Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home (42408 Views)

Learn How To Make Yoghurt In Small Scale Or In Factory Size / Learn How To Make Yoghurt. / How Can One Make Yoghurt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by UptrendCrafts: 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2017
Thanks so much.But how does make the drinking youghut?Thanks.
Do we just add water?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by UptrendCrafts: 8:33pm On Feb 11, 2017
Thanks so much.But how does one make the drinking youghut?Thanks.
Do we just water?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Superrman: 5:03pm On May 04, 2017
It's been long I tried this recipe. I got it from a family friend but it worked.

1. mix 2 glasses of milk to 1 glass of boiling/hot water and stir in a bowl or container
2. Add 1 to 2 spoons of white sugar (optional I think)
2. Add one or two spoons of an existing (flavorless) yogurt to the mix and stir (this acts as a culture/bacteria that helps in making the yoghurt)
3. Put in a bowl with cover and put in a food warmer for several hours (if at night, leave it overnight in the warmer)
4. Open the next day. it will look and feel thicker. Stir and refrigerate.
You can also add honey to taste and eat with fruit.

Try it and let me know how it works for you. It really isn't difficult and I'm surprised no one has put up a recipe.

Here's a link from the web as well. It also has pictures so you can follow step-by step: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt

The more you do it, the better you get and the more you can tweak it the way you want. I hope this helps
Pls where can i get bacterial/culture or kefir grain in lagos. Thanks
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by madgoat(m): 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2017
breadplanet:
8. Pour hot water into a cooler ( as hot as you can bath with without wounding yourself).
9. Put the bowl of warm milk into the cooler, if it floats hold it down with something ( i use breakable bowls).
10. Cover tightly and leave to incubate for at least 8hrs (they write 4hrs on the yogurmet satchet but trust me that is not enough).
11. U can check after like 5hrs to see if d water had cooled down considerably. If it has top it off with hot water (but i dont bother with this when i incubate overnite). Pls don't jolt the bowl.
12. After 8hrs open the bowl and bend it a bit u'll see that d yogurt has set.
13. Refrigerate immediately without turning it for like 2 to 4 hrs but if u want to eat immediately put it in d freezer for at least 1 hr b4 eating.
NOTE: one satchet of yogurmet is for 4cups of milk which you'll get with dis recipe.
PLEASE dnt finish the yogurt o i know its sweet but dis one as far as im concerned is just the starter for subsequent yogurts. I just use small white nylon and tie as much as possible (4tablespoons each) put in a container and into the freezer.
Then whenever i feel like yogurt i just take one nylon and start the process all over again just dat now i mix in the yogurt not the powdered culture.
This time around it takes just 5 to 6 hrs for the yogurt to set i just leave it longer for as much as 12hrs depending on how sour i want it. And with each nylon (4tablespoons) i use 4cups powdered milk to 8cups water.
It's long i know but once u get the hang of it its quite easy.
Happy yogurt making!

Nice one. Please where is yogormet normally sold? Is it from people that sell baking ingredients?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:03pm On Jul 01, 2017
madgoat:

Nice one. Please where is yogormet normally sold? Is it from people that sell baking ingredients?
Yes
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cynhamscakes(f): 8:21pm On Jul 09, 2017
BreadPlanet thanks alot for the explanations above.

I recently started making homemade yoghurt and to be honest its fun seeing the end result after the 12hour wait.

The person who i learnt about it from said its 1cup of milk to 3cups of water and and that's what i have been using.

Also the culture used is this fulani Nono milk drink.

The only thing i noticed is that it really doesn't get thick, trying just creamy .

I will send some pics.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cynhamscakes(f): 8:24pm On Jul 09, 2017
The second picture above is the incubated yoghurt after 12hours.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cynhamscakes(f): 8:27pm On Jul 09, 2017
Someone recently suggested that i boil Fulani nono milk and then add fresh unboiled one as the culture.

What do you think?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
cynhamscakes:
BreadPlanet thanks alot for the explanations above.

I recently started making homemade yoghurt and to be honest its fun seeing the end result after the 12hour wait.

The person who i learnt about it from said its 1cup of milk to 3cups of water and and that's what i have been using.

Also the culture used is this fulani Nono milk drink.

The only thing i noticed is that it really doesn't get thick, trying just creamy .

I will send some pics.
Hi. it's not thick because it has been over diluted. for really think yogurt stick to 1cup milk to 2cups water. Another thing that is making it light is the nono you are using as starter. it's weak that's why. whenever I use starter frm the 3rd batch upwards it gives a light yogurt.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2017
cynhamscakes:
Someone recently suggested that i boil Fulani nono milk and then add fresh unboiled one as the culture.

What do you think?
I don't know this one o. methinks if you boil it you have killed d small live cultures that is remaining
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 8:10am On Jul 11, 2017
Here's a picture of mine. That's the culture I use for d first batch. You see how thick the final yogurt is? I'll still try dat Hausa nono with a little milk cos I've not seen that culture anywhere around me yet.

3 Likes

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cynhamscakes(f): 6:38pm On Jul 17, 2017
breadplanets:
Here's a picture of mine. That's the culture I use for d first batch. You see how thick the final yogurt is? I'll still try dat Hausa nono with a little milk cos I've not seen that culture anywhere around me yet.

Thank you for your response.

