Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell (14313 Views)

Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) / Soyinka: The Chauvinist Bitterness For The Empowerment Of Women In Nigeria / Wole Soyinka: The Next Phase Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by PointB: 6:17pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If WS speaks without "truly communicating", how come you say there is an outburst in in this essay? Be logical.

Matters arising from the article?

1. Who were WS referring to? Who are the self-righteous clerics, who so provoked WS?
2. In which way, or word was he provoked, necessitating this outburst?
3. What is the big deal if he was asked why he did not attend his friend funeral? Is he too big, or too intelligent to attend or be queried?
4. What reasons did he give, other than saying it's his business whether he attends or not?
5. He said he doesn't 'pander to the expectations of the sanctimonious', couldn't he have made his point without being sanctimonious himself?
6. What was the central message of WS 1,563 words that could not be said in fewer less calmer tone befitting of his status?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
abu12: @ One_Naira, that is your own assumption since most of the accusation you stated can not be verify. you should be the one to read between the lines

my own assumption. WS said, CA said "just because someone won the noble prize does not make the person 'asiwaju' of literature". A statement that is just found only in WS story telling. Am i lying or not?

second part in regarding this article
never mind i just read past the accusation and it's misunderstanding on my part. the accusation was on CA cheif title members, not CA per se. what I'm phasing out still stands though. it's a wild accusation against whoever those men were.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
Crayola1:

Oh my God shut up, you sniveling bastard. You have nothing in your own life to be proud of so you ape others accomplishments. If Soyinka named a new book Untitled your stup1d behind would think its unique too.

My wife, you are so feisty. So, when will I get my title as the father of all your babies?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jun 20, 2013
PointB:

Matters arising from the article?

1. Who were WS referring to? Who are the self-righteous clerics, who so provoked WS?
2. In which way, or word was he provoked, necessitating this outburst?
3. What is the big deal if he was asked why he did not attend his friend funeral? Is he too big, or too intelligent to attend or be queried?
4. What reasons did he give, other than saying it's his business whether he attends or not?
5. He said he doesn't 'pander to the expectations of the sanctimonious', couldn't he have made his point without being sanctimonious himself?
6. What was the central message of WS 1,563 words that could not be said in fewer less calmer tone befitting of his status?
Read and digest WS.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Malawian(m): 9:00pm On Jun 20, 2013
soyinka is such a smaaaaaall maaan. and this guy is meant to be standing over 6 fts.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by emmatok(m): 10:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
PointB:

Going to pay last respect to his friend, despite what people might say would have definitely been much better than the long essay written to defend the reason he didn't go. Reasons, which of course he failed to state.

I personally don't see the need for this epistle. He didn't go to pay final respect to a friend, and critics latched on it, wouldn't it have been more dignifying for the erudite professor to maintain a golden silence? What purpose does this angry rant serve? To fuel further bad blood?

I thought you claimed WS wasn't TRULY COMMUNICATING, yet you made this comment.

Why are CA people pretending not to understand the article.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by AbdH: 10:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
Malawian:
soyinka is such a smaaaaaall maaan. and this guy is meant to be standing over 6 fts.
He is a small man but well known around the world but you are the big man who is sadly obscure to all.
It is really sad that people can reduce themselves to insulting men who have elevated this nation in their various fields.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by EkoIle1: 12:43am On Jun 21, 2013
Jenams: ''AS A TEACHER'', I lament YOUR
failure to use the opportunity of the
passing of a revered writer to turn YOUR
younger generation in enlightened
directions. YOU have chosen instead to
coarsen their sensibilities and breed in
their minds misunderstanding, suspicion
and above all – hate!
YOU will have understood by now how I
have come to view YOU as no different
from the homicidal clerics who arm
youths with kerosene and match, cudgel
and knife, a few Naira in their beggars’
bowls, and dispatch them to set fire to
structures of comradely cohabitation, of
reflection, of mind enlargement, and
destroy communities of learning.

Unfortunately for you and CA, CA obviously did not use his influence to unite or enlighten any young generation, infact he did the opposite with his hate and bigotry filed book, he reopened old wounds and trashed all our gains since the civil war.

This is not ancient history, it happened just a few months ago...CA was very distinctive till his last breath.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by PhysicsQED(m): 1:25am On Jun 21, 2013
One Naira: wow. it's official WS is just like his people. A tribal, hate filled mongrel. Chinua Achebe dies, unable to.defend himself, and Wole Soyinka took the opportunity to make wild accusation about the man. Pretended to be his friend all this years. He waited till the man dies, and then unleashed his bigotry hatefilled mind. I'm trying to phatom why the heck will you smile, called a man your bestfriend, my brother, etc when the man is still alive and then do a complete 360 when he dies. in my opinion that's the major definition of cowardly. here i thought WS was different from the rest of his people. At least now, we know. dem all the same. Instead of him wasting his time yarning rubbish everywhere, maybe he should focus on his barely selling books. spare us jor with the tales that CA jealoused your award. a tae that we can't find anything else to verify it to another take that CA saw him as an enemy. another tale that nothing ,other than WS saying it, verfies. one more thing i forgot to add, a man that is secure with himself and truly believe insult giving to him are not accurate representation of himself does not waste his time writing long but boring articles to defend himself against those he believe are not in his level. Take a close look at CA reaction with your people barade of insult from his last book and learn from it.

kinda glad i didn't finish reading this. the little i read was a waste. WS thank you for continuing showing your true colors. At least we know who you ae now. I'm glad you let the facade fall.

