Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 (5594 Views)

Most Fuel Efficient Non-hybrid -VW Passat Tdi Sets 77.9 Mpg Fuel Economy Record / World's Most Fuel Efficient Car By Vw / Top 13 Most Fuel Efficient Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 11:37am On Jun 19, 2013
Best fuel Mileage Cars from 2012-2013: Top 5 List

1. 2012 Toyota Prius
:
51 City/48 Hwy (50 Avg.), Base Price: $24,000.
1.8-liter, with 4-Cylinder engine and 134 hp, 0-60 mph in 9.8 secs. The most fuel efficient car on the market is the Toyota Prius, also the most demanding car in the U.S. A small sedan, but roomy enough for 5 and it is perfect for those that drive over 100 miles a day to work. The 3rd Generation Toyota Prius model is on sale since 2009 and currently available for purchase at most Toyota dealers. Also available are the Prius C (53 City/46 Hwy, Starting at: $18,950) and the Prius V (44 City/40 hwy, Starting at $26,400).

2. 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid:
44 City/44 Hwy (44 Avg.), Base Price: $24,050. 1.3-liter, with 4-Cylinder engine and up to 111 hp, 0-60 mph in 11.3 secs. The runner up is Toyota biggest rival; the Honda Civic Hybrid is a sporty sedan with an average 44 combined mpg. This is worth every penny, especially for those who prefer Honda over Toyota.

Honda Civic Hybrid

44 City/44 Hwy (44 Avg.), Base Price: $24,050. 1.3-liter, with 4-Cylinder engine and up to 111 hp, 0-60 mph in 11.3 secs. The runner up is Toyota biggest rival; the Honda Civic Hybrid is a sporty sedan with an average 44 combined mpg. This is worth every penny, especially for those who prefer Honda over Toyota.
3.Lexus CT 200h vs Honda Insight: Tie for third are the Lexus CT 200h and the Honda Insight , which both give an estimated combined 42 mpg. Luxury or necessity?

2012 Lexus CT 200h Hybrid:
43 City/40 Hwy (42 Avg.), Base Price: $29,120. 1.8-liter, with 4-Cylinder engine and up to 134 hp, 0-60 mph in 9.8 secs. Why not have both luxury and fuel efficiency in one car? The Lexus CT 200h does just that by offering great gas mileage with a luxurious feel. Wow your friends and colleagues with a whopping 42 mpg in a Lexus.

2012 Honda Insight:

41 City/44 Hwy (42 Avg.), Base Price: $18,350.
1.3-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 98 hp. The Honda Insight is much more affordable than the Lexus CT 200h.

4. 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid
:
43 City/39 Hwy (41 Avg.), Base Price: $25,900. 2.5-liter, 4-Cylinder engine with 200-horsepower, reaching 0-60 mph in 7.7 secs. If you love the original Camry, then you should try the Camry Hybrid because it has better fuel economy, which can be a big saver after a few years.

http://www.thesupercars.org/top-cars/most-fuel-efficient-cars/

Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by xerotop(m): 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
Of what use is the hybrid when normal cars e.g honda civic can do 27/36?
My wifes honda civiv does 25 city and over 34 hwy. a 1.6lL I4.
Now lets do some maths,
Honda civic hybrid frm this thread 44/44. Which is not up to 2 times what my woman' s civic consume.
45 ltrs thank, filled 2X monthly if i dont travel with it.

Now lets compare dis with a civic hybrid of 44/44 with a very expensive repair waiting for you wen the inverter gets drained. Hybrid parts not readily available in nigeria.and still do 44 mpg compared to my 34 notmally?
Is it worth it? NO.

Someone once posted he spent 720k on importing toyota highlander inverter. How much be d car sef?

Y will people want to buy car and not want to buy Fuel?

U av money to buy a car worth millions of naira but u dont have money to buy fuel
Dem force u buy car?
My conclusion;
All dis cars r not hybrid until they start doing about 2000 mpg city and 4000 mpg hwy.

May be till then i will get one. Lols

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 9:29pm On Jun 20, 2013
xerotop: Of what use is the hybrid when normal cars e.g honda civic can do 27/36?
My wifes honda civiv does 25 city and over 34 hwy. a 1.6lL I4.
Now lets do some maths,
Honda civic hybrid frm this thread 44/44. Which is not up to 2 times what my woman' s civic consume.
45 ltrs thank, filled 2X monthly if i dont travel with it.

