Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,388 members, 7,808,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. (17353 Views)

Photos Of Ongoing Anambra Flyover Bridge / Auwal Saad, A Nigerian Soldier Killed By Boko Haram Members On Tuesday (Pic) / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Garrithe1st: 11:18am On Jun 21, 2013
RedBenson: O boy that flyover looks real poor and when i say poor, i mean 'POOR' compare to Akwa Ibom own

Akwa Ibom my A55.....

A state where Akpabio built no sensible school or hospital.. Abeg park well with ur Akwa Ibom bull5hit!!

Why not go and post pics of the the schools, hospitals n Waterworks project of Akpabio on d threads Eko Ole opened?? Instead of showing us pics, you folks were crying and bleating like in a way that reminds of lactating goats...

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:22am On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju:

I laugh... Tribalism has no play here. This is purely constructive criticism..

This is an example of what progressive states are building;

Go big or go home.. No time for mediocrity..

[img]http://transformationwatch.files./2013/03/uyo-sweet-2.jpg[/img]

All that needs to happen to Ibadan for that bridge to become a nightmare is for one Governor to bring in policies that boosts the economy of the State and by default infulx of people into the stat and then GBOSAAA!! Traffic nightmare..

This is a new bridge in Akwa Ibom.. Honestly, the state does not need something this big at the moment, but I dont think the Governor expects his state to remain small for too long..

[img]http://www.uncommontransformation.tv/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/articles/flyover_0.jpg[/img]

dude, it's easier to develop a village than a city. Much cldnt be done at mokola. If u av to pay for compensation to achieve the above, u won't even be left with a dime to construct a thingy! It's different wen u jes bulldoze a few mud houses and some elehant grass.

That shld be a clue to why the capital of Nigeria was moved to abuja where u can plan properly!

4 Likes

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:23am On Jun 21, 2013
Red-Light:
okija the bridge looks exatcly like this.

[img]http://transformationwatch.files./2013/03/uyo-sweet-2.jpg[/img]

I dont know, may be there are no professional photographers in Ibadan to take nice pictures

Really!!

If that Mokola bridge a one way bridge, seeing as there is no road divider on it cos if it is, then I apologise for my previous posts..

But if thats a 2-way flyover, with no divider, one lane, arghh!! I see a catastrophe in the making!

One lane bridges remind me of Rumuola and CFC bridges in Port-Harcourt.. Oboy! I never knew that flyovers could worsen an already bad traffic situation.. grin

SO looking at Ibadan.. Which is one of the Top 5 cities in Nigeria after Lagos, Port-Harcourt, Abuja, Kano, I just feel the government should be thinking way ahead..

So I'm sitting in my hotel room, over looking the skyline of Lagos city and I ask myself, wasnt this state developed by Nigerians, why cant other states be like this or even half like this.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Mccullum: 11:24am On Jun 21, 2013
Mr akwa ibom, just try to reason, u know that building of bridge will be determine by the terrain in wildness, lenght etc, a place without buildings will be more easier to construct bridge of the govt choice than where there are many erections, if what Oyo state governor did by desroying some houses in ancient city of Ibadan I commend him for the boldness, both Akwa Ibom & Oyo governors will approach the development projects with situation of the terrain. do you know that it was reconstruction of parks caused massive protest in Turkey, so that's one of the challenges to replan & modify main city in any country. and if the populace can appreciates what their governor did for them don't say that it's waste of money.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:28am On Jun 21, 2013
SLIDE waxie: dude, it's easier to develop a village than a city. Much cldnt be done at mokola. If u av to pay for compensation to achieve the above, u won't even be left with a dime to construct a thingy! It's different wen u jes bulldoze a few mud houses and some elehant grass.

That shld be a clue to why the capital of Nigeria was moved to abuja where u can plan properly!

I figured that would be an excuse.. well, so what do we do when Ibadan blows up like Lagos?! Move the state capital to Ori ile or what?!

Omo I have been to ibadan.. Break down those houses jor.. The compensation if genuine is not that much.. angry Those old houses with rusted zinc roofs abi?! In Rivers State, the Governor is doing the exact same thing..