This will be the second time now that you are claiming that the quote from Achebe (the "Asiwaju" statement) that Soyinka mentioned in that interview from a few weeks ago is a false or made up statement that no one can verify. So I might as well set the record straight:

"The interviewer insisted on obtaining Achebe's view concerning remarks in several Lagos-Ibadan newspapers that he was neither a relevant nor an effective writer since he was not awarded the Nobel Prize in 1986. Achebe had to contextualize the issue in a way that would educate and inform.

My position is that the Nobel Prize is important. But it is a European prize. It's not an African prize. It's not a Nigerian prize. Those who give it, Europeans who give it are not responsible to us. You can't go and ask them, "why are you not giving it to so, so and so?" It is not your prize. They have reasons for setting it up. They have their rules for determining who should get it. And so what we should be saying is: 'Okay we are happy they have given one of us their prize'. But to go from there to say, 'Ah now this is the Ashiwaju of African literature', is so absurd. Now, that is something I would like to take on sometime and explain, that a European prize does not make anybody the Ashiwaju of Nigerian literature."

You can find what I quoted immediately above on pp. 263-264 of the book Chinua Achebe: A Biography (1997) by Ezenwa Ohaeto. That quote above from Achebe is originally from an interview that Chinua Achebe gave two years after Soyinka won the Nobel prize and the author of that biography, Ezenwa Ohaeto, a former student of Achebe's, was a poet and a professor of literature who wrote one of the first biographies of Achebe.

I'm not sure why you are denying that that quote from Achebe really existed. From some of your past posts, it's clear that you're competent at searching for quotes online, so it's surprising that you didn't already come across it in other sources if you actually made even a halfhearted effort to look for it. Even if one couldn't find the full quote in an official source (an authorized biography), as I did, there are still multiple publications from the 80s and the 90s which one can easily find which reference this quote by Achebe.

When he originally caught wind of the statement, Soyinka commented on the statement in a lighthearted manner, saying that he was not interested in being the "Asiwaju" of Nigerian literature, but that he was trying to be the "Ogbuefi" of Nigerian literature. Regardless of how one wants to interpret Achebe's "Ashiwaju" statement, he did indeed make the statement. However, they clearly seemed to be on friendly terms (I don't claim, like some people, to know much of anything about the specifics of their relationship, but that's just what I can tell from my observations from a distance) and they showed up together at multiple events after this "Ashiwaju" vs "Ogbuefi" back and forth. In fact at one event, Soyinka presented an award to Achebe that a certain organization (the African Overseas Union) had given Achebe in honor of his work.

Now regarding the quote itself: In the process of defending himself from undeserved attacks on his achievements as a writer, Achebe made a comment about whether the Nobel prize really made a person the "Ashiwaju" (leader) of Nigerian literature. From what I've read, this "Ashiwaju" comment was seen by some people back then as unfortunate and something that could be interpreted as negative toward Soyinka, but in the context that it was made, it seems much more likely to me that it was meant mostly as a criticism of the idea that a prize determined by and awarded by European writers could make a person the real "leader" of African literature, and not meant as a real insult to Soyinka (who Achebe had congratulated two years earlier when he won the prize). One can see that Achebe's quote is much more about there being a need not to assess African writers merely by the tastes and opinions of European critics and judges, rather than anything else. Similarly, Soyinka's statement from a few weeks ago (when the interviewer pressed him about the issue) about Achebe not being the "father" of modern African literature and there being no one father of modern African literature is not out of resentment of Achebe, but just how he sees things from his perspective as a prominent writer in his own right from the same generation.

Achebe felt that having a prize conferred on a Nigerian writer (Soyinka) by a European academy - even if it was an important prize, as he acknowledged - did not automatically make that person the leader (Ashiwaju) of Nigerian or African literature. Soyinka felt that having the title of "father of modern African literature" bestowed upon a writer (Achebe) by another prominent writer (Gordimer) did not make that claim automatically true and he felt that there was no one "father" of modern African literature. Yet writers in newspapers back then went on to speculate that Achebe's 1988 comment was born out of jealousy, bias or spite, rather than it simply meaning what it said and now people on the internet are trying to make Soyinka's comment from a few weeks ago into something rooted in jealousy, bias or spite, when it's clear that in both cases they really meant what they said and that these statements were not intended as attacks on the worth or achievements of the other writer. Achebe didn't see Soyinka as the leader of Nigerian literature just because he won the Nobel prize, and Soyinka didn't see Achebe as the "father of modern African literature" - which he clearly thinks has no one father - just because Gordimer said that it was so. This doesn't mean that either one of them was "jealous" or out to attack or denigrate the other - it's just how they saw things from their perspective. Take off the ethnic jingoist glasses, approach what these writers said with some degree of maturity, objectivity and some attempt at understanding nuances and maybe you'll better understand what both of these writers (Soyinka and Achebe) were saying. The real world is not NL, and not every interaction between people from another ethnic group and a person from your ethnic group is a chance to prove your valor as an ethnic defender or ethnic chauvinist. Sometimes, it is an opportunity for you to actually think. There might be important non-ethnic issues that these thinkers may have strong opinions about - such as whether Africans should think that a writer was the leader of African literature because he won a prize conferred by a European academy, or whether it actually made sense to consider a writer the "father" of a subject that may have had no one real parent.

