Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Controlling Lagos' Borders... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controlling Lagos' Borders... (8262 Views)

Gov. Amosun Controlling Traffic On Lag-ib Rd, King Sunny Ade Stops To Thank Him / Nigeria Closes Land & Sea Borders For Upcoming Elections / Northerners Are Not Controlling Nigeria's Oil Blocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Desola(f): 11:46pm On Jun 23, 2013
Given the daily influx of migrants from other parts of the Niger which have led to an obvious stretch and greater burden on infrastructure, isn't it time that the state of Lagos starts to control it's own borders?

Nevertheless, is this initiative feasible given the freedom of movement rights of Nigerian citizens? If not feasible is the state therefore going to be left to its own fate until it fails or are there other control measures which can be taken to deter or control this surge?

1 Like

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 24, 2013
This should be an interesting thread with thrills and frills. wink
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by redsun(m): 12:44am On Jun 24, 2013
Desola: Given the daily influx of migrants from other parts of the Niger which have led to an obvious stretch and greater burden on infrastructure, isn't it time that the state of Lagos starts to control it's own borders?

Nevertheless, is this initiative feasible given the freedom of movement rights of Nigerian citizens? If not feasible is the state therefore going to be left to its own fate until it fails or are there other control measures which can be taken to deter or control this surge?

When you mentioned niger,i thought you meant niger republic.Not even become rich will be this wayward.

3 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Desola(f): 12:46am On Jun 24, 2013
redsun:

When you mentioned niger,i thought you meant niger republic.Not even become rich will be this wayward.

Your point being?
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by aljharem(m): 12:53am On Jun 24, 2013
It is really impossible given the fact that Lagos is under a country called Nigeria.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Desola(f): 12:57am On Jun 24, 2013
alj harem: It is really impossible given the fact that Lagos is under a country called Nigeria.

Is it, really? Isn't Lagos equally a sovereign state? If it has power to remove unproductive non-indigenes like it did some ibo indigenes then surely, it can be suggested that it possesses the power to control it's borders, non?
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by kelvincoll(m): 12:59am On Jun 24, 2013
Given the daily influx of migrants from other parts of the Niger which have led to an obvious stretch .....

U probably should have titled it "controlling southwest borders" since the victims of ur concern as those "from the other part of the niger"... SMH

After we complain how Naijans are treated bad in other countries like South africa etc when we share same -ve attitude towards pple from a different tribe here. Recall the said influx of persons has increased the IGR via taxation etc which provides funds for better infrastructure in the same lagos

betterstill U could also help drum support for their long agitation for seperation from the nigerian state.

11 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by amarilo: 1:06am On Jun 24, 2013
Well its nice if Lagos establish embassy in Kano. Anambra, Delta, rivers, Kaduna, Ogun and others. Meanwhile Amb Hon. Desola should be stationed at Niger bridge to issue visa on anybody that want to have a holiday or business in Lagos. Especially those with Arewa, Biafra or Ekiti passport.

Dayokano and Eko ile with Ogbomosho passport beware.

8 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Desola(f): 1:08am On Jun 24, 2013
kelvincoll:

U probably should have titled it "controlling southwest borders" since the victims of ur concern as those "from the other part of the niger"... SMH

After we complain how Naijans are treated bad in other countries like South africa etc when we share same -ve attitude towards pple from a different tribe here. Recall the said influx of persons has increased the IGR via taxation etc which provides funds for better infrastructure in the same lagos

betterstill U could also help drum support for their long agitation for seperation from the nigerian state.

... But it has gone far beyond the imaginary igr now, hasn't it. Clearly, the revenues generated is not sufficient to cater for the teaming population and the constant daily influx is becoming alarming. Lagos is the smallest state in the country yet it houses so many people and all these people though not invited to Lagos are now dancing rights to basic amenities and infrastructures which is impossible to be met by the state government.

The sad part is come census, these people return to their states to be counted which translates to undue revenue allocation for their state government yet return to Lagos to encroach us, the bonafide citizens .

1 Like

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 24, 2013
Controlling Lagos/SW borders would be like controlling the Mexican border. Everybody wants in.... wink

1 Like

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by aletheia(m): 1:19am On Jun 24, 2013
Desola:
Is it, really? Isn't Lagos equally a sovereign state? If it has power to remove unproductive non-indigenes like it did some ibo indigenes then surely, it can be suggested that it possesses the power to control it's borders, non?

Lagos is not, and was never a sovereign state. You really ought to get an education like someone suggested and get to know the meaning of "country".

The most painful part, is that genuine, bonafide Lagosians don't espouse this sort of rubbish, only wild-eyed ethnic bigots like you.

13 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Nobody: 1:23am On Jun 24, 2013
The Constitution of Nigeria gives every Nigerian to reside in any state in the country he/she chooses. Lagos is developed with the resources of Nigerians and can not survive without Federal Income.

6 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Katsumoto: 1:33am On Jun 24, 2013
I am for controlling the growing population in Lagos but not along ethnic lines. The best way to accomplish this task is along economic lines. Lagos has to reduce the size of the underground economy; Fashola has made good progress in this regard.

