Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister (6440 Views)

Potable Water: Daura vs Otueke (Pics) / LP To GEJ: You're A Liar! Potable Water, Economy, All Lies. / Isi-uzo: A Cry For Potable Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Tedpgrass: 9:57am On Jun 20, 2013
Madam minister, madam minister...
How many times we call u?
we understand ya problem.....
Na the "ego" wey no dey.

Unlike ya sista Diezani, water resources no command too much by budgetary allocation!!!!

So why sweat your pretty brows, worrying about people who are largely providing the services themselves... aka boreholes.
But diarrhea due to poor water supplies is still on rampage in certain communities, decimating the lives of young children, the potential future leaders.

But to appear like you're working, a pessimistic press release.......

Abegi!!!!!!!!!!
Go BACK to the drawing table and identify solutions....
At least to justify your ministerial salary and entitlements

If Agriculture could do it, you have no excuse on earth, in the air or under the water not to!!!!!

Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Horus(m): 10:06am On Jun 20, 2013
On 28 July 2010, through Resolution 64/292, the United Nations General Assembly explicitly recognized the human right to water and sanitation and acknowledged that clean drinking water and sanitation are essential to the realisation of all human rights. The Resolution calls upon States and international organisations to provide financial resources, help capacity-building and technology transfer to help countries, in particular developing countries, to provide safe, clean, accessible and affordable drinking water and sanitation for all.

In November 2002, the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights adopted General Comment No. 15 on the right to water. Article I.1 states that "The human right to water is indispensable for leading a life in human dignity. It is a prerequisite for the realization of other human rights". Comment No. 15 also defined the right to water as the right of everyone to sufficient, safe, acceptable and physically accessible and affordable water for personal and domestic uses.

Sources: Resolution A/RES/64/292. United Nations General Assembly, July 2010

General Comment No. 15. The right to water. UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, November 2002
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by Carsonv(m): 10:27am On Jun 20, 2013
Where in the world do you get free portable water? Who was asking for free water in Nigeria? We only need portable water! Abi you just wanna hide the gross incompetence of your administration!
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by texanomaly(f): 10:47am On Jun 20, 2013
Lebee4:
pls, where do you work?
how much will it cost the federation to do aa these things.
low budgetry allocations but she still able to cut corners from the little allocation. we pay for water in d 80s n early 90s, where do those money came from? I can never support the FG in anything against our wefare.

I do not support the FG. I should not have posted. I am not Nigerian. If I may, I will say this. I agree that access to potable water is important. In fact, human survival depends on it. My city recently built a new water treatment plant. The plant was built to accommodate less than 300,000 people. The cost to build the plant was in the millions of US dollars. The cost of maintenance runs us hundred of thousands of dollars a year. Now, multiply that number times the number of people in Nigeria.

I do believe it is the job of any government to make sure that it's citizens have potable water. As I stated, survival depends on it. I know however, from the numbers I quoted above, that it is not an inexpensive endeavor. This type of project would cost billions. Given Nigeria's population, who knows how much it would cost. The number of dollars it would take to maintain such facilities is astronomical. Not to mention the cost of building in the first place.

I am not defending this woman, by any means. I'm simply stating a fact. Where will this money come from, if not from the people? We pay taxes here to pay for such. Those who can not pay do receive subsidies from the government. However, our national debt numbers in the trillions. Granted, that number has more to do with wasted spending than legitimate spending, but I hope you see my point. This is a project that needs to happen. Everyone knows this is a necessary project, and certainly are aware that the government should do something about it. This is established. The discussion now should be, how can we accomplish this. If you feel she does not know what she is talking about, by all means, tell her how to do her job. Make sure, however, you can back it up with a plausible, feasible plan of action.
Re: Nigerians Can't Have Free Potable Water- Minister by FBS: 11:22am On Jun 20, 2013
Frank-C:

Where exactly had free portable water in the 70s and 80s? Which year did this free water stop? And which countries provide free portable water for her citizens? I will like to learn...
Switzerland I believe. At least to some extent.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Lied: Arms Export To Nigeria From 1983-1985 Facts And Figures / Nasarawa State Governorship Election / Abuja Bikers Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.