Now I don't particularly care much about the Soyinka vs. Achebe stuff that's been going on on this forum for a few weeks now, but I decided to post that quote (which isn't even that hard to find) because you have made it a point to repeatedly attempt to impugn Soyinka's integrity on that Nobel prize/Ashiwaju quote of Achebe's because of your own laziness. It's far too easy to look for proof that a quote actually exists before rushing to accuse someone (Soyinka) of being a liar, yet you refused to expend even the slightest effort to do this. If you just don't like Soyinka because you're from an apparent "rival" ethnic group to his own, then I wouldn't even care, since that's just how you choose to see things, but stop trying to promote this idea of yours that Soyinka told or repeated a lie against Achebe after Achebe passed away by mentioning the Asiwaju quote as it it were unverified or false when the Ashiwaju quote is completely authentic. Just stop being lazy and make use of your brain.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by InvertedHammer: 5:20am On Jun 21, 2013
/

Na guilty conscience dey worry Mr.Soyinka.

Medicine after death.

Out of jealousy, he used jazz/otumokpo to set road accident for Chinua.

Usually one is not expected to see the corpse of someone he/she intended to or may have killed.

So Wole Soyinka did not attend so that he would not see Chinua's corpse.

He really thinks he is smart.

And people think there is only beefs in hip hop...No! Even in literary world.

Only a coward would wait for someone's demise to call them out.

If you got something to say, say it when the man was still alive so that he could rebut the opinion therein stated.

//
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by InvertedHammer: 5:36am On Jun 21, 2013
/
If choice of big vocabularies to lose the audience is a mark of intellectualism, then WS is so many levels less complex than Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon. I don't see what's the big deal.

CA died and was buried. WS grabbed his dictionary, copied and churned out all the BS that later found its way to a few of the media houses that pander to his grandiose delusions. Impressive? Naaa!

WS should go siddon jare!

//
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by PhysicsQED(m): 7:13am On Jun 21, 2013
One Naira, you might really be much lazier than I thought you were. The solution here is not to start Google searching like a madman and taking random screenshots, but to go and actually pick up the book that I cited from a library. Then you would see the source of the quote and you would realize that while the quote itself is definitely in the book, the quote does not even originate from that book but from an interview that Achebe did indeed give in 1988.

The quote is from a magazine called Quality and the name of Achebe's interviewer was Onuora Udenwa. The quote is from 1988 and yes it exists because he made the statement. The problem is that you're so lazy and ill-informed that you think that every publication ever made has been digitized and put on the internet so you think you can find everything by searching on sites like Google or wikipedia.

I've quoted statements from old publications which one absolutely cannot find the quotes from through Google books or jstor or other online sources many times - that doesn't mean that the quotes don't exist! It means the person I'm discussing something with has to go to and actually check the source if he (for some reason or another) doesn't believe me. Not every academic journal article is online and not every quote from a book can be found on Google books! Similarly not every article from every single journal, book, or magazine published in west Africa or elsewhere has been digitized and made easily available for your convenience. This concept is so elementary that I shouldn't even have to explain it and it's a bit annoying that I even had to do so.

Now to rehash what I stated above, Ezenwa Ohaeto was a former student of Achebe's, a literature professor, and a great admirer of Achebe's and he sought authorization from Achebe to even produce that biography, so it would make no sense to think that he cooked up the quote. But more relevantly, he was also a proper academic, and when writing a detailed biography, he cited sources for his quotes just as any proper academic would. This is the source for the quote, as given by Ohaeto:

Onuora Udenwa, 'The Nobel is not an African Prize - Chinua Achebe', Quality, 3 November 1988

So there you have the name of the interviewer (Udenwa), the title of the interview as given in the magazine, the name of the magazine (Quality), and the exact date (November 3, 1988) of the publication. You can find this source given on p. 302 of Ohaeto's book. Now since I think that professor Ohaeto was able to provide the quote as it was stated in the interview, I'm fine with quoting from that biography, and I don't intend to track down that issue of that old magazine, scan the pages, and upload them to the internet just for this worthless argument with you. However, if you still have issues (because you couldn't easily find the quote after multiple Google searches) what you need to do is get off the internet immediately (instead of thinking that engaging in more and more "Googling" will get you the answer) and actually start trying to track down that issue of the magazine (in either a university archive or library, if it is kept there, or directly from the owners of that former magazine, if they have it in their archives).

