Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria (9520 Views)

7 Problems An SME Or Business Owner In Nigeria Must Plan For / My Experiences As A Start-up Business Owner / Execessive Bank Charges-- Come Vent Your Frustrations! Lets Find A Common Voice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by ibkn(m): 11:29am On May 09, 2008
the very worst people one can trust in this world are nigerians becus they neva keep thier own end of a bargain, always wanting to be smarter and better than you. in english plain dishonesty.
dont get me wrong by thinking am referring to all nigerians but most of them.
also the govt aint making our tasks easier, no light, water etc the usual complains a business man will do so as to evade payment, u kno eating without wanting to pay 4 d food. in dealing with an average nigerian with a proposal to you, kno dat he will want to reap u up in the end,
also lastly if u cannot monitor a business, or you kno its beyondd you like marketing/negotiiiating get someone who can do it for you or donot do it at all,
ciao.
tales from a disillusioned nigerian youth,
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by abujabooks(f): 11:24am On May 14, 2008
@IBKN,

Don't be discouraged.

Be of good cheer.

If you ask people like Richard Branson, he was bankrupt twice. That did not stop him from starting another business venture, he kept on trying until "VIRGIN ATLANTIC" came about.

You win some and you lose some in life.

Yes, people are dishonest but out of weeds, you will find beautiful roses. You just have to keep on looking.

Follow your dreams.

It is not how many times you fall that matters but how many times you rise up again.

You are more than a conqueror in Jesus's name.

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:57pm On May 21, 2008
You can do business with untrustworthy people. You just have to keep your eyes open all the time.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by TouaregV8(m): 6:26am On Jan 02, 2009
Dear ibkn,

I share your concern and dispair with a smile - Yes, our great nation is full of dishonest and untrustworthy characters, BUT we are also blessed with a sizable number of hardworking, honest and trustworthy individuals.  The trick is knowing how to locate them and identify them!

I am a management consultant, based in the UK and Nigeria - www.bqmconsulting.com; It would be a pleasure to talk to you further.

Best regards,

Jimi Ogunnusi
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Toks2008(m): 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2009
Hi Guys,

There are many factors negating against carrying out a smooth business opeartion in this country. Lets leave the factors we already know like inadequate power, declining economy  and security to mention just very few.

What amazes me is that every employee is only looking for A WAY TO ENRICH THENSELVES not caring about the sustainability of the business. That is why you see many failed banks and businesses. My wife operates a supermart and her experience with employees has given me a miniature view of what happens in larger organisations and thid goes to show that if you cannot handle your business yourself, you are bound to close up the business.

Each month she does stock taking, large amount are always misapproprated by her staff. and at a stage, we suggested that she closes down the store since whe is still a student hence no time to stay there yet she  keeps on changing employees as rget always leave after finding out how difficult it is to steal money.

I once had a recharge card distribution outlet but was forced to close it down since employees are always stealing the cards and iy was such a horrible experience for me having invested hundreds of thousands just to recover the money nits by bits and not even making a dime as profit.

In 2001, i rented an office apartment and tushed it up to the tune of 1.3million naira, unfortunately i had an accident which affected my spine. Before i could say jack, all my employees left one after the other never taken it upon themselves to build the business up since i was incapacitated at that point in time. So you see how selfish people can become always thinking of themselves. So while i was reculpirating, the rent was counting until i ended up not using the office.

Talk about government parastatals that refuse to pay contract money and many other examples too numerous to elucidiate upon. This is a DOG eat DOG world, nobody cares for anybody. Its always survival of the fittest. Everyone around you is looking for what to get from you even your wife and children,

So the vfrustration will forever continue, lets just pray that GOD gives each and everyone of us a sustainable means of livelyhood.

Toks

2 Likes

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by oludimuni: 8:37pm On Jan 15, 2009
The effect is the most dangerous thing, most Nigerians are psychically alienated. Nature will balance things soon, dont worry.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by teemy(m): 11:27pm On Jan 22, 2009
One business I learnt how to do well and I do it very well and that is walking. I do not know how I became prosperous at it but when I see another infant trying to start into it, I know I did something a lot back then; I fell a lot many times.

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by uk1: 2:08pm On Jan 26, 2009
ibkn,

i'd like you to be courageous. In life, it takes persistence to excel. The number of times you fall doesn't matter, but your ability to rise again is what counts. As long as you remain focused, dedicated and committed, you will surely get there. I wish you all the best.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by promise72(m): 7:16am On Jan 27, 2009
Lets all face the fact. Its the CULTURE. Most ppl in Nigeria are short sighted. The cant see the big picture. A prosperous business is a thriving employee. But not in Nigeria. With the culture that embraces the adage of "oga ta, oga o ta, Owo alaru ape" What do you expect?