If development must come, the old must make way for the new. If the state is broke, then the government shouldnt be building bridges but rather looking at ways to improve the economy of the state.
Omo!! We need to take an aggressive approch to things in this country. No time to waste time. angry

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by ba7man(m): 11:37am On Jun 21, 2013
While i commend Gov Akpabio for his infrastructural initiative by constructing roads but i noticed the roads are mostly empty or being plyed by tricycles and bicycles in rural areas. What should come first?? Man-power development, Infrastructural development or attraction of industries in the state?? I belive he needs to tackle the remaining 2 with the same verve he's tackled road construction.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 11:45am On Jun 21, 2013
Pedagogue: .@ Okija Ojuju aka Mr. Constructive critic, I read your posts and I find your posts very irreconcilable !!!

In 1 bit u said the bridge is a "waste of Ibadan's scarcely available money" and that they should build for the future and not today- AFTER SAYING THAT IBADAN (Oyo State) does not have money, don't you think the bridge is the best the govt can construct with its "scarcely available money " ?

In another bit,u said the state will witness population explosion if a govt with good economic policies come to the fore..and this will render the bridge useless because of traffic nightmare- MY BRODA, HAVE U EVER BEEN TO IBADAN? DO U EVEN KNOW WHY D BRIDGE WAS CONSTRUCTED IN D FIRST PLACE? I think many Niaralanders just post without knowing what they are talking about!!!

@ the pictures of Akwa Ibom, those bridges and roads are superb! In fact, d picture overawes the mokola bridge in question!!! But do u think that's what the state urgently needs! Well, im glad u at least agree that the state does not need "something that BIG at d moment". I stand to be corrected on this- AKWA IBOM IS THE LARGEST EXPORTER OF HOUSEMAIDS AND SECURITY MEN IN NIGERIA! Infact, my maid and security man are from there!!! Are these people in their beautiful 'bridge and flyover constructing city' ? The answer is NO!!! They are all in the small flyover and 'rural like bridges states' like Oyo State - doing Yes Ma and Yes Sir!!!

My point is, u cannot expect Oyo State to give what it does not have!!! D state does not have d big allocation that Akwa Ibom receive...and so cannot give what it cannot afford!!! But if we are to judge Akwa Ibom State (for instance) and the present Oyo state govt based on meeting the yearnings and aspirations of the ppl on the basis of the resources of the states and needs of the people, oyo state govt wud WIN flatly !!!

Beautifully said..

So again, lets look at this as a simple debate and not allow our emotions turn things sour here.

SOoooo! Oyo State has little money especially when compared to Akwa Ibom.. #Undisputable. But this is my point. at some point, bigger roads would be needed. Even in this Makola area. then the demolition we didnt do today a 5 naira, we would do it tomorrow at 10. Maybe, the government could have gone out on a limb, paid the compensation, pushed the houses back, expanded the existing road by an additional 2 lanes on each side and allow a future government build the flyover. Many states borrowed the monies with which they are working in their states. If we keep using this allocation excuse, then states like Kebbi and co are eternally doomed I guess. Meaning we should never expect any real development from states outside the Niger Delta, the industrous states in the East like Anambra, Abia, Imo (for Egbema oil money) and maybe Ebonyi (for agriculture), then some Agriculturally active northern and Middle belt states.

Dude! This is 2013.. Such excuses should be chucked in the bin. Even the U.S sef they borrow money to do work. If Oyo is that Poor, sign a 50 year BOT agreement with a company or bank that will finance the project. Lagos is doing it, RIvers is doing it, Akwa Ibom is doing it, and still these states have money, so why cant Oyo do it?!

My guy find another excuse. All they have done is create more work for the future generation of Oyo. Ibadan is a state capital for christ sake. If better development enters Oyo, it will start from Ibadan. Now a future generation will have to look for a way to pay more to demolish and compensate (based on the time value of money), then think of how to either build a new flyover around this one or demolish and re-build which will still cost more all because the present generation were myopic to see a big future for the state. Rivers State is suffering from such now.. If only the past governments knew that Port-Harcourt would grow bigger than Borokiri and extend as far as Obigbo today, maybe they would have done alot of things differently. Now the money Rivers State has spent of Demolitions and compensation is enough to make 2 Local government areas enjoy dual carriage ways in all streets, nooks and crannies.