And if the authors of Achebe's wikipedia article who relied heavily on Ohaeto's book for much of their other information didn't care to provide the entire Ashiwaju quote from p. 264 of Ohaeto's book, then that's not my problem because I'm not the one dumb enough to think that every single bit of information in books that are cited in wikipedia articles is actually reproduced in and always quoted in full in those same articles. Ohaeto's book is 300+ pages. Should or could the wikipediaists who put together Achebe's wikipedia article even have included every single detail mentioned in Ohaeto's biography when putting together a general encyclopedia style article? No. I don't even know why you would doubt the existence of the quote. It's not even anything outlandish or very controversial - it's just an opinion, plainly and honestly stated - that winning the Nobel doesn't automatically make one the leader of African or Nigerian literature, and I doubt that the basic idea of the quote is anything that other people haven't expressed before, anyway.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 21, 2013
@PhysicsQED,

Your contribution, which highlights the attitude of CA and WS towards the use of certain descriptors, is both balanced and fair, in my opinion.

Ezenwa-Ohaeto. (1997). Chinua Achebe: A Biography. James Currey Publishers.

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 21, 2013
Malawian: soyinka is such a smaaaaaall maaan. and this guy is meant to be standing over 6 fts.
Imagine the rubbish you're posting. You're really a Malawian.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 7:52am On Jun 21, 2013
PhysicsQED: One Naira, you might really be much lazier than I thought you were. The solution here is not to start Google searching like a madman and taking random screenshots, but to go and actually pick up the book that I cited from a library. Then you would see the source of the quote and you would realize that while the quote itself is definitely in the book, the quote does not even originate from that book but from an interview that Achebe did indeed give in 1988.

The quote is from a magazine called Quality and the name of Achebe's interviewer was Onuora Udenwa. The quote is from 1988 and yes it exists because he made the statement. The problem is that you're so lazy and ill-informed that you think that every publication ever made has been digitized and put on the internet so you think you can find everything by searching on sites like Google or wikipedia.

I've quoted statements from old publications which one absolutely cannot find the quotes from through Google books or jstor or other online sources many times - that doesn't mean that the quotes don't exist! It means the person I'm discussing something with has to go to and actually check the source if he (for some reason or another) doesn't believe me. Not every academic journal article is online and not every quote from a book can be found on Google books! Similarly not every article from every single journal, book, or magazine published in west Africa or elsewhere has been digitized and made easily available for your convenience. This concept is so elementary that I shouldn't even have to explain it and it's a bit annoying that I even had to do so.

Now to rehash what I stated above, Ezenwa Ohaeto was a former student of Achebe's, a literature professor, and a great admirer of Achebe's and he sought authorization from Achebe to even produce that biography, so it would make no sense to think that he cooked up the quote. But more relevantly, he was also a proper academic, and when writing a detailed biography, he cited sources for his quotes just as any proper academic would. This is the source for the quote, as given by Ohaeto:

Onuora Udenwa, 'The Nobel is not an African Prize - Chinua Achebe', Quality, 3 November 1988

So there you have the name of the interviewer (Udenwa), the title of the interview as given in the magazine, the name of the magazine (Quality), and the exact date (November 3, 1988) of the publication. You can find this source given on p. 302 of Ohaeto's book. Now since I think that professor Ohaeto was able to provide the quote as it was stated in the interview, I'm fine with quoting from that biography, and I don't intend to track down that issue of that old magazine, scan the pages, and upload them to the internet just for this worthless argument with you. However, if you still have issues (because you couldn't easily find the quote after multiple Google searches) what you need to do is get off the internet immediately (instead of thinking that engaging in more and more "Googling" will get you the answer) and actually start trying to track down that issue of the magazine (in either a university archive or library, if it is kept there, or directly from the owners of that former magazine, if they have it in their archives).

And if the authors of Achebe's wikipedia article who relied heavily on Ohaeto's book for much of their other information didn't care to provide the entire Ashiwaju quote from p. 264 of Ohaeto's book, then that's not my problem because I'm not the one dumb enough to think that every single bit of information in books that are cited in wikipedia articles is actually reproduced in and always quoted in full in those same articles. Ohaeto's book is 300+ pages. Should or could the wikipediaists who put together Achebe's wikipedia article even have included every single detail mentioned in Ohaeto's biography when putting together a general encyclopedia style article? No. I don't even know why you would doubt the existence of the quote. It's not even anything outlandish or very controversial - it's just an opinion, plainly and honestly stated - that winning the Nobel doesn't automatically make one the leader of African or Nigerian literature, and I doubt that the basic idea of the quote is anything that other people haven't expressed before, anyway.

