7:26pm On Jun 19, 2013
Siena has refused to confirm the detail of the car but i think is vw passat 1993 GT
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 19, 2013
JUO: Siena has refused to confirm the detail of the car but i think is vw passat 1993 GT

Huh? shocked
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2013
JUO: Siena has refused to confirm the detail of the car but i think is vw passat 1993 GT

Ummm...; I'm a bit confused here o. grin
Anyways, why not just post a pic of the car...: Lets take it from there...
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by samuelk(m): 5:58am On Jun 20, 2013
t-die:

It would be nice if you could show us what your doing with your Beema. Let start to encourage people to either work on their cars themselves if they have the knowledge, or at least take them to competent mechanics. With the level of complexity of the more modern cars, it wont be long before our roadside destroyers start condemning even the latest Toyotas because of their electronic complexity.

will upload the pictures later. The issues at point of purchase were;

multiple cranking when starting in the morning

car in safe mode (not revving past 4000 rpm)

climate controls not functioning

rough idles

hardstarts when warm

faulty MAF....disonnected

After scanning it pulled up codes relating to the camshaft position sensor 'exhaust' idle control valve opening and closing coil, cylinder misfire, o2 sensor behind catalyst, vanos solenoid circuit or so. So i started with changing the camshaft position sensor which didnt make any difference. So while researching online for fixes for the remaining error codes, i came across a post on bimmerforums that said something about a DME relay causing codes related to the o2 sensor and idle control valve coming up so i went back to the car to test the relay using a method i found on youtube. Well the relay didnt report much resistance after clicking which showed it was going bad which had me going all the way down to Ladipo to get another and a spare.
After installing the new relay, it only made a slight difference but that didnt deter me from going further. Next day i got down to cleaning the throttle body, DISA and idle control valve which were quite dirty and that was when the breakthrough showed up, that fetched me more power while accelerating but with constant 'jacking' but was revving past the 4k mark already but still with the issue of not starting when hot. I returned to the internet to check for possible causes but didn't get much info on that so i went to pay some of my mechanic friends a visit just to engage them in talks about the issue and i was adviced to check the fuel pump and filter.
The next morning which was yesterday, i got myself under the car and took out the fuel filter...it seemed clear then i got into the car to check the fuel pump. I could hear the whirring but that didnt convince me enough but there was no way i was going to bring out the fuel pump 'fear factor grin ' so i called up a bmw mechanic around to do it for me which he did..... Initial tests on the fuel pump showed that it was pumping well but i just wanted to throw my last coin at the fuel pump so we set out to Olowu spare parts market at Ikeja to get a new pump.
During the process of testing the new pump and mine which i took along, we discovered that the fuel pump motor was actually spinning higher than that of mine so i bought it and we headed home to install it....and behold, it was the fuel pump, the first crank turned up well with a good hum, even with the MAF connected which had previously been disconnected....took it around for a spin and the movement was just superb! turned it off and started again.....cranked and turned up normally, that is how i saved my pocket some thousands.
Will be checking some electrical wirings on the car later today.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by samuelk(m): 6:00am On Jun 20, 2013
yungboss: good job t-die, nice write up. After being "smoked" by the 2007 3.5l camry V6 (one of my threads), i have decided to replace the engine of my 2000 323ci 5MT with a 2001 330i...i have ordered for the engine but it hasn't arrived. Good job man.
Samuelk, welldone.

Thanks Yungboss
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by ziccoit: 7:00am On Jun 20, 2013
Siena:

You don't need to be an engineer, or even technically-minded to get to grips with the inner workings of your car. All you need is an interest, then the rest all falls into place.

Tell me more about this line. I want to be involved in management of my car but don't know where to start, what to get and how to go about it.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by wisesystem: 7:17am On Jun 20, 2013
t-die been following the progress you have been making on your car project, very impressive. But wont advice just anyone to embark on such a project oh! If we quantify the cost of the services you perform yourself and add that to the cost of other services you out-source and cost of parts, then its advice able for those of us not so grounded with the intricacies and complexities of a car engine to not get carried away and start such a project ooh!... we would simply end up wishing we had walked to a car stand rather.

Nonetheless you and the likes of Sienna and Ikenna have succeeded in creating that consciousness in Nairalanders and Nigerians to get more interested in knowing something about their cars. Been on the forum for just about a year and the increase in my car knowledge has been phenomenal,already my colleagues in the office now come to me for advice on car issues
( if only they knew who the real gurus are on Nairaland cool cool) and that's after I educated them on the dangers of thermostat removal and the false idea of Injector Nozzles being serviced by our roadside Mechs, and the need to use the right tyre size in ones car.

Would keep following the progress your making, already learning a thing or two from your project. More grease to your obviously already greased elbow...