Ask any Port-Harcourt inhabitant about Rumuola flyover.. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Tonbrazeal(m): 11:51am On Jun 21, 2013
Nice move

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by MostIncredibleDFirst: 11:52am On Jun 21, 2013
SLIDE waxie: dude, it's easier to develop a village than a city. Much cldnt be done at mokola. If u av to pay for compensation to achieve the above, u won't even be left with a dime to construct a thingy! It's different wen u jes bulldoze a few mud houses and some elehant grass.

Shut d fvck-up dia n stop justifying MEDIOCRITY. Wat is d total radius or circumvance of d so-called "flyover"? How many buildin wil hav bin affected if dere was nid 4demolition within dat circumvance? Wat type of buildin are standing there? Are they shanties, n shacks which are d prototype of Ibadan city? or are they skyscrapers?
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by TonySpike: 12:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju:

My guy find another excuse. All they have done is create more work for the future generation of Oyo. Ibadan is a state capital for christ sake. If better development enters Oyo, it will start from Ibadan. Now a future generation will have to look for a way to pay more to demolish and compensate (based on the time value of money), then think of how to either build a new flyover around this one or demolish and re-build which will still cost more all because the present generation were myopic to see a big future for the state. Rivers State is suffering from such now.. If only the past governments knew that Port-Harcourt would grow bigger than Borokiri and extend as far as Obigbo today, maybe they would have done alot of things differently. Now the money Rivers State has spent of Demolitions and compensation is enough to make 2 Local government areas enjoy dual carriage ways in all streets, nooks and crannies.

For saying the bolded, I think I agree with you at last. Strategic planning is killing governance in Nigeria. We don't make provisions for the future. This is quite funny because these same politicians steal government money for their future generations
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 21, 2013
Its long over due, I don't know why it's being closed long after it's completion!

I wish I could take pictures of what ajimobi is doing on eleyele/aleshinloye/jericho road, you'll realise that akwa ibom isn't so special, well, soon enough sha you'll see the roads.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by TonySpike: 12:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
MostIncredible.DFirst:
Shut d fvck-up dia n stop justifying MEDIOCRITY. Wat is d total radius or circumvance of d so-called "flyover"? How many buildin wil hav bin affected if dere was nid 4demolition within dat circumvance? Wat type of buildin are standing there? Are they shanties, n shacks which are d prototype of Ibadan city? or are they skyscrapers?

So according to you, demolitions should be undertaken because the buildings bear similitude to shanties? Have you forgotten that human beings like you and me reside in those buildings?
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
MostIncredible.DFirst:

Dude you have no idea. I can assure you that the amount of buildings that will be affected will build three more of this flyover.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by MostIncredibleDFirst: 12:38pm On Jun 21, 2013
django1:

Dude you have no idea. I can assure you that the amount of buildings that will be affected will build three more of this flyover.
Mtsheeeeew!
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by funshint(m): 12:48pm On Jun 21, 2013
Those who hv not been on that road and shouting Akwa ibom dis...Akpabio dat should pls keep shut! For those who are familiar with d terrain of that place; its a developed area. There U̶̲̥̅̊ hv d Head office of Wema Bank, Head office of Tantalizers, Mr Biggs, Scoops, 3 big filling stations, LG complex and some other big building. If d Gov is to demolish those buildings; d compensation might jerk up d cost of construction by about times3 or 4 of d initial cost. So d decision taken was indeed a wise one. Besides d flyover is of acceptable and good standard. If U̶̲̥̅̊'re not satisfied U̶̲̥̅̊ can tk a trip there and if U̶̲̥̅̊ can't pls kindly hug transformer!
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by 1shortblackboy: 12:54pm On Jun 21, 2013
OKIJA THE JUJU PRIEST IS RIGHT sad
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by coalcoal1(m): 12:57pm On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju: I still insist that this flyover was a waste of Ibadans scarely available money..

