Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,671 members, 7,805,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans (8342 Views)

Homosexuality And The Bible : Paul's Letter To The Romans (A Gay Boys View) / Romans-11 Vs 25 And 2-Thessalonians 2 Vs 3 / Dear Muslims Why Did The Romans Want To Kill Christ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2013
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
the point here is that man believes with the HEART. Many think faith is in the head or that believing is in the head. The Bible says it is with the heart, not with the brain. When you believe God's Word with your heart, your brain may catch up later, but it is not all important in the process of belief. Do not let your brain or head or thinking to negatively influence your faith. With the MOUTH confession is made unto salvation, we need to understand the importance of our confession as children of God. God has made humans with great power and death and life are in the power of the mouth as it were. We should not be cowered or discouraged by motivational speaking and positive talk that is being abused and perhaps overstretched. God still promises us that we will have whatsoever we say. Why not say the coming of God's kingdom and salvation into every area of your life?

Rom 10:11 For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
There goes yet another OT scripture quote to buttress a point. The early christians were expected, and taken for granted, to be conversant with the Scripture which at the time of writing, was mainly OT scriptures. The promise of God is that WHOSOEVER believes shall not be ashamed. You see the balance of scriptures? There is the goodness and there is the severity. We should not just hold on pessimistically to scriptures that seem to say that we might not be saved. WHOSOEVER. The Hebrews says i am persuaded of better things.
Heb 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
in the Scriptures, we can have life if we believe. There is no difference, the same God and Lord is rich to ALL that call. if a pharaoh or nebuchadnezzar will humble themselves and call, they will be saved. You know, Nebuchadnezzar called, but Pharaoh did not?

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Repeated again for emphasis, WHOSOEVER, any person, no matter who, whoever believes WILL NOT PERISH but have eternal life. WHOEVER shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Folks often forget this kind of verses but are quick to remember negative prophecy, the love of many will wax cold. Why should you be among those? Can't you be among the many that are turned to righteousness, and of the multitudes that no man could number in white, which John saw in Revelation?

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
This shows us the importance of preaching the gospel, the good news of salvation and eternal life. Nothing compares to this great task. Folks are quick to spread bad news, funny news and pictures and videos. How shall they hear without a preacher? There are many secular christians, who only put on their christianity on Sunday service, or in church, or in their mind. God is restricted to their mind. they do not want to talk about Him on NL or at the office. They only talk about Him when they go to church or if they have programme to invite people. Dare to be a Daniel, everyone Daniel worked with knew him with his God. The king said the God whom you serve.It was the same thing for Daniel's friends, the king referred to them as SERVANTS of the living God. We should not waste pages and ages talking irrelevants like politics, doctrine, entertainment, while we give droplets to sharing the Word of Life.

Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Yet another OT scripture quote. Paul seems to have lived in them literally. He was like a lawyer presenting his strong reasons and quoting the constitutions. The feet of those that preach the gospel remains beautiful for ever. Go and preach the gospel.
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Yet again, the gospel is shown to have being earlier preached. verse 6 has earlier told us of the righteousness which is of faith, being preached in Deuteronomy of all places. Here again, the prophet is said to have preached the gospel. Many folks in the OT did not obey the gospel. obedience is rooted in the heart, not just externally.
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
it is not about paying lip service to correct doctrine, but about being after God's heart, very important.
Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
Do we believe Jesus' report today, or we have excuses not to believe? Do we believe what the Lord tells us in the epistles, or do we push them to others, it is not written to us, it is written to Titus, it is written to Corinth etc. They have not all obeyed the gospel. The gospel is the Word of God, the Word of God is good news, great news. It givesus life.