1 Like

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Leopantro: 7:53am On Jun 20, 2013
ziccoit:

Tell me more about this line. I want to be involved in management of my car but don't know where to start, what to get and how to go about it.

I'm also interested. I know next to nothing in regards to cars and I hope to buy a car soon
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 8:47am On Jun 20, 2013
wisesystem: t-die been following the progress you have been making on your car project, very impressive. But wont advice just anyone to embark on such a project oh! If we quantify the cost of the services you perform yourself and add that to the cost of other services you out-source and cost of parts, then its advice able for those of us not so grounded with the intricacies and complexities of a car engine to not get carried away and start such a project ooh!... we would simply end up wishing we had walked to a car stand rather.

Nonetheless you and the likes of Sienna and Ikenna have succeeded in creating that consciousness in Nairalanders and Nigerians to get more interested in knowing something about their cars. Been on the forum for just about a year and the increase in my car knowledge has been phenomenal,already my colleagues in the office now come to me for advice on car issues
( if only they knew who the real gurus are on Nairaland cool cool) and that's after I educated them on the dangers of thermostat removal and the false idea of Injector Nozzles being serviced by our roadside Mechs, and the need to use the right tyre size in ones car.

Would keep following the progress your making, already learning a thing or two from your project. More grease to your obviously already greased elbow...

I get your point, but I am not advocating for people to take up abandoned or already wrecked cars and try to restore them without considering the feasbility and financial implications. I did not just pick this car-I had to consult widely (with Siena and other car experts) before deciding to go for this restoration project. Considering that this car is 11 years old, theres a possibility that the total cost of restoration may or may not approach the cost of a direct "tokunboh" Audi A4 of the same specs. But the restoration experience cannot be quantified in terms of cost, and at the end of the day I'll end up with a car that is fully customized to my taste and running on a brand new fuel pump, timing belt, etc... grin + I gain a more knowledge of how complex cars work etc.

All we are advocating is that people begin to get to know more about our cars because of the increasing complexity of the cars, and mostly static knowledge of a lot of our roadside mechanics (I acknowledge that some are good though).

In developed countries, you could probably get away without knowing anything about your car because there are a lot of competent mechanics and definite standards to be adhered to...in the USA you wont be allowed to run a car with CEL (Check Engine Light) Illuminated. In Naija however, it is brushed aside as "being normal" and attributed to so many diverse and funny reasons including "hot climate".
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 20, 2013
Goodmornin NL'ers hope ya'll doin great? No pun intended, thank you all for ur immense contribution to T-die's thread and also thanks for the words of encouragement pls folks who want to tune their cars, I suggest they should kindly go start up their own thread. Reason is simple: so as not to derail this interesting thread thus make this thread complex and stale for t-die and the followers of his thread. #just an idea/suggestion#. Peace on ya'll

2 Likes

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by yungboss(m): 9:33am On Jun 20, 2013
lomomike: Goodmornin NL'ers hope ya'll doin great? No pun intended, thank you all for ur immense contribution to T-die's thread and also thanks for the words of encouragement pls folks who want to tune their cars, I suggest they should kindly go start up their own thread. Reason is simple: so as not to derail this interesting thread thus make this thread complex and stale for t-die and the followers of his thread. #just an idea/suggestion#. Peace on ya'll
right on
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by uboma(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2013
yungboss: good job t-die, nice write up. After being "smoked" by the 2007 3.5l camry V6 (one of my threads), i have decided to replace the engine of my 2000 323ci 5MT with a 2001 330i...i have ordered for the engine but it hasn't arrived. Good job man.
Samuelk, welldone.

Pls keep us updated when the process starts. I am learning a lot from this thread and will learn more if u make ur thread as explicit as t-dies'.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 21, 2013
Another of t-die's parts turned up this morning.

Headlamp eyebrows:

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 21, 2013
Oga t-die, wetin happen na? Why u wan keep us inside suspense like this? Abeg come continue your work or else we go do peaceful protest Oº°˚˚°!
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2013
More for t-die's Audi A4 B6.

LED tail lights:

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Emperoh(m): 11:05pm On Jun 21, 2013
Jesus!!!

Where have i been? So much for being off Car talk for a while!
I dare not miss this again.

T-Die, i followed you Peugeot Enugu - Akwa-ibom trip and i must say it was exciting
But this thread is taking things to a higher level. . . . . . . .kudos. I am really keen at this project for 2 reasons
I have always loved this spec of Audi A4 02-05 and i dream owning one. But it dealt with a friend who had a 1.8 Liter turbocharged engine. Hence, it was with glee i latched on to see what you are doing here and will ask him to come on here.

What his issues did was discourage me on the durability of this car and how it is issue prone. Hence, with your advice, maybe i will discard the 325i i am making plans to buy and switch back my love for this.