A one-lane flyover/bridge and road in 2013 is only fit for rural areas not Urban areas and certain rural areas that would soon be swallowed up by urbanization..

Build for the future not for today..

There's nothing absolutely wrong with the size of the bridge. The two bridges around ikeja bus stop are also single bridges. Quit hating
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Anvaller: 1:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju:

Beautifully said..

So again, lets look at this as a simple debate and not allow our emotions turn things sour here.

SOoooo! Oyo State has little money especially when compared to Akwa Ibom.. #Undisputable. But this is my point. at some point, bigger roads would be needed. Even in this Makola area. then the demolition we didnt do today a 5 naira, we would do it tomorrow at 10. Maybe, the government could have gone out on a limb, paid the compensation, pushed the houses back, expanded the existing road by an additional 2 lanes on each side and allow a future government build the flyover. Many states borrowed the monies with which they are working in their states. If we keep using this allocation excuse, then states like Kebbi and co are eternally doomed I guess. Meaning we should never expect any real development from states outside the Niger Delta, the industrous states in the East like Anambra, Abia, Imo (for Egbema oil money) and maybe Ebonyi (for agriculture), then some Agriculturally active northern and Middle belt states.

Dude! This is 2013.. Such excuses should be chucked in the bin. Even the U.S sef they borrow money to do work. If Oyo is that Poor, sign a 50 year BOT agreement with a company or bank that will finance the project. Lagos is doing it, RIvers is doing it, Akwa Ibom is doing it, and still these states have money, so why cant Oyo do it?!

Ur criticism is positive and constructive. It is just that some ppl here, no matter how u try to make them see the reality in ur criticism, they will still feel the need to go all the way to defend ACN. Meanwhile, should we as a ppl feel any need to defend any party or our own interest collectively as a people? It should be us (the people) against them (the politicians) irrespective of parties unless every Nigerians are politicians.

Now if u look at the bridge, it should be a dual lane bridge considering the traffic pressure of Mokola and our apparently increasing population. But then I understand that they made it that narrow because they didnt want to demolish properties. If that is the case, I may cut them some slack but then there is a problem, They are claiming that this bridge is a multi billion Naira project, this is where I have a problem... People are not discussing that, they are defending politicians... how can this less than one kilometer single lane fly over be multi billion naira. So if they spent that much, why is the bridge not double lane? why cant they demolish and compensate from the multiple of billions they spent?

Well God will help Nigeria but Nigerians themselves should stop thinking like politicians when they are not. Defend ur interest not that of politicians. U will never hear Americans defending any politician over their own interest even with the level of accountability in that country.

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by jiffylibra: 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2013
I think the governor should have built something like that of Molete. Molete is also a very busy place but the bridge there is better than this newly built one despite the fact that it was built in the 70s. Anyway, i agree with people who said most governors are not embarking on strategic planning for the future. So, in a nutshell, this is todays's flyover and its not meant for the future. If they are to build for the future, that will reduce the amount they want to steal from state coffers.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Gbawe: 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2013
Is it not amazing it is always non-stakeholders hyperventilating angrily the most on these sort of threads while end users themselves are happy with what is delivered? Can these mischief-maker not appreciate that their insecurity and inferiority complex is glaring with how they always immediately and automatically begin talking of Akwa Ibom and other places on these threads?

Who is childish and unintelligent enough not to understand that Paris and London do not have to be the same as long as Parisians and Londoners are respectively happy with their cities?

Who turns every single topic into a d1ck-comparison contest except an insecure and inadequate person?