For non-Yoruba speakers, The adage literarily mean, The slave/worker will get paid irrespective of the master's business success. Go figure.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 23, 2009
Inadequate supply of electricity!

Its really affecting a lot of business in Nigeria,

It's really FRUSTRATING!!! embarassed angry
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by DisGuy: 9:39pm On May 23, 2009
lack of broadband!!

another thing is people dont have ways of seeking redress, when someone defualts
theres absolutely not 'easy' way of getting your money back, its either they disappear or just come after your life!
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by promise72(m): 10:48pm On May 23, 2009
Dis Guy:

lack of broadband!!

another thing is people dont have ways of seeking redress, when someone defualts
theres absolutely not 'easy' way of getting your money back, its either they disappear or just come after your life!

After your life tho?

Seriously or just a word play?
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by DisGuy: 10:52pm On May 23, 2009
oh boy, when someone that owes you money get police to arrest you then you know you are in nigeria!
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by promise72(m): 11:23pm On May 23, 2009
Dis Guy:

oh boy, when someone that owes you money get police to arrest you then you know you are in nigeria!

Naija for show! grin

Na wa o!
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 11:26am On May 26, 2009
Doing biz in 9ja is really very difficult.I give it up for those traders.
U cant be a gentleman or civil at all,u must be an agbero and rough to be able to succed.so sad.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by onyx20: 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2009
Let me quickly make my comment on this thread as it has been eluding me 4 sometime. I cannot agree more with most of my fellow nairalanders on this forum about issues they raised that really really thwarts business owners in Nigeria.We(diasporans) feel ur pain & dissapointment as we are all in this oblique boat together.
l do honestly believe that these aforesaid problems are the handiwork of the GOVERNMENT who is the creator of this burden that we all share today. Government need 2 do more to tackle these probblems & also 2 show more interest in this sector as it has great potential of turning our Economy around. These businesses we neglet 2day could be our Economy backbone(post crude era) 2morrow.
, GOD BLESS OUR GREAT COUNTRY NIGERIA,
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by damola1: 11:08pm On Jun 21, 2009
Crappy, hukpish, Rubbish,

I have been swindled 3 times, big bucks,  and all are not from Nigerians but AMericans!!!!

Like Seun interestingly said above,  You can do business with anyone as long as you obey the rules,  the #1 in my book for any form of business or investment is security for thy capital,

So chill, not a Nigerian thing,  might be more rampant though,  but still, it's the market MTN is making money, GLO is glowing with pride, banks are getting bigger and fatter, its the same market, pure water sellers have maintained sales for over a decade,  abokis have established their 25litres water business, Park 'n' shop has established, in the same market,

Abegi,  na d same market I go chop, smile, laugh,
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by rtforex: 7:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
Life and business cannot be separated.So in every situation all you can do is never give up.That was what helped me through my own career as a forex trader when my trading then was going against my hope.But thank God I have overcome.I now make above 40% monthly
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2009
Most of these frustrations exist elsewhere. I think Nigeria is fertile ground for good business, since exposure is very thing on the ground, and little or no regulation exists.
The issue with Nigerian business is the lack of co-operation. Look at Asians in the UK for example. Nigerians should also endeavour to team up and work together. Everybody is always trying to eucher the next person, because that's the level of sophistication that we have just now.
A good example of how good business can be done is the music and entertainment industry in Nigeria. I mean, look at the Mo Hits guys, Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, D'Banj, etc. A brilliant combination of local/foreign money, local talent, and the know-how of how things are done elsewhere, creating solid products.
In a typical Naija approach, Don Jazzy would only want to release albums for his pallies and girlfriends, regardless of whether the stuff sells or not. He would now be constrained to whatever they can sing, and that is what filters out to the general public.
Now these artists are doing collabos, etc, supporting each other. Or did you guys think Sean Paul and Rihanna are best of pals? Not necessarily. The producers of both acts would typically recognise that these are the guys people want to listen to, and bring them together. More money for everybody. Bring in sharp lawyers to draw up solid contracts. End of story.

We have to learn how to collaborate without trying to swindle each other (most times crudely).