Now lets compare dis with a civic hybrid of 44/44 with a very expensive repair waiting for you wen the inverter gets drained. Hybrid parts not readily available in nigeria.and still do 44 mpg compared to my 34 notmally?
Is it worth it? NO.

Someone once posted he spent 720k on importing toyota highlander inverter. How much be d car sef?

Y will people want to buy car and not want to buy Fuel?

U av money to buy a car worth millions of naira but u dont have money to buy fuel
Dem force u buy car?
My conclusion;
All dis cars r not hybrid until they start doing about 2000 mpg city and 4000 mpg hwy.

May be till then i will get one. Lols

car manufacturals r nt magicians, frm my thread u cn c there is a significiant diff btw d hybrid nd d normal cars. Hybrid part r nw available n nigeria, cos most person r driving them. If u convert the numba of hours pple spend on lagos traffic to money, u undastand y hybrid cars shld b make mandatory 4 evry1 living n lagos.
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
[quote author=xerotop]
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
[/quote]
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by sultaan(m): 3:15am On Jun 21, 2013
Where is the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt on your list?
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 6:56am On Jun 21, 2013
sultaan: Where is the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt on your list?
Nissan leaf and chevy volt r special cars that use both electric and fuel, also their prices are considerable high. I only concentrated on cars that can be use and maintain in Nigeria.
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by Ikenna351(m): 9:55am On Jun 21, 2013
Op,

Don't believe everything you read!

That could be the most fuel efficient cars in USA, but not in the world. What makes you think all cars use in Europe and other continents are sold in USA & Canada? Whoever did that analysis or comparism did that with cars used in USA and Canada as well.

You are talking of fuel efficient cars, yet you excluded diesel cars? What about Peugeot 508 (diesel) that average 74 mpg on highway? And you are saying cars with 42 mpg are the most fuel efficient cars in the world? If that is the case, what about my 406 V6 that average 40 mpg on expressway on average speed (that is, when am not heavy footed)? This is 2000 model car we are talking about and a V6 for that matter. Yet someone is boasting of 44 mpg in a 2012 car and 4 cylinder for that matter?

If we are to say the most fuel efficient cars, then petrol cars shouldnt be in that list. Americans dont drive diesel cars, just like we do in Nigeria. So, thats why that list has only petrol cars.

The title of the topic should be limited to US and petrol should be more appropriate in this case.

Like i said, don't believe everything you read.

Ikenna.
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 11:39am On Jun 21, 2013
Ikenna351: Op,

Don't believe everything you read!

That could be the most fuel efficient cars in USA, but not in the world. What makes you think all cars use in Europe and other continents are sold in USA & Canada? Whoever did that analysis or comparism did that with cars used in USA and Canada as well.

You are talking of fuel efficient cars, yet you excluded diesel cars? What about Peugeot 508 (diesel) that average 74 mpg on highway? And you are saying cars with 42 mpg are the most fuel efficient cars in the world? If that is the case, what about my 406 V6 that average 40 mpg on expressway on average speed (that is, when am not heavy footed)? This is 2000 model car we are talking about and a V6 for that matter. Yet someone is boasting of 44 mpg in a 2012 car and 4 cylinder for that matter?

If we are to say the most fuel efficient cars, then petrol cars shouldnt be in that list. Americans dont drive diesel cars, just like we do in Nigeria. So, thats why that list has only petrol cars.

The title of the topic should be limited to US and petrol should be more appropriate in this case.

Like i said, don't believe everything you read.

Ikenna.

buddy i start by giving the definition of hybrid cars, Hybrid vehicles are called hybrids because they use both a small internal combustion engine (ICE) and an electric motor to obtain maximum power and fuel economy with minimum emissions. How they do this varies from one model to another, with varying success.

What all hybrids have in common is the ability to generate electric current, store it in a large battery, and use that current to help drive the car.
Hybrids can also conserve energy by shutting down the ICE when the vehicle is in Park, idling at a light, or stopped in traffic, or when the electric motor’s energy is sufficient to drive the vehicle without assistance from the ICE.

the above list cars in my thread are not rare cars found only in the USA only, these are everyday cars found mostly in Nigeria, just try and take a look at the list again.

did u say ur 406 V6 average 40 mpg, how is that possible, i thot all V6 are fuel sucker.