If family man makes a big show of claiming he is happy and that what he has is the best, why is he always talking about the wife and kids of his neighbour and looking over the fence into their property? Secure, fulfilled and happy people live and let live.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by dabrake(m): 1:17pm On Jun 21, 2013
Gov. Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State says the Mokola flyover would be open for use on Tuesday after the formal inauguration of the multi-billion project.
come on, multi-billion naira project?
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:23pm On Jun 21, 2013
dabrake:

Check this post out:

Dotman01: Guy read this:
OYO TO DUALIZE 5 ROADS WITH
N29.3B
The Oyo State Government has
awarded the contract for the
dualization of five major roads that
cut across the state, at the total cost of N29.3 billion.
The construction of the roads was
announced at a joint news
conference at the end of the
weekly executive council meeting
in Ibadan on Monday. The news conference was jointly
addressed by the state
Commissioner for Information, Mr.
Bosun Oladele, his Works and
Transport counterpart, Alhaji Yunus
Akintunde, as well as Special Advisers on Media and Information
and Orientation, Dr. Festus Adedayo
and Gbolagade Busari respectively.
According to the state government,
the roads include the four-
kilometre Ibadan-Oyo Expressway/Iseyin-Oyo Junction to
Owode, as well as the expansion of
the 2.5 kilometre Owode-Akesan-
Palace Road and the sectional
repair of a 3.8-kilometre portion of
the old Ibadan-Oyo Road at the cost of N7,785,840,123.47.
Another project, the government
said, included the dualization of the
6.32-kilometre Ilorin Expressway
Junction-Ikoyi-Takie-Palace-
Ogbomoso Grammar School in Ogbomoso at the cost of
N5,695,147,363.60.
The contract for the dualization of
the 6.2-kilometre Ibadan-Oyo-
Iseyin Junction-Iseyin/Okeho
Junction Road in Iseyin was also awarded by the state government
at the cost of N6,092,448,322.40 to
take care of the major entry to Oke-
Ogun zone of the state.
The dualization of the 7.4-kilometre
Dugbe-Magazine-Eleiyele Road with spurs to Aleshinloye-Onireke/
Agbarigo Road in Ibadan was also
awarded by the state government
at the cost of N7,066,762,166.86.
The state government also said that
its executive council had approved the construction of the dilapidated
Ijokodo-Apete Road, with its
associated two bridges, including
the Apete bridge whose contract
was revoked earlier, at the cost of
N2,649,420,593. The state Information
Commissioner said that the
projects, all of which would be
completed within the next 18
months, were in fulfillment of the
Ajimobi administration’s promise that entrances to major towns and
cities would be dualized to enhance
access.
The Commissioner for Works also
explained that the contract sums
for all the affected roads were inclusive of cost of compensation to
those whose properties would be
affected, relocation of facilities such
as water pipes, electricity poles and
telecommunication facilities, as well
as cost of consultancy.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2013
Gbawe: Is it not amazing it is always non-stakeholders hyperventilating angrily the most on these sort of threads while end users themselves are happy with what is delivered? Can these mischief-maker not appreciate that their insecurity and inferiority complex is glaring with how they always immediately and automatically begin talking of Akwa Ibom and other places on these threads?

Who is childish and unintelligent enough not to understand that Paris and London do not have to be the same as long as Parisians and Londoners are respectively happy with their cities?

Who turns every single topic into a d1ck-comparison contest except an insecure and inadequate person?

If family man makes a big show of claiming he is happy and that what he has is the best, why is he always talking about the wife and kids of his neighbour and looking over the fence into their property? Secure, fulfilled and happy people live and let live.

I believe you are the one taking this into another sphere all together..

This is a thread.. Where we all share ideas.. Debate, argue and discuss..

The darn bridge has been built.. All we are doing is analysing what was done.

