Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,895 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:13 AM

Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. (2893 Views)

Show Off Your Desktop(windows, Linux, Osx) / Post A Screenshot Of Your Desktop. / Connect Your Desktop Or Laptop To The Internet Using Phone Bluetooth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by Suntemi(m): 3:26pm On May 10, 2008
I noticed that many people want to get connecteed to the internet and need a USB modem, most times companies like Starcomms will always tell you that the modem isn't available. And if it even available its very expensive, Starcomms sells theirs for around 40k while that of Visafone goes for 25k. But the PCMCIA card isn't that expensively.

So the issue is why not just go for the PCMCIA card which is quite inexpensive. That of Visafone goes for 12k and you just need to convert it to work with your Desktop computer. And you can always use your card for laptops as well. All you need are
       1. PCMCIA CARD ( from your sevice provider)
       2. PCMCIA to  PCI ADAPTER

Then you put the Adapter on your Motherboard, your system detects new hardware and drives it. The Adapter has a PCMCIA TYPE II slot where you can insert your PCMCIA Card and connect to the internet.

Thats what I've been using ever since I gave out my USB modem. It works just as if you insert the card into a laptop.
It saves you some money. At least you can use that money for subscription. It actually allow you to do all you can use a laptop PCMCIA slot to do.

Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by tobidaflava(m): 4:46pm On May 10, 2008
Interesting but how?
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by dragnet: 5:08pm On May 10, 2008
I feel like I just read a tutorial written in french . . . undecided
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by uspry1(f): 9:11pm On May 10, 2008
This is not new! It has been done since PCMCIA card with PCMCIA PCI adapter for desktop computer was invented late 1990-2000.

Yes, wireless ethernet PCMCIA card with PCMCIA PCI adapter installed on your desktop computer is another alternative way of internet connection set up as same function as if you hook up ethernet cable wire/cord for wireless/wired router or NIC card. But you DO NOT NEED router/modem where your internet provider send you. Instead of router/modem, your internet provider send you PCMCIA card.

NOTICE>>> PCMCIA PCI adapter for your desktop computer does not include by internet provider. You have to buy PCMCIA PCI adapter from computer village, then opening your computer case to install it manually yourself (or let your engineer/technician install it for you). <<<NOTICE!!!

For most laptop/notebook, you DO NOT NEED TO BUY PCMCIA PCI adapter. Because it is built-in PCMCIA adapter inside your laptop/notebook. Just get PCMCIA card from your internet provider if your laptop/notebook has it own PCMCIA port included.

PCMCIA card takes care of it for you without needing a router and ethernet cable cord.

Still same principle how to set up internet connection after installed PCMCIA PCI adapter and PCMCIA card on your desktop computer that comes with setup CD included.(step by step graphical instruction for beginner who do not know nothing about wireless networking via PCMCIA card.)

Cool! Cool gadget- - -my favorite one! cool  grin
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by Suntemi(m): 9:53am On May 14, 2008
dragnet:

I don't blame really, You know when you were in school You do get to school at 11am and by that time, English class might have ended so if u don't understand, I'm not surprised.

uspry1:

This is not new! It has been done since PCMCIA card with PCMCIA PCI adapter for desktop computer was invented late 1990-2000.

Yes, wireless ethernet PCMCIA card with PCMCIA PCI adapter installed on your desktop computer is another alternative way of internet connection set up as same function as if you hook up ethernet cable wire/cord for wireless/wired router or NIC card. But you DO NOT NEED router/modem where your internet provider send you. Instead of router/modem, your internet provider send you PCMCIA card.

NOTICE>>> PCMCIA PCI adapter for your desktop computer does not include by internet provider. You have to buy PCMCIA PCI adapter from computer village, then opening your computer case to install it manually yourself (or let your engineer/technician install it for you). <<<NOTICE!!!

For most laptop/notebook, you DO NOT NEED TO BUY PCMCIA PCI adapter. Because it is built-in PCMCIA adapter inside your laptop/notebook. Just get PCMCIA card from your internet provider if your laptop/notebook has it own PCMCIA port included.

PCMCIA card takes care of it for you without needing a router and ethernet cable cord.

Still same principle how to set up internet connection after installed PCMCIA PCI adapter and PCMCIA card on your desktop computer that comes with setup CD included.(step by step graphical instruction for beginner who do not know nothing about wireless networking via PCMCIA card.)