The problem with you is you pick what it is you wish to read and not bothering to pay attention to what it is you read. First you accused me of not researching the quote, despite the fact I mentioned I have researched the quote on multiple occasion, and when corrected and also informing you specifically, I'll purchase the said book you quoted and I'll research that specific page, you disregarded that specific part of the post and jump on the fact, I listed websites I As if the quote is the reason I listed those website as oppose to your silly accusation that I didnot research the comment before declaring it false. Ignorance I say. You preach but don't practice what is you preach. Once more as I stated, I find that despicable. Accusing someone of being lazy, yet displaying a lazy attitude of grasping what it is you read. If you have questions, the little or best you can do is ask. If you going to preach something, practice what it is you f2king preach.

As for the wikipedia post, the website listed every opinion about noble prize CA had as well as his rejoice for WS when he won the said award. I find it ironic the said website which is a clear attack on WS award is disregarded but hey, like my post implied but obviously went through your head, until I can get my hands on that book, I cannot fight you per ser on what it is the said book says neither am I obliged to believe what you said it says. If your @ss cannot understand the concept why I kept mentioning, "I'll buy that book to verify this sh1t". I've been on this website and viewed people made up comments on what a specific book says, people holding onto the said comment until another member with access to the same book defaults it therefore I don't take your word for it. If you can't understand that clear statement then that's on you.

By the way, most controversial interview as well as a statement made by someone as popular as CA usually are digital. Why you felt the need to inform me that books are not usually digital is mere "like duh?" reply. In what way, did I say they were? Since implication does not work for you, let me say it directly maybe then you can grasp it. I find it Ironic that of all this years, of all the comparison between CA and WS all this years, all the interview between the two in all this years, none ever mentioned the said quote until recently in this year. A supposed controversial insult hidden for so many years until he, WS, mentioned it. Interesting. Anyway, once my hand is on the said book then I can counter act everything you said or accept everything you say.

I doubt the existence of the exact quote because that said quote is an insult to another man's achievement and I doubt CA would result to that mere attack. If you have different opinion about what the statement implies, then that's on you. I don't have to have the exact same opinion as you.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 21, 2013
[quote author=One_Naira]

Interesting enough you yarn all this rubbish and still did not provide a link that went straight to CA interview where he mentioned the so called statement. All you link up is a "supposed" quote from a book, not by Chinua Achebe, but my another author. one of the books a person cannot find free reading access to online. interesting enough. You probably think I'm one of those that just take people words on this type of things. You honestly believe i'll take your word for it. Is it not the same way ola johnson made up a statement and quoted it as part of an author's book. Ironically, one member actually have the said book and waited for the guy to point it out where the exact quote came from. I did get the quote from the said book which ACM10 claimed he had. I gave him a clue on how to get the page(s) where the quote is. He was expecting me to give him the exact page(s), which I felt would mean spoon feeding him. I rather gave him the pages of the same quote in another book since he was "lazy" to do the research on getting the same quote from the earlier book.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 8:20am On Jun 21, 2013
eGuerrilla: @PhysicsQED,

Your contribution, which highlights the attitude of CA and WS towards the use of certain descriptors, is both balanced and fair, in my opinion.

Ezenwa-Ohaeto. (1997). Chinua Achebe: A Biography. James Currey Publishers.

Now this is what I asked for. Shikena!!
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by OneNaira6: 8:31am On Jun 21, 2013
[quote author=Ola Johnson][/quote]

Dude spare with all that. I watched carefully your interaction with ACM10. Just because I didn't join the argument does not mean I didn't bother to read what was going on. In your range of insults, I watched you make a statement and applied to a specific book by a specific author. ACM10 ironically had the exact book and asked you to tell him where it is you got that statement from. He quoted a statement on the said book that in fact contradicts what it is you said so first you insulted him, but when he continued asking and was very persistent, other's joined and ridiculed you. Unable to defend yourself nor provide the information the man asked for, that's when you provided a totally different book (in which he has no access to), different author, a page and then another statement. Which brought ACM10 to say something along the line of if he bought the other book, your comment probably isn't on it. So dude spare me. One thing I am good at is remembering things I read, I am not good with names but I am good with people's comments/opinions.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Akanbiedu(m): 8:36am On Jun 21, 2013

[size=15pt]Like emotional parasites, YOU feed off others, but YOU have never learnt to value what others give, or be thereby nourished. I recognize YOU, atavistic minds. Don't inseminate hate against those whom YOUR pedestrian vision cannot see.[/size]

DAMN!!!
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 21, 2013
One_Naira:

Dude spare with all that. I watched carefully your interaction with ACM10. Just because I didn't join the argument does not mean I didn't bother to read what was going on. In your range of insults, I watched you make a statement and applied to a specific book by a specific author. ACM10 ironically had the exact book and asked you to tell him where it is you got that statement from. He quoted a statement on the said book that in fact contradicts what it is you said so first you insulted him, but when he continued asking and was very persistent, other's joined and ridiculed you. Unable to defend yourself nor provide the information the man asked for, that's when you provided a totally different book (in which he has no access to), different author, a page and then another statement. Which brought ACM10 to say something along the line of if he bought the other book, your comment probably isn't on it. So dude spare me. One thing I am good at is remembering things I read, I am not good with names but I am good with people's comments/opinions.
Have you found out from ACM10 if he has gotten the quote and even the book I referred him to?
I'm not here to enter any argument with you because you already have a made-up mind.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 21, 2013
One_Naira:

Have you found out from ACM10 if he has gotten the quote and even the book I referred him to?
I'm not here to enter any argument with you because you already have a made-up mind.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by PhysicsQED(m): 9:25am On Jun 21, 2013
One Naira, you say that before I called you lazy, you had already stated multiple times that you "researched intensively on it on everywhere I can think of." I don't follow your posts, so could you actually refer me to the posts from before my "lazy" criticism of you (my first post in this thread) where you mentioned your intensive search? If you did state that you had researched it intensively before I called you lazy, I will apologize for my insults. I just went through several pages of your post history again, but apart from your first comment in this thread, these are the only posts about the Ashiwaju quote from you that I saw and they are all from the Soyinka interview thread where you first stated your opinion of Soyinka's mention of it, but maybe you stated this intensive search stuff elsewhere or I missed it when looking through your post history:

One Naira: interesting enough I googled this exact word and excluding you and others that claimed CA said such on NL. one commentor mentioned it on saharareport, nowhere else seem to have such word. therefore, any link to support your accusation against CA

https://www.nairaland.com/1294694/wole-soyinkas-interview-chinua-achebe/18#15805258

One Naira: WS said it and we have nothing else to verify CA actually said it. again such a shame WS is descending so low. not only is he jealous of his colleague, he is also accusing his colleague wrongfully. smh. so disappointed today.

if you have link that verify CA said then we'll accept it. thus far, google can't find any

https://www.nairaland.com/1294694/wole-soyinkas-interview-chinua-achebe/18#15805300

One Naira: Anyway, back to what I was saying, second accusing CA of a comment against WS that cannot be verified and it's not found anywhere else except on WS comment

https://www.nairaland.com/1294694/wole-soyinkas-interview-chinua-achebe/27#15877540

All I can see there is your claim that you checked for it on google, which I was already aware of as this was contained in your first mention of the Asiwaju quote in the Soyinka interview thread that I referenced earlier in this thread. Was there some other thread (besides the Soyinka interview thread) where you mentioned the Asiwaju quote and your intensive search for it? If so, then I'll take back what I said about you being lazy.

Now the google thing ties into what I said about not expending even the slightest effort before saying someone is making up a quote, because references to the Ashiwaju quote besides those from the Soyinka interview are easily findable on google books provided one expends some actual effort or goes past the first page of results. I don't see how one can think mentions of Achebe's quote are only found in Soyinka's interview and only in this year (2013) if one goes past the first page of results in a search using the very same Google that you said you used. Your past posts show that you've made efforts to make extensive searches for information online before, yet you insisted that the only place that one could find mention of the quote was Soyinka's recent interview. If you couldn't find anywhere else where mention was made of Achebe's Asiwaju quote besides Soyinka's interview before, then of course I would think you didn't expend any real effort in doing so, but since you visited all those other sites where you assumed the quote would be, then I guess I'll take your word for it that you carried out an intensive search.

As for the wikipedia post, the website listed every opinion about noble prize CA had as well as his rejoice for WS when he won the said award. I find it ironic the said website which is a clear attack on WS award is disregarded

If you think that it was a "clear attack" on Soyinka, then that's simply what you choose to make of the quote. You're not alone - others have done the same thing. I have a different interpretation, anyway, which I already stated above. I don't really see how not seeing someone as the leader of a something because they recently won a very prestigious prize is equivalent to an attack, but of course you're welcome to your own opinion.

By the way, most controversial interview as well as a statement made by someone as popular as CA usually are digital.

Thanks for presenting this opinion as fact, but I'm not under any obligation to accept it as true, since I haven't actually compared all non-digital and digital sources that contain interviews from popular authors and I doubt that others have done so either.

I doubt the existence of the exact quote because that said quote is an insult to another man's achievement and I doubt CA would result to that mere attack.

Or he could have just been stating his opinion and was not out to attack anybody.

And no you don't even need to buy the book - I suggested a library although I saw where you wrote that you would buy it. But go ahead and buy it if you want, I just don't see the point of buying a book to verify one quote. Perhaps you actually intend to read it though.

Why you felt the need to inform me that books are not usually digital

That is not what I was saying. I don't think you understood me. The issue is not that books are not usually digital, but rather that you can't take the fact that you can't find a specific quote online as showing that such a quote does not exist elsewhere in sources that are not available online, since the ability to find that quote online is entirely dependent on whether the material from that publication has been put online by somebody.

I find it Ironic that of all this years, of all the comparison between CA and WS all this years, all the interview between the two in all this years, none ever mentioned the said quote until recently in this year.

That's just the thing - this simply isn't true. It was mentioned in the past and I even referenced the fact that it was mentioned in the 80s and how it seems that some people took the comment the wrong way back when it was made.