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by zerotohero: 6:41pm On Jun 25, 2009
My contribution is try to look before you leap brother
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by nuclearboy(m): 6:40am On Jun 28, 2009
One absolutely sharp person asked (in the Bible) who would go to war or build a house without first counting the cost so that he wouldn't get to a point and be unable to continue.

Naija is tough only for those who don't have the solution in them, either due to fear or ignorance. Let me explain -- Take any business and imagine that you have a national market of 140 Million people. What proportion of that do you need to do well? When I started my ice-block biz (building machines AND ALSO selling ice a few years ago), I made up my mind to [1] produce the most efficient dependable machines around. I applied my university degree into a field populated mainly by semi-literate technicians and not only caught up with them but left them behind eons ago. They build beautiful useless furniture because people are visually affected. I build ugly machines which remind you to get to work and make money. [2] produce the hardest, coldest ice around. Same thing. All I need now is a quarter to half the time they need to get ice whose quality many find difficult to believe.

The truth is that such takes a lot: absolute dedication, bloody hard work and 100% deafness and dumbness. I remember people would laugh at this Computer Science degree holder cos he was wet, dirty and even learning (then) how to weld. No longer do they snigger. Rather, many gape when they observe whats on ground. It took 2 and a half years but lets remember William (Bill) Gates was once considered a dropout (I can't remember anyone using that as a title for him anymore). Naijas will make fun of you at the start then praise you at the end. From "Lazy idiot -is that what his mates are doing, . . . . TO I KNEW THE GUY IS BRILLIANT AND THAT HE HAD A PLAN ALL ALONG". 1 percent of 1 percent of Nigerians each giving any of us 10 Naira daily adds up to a reasonable measure of comfort which scarcely any can boast of. Plus its all on your own time! You decide when, how and where. And have a right to continue expanding till you become Dangote or go easy.

A day will come when someone (or group of such) will look at Lagos, ask the govt to allow them build a 6 lane bridge from Isolo to Lekki and erect toll gates to collect toll for 20 years. I suspect Lagos will agree. Another will Build a power station for himself then start to sell and expand till he/she generates and sells say 1, 000 MVA. Others will see and follow suit and thus will Naija develop.

Waiting for the government is a waste of time. America was built to todays standards by private enterprise. Thats why you'll find dozens of types of bread on supermart shelves - because of competition each striving for a target audience/market share. Here, its just Agege bread.

Conquer yourselves and then the environment - The same book that asked my question above also tells us we were given the right to GO, SUBDUE THE EARTH AND ETC ETC ETC,

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by tmustmk: 9:44pm On Jun 29, 2009
ibkn:

the very worst people one can trust in this world are nigerians becus they neva keep thier own end of a bargain, always wanting to be smarter and better than you. in english plain dishonesty.
dont get me wrong by thinking am referring to all nigerians but most of them.
also the govt aint making our tasks easier, no light, water etc the usual complains a business man will do so as to evade payment, u kno eating without wanting to pay 4 d food. in dealing with an average nigerian with a proposal to you, kno dat he will want to reap u up in the end,
also lastly if u cannot monitor a business, or you kno its beyondd you like marketing/negotiiiating get someone who can do it for you or donot do it at all,
ciao.
tales from a disillusioned nigerian youth,

tales from a disillusioned nigerian youth --

sounds more like a muddle headed Nigerian youth to me. Whatever happened to Optimism! If only more of us can turn the Adversities into Advantages.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by frdolaclub(m): 8:00pm On Jun 30, 2009
Life is not a bed of roses, the moment anyone is looking at the negativity of any situation. Your mind will be programmed to think negativity which will affect your morale.

Please, see the positive side of life and see what you can do for yourself.

Stay inspired.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2009
Dont trust any1 doing business in 9ja. You are faced with lots of obstacle
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by 3kings: 3:43am On Jul 03, 2009
@poster

niaja is the best place to do biz it all depends on WHAT U SEE - UR ATTITUDE
rite on this thread i saw what can be done from this thread, so BE PREPARED TO SEE POSSSIBILITIES -UV HEARD OF God can embarrass u? i think i have seen that in niaja!