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Rom 10:18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
When we come to hear the Word of God, we need to come with humility and space to receive. The Word of God can be choked as Jesus said. Faith is not automatically by reading tons of chapters or listening to many messages. We need to be poor in spirit. Jesus told some people that if He spake to them, they will not believe.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

The gospel was preached unto US as well as unto THEM.Do you even believe that? 'Them' is referring to OT Israelites.Some people heard the Word of God and perished in the wilderness. We need to be careful as we hear God's Word, not to disdain it, or neglect it, or excuse it. But ask God for more light and understanding instead of being presumptuous. Verse 18 concludes that they have all heard. The question was that how shall they preach? how shall they hear? How shall they believe? etc. The apostle's answer is staggering, they have heard. But I say, yes, verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
Don't sit and be speculating about what of the people that have never heard, and you remain in your sins and choose not to believe. Do you know that if you hear and believe, your children will hear, and your descendants will hear? But if you refuse to hear, you hamper and reduce the chances of your descendants believing, and God help them, that some christian brings them the true gospel.

Rom 10:19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.
An explanation begins as to why the majority of Israel does not believe the gospel. Evidently, it is not because they have not heard. Did Israel not know? Do they not all read moses? The same scriptures show us that NOW is the time of the Gentiles, we have no excuse.

Rom 10:20 But Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.
Rom 10:21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.
The Scripture is complete and tells us to be moderate. We need to live in this moderation instead of going overboard because of knowledge.
Here is God, talking about being found by people. Doctinally, it can be argued even biblically, that it is God that finds us, and that we cannot find God. But God says He was found, even by those not seeking. The depths of the riches of God's mercies and grace are untouched. We do not need to force others to our own understanding and view of God's knowledge and grace.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
Rom 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
Has God cast away Israel? Obviously NOT, God forbid. Yes, blindness in part is happened to them and so on and so forth, but the Kingdom of God suffers violence, and the violent takes it BY FORCE. Paul was such a man, and so should be every believer. We should not be limited by negativity or even negative BIBLE prophecies. The love of many shall wax cold, evil men and seducers wax worse and worse, many shall be deceived, God will have mercy on who He will have mercy etc. Paul the apostle was an Israelite, yet blindness or slumber did not happen to him. He put his body under so as not to be cast away. He ran and fought and kept and finished, he laboured. So also did 120 disciples and about 500 that saw the Lord after resurrection. God said He had left Israel desolate(Matthew 23), yet Jews that believed got saved. 3000 on the day of Pentecost, another 5000 later and more daily. You have no excuse. In Acts 8, all these believers were scattered and only the apostles remained in Jerusalem, but by the end of Acts, thousands of Jews had believed. They did not wait despondently or give up. They took it by force, as it were. Nobody should sit in darkness or unbelief or unrighteousness, and be claiming some Bible verse or prophecy as his reason for not being saved.
Act 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles.
Act 21:20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:

Rom 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the Scripture saith of Elijah? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
Rom 11:3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
God has not cast away His people, He will never. Yet, some choose not to repent and some do. He FOREKNEW them all, yet some perished and were condemned. It is automatic that if God foreknew, they must be predestinated to go to heaven. That is the way some folks interpret this verse. (Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. )
God foreknowing you has little or nothing to do with your repentance. In very fact, God's omniscience and omnipotence demands that He foreknows everybody. God has not cast us of, it is we that have cast Him off. His promise is to NEVER leave or forsake us, but we often decide to leave and forsake Him. We neglect Him. How shall we escape, when we neglect Him? He is not a possessive spirit like a demon who will chase you by fire by force. He can be grieved and He honours your free will.
Wot ye not what the Scripture saith? Whether you are a jew or a gentile, you are expected to know what the scripture says. And we know he was referring to OT scripture as he goes ahead to quote from 1Kings19. Jesus told the people of His time "Have you not read?" "Search the scriptures" "Man shall live by the Word of God". This is the emphasis that Christ and the early christians placed on the Word. They did not jettison it or say it was useless and irrelevant. you know, that is what new age believers say today. They want to have us believe that the OT scriptures is useless and unprofitable. Even the gospels(Matthew to John) are being included now. Paul expected the Romans to know. Wot ye not, Know ye not what the scriptures say? Can the same be asked you without offence and some fight and tripe about legalism or being under the law?

Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
the remnant is part of the elect. The elect is simply the believer. The believers or elect are in every age/generation. It is not some 144,000 somewhere. Paul said, AT THIS PRESENT TIME. John wrote to the elect lady and the elect sister, Peter wrote to elect strangers in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia. The elect are not some esoteric preserve somewhere. The elect are those who are elected/chosen/selected by grace through faith. Every believer is elect. There were jews that believed, and therefore were the elect at Paul's "present time".

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
This is foundational, not exclusive. Grace has to be the foundation, not works. The OT covenant system failed as it was based on works as foundation. The believer's life is likened to a house being built, the wise man built his house on a Rock. The foundation in our building has to be grace, not works. Works come in later, like the windows and the roof are not the foundation of a house. You do not put your furniture on the plot of land before the foundation, that would be ludicrous. When you come to God with works, to be accepted or justified, it will be as filthy rags. You have to, MUST come by grace(which came by Jesus Christ Jn1.17). By grace are you saved through faith, not of works. Salvation is foundational, after that comes works.

Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

Israel has not obtained what he seeketh for. Thought everyone that seeketh findeth. Well, here is one reason why not everyone that seeketh will find, UNBELIEF. Remember chapter 9v32?
Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone
Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
;
Israel did not obtain because they sought it not by faith. Talking about "OBTAINING", is that even possible? Well, the passage talks about obtaining. So it is possible. The election hath obtained. It didn't just jump on them by chance or some predestined magic. They obtained it, by grace through faith. That same grace has appeared unto all men, it is available to all men. Who is going to obtain? The rest were blinded.
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear) unto this day.
Rom 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompense unto them:
Rom 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back always.
God gave them the spirit of slumber. Why? They reaped what they sowed. It wasn't just some divine will tagged on them. It is so till today, their eyes are darkened. Many of them are still expecting a messiah and rejecting the Messiah. The gentiles too, who are the owners of the time as it were, many are in the same trap of slumber and darkness. They are also in the dark because of unbelief, because they have rejected and closed the door to the Saviour. this repeats itself in anybody, race and generation. Many unbelieving parents close the door and limit their descendants and children from hearing the gospel. Such a generation will reap from the ungodliness and unbelief of their parents and ancestors, just like Israel. Some people had been to the likes of the Communist countries and the Arabic countries in the past. They were rejected and persecuted. Because of them, many of their descandants lay claim to not having heard the gospel. Never hearing the name Jesus in their lives. They are suffering from the unbelief and negligence of their ancestors. It is just like countries where their leaders are corrupt and nonchalant and wasteful, their descendants are going to pay dearly for it. Their descendants are not being educated, they will suffer poverty, corruption, terrorism and its attendant wickednesses in time to come. May the cup of judgement not get full on your head.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
Rom 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fullness?
This is the attitude of one influenced by the Spirit of God, seeing the good. It's what we all need to do more often, see God. Seeing the invisible, not looking at the things that are seen.

Rom 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
We need to learn like Paul to know our audience. It helped him to be able to gain many more. Paul was an apostle to the Gentiles, this simply means that he was sent to the gentiles, PRIMARILY. He was not sent to ONLY the gentiles. Here is the passage he is referring to.
Act 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Observe that he was sent to the gentiles, the authorities/kings, and to the children of Israel. Every disciple of Jesus is sent into all the world, though we all have our niches as it were. We are all to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Paul never discriminated or shied away from preaching to anybody, whether barbarian or greek, or man or woman, or jew or gentile, he was a debtor to all.
like i said, and like Paul has said, he had a niche, a primary audience, the gentiles. That's how the body is, everyone has their part to play. You have someone to whom you are the chiefest to preach to him/her. Your preaching would save the fellow like the click on a mouse, more than tens of great sermons by great evangelists. Know your audience, however, preach the gospel in season and out of season. Whether at your niche or not. Notice that Paul preached to many many jews in the book of Acts. In fact, his first port of call was usually the jews in the synagogues. Then he talks about magnifying his office. This is a belief in what he was doing, far from being ashamed of ministering to the gentiles. Most jews had no dealings with gentiles. they would not even enter the house of a gentile or eat with one. The discrimination between the jews and the gentiles was high. But took his ministry with passion and pride. He was not highminded or cocky or denigrating about it. Some people are proud and boastful of their achievements , then they come to quote Paul, that's wrong.