Secondly, you work will validate my belief that Audis are better cars to Benz. This assertion will end in a long debate.

However, i have some questions;
What City are you in? I guess PH
Will u be sharing the full cost incurred and a likely idea of what basic parts on this unit costs?
What likely issues should one expect for a car like this?

On another side, can i kindly make a request. This is in line with the need to patronize more equipped and knowledgeable mechanics.

Depending on what City you are based in, can i suggest that we give names and contact details of mechanics workshops where one can get a full auto service just like the one T-die is using?

We are not talking of road side mechanics here and i am not also looking to see the contact of Stallion or Kia Motors here or anything of sorts.
If you live in lagos, abuja, ph, enugu, kano etc. These will help others assess these services while using the knowledge we gain as a launch pad.

Tdie, kudos and keep it up. Fully subscribing to this
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 9:35am On Jun 22, 2013
Emperoh: Jesus!!!

Where have i been? So much for being off Car talk for a while!
I dare not miss this again.

T-Die, i followed you Peugeot Enugu - Akwa-ibom trip and i must say it was exciting
But this thread is taking things to a higher level. . . . . . . .kudos. I am really keen at this project for 2 reasons
I have always loved this spec of Audi A4 02-05 and i dream owning one. But it dealt with a friend who had a 1.8 Liter turbocharged engine. Hence, it was with glee i latched on to see what you are doing here and will ask him to come on here.

What his issues did was discourage me on the durability of this car and how it is issue prone. Hence, with your advice, maybe i will discard the 325i i am making plans to buy and switch back my love for this.

Secondly, you work will validate my belief that Audis are better cars to Benz. This assertion will end in a long debate.

However, i have some questions;
What City are you in? I guess PH
Will u be sharing the full cost incurred and a likely idea of what basic parts on this unit costs?
What likely issues should one expect for a car like this?

On another side, can i kindly make a request. This is in line with the need to patronize more equipped and knowledgeable mechanics.

Depending on what City you are based in, can i suggest that we give names and contact details of mechanics workshops where one can get a full auto service just like the one T-die is using?

We are not talking of road side mechanics here and i am not also looking to see the contact of Stallion or Kia Motors here or anything of sorts.
If you live in lagos, abuja, ph, enugu, kano etc. These will help others assess these services while using the knowledge we gain as a launch pad.

Tdie, kudos and keep it up. Fully subscribing to this

Thanks for the encouragement.

Truth is that some Audi B6s are better left alone-at least in Nigeria. This includes the 1.8T.
Apart from the fact that Turbo Engines are dreaded by a lot of Nigerian mechs, The 1.8 T came with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)instead of the regular automatic transmission. A double no-no for the car in my opinion.

I am based in Uyo and am willing to detail costs (if you're interested)-the costs are surprisingly not too high considering the quality of items you're getting. Just that transfer charges and shipping costs can add up to quite a bit if you get carried away... ;-)

As regards likely issues for the 3.0 Quattro (My model), Can't really think of anything that can go wrong again (apart from very unlikely automatic transmission issues)-since I'll be replacing the timing belt, water pump, serpentine (fan) belt, Automatic transmission fluid and filter, Radiator + condenser etc with brand new units from Audi through Siena.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 9:51am On Jun 22, 2013
I got my car back some days ago and had parked it while waiting for the ordered parts to arrive.
Decided to warm up the engine last night and noticed that my steering was a bit stiffer than normal and quite noisy.

The Power steering fluid level was quite low, and I gathered from Siena that Audis and VWs do NOT use the regular red ATF/Power steering fluid, but a specific greenish VW/Audi Fluid. If you use the normal red ATF/Steering fluid, you risk degradation of the rubber seals in the steering system [Shudders at the implications]

I decided to find out what fluid the previous owner used by using a syringe to aspirate some of the fluid, I got a light red colored fluid.... wonder whether that is due to normal degeneration of the original green VW steering fluid, or due to maybe a mixture of the red ATF and the VW fluid...

To be on the safe side; a steering system flush is likely required. Thankfully the original steering fluid is available in Nigeria (according to a VW parts dealer in PH)- thats an extra 5K for 4L of fluid...

Will need to confirm whether it is actually the right kind of fluid when I see it on Monday.

My power steering fluid sample...
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Emperoh(m): 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2013
t-die:

Thanks for the encouragement.

Truth is that some Audi B6s are better left alone-at least in Nigeria. This includes the 1.8T.
Apart from the fact that Turbo Engines are dreaded by a lot of Nigerian mechs, The 1.8 T came with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)instead of the regular automatic transmission. A double no-no for the car in my opinion.