Cool! Cool gadget- - -my favorite one! cool  grin

I would not dispute that fact. But You see, if all Nigerians actually know that gadget like this exist, many Nigerians wouldn't be waiting at Starcomms offices to buy the USB Modem that cost around 40k when they can just get the Pcmcia card for an alternative.
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by uspry1(f): 1:52pm On May 14, 2008
sun_temi:

I would not dispute that fact. But You see, if all Nigerians actually know that gadget like this exist, many Nigerians wouldn't be waiting at Starcomms offices to buy the USB Modem that cost around 40k when they can just get the Pcmcia card for an alternative.

@sun_temi

This is educational tool helping Nigerians to catch up with computer trends technology they lag behind.

This is great benefit for Nigerian abroad, who decide to move back to Nigeria, know what to do buying PCMCIA card with PCMCIA adapter on their computer/laptop there more cheaper before leaving US/UK. Those, who know how to configure the networking, will prepare to sign up their own Nigerian internet provider once they settle down in Nigeria. No Problem!!! grin

Also there are lot of Nigerians programmer/developers in Nigeria, who are broadband subscribers, might never thought of this. grin
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by TmeD0(m): 5:32pm On May 14, 2008
dragnet:

Basically what the PCMCIA to PCI adapter does is allow you to be able to use your PCMCIA card on your desktop.  If you already own a notebook, you don't need the adapter---all you need is the PCMCIA card.  Depending how you're conecting (wired or wireless), the PCMCIA card you will purchase will be different.  There are some for wireless connection and some for wired connections including modem (why anyone want to bother buy that beats me). 
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by koseepaaro(m): 12:24pm On May 22, 2008
Wao! Sun Temi, You Have really provided usefull info for Nairalanders. May God bless you.
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 22, 2008
the pcimia card is not compatible with off the shelf modern laptops. you have to buy an ugly adapter to use it with a laptop
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by cooldudeng(m): 8:52am On Jul 14, 2008
how much does the PCMCIA adapter costs?
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by samir101ng(m): 9:39pm On Jul 14, 2008
Hey y'all, i don't know how relevant this is but the pcmcia port in laptop computers has been replaced by the new and more efficient Express Card 34/54 technology. I think most brand new laptops from 2006 onwards have the Express Card 34/54 slot instead of the old pcmcia. Therefore if you buy a pcmcia card from starcomms or multilinks and your laptop has the Express Card 34/54 slot then IT WONT WORK. PLEASE TAKE NOTE.
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by lynxnoon(m): 12:04am On Jul 16, 2008
samir101ng:

Hey y'all, i don't know how relevant this is but the pcmcia port in laptop computers has been replaced by the new and more efficient Express Card 34/54 technology. I think [b]most brand new laptops from 2006 onwards have the Express Card 34/54 slot instead of the old pcmcia. [/b]Therefore if you buy a pcmcia card from starcomms or multilinks and your laptop has the Express Card 34/54 slot then IT WONT WORK. PLEASE TAKE NOTE.
dats d problem most pple r facing wit suscribing to starcomms using laptops
tho my lappy has both pcmcia & express card slots grin grin grin
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by cooldudeng(m): 7:33am On Jul 16, 2008
how much does the PCMCIA adapter costs?
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by JUNE12(m): 9:24pm On Jul 16, 2008
I have researching this since I bought that starcomms internet pcmcia card and could use it on my HP pavillion laptop with express card slot.
The option of buying a simple pcmcia/express card adapter for 25k then angered me ,so I bought another laptop for 85k that has pcmcia slot. Also I later bought a pcmcia/express card adapter for 20k but still could not use it on my HP pavillion laptop as I was told that the adapter does not not run on Vista.
i later bought a used dell desktop with a pcmcia slot which I have not being able to use because it seems that I need a driver for that.
I think that this pcmcia /pci card cost about 4 to 8k
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by cooldudeng(m): 7:55am On Jul 17, 2008
@ June 12 thanks man, why not try searching for the driver online or visit computer village
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by jamace(m): 11:08am On Feb 21, 2012
Abeg, tell me more. Which networks use this?
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by Maleeq(m): 5:00pm On Feb 21, 2012
hmmmmm, @jamace u just resurrected this 4years old thread! Most networks now offer slimmer USB data cards/modems. I doubt any service provider in Nigeria still offers the PCMCIA cards. (I may be wrong though)
Re: Use AirCard on your Desktop Computer. by Suntemi(m): 6:04pm On Feb 21, 2012
Maleeq:

hmmmmm, @jamace u just resurrected this 4years old thread! Most networks now offer slimmer USB data cards/modems. I doubt any service provider in Nigeria still offers the PCMCIA cards. (I may be wrong though)

I don't think u are wrong.

(1) (Reply)

My Cafe's Internet Connection Is Slow / Repair Your Laptop Here,aa Technologies, 11 Otigba Street, Ikeja Lagos / How To Get Static Local IP For My Window 7 Computer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.