Rom 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
One salient point i want us to see here is that Paul actually says "I might save some of them". Now, we live out some ignorant humility that states that salvation is all God, He does not need anybody, does not need any money, the work of God will go on irrespective. these are some nice and pious sounding lines, sorry if i did not put them so nicely. These lines are not found in the Bible. God works in partnership with man, that is what He has always wanted since Adam. Someone has to plant, and water, and then God does His part. Jesus talked about men LABOURING, and His disciples entering into the labour. He talked about reaping and harvesting, and the labourers being few. We have a part to play in the salvation of people. Give your faith, your praying, your time, your presence, your money whatever for the salvation of people including yourself. Paul did things so that people might be saved.
1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
Again, seeing the good in the obviously terrible situation of the Israelites. The Israelites are currently blinded and cast away, and now is the time of the gentiles. At this time, God commands men everywhere to repent.
Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
Act 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

god gave Israel some special privilege from the time of say Abraham to Jesus. Since then, we have had more time, more than 2013 years time of the gentiles, special privilege to the gentiles. how well have you taken advantage of this time. Are you like the Israelites who perished in the wilderness or in sin during the time of the Israelites. Time does not wait for any one, take advantage.

1 Like

Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 2:04am On Nov 22, 2013
Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Jesus Christ is the firstfruit and root, and no doubt He is holy.
1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Our holiness lies primarily in His holiness, not in our works of righteousness. We could never buy or attain to His holiness if we had eternity to work it. This is the lesson God taught for over 1500years when He gave the Israelites the law to keep. It is akin to telling a fish to produce wool like the sheep. It is not in its nature, and righteousness is not in man's fallen nature. But when any man be IN Christ, the lump is holy, the branch is holy.
But the verses above remind us that some branches were broken off. Why? Because they rejected the root.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 19:15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

The Israelites rejected the Root, the Source of life, and they were broken off.
Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
1Sa 2:30 Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me forever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

Any person grafted into Christ can be a partaker of His holiness, OR can choose to reject Him like the natural branches did(there is nothing new under the sun as it were). We need to make conscious progress in knowing Him more and walking in His light. Peter's epistle makes it clear that it is possible to be partakers of the divine nature , having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Rom 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
Rom 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
This passage shows severity staring at us in reality. Boast not, what a salient point to take in. God resists the proud/boastful. Always remember that we stand by faith. That is, actually by grace through faith. You want God helping you(which is grace/divine help), not resisting you. God hates high looks and a proud heart. The Root is the one bearing you and not the other way round. The branches do not bear the root.
Again, why were the branches broken off? Because of unbelief. They disbelieved the Saviour and therefore rejected Him. They were not broken off because of predestination. In fact, verse 2 reminded us that these people were people God foreknew. And if you remember, we saw in chapter 8 that Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