Remember that we are all gonna pay for these constructions one way or another.. I think everyone is allowed to air their views. This is not political, purely analytical.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by jaybee(f): 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2013
RedBenson: O boy that flyover looks real poor and when i say poor, i mean 'POOR' compare to Akwa Ibom own

your comment betrays your lack of understanding and hence warped disposition.

firstly, do you know the design considerations that gave rise to this bridge?

secondly does the bridge serves is intended purpose?

thirdly ibadan is different from uyo.

in terms of financial resources, the two states are completely incomparable; akwa-ibom state has much more resources and less channels of legitimate resource allocation.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Okijajuju1(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2013
As Oyo ACN, PDP bicker over Fly-over Bridge
POSTED ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 31ST, 2013

•Photo: Ajimobi .Akala .Ladoja

By Oladele Ogunsola, Correspondent Ibadan

The on-going construction of Mokola Round About Flyover Bridge, Ibadan, Oyo State, being undertaken by the administration of Governor Abiola Ajimobi has been observed to be unique since the creation of the state from the then Western State on February 3,1976. It has been argued that the bridge under construction was not the first of its kind in the state. However, the one at the Iwo-Road/Lagos-Ibadan-Ilorin express way interchange, other over-head bridges like the ones at Queen Cinema in Adamasingba, Sango and Bodija Market constructed by military administrations were mainly for pedestrians unlike the one under construction. Ironically, both bridges at Sango and Bodija Market had been demolished in order to pave way for better development. While that of Sango was demolished by the administration of Senator Rashidi Ladoja during the dualization of the Mokola-UI-Ojoo Road, the one at Bodija Market was just demolished by Ajimobi to give the area face-lift.

Though, still under construction, Ibadan residents and the visitors are already excited at the beauty being bestowed on the area. Some express their enthusiasm with praises and accolades for the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN)-led administration in the state.

Some, incidentally see construction of fly-over bridges, as part of ACN agenda in some of the states under its control. This is especially against the backdrop of the first of such, Lalubu-Ibara-Totoro having been commissioned in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital by Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, recently. It has been said that similar construction would take place in the State of Osun under Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola.

While Ibadan residents envisage the aesthetic value the Mokola, Ibadan flyover bridge would accord them, the cost of the construction of the edifice has been a source of controversy between the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the ruling ACN in the state. Taking a cue from the recently commissioned bridge in Abeokuta, the Oyo State chapter of the PDP has gone to town to accuse the Ajimobi-led administration of over inflating the contract sum of the Mokola Round-About over-head bridge.

In a release signed by the PDP Publicity Secretary in the state, Lukman Agboluaje, he alleged that there was wide gap between the cost of the bridge being constructed in Ibadan and one commissioned in Abeokuta. The release reads: “Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party has raised alarm over the wide gap in the cost of constructing the less than one kilometer Mokola Round About overhead bridge that the state government says it is costing it N2.5billion and the 2.5 kilometer Lalubu-Ibara-Totoro overhead bridge which was widely reported to have cost Ogun State government N1.5billion. The party’s Publicity Secretary wondered how a bridge of lesser span which is not up to one kilometer could cost 60 percent more than another of 2.5kilometer length constructed almost at the same time and in a similar physical terrain. The party reiterated its call for the domestication of Freedom of Information (FoI) Act, saying, “it will not be out of place to suspect that the construction cost has been grossly inflated”.

PDP went further to say that “since the financial activities of the ACN government are shrouded in secrecy, nobody can rule out the possibility of their having inflated the contract. It is only when the government operates in a transparent environment where interested citizens can verify the actual cost of a public work that such suspicion can be removed”. Agboluaje further asked the ACN government to provide information on how the 33 local government monthly allocations are being spent, by whom and for what purpose? This, according to him “is pertinent, as allocation at this level is expected to be used to promote the welfare of the grassroots people. Such money could be used to build modern, but affordable shops for the masses whose shops and other means of livelihood are being demolished and to create sustainable employment for the teeming masses rather than being used to award shady and bogus contracts such as planting of flowers and inflation of public works”.

ACN, the ruling party in the state has however not taken kindly to the PDP remarks over the Mokola Round-About project, describing the opposition party as suffering from ignorance on road construction. Its Publicity Secretary, Dauda Kolawole in his release lamented what he called “road construction illiteracy” of the state chapter of the PDP and maintained that it was this lack of knowledge that affected the state while the party was in the saddle. He remarked that the comparison on the cost of construction of the Ibadan Fly-over Bridge being constructed by the state government with the one commissioned in Ogun State recently should not have resulted into attacking Governor Ajimobi and accusing him of over-inflating the contract sum if not for jaundiced judgment on the part of the opposition party.