Its really thick. Do you stir it before refrigerating it?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 7:12am On Jul 18, 2017
cynhamscakes:

Thank you for your response.
Its really thick. Do you stir it before refrigerating it?
No
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Charlieeh(f): 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2017
Thanks and God bless you real good. @breadplanets, I followed your recipe using yogurmet and powdered milk, the result was simply awesome!!!!!!!! soooooooooo creamy and smooth. I didn't even expect such great result when i started off, in fact Farmfresh and Habib are learning...LOL. I got the yogurmet from a shop at ojota where they sell baking ingredients and other chemicals for making soap. I saved some of the yogurt i made for subsequent batches and they take a shorter time to set. I just pour the warm milk mixed with the yogurmet into large empty eva water cans and emerse in a cooler filled with warm water and cover for 6 hours or more depending on how sour i want it to be.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 6:28pm On Jul 19, 2017
Charlieeh:
Thanks and God bless you real good. @breadplanets, I followed your recipe using yogurmet and powdered milk, the result was simply awesome!!!!!!!! soooooooooo creamy and smooth. I didn't even expect such great result when i started off, in fact Farmfresh and Habib are learning...LOL. I got the yogurmet from a shop at ojota where they sell baking ingredients and other chemicals for making soap. I saved some of the yogurt i made for subsequent batches and they take a shorter time to set. I just pour the warm milk mixed with the yogurmet into large empty eva water cans and emerse in a cooler filled with warm water and cover for 6 hours or more depending on how sour i want it to be.
Yeaaaa I'm so happy! The end product is always awesome. Try adding a tin of condensed milk while heating the milk for a sweeter version. I'll check where u said for the starter. The tin don dey hungry me since
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by ibizgirl(f): 7:53pm On Jul 19, 2017
@breadplanet, thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Saw the yogurment at Ojota today for 1,000 per sachet, do I use it all for 2 cups if milk. And the milk is it the powdered milk they sell in bag?

Thanks
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 7:43am On Jul 20, 2017
ibizgirl:
@breadplanet, thanks so much for your detailed explanation. Saw the yogurment at Ojota today for 1,000 per sachet, do I use it all for 2 cups if milk. And the milk is it the powdered milk they sell in bag?

Thanks
1ķ per satchet!!!!? Chineke! But are u sure it's not 2 satchets inside d small pack? cos it's usually 2. anyway before I forget your question. yes one satchet is for 2 CUPS powdered milk and 4 cups water. yes any powdered milk will do. I enjoy using 3 crowns powdered milk. Enjoy
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Olanna45(f): 6:11pm On Jul 21, 2017
@Breadplaneta. olease i am a bit confused at the word starter. please how do you mean using the the yourghrt as starter.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 2:16pm On Aug 09, 2017
Breadplanets thanks for the information. I couldn't get the yogourmet around me, when I asked around, my neighbour told me I could use chilli pepper stem and warm milk

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
thatsincerechic:
Breadplanets thanks for the information. I couldn't get the yogourmet around me, when I asked around, my neighbour told me I could use chilli pepper stem and warm milk
shocked for real pls do and tell me the outcome. and which one is chilli stem pepper abeg. No knowledge is lost
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2017
breadplanets:
shocked for real pls do and tell me the outcome. and which one is chilli stem pepper abeg. No knowledge is lost
The stem of chili pepper. But this is not chili pepper's stem. I used all, I just uploaded this pic so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2017
thatsincerechic:

The stem of chili pepper. But this is not chili pepper's stem. I used all, I just uploaded this pic so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about
ok so how is it used? whole or blended or what?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2017
breadplanets:
ok so how is it used? whole or blended or what?
whole, just drop it into the warm milk, don't stir
I used 8
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by dhabeautyjas(f): 6:11pm On Aug 09, 2017
thatsincerechic:
I used 8

Wow.
For how long should i leave it
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 6:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
thatsincerechic:
I used 8

Biko show me the yogurt whn it's ready
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2017
dhabeautyjas:
Wow. For how long should i leave it
for as long as 13-24 hrs because you are trying to make a starter.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 7:14am On Aug 10, 2017
Breadplanets it's ready... Yummy!
Taste like mayonnaise Co's it doesn't have a sour taste.
The first batch I'm going to make with this is going to be cultured for a longer time so I can get the sour taste.
Now, I'm going to preserve this and use as a starter for my first batch���

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 10:46am On Aug 10, 2017
thatsincerechic:
The first batch I'm going to make with this is going to be cultured for a longer time so I can get the sour taste.
Inukwa!! I actually googled it and it's true. I read that subsequent batches happen faster and also gets sour. Hmmm ngwanu pepper yogurt here I come

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:32am On Aug 10, 2017
thatsincerechic:

Nice job. I've actually read bait using chilli stems to culture yoghurt.

Please which one did you use? Is it the rodo or tatashe kind? Thank
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 8:14am On Aug 11, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

Nice job. I've actually read bait using chilli stems to culture yoghurt.

Please which one did you use? Is it the rodo or tatashe kind? Thank
i used the green chili, the one for friedrice
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:58pm On Aug 11, 2017
thatsincerechic:
i used the green chili, the one for friedrice

Are you for real sis? The big green pepper?
Gosh! I'm shocked!

Did you wash/rinse the stems before dipping in the warm water milk?

I was browsing YouTube for yoghurt made with chilis and came across one that was prepared using green chilis but the long thin ones.

We keep learning everyday.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by thatsincerechic(f): 1:46pm On Aug 11, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

Are you for real sis? The big green pepper?
Gosh! I'm shocked!

Did you wash/rinse the stems before dipping in the warm water milk?

I was browsing YouTube for yoghurt made with chilis and came across one that was prepared using green chilis but the long thin ones.

We keep learning everyday.
thats the one I used, not the big fat ones

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are You Eating/Drinking Right Now? / I Cooked Hot Rice And Stew For ₦ 700 As A Single Guy / Secret To Party Jollof Rice- Lets Discuss The Secret To Cooking Party Jollof :-)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.