God had great plans and wishes for these people but they rejected Him. So, be not highminded, but fear. Ooops, there is actually a new testament injunction that christians should fear. To be factual, there are a couple more, not just this one. Never leave the platform of faith in God and the fear of God. There is a balance, let your moderation be known unto all.
If God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Take heed. Be careful. Nobody can just play lazy or do nothing, claiming that he is predestined. You cannot live your life anyhow. Take heed, so that God will spare you from being broken like the natural branches were. Take heed by staying/standing in faith. The just shall live by faith.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2014
Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Wow, blessed be God for His mercies. "Behold therefore". To behold is to look, to consider. Take note THEREFORE, because of the previous verses, the staring reality, take note, behold, consider the goodness and the severity of God. Many believers, preachers and christian writers are quick to behold the goodness of God. God is good and His mercies endure forever. He is good to you and me, good to the righteous and the unrighteous, good from ages past till eternity to come. He gives rain, and foos and all things good richly. But the writer says to also BEHOLD the severity of God. Don't ignore it, don't play it down, behold it, take note of it. There was a man who lost his destiny and purpose, not because of murder not because of adultery or fornication. He lost it because he ate from a tree. That man was Adam- the severity of God. There was a man referred to as a MAN OF GOD by the Bible. He was killed because he disobeyed God. He didn't r.ape, or do drugs. He didn't fight with anybody or have unforgiving spirit. He ate bread and drank water-the severity of God. There was a man, the meekest man on earth, with whom God was said to speak face to face. God punished him and did not allow him to fulfill what he was called to do since 80years ago. Can you imagine having a vision, a godly vision and desire, to enter the promised land, to take God's people to the promised land. And he tried in the flesh, after 40yrs, he was sent by God Himself. he was faithful in all his house. BUT He hit the Rock twice instead of once. He did not get to Canaan- the severity of God. There was a man, beloved of God, who pleased God, anointed by God with the Holy Ghost and power. He went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed. God was with Him. He Himself said "the Father has not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him." Not for four years, not for 30yrs, for all eternity, God was well pleased with Him. He did not sin, but He bore the sins of others, God forsook Him- the severity of God.
Behold therefore, consider, take note of the goodness and the severity of God. On them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness. God is not a respecter of persons. He will be good towards you IF you continue in His goodness. God's goodness is conditional, and so also is His severity. If you do not continue in God's goodness, you will be cut off. Remember, the writer is talking about a tree of which there are branches that are either natural or grafted. God is ABLE to cut off, and will cut off if any does not continue. He did cut off the natural Israel and warns the gentiles(the majority of you and me).

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.
Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

God is able to save and able to cut off. he is mighty to do both. Faith is key determinant. If anyone abides in FAITH, he will be with Christ's body. If anyone abides in unbelief, he will not be a member of Christ's body. Nobody is doomed to hell or damnation(what many call predestined). Anyone can be grafted in. God IS ABLE. Yes, He is that able to graft in and to cut off. The key is faith, belief in God. Are you abiding in faith or in unbelief? Without faith, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God. If you can believe, all things are possible to him that believes. God is able to graft them in AGAIN. Talk about being born again again.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

Wow, blessed be God for His mercies. "Behold therefore". To behold is to look, to consider. Take note THEREFORE, because of the previous verses, the staring reality, take note, behold, consider the goodness and the severity of God. Many believers, preachers and christian writers are quick to behold the goodness of God. God is good and His mercies endure forever. He is good to you and me, good to the righteous and the unrighteous, good from ages past till eternity to come. He gives rain, and foos and all things good richly. But the writer says to also BEHOLD the severity of God. Don't ignore it, don't play it down, behold it, take note of it. There was a man who lost his destiny and purpose, not because of murder not because of adultery or fornication. He lost it because he ate from a tree. That man was Adam- the severity of God. There was a man referred to as a MAN OF GOD by the Bible. He was killed because he disobeyed God. He didn't r.ape, or do drugs. He didn't fight with anybody or have unforgiving spirit. He ate bread and drank water-the severity of God. There was a man, the meekest man on earth, with whom God was said to speak face to face. God punished him and did not allow him to fulfill what he was called to do since 80years ago. Can you imagine having a vision, a godly vision and desire, to enter the promised land, to take God's people to the promised land. And he tried in the flesh, after 40yrs, he was sent by God Himself. he was faithful in all his house. BUT He hit the Rock twice instead of once. He did not get to Canaan- the severity of God. There was a man, beloved of God, who pleased God, anointed by God with the Holy Ghost and power. He went about doing good and healing all that were oppressed. God was with Him. He Himself said "the Father has not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him." Not for four years, not for 30yrs, for all eternity, God was well pleased with Him. He did not sin, but He bore the sins of others, God forsook Him- the severity of God.
Behold therefore, consider, take note of the goodness and the severity of God. On them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness. God is not a respecter of persons. He will be good towards you IF you continue in His goodness. God's goodness is conditional, and so also is His severity. If you do not continue in God's goodness, you will be cut off. Remember, the writer is talking about a tree of which there are branches that are either natural or grafted. God is ABLE to cut off, and will cut off if any does not continue. He did cut off the natural Israel and warns the gentiles(the majority of you and me).

