Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,737 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent (12623 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) / Nigerians Frustrated At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 22, 2013
@OP, I feel your pain.

Based on other accounts that I have collated over the past 10 years, I am afraid your experience is actually quite common. This is the primary reason why I tried to draw attention to a recent announcement by our legislators, which signaled the intent to carry out on-the-spot checks at some of our embassies - https://www.nairaland.com/1322063/house-reps-carry-out-on-the-spot.

Here is another account provided our folks in Sweden.

Close Down The Nigerian Embassy In Sweden And Stop Wasting Our Nigerian Resources

By Nestyy Felix

On behalf of honorable Nigerians in Finland and Scandinavian at large, we call on the Nigerian Government to close down the Embassy of Nigeria in Sweden and use the money for other efficient service.

An Embassy that cannot provide a simple passport re-issuance service to its citizens abroad is simply worthless and should be shutdown.
It started in January when the embassy visited Finland for a passport exercise they claimed will be with a month. After a 100euros payment of passport fee which was more than the normal official fee ,We are yet to receive any information from the embassy regarding our new passports.

Several call and email messages have confirmed that the embassy is not capable of attending to the needs of its citizen not to talk of welcoming Nordic investors to invest in Nigeria. With their very poor customer’s service down to their long call waiting time, any prospective Nordic investor would look another way.

A potential investor was some few months ago discouraged about investing in Nigeria because of the snail process of acquiring quality information from the embassy. Different staffs at the embassy have different complicating stories to tell about a simple enquiry making it extremely difficult to rely on the embassy’s information for investment and tourism. The embassy has made it impossible for many Nigerians with passport renewal issue get stocked in the Nordics as a valid passport is a primary requirement to travel out of the country. Some Nigerians are beginning to look other directions to seek new nationality because they believe their home country Nigerian have deserted them in times of need. Some Nigerians in Finland have lost their job because they couldn’t provide a valid passport for the renewal of their work permit. How then do we remit money to our motherland Nigerian if we are not able to work because of the inefficient service of the Nigerian embassy in Sweden?

According to a Nigerian who has been nicknamed “the Finland passport man” by the reception at the embassy, “I spoke with the Ambassador himself, a few times before I contacted the Chief of the Passports Office at Abuja who told the truth that NO ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN REGARDING OUR APLICATIONS/PASSPORTS YET.”

Although he ordered them to start the processing, the team leader remains incorrigible of his nonchalant attitude. Absolutely inexplicable!
People who applied for their passport two years ago through the embassy are yet to receive their passport with the excuse that the passport personnel’s didn’t capture their photos correctly. Those that applied in January 2013 are yet to receive their passport for no reason. One must ask if this passport and embassy personnel’s are trained to do their jobs or are they some of those political followers that got compensated with a job position as this is a norm in Nigeria.

Political corruption and negligence has affected Nigerians abroad and we are wondering how then do we become a patriotic Nigerian if Our Nigerian cannot meet our simple basic needs home and abroad.

Signed
Nestyy Felix

Source
Re: Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent by flyforall: 4:03pm On Jun 23, 2013
Stromae: Last month I had to get an endorsement letter from the Nigerian Embassy in Ottawa, Canada to submit to the Canadian government. The document (Driver's License Endorsement) is quite a common request for the embassy as most adult Nigerians require the document to easily drive in Canada. Unfortunately, the document is a devoid of any significant security feature, making it look like something a person could come up with only using his laptop and standard HP printer.

According to the embassy website it should take a maximum of two weeks to receive the document after applying, but in my case it took a whole month, neverminding all that, the real problem was when I finally received the document my name was misspelled. I failed to understand how my own government could screw up their own citizens name in a document intended for foreigners or at all for that matter. The fact that I submitted my passport Info page, nigeria drivers license, Canadian visa, bank draft paying for it, all documents having my correct name on them, also seems to be irrelevant to them.

I submitted the document to the Canadian government as it was, because I was too upset and frustrated to seek a correction. Rather lettting the Canadian Special Investigations Unit look into the document and contact the embassy concerning its authenticity.

It's just amazing that after all the time I've been in foreign countries I have never had any error made on my documents or information and yet the first time I have to do business with a Nigerian embassy abroad it ends up with a serious blunder. My own country!!

My broda no one is above mistake as even the Canadian Embassy makes error in spelling her citizens names on passports.

Maybe you go there they speak phonee(obodo oyibo) instead of being true to your roots.The oga @ the top there is a very nice lady and I can attest to that fact as I got my renewed passport from the ottawa office and got it that same day(no bribe involed as I followed due process online and in person.A smile and kind gesture can go a long way
)
They just need to be shown some extra love and I'm sure they will fix ur problem.I've stayed in CA for 5 yrs and was once a visa holder so I feel ur pain.PELE
Re: Staff At The Nigerian Embassy In Canada Are Incompetent by nath0507(m): 6:59pm On Jun 23, 2013
@ STROMAE, WHERE ARE THEY NOT INCOMPETENT,ITS SAD BUT IT'S WHAT NIGERIAN CITIZENS HAVE TO DEAL WITH. IN THIS MODERN AGE NIGERIA IS STILL CRAWLING ALONG. AND THE VERY SAD THIS IS THAT WE AS NIGERIANS HAVE NO SHAME BECAUSE IF WE DID, HALF OF THE MADNESS THAT GOES ON WILL ALREADY HAVE BEEN CORRECTED. IS IT FIXABLE, YES!!!! BUT HAS TO START FROM THE VERY TOP.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Describe Your First Trip By Air / NRC to test run Lagos-Abeokuta rail line early February / Dubai And South Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.