According to the ACN spokesperson, “the PDP should be ashamed of itself for having imposed its naivety about road/bridge construction on the generality of the people. We are awe-struck that a political party could advertise its naivety this shamelessly. What the PDP ought to have done was to demand the details of the two bridge constructions in both states and the details would have shocked it and avert this shameless plunge that it has made. The truth of the matter is that, the bridge that was commissioned in Ogun State is 400 meters in length, while the one being constructed in Oyo State is 640 meters. In addition, part of the Oyo State contract in the construction of the over-head bridge which distinguishes it from that of Ogun State, is that, apart from the wide differences in their lengths, the inclusion of provision of ancillary facilities to the bridge also mark them apart. These include construction of roads on both sides of the bridge, rehabilitation of adjoining roads to the bridge, drainage works on both sides of the roads of the overhead bridge, beautification of the length of the road, landscaping and street-lighting”.

It added; “It is apparent that the PDP is too illiterate to understand these facilities-rolled-into-one in the construction of the over-head bridge. For instance, the upgrading of all the adjoining roads of the walk-ways is included. This also includes a standard one-meter-by-one-meter reinforced concrete drainage. In the history of the PDP reign in Oyo State, it never had a road construction of that quality. It is lamentable that a party which claims to be in the opposition does not have a clear understanding of its role, had no details of what it wanted to criticize and was merely groping in the dark ‘because of the limitation of its runners’”. The Oyo ACN went further to attack Ladoja for his past comment on the bridge, recalling; “The other day, the Accord Party leader, who is a former PDP leader too, also said that he was the one who dreamt to construct the overhead bridge!

“It is lamentable that there have been several attempts by the PDP and its Accord Party variant, sensing the bridge’s imposing nature and the kudos it has been attracting to the Ajimobi government, to discredit the bridge. However, every attempt they have always made has landed them in greater shame. They had better accepted the fact that the Abiola Ajimobi government is far ahead of them in initiatives and mental grasp of the art of governance”, said the ACN.

A former member of the House of Representatives, Lateef Adebola Alli, while reacting to the cross-fire between the two parties also faulted the PDP, describing its criticism as shameful. The former lawmaker, who is a chieftain of the ACN, noted that the PDP was suffering from lack of sense of remorse. “If with all the money that accrued to the state during the reign of the party, it did not occur to it to do what our party is presently doing, it is just fair to keep its mouth shut. What is more, it is not that one can point to any significant thing the past administration did with the huge amount of money it received, because all what it did started to collapse right before its eyes before it even left office. So, what are we saying? Assuming the past administration diverted the unbudgeted N27bn it got sometime in 2009 or there-about to construction of over-bridges alone, even at the rate the ongoing Mokola fly-over is being constructed, can we have less than 10 across the state?

“But, we should even thank God in the state that construction of Over-head Bridge did not occur to the opposition PDP while in power, as only God knows how many lives would have been endangered, going by its knack for shoddy jobs. There is nothing wrong in criticism, it is even a kind of lubricant that oils the wheel of democracy, but such should be done to advance the cause of development and progress. If the PDP, for whatever reason cannot appreciate or praise our government for doing a good job in permanently resolving the traffic gridlock associated with Mokola Round-About, it should look for better ways of criticizing us. We will continue to pray for our governor and our party to do more for the people of this state while we wish our opponents well as they continue to chase the shadow”, Alli stated

Post Your Comment
Tags: newsflash1
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Olaone1: 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2013
dabrake:

Yes! 2.65 billion Naira lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

^You decide! undecided undecided
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Gbawe: 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju:

I believe you are the one taking this into another sphere all together..

This is a thread.. Where we all share ideas.. Debate, argue and discuss..

The darn bridge has been built.. All we are doing is analysing what was done.

Remember that we are all gonna pay for these constructions one way or another.. I think everyone is allowed to air their views. This is not political, purely analytical.