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.
Rom 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

God is able to save and able to cut off. he is mighty to do both. Faith is key determinant. If anyone abides in FAITH, he will be with Christ's body. If anyone abides in unbelief, he will not be a member of Christ's body. Nobody is doomed to hell or damnation(what many call predestined). Anyone can be grafted in. God IS ABLE. Yes, He is that able to graft in and to cut off. The key is faith, belief in God. Are you abiding in faith or in unbelief? Without faith, it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God. If you can believe, all things are possible to him that believes. God is able to graft them in AGAIN. Talk about being born again again.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Alwaystrue(f): 3:02am On Jul 19, 2014
cheesy long overdue. Thanks for starting up again @Image

1 Like

Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 6:02pm On Jul 23, 2014
Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

Point to note as we continue is that everything is not all clear. Some things are mystery or mysterious. Some things you have to learn and do deep study and research. God put some stones on the surface and close to the surface, more is hidden underneath the surface/sub-surface. What we have and see is usually a tip of the iceberg as it were. That one is born again or a new creature in Christ doesn't automatically erase some things, and there are things one may not know too. According to this verse, IT IS POSSIBLE that brethren are IGNORANT on some issues, both spiritual and secular. One might have Holy Ghost and anointing and still be ignorant on many fronts. Believers should note that, knowledge is not necessarily holiness or anointing.
So, Paul didn't want gentile Romans to be ignorant of a certain mystery. That extends to us as we hold the book of Romans and other books in the Bible. We need not be ignorant, ignorance deceives us(wise in your own conceits). Blindness IN PART i.e partial blindness is happened to Israel, the natural Israel, UNTIL the fullness of the Gentiles be come in. The people of Israel are PARTIALLY blind to the truth and the gospel. They are not completely blind, some still saw and see. Paul and the 12 apostles were jews and of Israel. The 3000 that were saved on the day of Pentecost at Peter's message were all Jews and children of Israel. But the majority of Israel both then and till now are partially blind to the new covenant and the gospel. No one should sit down and wallow in self pity fulfilling negative prophecy like this, or like the love of many will wax cold, and then they go backslide. You too can be a Paul, a Peter, a John etc who were not blinded but believed in Jesus.
We are in the period of the Gentiles. It is your time and my time. Most of us can more easily and readily believe and embrace the truth, compared to the Jews. Take advantage of the opportunity.
Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

The times of the gentiles started after Jesus went to Calvary and tore the vail of the temple as it were, opening the door for the Gentiles. The Gentiles are "coming in" or at least expected to. There will be a time when this elapses. Thread syllabus doesn't reach that one. Anyway, take advantage of this time and do come in.
A question that may come up is why there is no simultaneous coming inS. Why does the door of the Israel coming in have to close in part. Without faith, it is impossible to please God. The Israelites refused to believe and that judgement fell on them as prophesied.
Deu 32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

God's Word is so sweet and truth, more current than tomorrow's news headlines. The natural Jews today are majorly averse to Christ and the gospel. And as unique as they are, they are enemies to many a gentile. this is a fact and truth 10 United Nations cannot erase as is evident if you follow world events.

Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
Rom 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

In the future however, that door will be opened again. What a mystery. For now, this time, they are not priority on the agenda. You and i are priority. You need to understand the times and function in it, key into it.

Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

At that time, But NOW. We are the Israel of God, God's beloved. God's grace through faith in Christ Jesus has enabled this to be. Glory be to God.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 11:35pm On Oct 29, 2014
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Praise God, Praise God forevermore. Like i said, this is not exactly a commentary in the sense but a picking out of points perhaps not so obvious at first read. This verse is many times translated to mean that when God gives somebody something, He cannot collect it back. So, if God has given you salvation, He can't take it. Or if God has given you a gift of the Spirit, you can't lose it no matter what. i do not think that is what the Bible is saying. i respect the wisdom and the experiences of people who have said and arrived at that, but we are looking at the Word of God, which is above those.
In the context of the passage, the verse is actually saying that God's plan would be ultimately fulfilled.
Rom 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
Rom 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

Talking about the Israelites, the writer was telling the Gentile Romans that they were enemies, and yet beloved. Why? BECAUSE/FOR the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. There was a calling, a prophecy(ies) on Israel that is yet to be fulfilled but would be in the future. This is the ultimate plan, the grand plan of God in the scheme of things. It's not about a particular individual but about Israel as a nation, and the promise to the Gentiles that they would come IN, be grafted in. FOR/Because ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: God had a plan for Israel and for the Gentiles. That plan is being ultimately fulfilled. We are in the period of the Gentiles and Gentiles are being saved. God is not relenting or repentant on that. And we pray that His will be done in earth as it is done and settled in Heaven.
Now, looking through the Bible, do we find God shy or afraid or arms tied as not to be able to take away gifts and callings? God made Adam, gave him a mandate and a gift. Adam lost his gift to satan and was unable to fulfil his mandate. God called the house of Eli. Did God not 'repent' of that calling? He did.
1Sa 2:30 Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me forever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honor me I will honor, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed.

God called king Saul, and gifted him with the kingdom. We all know that He later rejected Saul, collected the kingdom from him and gave it to another man.
1Sa 15:28 And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbor of thine, that is better than thou.

That man was David. King David knew that God could take back His gifts. No wonder he prayed God "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. " If anybody knew God, it was Jesus. In fact, if you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father. Jesus Christ, describing the kingdom of heaven talked about a man who was called and given the gift of a talent. In the end, the talent was taken from him.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

How about the man that lost forgiveness? Forgiveness is a gift from God, it is bought by grace and faith in the precious blood of Jesus. Jesus paid for it.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellow servant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Paul is said to have written this passage in focus. What did he think of his calling? Did he think he could not lose it? Hear him.
1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27 But I keepunder my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Can Paul be a castaway? Was he joking or being sarcastic? i guess not. Someone that is called like Paul, the gifts and the calling of God, a castaway? Even John the beloved said to " Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. ' We need to be careful as not to take verses out of context and end up careless. Watch.

Rom 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Notice the first two verses. Mercy through unbelief, mercy through mercy. It is wonderful, the depth of the riches of the wisdom of God and of His mercies of course. The Psalmist drills it into our ears for good, "His mercies endure forever". i find it strange how anyone would not tap into and access God's mercies. Can you imagine, somebody will come and say he is not sure if God will have mercy on him, because God said "I will have mercy on who I will have mercy". Well, you are that WHO/WHOM, good news. Mercy is everywhere, front, back, left, right, up, down, enduring forever. Goodness and MERCY shall follow me, EVERY DAY of my life. Blessed are the merciful, they shall obtain mercy. What a promise! Whosoever, wherever, whoso confesseth and forsaketh his sins shall have mercy. Through somebody's unbelief, the Gentiles obtained mercy, imagine!! In the future too, the Israelites will obtain mercy through Gentile's mercy. There is mercy and pardon available for you. There's room, Psa 57:10 For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.