ciao
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by iice(f): 9:25am On Jul 03, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Most of these frustrations exist elsewhere. I think Nigeria is fertile ground for good business, since exposure is very thing on the ground, and little or no regulation exists.
The issue with Nigerian business is the lack of co-operation. Look at Asians in the UK for example. Nigerians should also endeavour to team up and work together. Everybody is always trying to eucher the next person, because that's the level of sophistication that we have just now.
A good example of how good business can be done is the music and entertainment industry in Nigeria. I mean, look at the Mo Hits guys, Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, D'Banj, etc. A brilliant combination of local/foreign money, local talent, and the know-how of how things are done elsewhere, creating solid products.
In a typical Naija approach, Don Jazzy would only want to release albums for his pallies and girlfriends, regardless of whether the stuff sells or not. He would now be constrained to whatever they can sing, and that is what filters out to the general public.
Now these artists are doing collabos, etc, supporting each other. Or did you guys think Sean Paul and Rihanna are best of pals? Not necessarily. The producers of both acts would typically recognise that these are the guys people want to listen to, and bring them together. More money for everybody. Bring in sharp lawyers to draw up solid contracts. End of story.

We have to learn how to collaborate without trying to swindle each other (most times crudely).

So true.

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Nezan(m): 9:52am On Jul 03, 2009
sley4life:

Dont trust any1 doing business in 9ja. You are faced with lots of obstacle
grin
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by itumama: 10:13am On Jul 03, 2009
Inadequate infrastructural or social amenities,polictical instability and lack of true enterpreneurship are the main causes of business fustration in Nigeria and is better we take prompt attention to this problems before it get out of hand.
Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by zenatta: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2009
Only yesterday I was ruminating on how wealthly yours truly would be if I could have some honest business partners; small businesss of N250,000-N500,000.What would it be like, I mused, if I had someone running the business honestly; I will provide capital and infra-structure. The profits would be divided 50/50 and at the end of a financial year, I would set this partner up as long as He replaced himself with someone honest too., so the beat goes on. Ha! might as well wish for the olde country Timbucktu or Dahomey!

1 Like

Re: Frustrations Of A Business Owner In Nigeria by Litmus: 2:46pm On Jul 03, 2009
nuclearboy (m)

One absolutely sharp person asked (in the Bible) who would go to war or build a house without first counting the cost so that he wouldn't get to a point and be unable to continue.

Naija is tough only for those who don't have the solution in them, either due to fear or ignorance. Let me explain -- Take any business and imagine that you have a national market of 140 Million people. What proportion of that do you need to do well? When I started my ice-block biz (building machines AND ALSO selling ice a few years ago), I made up my mind to [1] produce the most efficient dependable machines around. I applied my university degree into a field populated mainly by semi-literate technicians and not only caught up with them but left them behind eons ago. They build beautiful useless furniture because people are visually affected. I build ugly machines which remind you to get to work and make money. [2] produce the hardest, coldest ice around. Same thing. All I need now is a quarter to half the time they need to get ice whose quality many find difficult to believe.

The truth is that such takes a lot: absolute dedication, bloody hard work and 100% deafness and dumbness. I remember people would laugh at this Computer Science degree holder cos he was wet, dirty and even learning (then) how to weld. No longer do they snigger. Rather, many gape when they observe whats on ground. It took 2 and a half years but lets remember William (Bill) Gates  was once considered a dropout (I can't remember anyone using that as a title for him anymore). Naijas will make fun of you at the start then praise you at the end. From "Lazy idiot -is that what his mates are doing,  . . . .  TO  I KNEW THE GUY IS BRILLIANT AND THAT HE HAD A PLAN ALL ALONG". 1 percent of 1 percent of Nigerians each giving any of us 10 Naira daily adds up to a reasonable measure of comfort which scarcely any can boast of. Plus its all on your own time! You decide when, how and where. And have a right to continue expanding till you become Dangote or go easy.

A day will come when someone (or group of such) will look at Lagos, ask the govt to allow them build a 6 lane bridge from Isolo to Lekki and erect toll gates to collect toll for 20 years. I suspect Lagos will agree. Another will Build a power station for himself then start to sell and expand till he/she generates and sells say 1, 000 MVA. Others will see and follow suit and thus will Naija develop.

Waiting for the government is a waste of time. America was built to todays standards by private enterprise. Thats why you'll find dozens of types of bread on supermart shelves - because of competition each striving for a target audience/market share. Here, its just Agege bread.

Conquer yourselves and then  the environment - The same book that asked my question above also tells us we were given the right to GO, SUBDUE THE EARTH AND ETC ETC ETC,

Very uplifting,  hope your business goes from strength to strength, sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Hours Light/Power Does PHCN Supply Your Area? / How To Make Money Using Facebook / Nigeria's Inflation Rate Rises Less Than Forecast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.