A supposed controversial insult hidden for so many years until he, WS, mentioned it.

Well, no. It wasn't hidden at all. If one expends some actual effort, one can indeed find older references to it online.

I doubt the existence of the exact quote because that said quote is an insult to another man's achievement and I doubt CA would result to that mere attack. If you have different opinion about what the statement implies, then that's on you. I don't have to have the exact same opinion as you.

Fair enough. We read the meaning and significance of the quote differently, but yeah, the quote exists.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by ACM10: 9:30am On Jun 21, 2013
Ola Johnson:

grin
Dude, you've started again. I dey watch you in 3D. I still have the book with me o. So, don't play smart.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by PhysicsQED(m): 9:41am On Jun 21, 2013
Hey One Naira, I see that you gave your opinion on the existence of the quote in another thread called "Genevieve Nnaji Believed Omotola Jalade Paid To Get Her Name On Time 100 List" but in there you just restated that you googled it, which is the same as what you had already said in the Soyinka interview thread that I referred to earlier. But like I said, if one expends any actual effort, references to the quote show up in google from sources other than Soyinka's 2013 interview.

And perhaps you referenced that intensive search in every place you could think of in another thread that I missed. If you can show me that, then I'll take back what I said earlier.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 21, 2013
ACM10:

grin
Dude, you've started again. I dey watch you in 3D. I still have the book with me o. So, don't play smart.
Your like, One Naira, brought this up. As for the book, continue to search it for the quote. I've given you the clue. That's your assignment. If you find that stressful, get the second book, "The Five Majors - Why They Struck" by A. M. Mainasara, whose relevant pages, pp 25-29, I gave too. It was published by Hudahuda Publishing Company, Zaria in 1982. I wish you the best.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by nokingasgod: 10:42am On Jun 21, 2013
PhysicsQED:

This will be the second time now that you are claiming that the quote from Achebe (the "Asiwaju" statement) that Soyinka mentioned in that interview from a few weeks ago is a false or made up statement that no one can verify. So I might as well set the record straight:

"The interviewer insisted on obtaining Achebe's view concerning remarks in several Lagos-Ibadan newspapers that he was neither a relevant nor an effective writer since he was not awarded the Nobel Prize in 1986. Achebe had to contextualize the issue in a way that would educate and inform.

My position is that the Nobel Prize is important. But it is a European prize. It's not an African prize. It's not a Nigerian prize. Those who give it, Europeans who give it are not responsible to us. You can't go and ask them, "why are you not giving it to so, so and so?" It is not your prize. They have reasons for setting it up. They have their rules for determining who should get it. And so what we should be saying is: 'Okay we are happy they have given one of us their prize'. But to go from there to say, 'Ah now this is the Ashiwaju of African literature', is so absurd. Now, that is something I would like to take on sometime and explain, that a European prize does not make anybody the Ashiwaju of Nigerian literature."

You can find what I quoted immediately above on pp. 263-264 of the book Chinua Achebe: A Biography (1997) by Ezenwa Ohaeto. That quote above from Achebe is originally from an interview that Chinua Achebe gave two years after Soyinka won the Nobel prize and the author of that biography, Ezenwa Ohaeto, a former student of Achebe's, was a poet and a professor of literature who wrote one of the first biographies of Achebe.

I'm not sure why you are denying that that quote from Achebe really existed. From some of your past posts, it's clear that you're competent at searching for quotes online, so it's surprising that you didn't already come across it in other sources if you actually made even a halfhearted effort to look for it. Even if one couldn't find the full quote in an official source (an authorized biography), as I did, there are still multiple publications from the 80s and the 90s which one can easily find which reference this quote by Achebe.

When he originally caught wind of the statement, Soyinka commented on the statement in a lighthearted manner, saying that he was not interested in being the "Asiwaju" of Nigerian literature, but that he was trying to be the "Ogbuefi" of Nigerian literature. Regardless of how one wants to interpret Achebe's "Ashiwaju" statement, he did indeed make the statement. However, they clearly seemed to be on friendly terms (I don't claim, like some people, to know much of anything about the specifics of their relationship, but that's just what I can tell from my observations from a distance) and they showed up together at multiple events after this "Ashiwaju" vs "Ogbuefi" back and forth. In fact at one event, Soyinka presented an award to Achebe that a certain organization (the African Overseas Union) had given Achebe in honor of his work.

Now regarding the quote itself: In the process of defending himself from undeserved attacks on his achievements as a writer, Achebe made a comment about whether the Nobel prize really made a person the "Ashiwaju" (leader) of Nigerian literature. From what I've read, this "Ashiwaju" comment was seen by some people back then as unfortunate and something that could be interpreted as negative toward Soyinka, but in the context that it was made, it seems much more likely to me that it was meant mostly as a criticism of the idea that a prize determined by and awarded by European writers could make a person the real "leader" of African literature, and not meant as a real insult to Soyinka (who Achebe had congratulated two years earlier when he won the prize). One can see that Achebe's quote is much more about there being a need not to assess African writers merely by the tastes and opinions of European critics and judges, rather than anything else. Similarly, Soyinka's statement from a few weeks ago (when the interviewer pressed him about the issue) about Achebe not being the "father" of modern African literature and there being no one father of modern African literature is not out of resentment of Achebe, but just how he sees things from his perspective as a prominent writer in his own right from the same generation.