Rom 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counselor?
Rom 11:35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Nobody knows the mind of God, we need to constantly seek it. God is great, and greater than our logics and reasonings. He has given us all things and deserves our all. Let's try to understand God, growing in the knowledge of God. Let's not throw our hands up in the air hastily and conclude against God. We are the ones with something to lose, God has nothing to lose.

Psa 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.
Isa 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.

Take up the billions of men, low degree high degree no degree. add them together, they are a lie. One lie, not even two. Lighter than vanity, that is more useless than nonsense. take all the nations of the world, the UN, WHO, UNESCO, UNICEF, G7, G* etc. they are as a drop of a bucket. In other words, they are irrelevant, a very little thing. Consider the size of the universe, and of the solar system, and of one man. And you think you're all that. And God better prove Himself to you, or reveal Himself,else He is a wicked God or whatever. You are dancing at the gates of destruction. You are not being real. Who hath first given to Him? What can you give Him, poor as you are? People argue about giving to God. Their lives, their time, their material, their possession. It's unfortunate to even argue about. God is the Owner of all things, to Him be glory forever. Amen.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by shdemidemi(m): 8:56am On Oct 30, 2014
Mr Image,

What gift was Paul referring to when he said - 'God's gift are without repentance'?

Because, if he is speaking as regards the gospel of Jesus Christ and the gift of righteousness bestowed on all sinners who will believe, it will be out of place to conflate that with Saul, Adam or anyone outside the domain of God's grace through faith.

We can see clearly that the penultimate verse gave us an idea of the period been spoken about- there is a gospel and the gospel people is everyone that is part of the church.

28 As concerning the gospel,

In other words, this gift of God Paul was speaking about is within the confines of the gospel of Jesus Christ predicated upon His death and ascension.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by shdemidemi(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2014
Romans 11: 30-31

I am quite shocked at the points made up there as regards these verses. You have totally cut away from the story and the picture Paul was painting to teach about God's mercy. God is truly merciful, but these verses are intricately linked with the previous verses and shouldn't be isolated to teach something else, especially when a verse to verse approach is what you are employing.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 4:32pm On Oct 30, 2014
shdemidemi:
Mr Image,

What gift was Paul referring to when he said - 'God's gift are without repentance'?

Because, if he is speaking as regards the gospel of Jesus Christ and the gift of righteousness bestowed on all sinners who will believe, it will be out of place to conflate that with Saul, Adam or anyone outside the domain of God's grace through faith.

We can see clearly that the penultimate verse gave us an idea of the period been spoken about- there is a gospel and the gospel people is everyone that is part of the church.

28 As concerning the gospel,

In other words, this gift of God Paul was speaking about is within the confines of the gospel of Jesus Christ predicated upon His death and ascension.

i tried to explain that the gift primarily referred was the gift and promise of salvation.
Re: Salient Points From the Epistle to the Romans by Image123(m): 4:33pm On Oct 30, 2014
shdemidemi:
Romans 11: 30-31

I am quite shocked at the points made up there as regards these verses. You have totally cut away from the story and the picture Paul was painting to teach about God's mercy. God is truly merciful, but these verses are intricately linked with the previous verses and shouldn't be isolated to teach something else, especially when a verse to verse approach is what you are employing.

Like i said, this is not exactly a commentary in the sense but a picking out of points perhaps not so obvious at first read. Seems i said that already.

Looking back, i even said similar at the first line of the OP of this thread. "It is not exactly a commentary, verse by verse, neither is it a summary. It is a work pointing out salient points to the contemporary reader and Christian.".

Also here, i said "Like i initially said, the thread(my posts in the thread) are not exactly a commentary, but just a pointing out of salient points from the book. It is not exactly a complete interpretation or explanation of the passages like in commentary style."

i noticed that it was the same YOU that i said that too, what is wrong with you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor Creflo Dollars Changes Mindset On Tithes ! / Music: Oba Aseda ~ Tope Alabi / What Are The Differences Between Roman Catholics And Protestants?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.