I am based in Uyo and am willing to detail costs (if you're interested)-the costs are surprisingly not too high considering the quality of items you're getting. Just that transfer charges and shipping costs can add up to quite a bit if you get carried away... ;-)

As regards likely issues for the 3.0 Quattro (My model), Can't really think of anything that can go wrong again (apart from very unlikely automatic transmission issues)-since I'll be replacing the timing belt, water pump, serpentine (fan) belt, Automatic transmission fluid and filter, Radiator + condenser etc with brand new units from Audi through Siena.

You have sent me scampering back to the safety of where i was coming from.
In essence, i do better stick to my 325i or C240. . . . grin grin grin I am not given to plenty auto head aches due to my kind of work hence, need something that will give me the necessary power push and at the same time, durability.

Now, going by the above (per the reasons given), it is better to do the 3.0 liter quattro than the 1.8 liter turbo-charged? Also, are there issues that covers the two models? Cos sincerely, i do love to do this Audi but i need to sure i won't get into wahala after i must have done the right stuff.

How would you compare it to the 3 series E46 and the C class of same period?

On the power steering fluid, i think the previous owner used the red fluid we commonly find here.
Cos if it was the normal green fluid, it would turn black or some of a dark shade.
My thoughts though.

I would love Siena's input here as well.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 12:44pm On Jun 22, 2013
Emperoh:

You have sent me scampering back to the safety of where i was coming from.
In essence, i do better stick to my 325i or C240. . . . grin grin grin I am not given to plenty auto head aches due to my kind of work hence, need something that will give me the necessary power push and at the same time, durability.

Now, going by the above (per the reasons given), it is better to do the 3.0 liter quattro than the 1.8 liter turbo-charged? Also, are there issues that covers the two models? Cos sincerely, i do love to do this Audi but i need to sure i won't get into wahala after i must have done the right stuff.

How would you compare it to the 3 series E46 and the C class of same period?

On the power steering fluid, i think the previous owner used the red fluid we commonly find here.
Cos if it was the normal green fluid, it would turn black or some of a dark shade.
My thoughts though.

I would love Siena's input here as well.

Lol. I do not think you'd meet any less occasional challenges with the C240 or BMW. I daresay you might meet even more challenges with the Merc.-build quality for the W203 (if that's the model you want) was not exactly at its best. You can ask Trac or look at the Merc thread here.

My own candid advice; avoid ANY turbocharged engine.... Even if na Toyota sef... Except you have a verified good mechanic.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Emperoh(m): 3:49pm On Jun 22, 2013
t-die:

Lol. I do not think you'd meet any less occasional challenges with the C240 or BMW. I daresay you might meet even more challenges with the Merc.-build quality for the W203 (if that's the model you want) was not exactly at its best. You can ask Trac or look at the Merc thread here.

My own candid advice; avoid ANY turbocharged engine.... Even if na Toyota sef... Except you have a verified good mechanic.

Well said. . . . . . . . . it still boils down to getting a good mech whichever it is.
I really dread experiencing a hair-shaving, problematic unit. But i trust that with the power if the internet, things can be a little bit simplified.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 22, 2013
^^^ Emperoh, your email address was incorrect, as my email was returned immediately I sent it.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Cyberknight: 6:58pm On Jun 22, 2013
Most interesting and informative thread, I must say. Kudos to you, tdie, over your bravery in embarking upon this kind of project. Pity that you're in Uyo, I'd have liked to visit the engineering shop that you're using and perhaps do a likkle construction of my own (I'm in Lagos). Its also interesting that you're doing this on an Audi, that in my opinion is worth it, I like the Audi marque, salivate over the S8 and would have thought it thoroughly mad to do this sort of stuff on any other common car in Naija (like the 2002 Camry I drive, for example). Best of luck to you and your guru, Siena.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Emperoh(m): 9:55pm On Jun 22, 2013
Siena: ^^^ Emperoh, your email address was incorrect, as my email was returned immediately I sent it.

Sorry bro, see my signature or send to chinedu.anarado@gmail.com

any of the two will suffice
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by princemedico: 9:06am On Jun 23, 2013
Good work t-die, am fully subscribed. Mr. Siena, it seems you are fully back on cartalk section, welcome. I have been following you on that site you have been posting on, but it’s nice to have you back.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 24, 2013
T-die's side skirts turned up today:

Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jun 25, 2013
Trying to post up a status table.
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 26, 2013
Hello fellow NLers how una dey? Abeg wia oga t-die enta? #desperately searchin everywhere even under my bedsheet#
Re: t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. by tdie: 5:04pm On Jun 26, 2013
lomomike: Hello fellow NLers how una dey? Abeg wia oga t-die enta? #desperately searchin everywhere even under my bedsheet#

Lolz... I dey kampe o.
Right now, there's nothing much to do except wait for the ordered parts to arrive, and my Engineer friend to return from his leave.
Will keep you guys updated..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Help! My Mechanic Is Driving Me CRAZY / Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.