"What about Peugeot 508 (diesel) that average 74 mpg on highway?" diesel engines are better on the highway and hybrids are better in city, so because of the traffic jam in most city in Nigeria, hybrid cars are still the most recommendable because of their fuel economical ability.
the only issue with hybrid cars is the battery problem, apart from that all other parts are just like the normal car..but diesel cars have high maintenance cost..so every penny you save in diesel you end up spending it in the mechanic workshop.

Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by Ikenna351(m): 12:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
bishopjoe02:

buddy i start by giving the definition of hybrid cars, Hybrid vehicles are called hybrids because they use both a small internal combustion engine (ICE) and an electric motor to obtain maximum power and fuel economy with minimum emissions. How they do this varies from one model to another, with varying success.

What all hybrids have in common is the ability to generate electric current, store it in a large battery, and use that current to help drive the car.
Hybrids can also conserve energy by shutting down the ICE when the vehicle is in Park, idling at a light, or stopped in traffic, or when the electric motor’s energy is sufficient to drive the vehicle without assistance from the ICE.

the above list cars in my thread are not rare cars found only in the USA only, these are everyday cars found mostly in Nigeria, just try and take a look at the list again.

did u say ur 406 V6 average 40 mpg, how is that possible, i thot all V6 are fuel sucker.

"What about Peugeot 508 (diesel) that average 74 mpg on highway?" diesel engines are better on the highway and hybrids are better in city, so because of the traffic jam in most city in Nigeria, hybrid cars are still the most recommendable because of their fuel economical ability.
the only issue with hybrid cars is the battery problem, apart from that all other parts are just like the normal car..but diesel cars have high maintenance cost..so every penny you save in diesel you end up spending it in the mechanic workshop.

In other words, you are saying "The most fuel efficient cars in Nigeria" ? In that case, you could be right, since we dont drive diesel cars here. But if you are saying Hybrid cars are the most economical cars in Nigeria (both fueling and repair cost), then you may have to try harder to convince me. All the money the car is saving for you in fueling her, one replacement of battery will consume the whole money saved, if not more. Are you aware that one can get a clean tokunbo car at 700k+, which the hybrid battery cost? It may be cheaper to fuel, but expensive to maintain.

You were right about the cost of running a diesel car (expensive parts), which may end up doing the samething hybrid cars do when they have bettery issues. But, the fact remains that diesel cars consume less than petrol cars, no matter how you want to look at it. Note that we have hybrid diesels as well. So, the hybrid petrol cars and diesel cars are almost the same when it comes to general maintenance cost.

Yes, my D9 V6 has averaged 40 mpg on few occassions when not in the mood for speed on expressways. With manual transmission, you can get amazing fuel economy out of a V6, which depends on your style of driving.

Ikenna
Re: Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 by bishopjoe02(m): 2:01pm On Jun 21, 2013
Ikenna351:

In other words, you are saying "The most fuel efficient cars in Nigeria" ? In that case, you could be right, since we dont drive diesel cars here. But if you are saying Hybrid cars are the most economical cars in Nigeria (both fueling and repair cost), then you may have to try harder to convince me. All the money the car is saving for you in fueling her, one replacement of battery will consume the whole money saved, if not more. Are you aware that one can get a clean tokunbo car at 700k+, which the hybrid battery cost? It may be cheaper to fuel, but expensive to maintain.

You were right about the cost of running a diesel car (expensive parts), which may end up doing the samething hybrid cars do when they have bettery issues. But, the fact remains that diesel cars consume less than petrol cars, no matter how you want to look at it. Note that we have hybrid diesels as well. So, the hybrid petrol cars and diesel cars are almost the same when it comes to general maintenance cost.

Yes, my D9 V6 has averaged 40 mpg on few occassions when not in the mood for speed on expressways. With manual transmission, you can get amazing fuel economy out of a V6, which depends on your style of driving.

Ikenna
thanks dude, n d lng run it seems my thread is stil valid

(1) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? / Gear Box Problem / One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.