Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) (1344 Views)

How Independent Is Nigeria’s Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC? / Fayose Mocks Buhari For Calling INEC Independent Nigeria Electoral Commission / The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Press Statement 9/11/2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by Ashiwaju(m): 11:53pm On May 20, 2006
Is INEC Truly Independent? What do you think about the E-voting System considering the rejection of E-voting in Califonia for its weakness and insecurity? Do you think the Man called Maurice Iwu installed by the OBJ of Today can give us the free and fair election we need in 2007? What do you think about the Electoral bill yet to be passed on the house of Assembly. Can Anyone tell me how else rigging would succeed without INEC?

I really need everyone's opinion on this!

Thanks
Re: Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by Larufa(m): 2:55pm On May 21, 2006
INEC is not and can never be independent, until the method of appointing members is changed and source of funding is made to be directly from the federation account without the presidency dictating to Fed. Min. of Finance when to release the fund.
Re: Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by DaHitler(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2006
I don't think the president can withhold funds from the Inec. The National assembly won't allow him to.
Re: Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by Rottweiler(m): 8:30pm On May 21, 2006
He won't withhold funds from INEC? When EFCC and ICPC are crying for funds? In Nigeria today, the President holds enormous powers. I learnt that in all democracies in the world our presido is the most powerful! He can withhold funds from states, government agencies, etc. There's nothing independent about INEC at all. Its independence is only on paper!
Re: Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by Larufa(m): 6:04pm On May 22, 2006
Rottweiler:

He won't withhold funds from INEC? When EFCC and ICPC are crying for funds? In Nigeria today, the President holds enormous powers. I learnt that in all democracies in the world our presido is the most powerful! He can withhold funds from states, government agencies, etc. There's nothing independent about INEC at all. Its independence is only on paper!

Thanks Rottweiler. This is the simple truth.
The President of Nigeria is just too powerful.
Remember Power corrupt, absolute power corrupt absolutely.

We need to reduce the power and the function of the president.
Re: Independent National Electoral Commision (inec) by JBoy9(m): 11:39am On May 23, 2006
EFCC,ICPC,etc are the president's whips against his political adversaries or anyone who dares to be a prodigal son.As long as there is no absolute checks and balances in our demoCRAZY, INEC,even the Judicial,will be @ the mercy of Mr President, angry

(1) (Reply)

A New Dawn For Ex-biafran Army Officials / Movement For Positive Change / Yardua Died To Save D Nation!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.