Achebe felt that having a prize conferred on a Nigerian writer (Soyinka) by a European academy - even if it was an important prize, as he acknowledged - did not automatically make that person the leader (Ashiwaju) of Nigerian or African literature. Soyinka felt that having the title of "father of modern African literature" bestowed upon a writer (Achebe) by another prominent writer (Gordimer) did not make that claim automatically true and he felt that there was no one "father" of modern African literature. Yet writers in newspapers back then went on to speculate that Achebe's 1988 comment was born out of jealousy, bias or spite, rather than it simply meaning what it said and now people on the internet are trying to make Soyinka's comment from a few weeks ago into something rooted in jealousy, bias or spite, when it's clear that in both cases they really meant what they said and that these statements were not intended as attacks on the worth or achievements of the other writer. Achebe didn't see Soyinka as the leader of Nigerian literature just because he won the Nobel prize, and Soyinka didn't see Achebe as the "father of modern African literature" - which he clearly thinks has no one father - just because Gordimer said that it was so. This doesn't mean that either one of them was "jealous" or out to attack or denigrate the other - it's just how they saw things from their perspective. Take off the ethnic jingoist glasses, approach what these writers said with some degree of maturity, objectivity and some attempt at understanding nuances and maybe you'll better understand what both of these writers (Soyinka and Achebe) were saying. The real world is not NL, and not every interaction between people from another ethnic group and a person from your ethnic group is a chance to prove your valor as an ethnic defender or ethnic chauvinist. Sometimes, it is an opportunity for you to actually think. There might be important non-ethnic issues that these thinkers may have strong opinions about - such as whether Africans should think that a writer was the leader of African literature because he won a prize conferred by a European academy, or whether it actually made sense to consider a writer the "father" of a subject that may have had no one real parent.

Now I don't particularly care much about the Soyinka vs. Achebe stuff that's been going on on this forum for a few weeks now, but I decided to post that quote (which isn't even that hard to find) because you have made it a point to repeatedly attempt to impugn Soyinka's integrity on that Nobel prize/Ashiwaju quote of Achebe's because of your own laziness. It's far too easy to look for proof that a quote actually exists before rushing to accuse someone (Soyinka) of being a liar, yet you refused to expend even the slightest effort to do this. If you just don't like Soyinka because you're from an apparent "rival" ethnic group to his own, then I wouldn't even care, since that's just how you choose to see things, but stop trying to promote this idea of yours that Soyinka told or repeated a lie against Achebe after Achebe passed away by mentioning the Asiwaju quote as it it were unverified or false when the Ashiwaju quote is completely authentic. Just stop being lazy and make use of your brain.

Brilliant. Awesome. Breathtaking!
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Malawian(m): 10:55am On Jun 21, 2013
AbdH:
He is a small man but well known around the world but you are the big man who is sadly obscure to all.
It is really sad that people can reduce themselves to insulting men who have elevated this nation in their various fields.

who be this Ozuo?

who have elevated this nation

yeah !!! Naija is such a banana republic, it takes cultists and atheists to elevate it. ode.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by lineal: 12:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
Eko Ile:

Unfortunately for you and CA, CA obviously did not use his influence to unite or enlighten any young generation, infact he did the opposite with his hate and bigotry filed book, he reopened old wounds and trashed all our gains since the civil war.

This is not ancient history, it happened just a few months ago...CA was very distinctive till his last breath.

I think Jenams quoted Soyinka.

InvertedHammer: /

Out of jealousy, he used jazz/otumokpo to set road accident for Chinua.

Usually one is not expected to see the corpse of someone he/she intended to or may have killed.

So Wole Soyinka did not attend so that he would not see Chinua's corpse.

//

Babalawo?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by DerideGull(m): 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2013
It is very funny how Nigerians tend to arrogate things through tribal prism. According to the quote allegedly accredited to Chinua Achebe, the statement of Asiwaju of Nigerian literature as it pertains to Nobel Prize and Wole Soyinka did not particularly pointed anybody. A European prize does not make anybody the Asiwaju or Duru or Idiris of Nigerian literature is a statement of generalization.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by AbdH: 9:13am On Jun 22, 2013
Malawian:

who be this Ozuo?

yeah !!! Naija is such a banana republic, it takes cultists and atheists to elevate it. ode.
All you just wrote doesn't change the fact that you are obscure. Change your mindset, learn to appreciate the good in others and stop being insultive.
By the way, 'don't inseminate hate against those whom your pedestrian vision cannot see.'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

2019: Sowore Emerges AAC Presidential Candidate / 16 Qualities That Make Omoyele Sowore An Exceptional Presidential Candidate / Governor Akeredolu Emerges Chairman South West Governors' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.