I think most here know what you are. A bad-belle irritant with no class. A bridge is built in a town. The people, who actually use the bridge, are jubilating and happy because a major traffic headache has been addressed efficiently. An outsider then show up at their Party to be raining on their parade with unobjective and senseless criticism in which he disregards salient and restrictive parameters.

He then seems to want to force unhappiness on them by shoving pictures under their nose of what he insist they must have, that he is enjoying, when they keep repeating that they are pleased with what has been delivered as it serves its purpose very well. Does all that not show said stranger is a bad-belle, uncultured and insecure bushman?

What would be classier, in the spirit of live and let live, than being happy for people who are happy with a positive development in their lives? Please stop the silly pretence of hiding behind constructive criticism.

You have been told a zillion times, from thread to thread, this is a functional bridge delivered to real landscape constraint yet you and others bone-headedly keep spamming with pictures of Akwa Ibom. It is not even just this alone. Whether it is a market or bus scheme Ajimobi et al deliver, you are there always in negativity when stakeholders are happy progress is being seen. That is what marks you out as a nauseating person not possessing enough class to respect that it is the opinion of end users that matters most not yours. If they had complained to you different. Yet this is not and never the case. You are, with you silly, gratuitous criticism and mischief, just a tiresome, hateful, bigoted dude. Those who doubt me can see you, with two examples out of many, in your 'element' below :

https://www.nairaland.com/1316546/oyo-hasnt-borrowed-money-2/2

Okija Juju wrote:
Holy shiiit!!

Someone just asssfucked Oyo state governor..

https://www.nairaland.com/1316468/ibadan-gets-new-market-over

Okija juju: You mean it took them 30 years to build this crap?

Do these Yoruba people realise that we are in 2013!? The era of space travel, super computers, etc.

Even by 1995 standards, this market looks like SHIIT..

1 Like

Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 21, 2013
I have observed some posters here no matter what governors of South West do in terms of development are not always goo but they are so ignorant of what the governors in their region are doing with the resources at their disposal.
Construction of Mokola flyover is a laudable project and I don't any of these critics have a technical knowhow and feasibility compare to the engineers that designed the said flyover
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by stebell(m): 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2013
Jus one single lane fly-over, look @ de way yu peeps frm SW are celebrating it. There was a tym yu peeps in de SW had cocoa etc, ur region was de hub of economic activities, yu govs then didn't do nada. Now yu are here giving me excuse for dis rubbish of a fly over. Eko Ile oya come justify dis rubbish. So because de allocation is small, for dat de govs shudnt do nada abi.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by Gbawe: 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2013
Batam: I have observed some posters here no matter what governors of South West do in terms of development are not always goo but they are so ignorant of what the governors in their region are doing with the resources at their disposal.
Construction of Mokola flyover is a laudable project and I don't any of these critics have a technical knowhow and feasibility compare to the engineers that designed the said flyover

Thank you !!! I don't know what is wrong with some people. End uses are happy with the functional and architecturally- sound bridge delivered yet these non-stakeholders can never be happy for them. They are always the one hyperventilating most angrily and totally out of context considering their non-involvement with SW States.

They will then begin silly, childish and unwarranted d1ck comparison antics even a child knows reveals innate insecurity and feelings of inadequacy. These wasters cannot ever be charitable or gracious. They can only be negative plus consumed with hate and disapproval. At no point does it occur to them that a people who were previously given nada are now seeing progress.
Re: Mokola Flyover Opens For Use On Tuesday, 25th June. by mooregan(m): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
Okija_juju: I still insist that this flyover was a waste of Ibadans scarely available money..

A one-lane flyover/bridge and road in 2013 is only fit for rural areas not Urban areas and certain rural areas that would soon be swallowed up by urbanization..

Build for the future not for today..

U r right!!! I was in Ibadan in December last year and I wondered Y on earth would someone do a one lane flyover In a populous City like Ibadan, its ridiculous.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC: We Stopped Sunday Karim From Traveling Abroad Over Arms Scandal / Mambilla Power Project: 6 Things You Need To Know About The FG Project / Tinubu Not A Magician, APC Did Not Promise ‘miracle,’ Says Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.