Then it should introduce taxes intended to discourage immigration to it's borders. For instance, residents who have been paying taxes for 10 years should pay 25% income taxes while new immigrants should pay 35%. This can also be applied to all other consumer and business taxes. The additional revenue can be used to maintain recurrent expenditure, which would be higher given the burden on infrastructure by new immigrants. Mind you, this tax would apply to all, including those from other SW states. Residents can also be issued cards which can be used to consumers at source. Again 10 plus year residents can pay 12% VAT while new immigrants pay 17%.

Lagos can also enter into a partnership with Ogun to build residential estates in Ogun and provide rail between Ogun and commercial centers in Lagos. Businesses can also relocate plants and industrial parks to Ogun leaving Lagos with just office space.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Katsumoto: 1:37am On Jun 24, 2013
Billyonaire: The Constitution of Nigeria gives every Nigerian to reside in any state in the country he/she chooses. Lagos is developed with the resources of Nigerians and can not survive without Federal Income.

Why do you come of as ignorant? Which Lagos was developed with Federal money? You chaps continue to confuse Lagos Island with Lagos State? Was Lagos not a center of commerce for at least 150 years before it was made capital by the Brits? Did Lagos collapse when OBJ withheld revenue due to Lagos? Does Lagos not generate revenue which goes to the central government?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by aletheia(m): 1:45am On Jun 24, 2013
Katsumoto: I am for controlling the growing population in Lagos but not along ethnic lines. The best way to accomplish this task is along economic lines. Lagos has to reduce the size of the underground economy; Fashola has made good progress in this regard.

Then it should introduce taxes intended to discourage immigration to it's borders. For instance, residents who have been paying taxes for 10 years should pay 25% income taxes while new immigrants should pay 35%. This can also be applied to all other consumer and business taxes. The additional revenue can be used to maintain recurrent expenditure, which would be higher given the burden on infrastructure by new immigrants. Mind you, this tax would apply to all, including those from other SW states. Residents can also be issued cards which can be used to consumers at source. Again 10 plus year residents can pay 12% VAT while new immigrants pay 17%.

Lagos can also enter into a partnership with Ogun to build residential estates in Ogun and provide rail between Ogun and commercial centers in Lagos. Businesses can also relocate plants and industrial parks to Ogun leaving Lagos with just office space.

Your suggestions on a differential tax regime are impractical, discriminatory and run counter to the rights of Nigerians to reside anywhere in Nigeria. If you lie down with dogs, then you will get up with fleas. Your often association with ethnic bigots is beginning to cloud your objectivity. The best way to stem immigration to Lagos is to ensure good governance and the expansion and diversification of the economies of other states, not to erect walls whether physical or virtual.

Also you need to recall that rural-urban migration is a worldwide phenomenon. People always gravitate to major urban centres and so the problem of Lagos is also the problem of Kano, also the problem of Abuja, also the problem of Port Harcourt.

But you already know this, which is why it's so disappointing seeing you making common cause with ethnic jingoists, whose views are often laced with hateful diatribes.

7 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Katsumoto: 1:53am On Jun 24, 2013
aletheia:

Your suggestions on a differential tax regime are impractical, discriminatory and run counter to the rights of Nigerians to reside anywhere in Nigeria. If you lie down with dogs, then you will get up with fleas. Your often association with ethnic bigots is beginning to cloud your objectivity. The best way to stem immigration to Lagos is to ensure good governance and the expansion and diversification of the economies of other states, not to erect walls whether physical or virtual.

Also you need to recall that rural-urban migration is a worldwide phenomenon. People always gravitate to major urban centres and so the problem of Lagos is also the problem of Kano, also the problem of Abuja, also the problem of Port Harcourt.

But you already know this, which is why it's so disappointing seeing you making common cause with ethnic jingoists, whose views are often laced with hateful diatribes.

Was it necessary to resort to ad hominem attacks? Why can't you let the merit of your position speak for itself without trying to gain an advantage? Clearly you didn't completely read my post but decided to attack me nonetheless.

How can Lagos ensure good governance in other states? Doesn't that sound asinine? Can Lagos make other states select sound administrators? Did you read anything in my suggestions which prevents other Nigerians from residing in Lagos? Who picks up the tab unequal and unfair migration which places a strain on infrastructure? Don't all EU citizens have a right to reside anywhere within the EU? Why then are France, Ireland, Italy, etc deporting roma gypsies?

Why are there different fees for out of state residents and state residents in the US? Wouldn't you argue that is also discriminatory? Don't people who live outside the congestion zone in London pay more than those who live within the zone?

7 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by bloggernaija: 2:00am On Jun 24, 2013
It is time for other states /cities to step up .
I think port harcourt has stepped up a little
Ogun state has been sleeping forever due to her proximity to Lagos .though I have to give it to the current governor for upping it a lil bit.
Places like Kano ,Ibadan,Enugu ,jos ,kaduna have gone to the dogs .every single one of these cities absolutely depend on allocation from Abuja even though they have everything required to be self -sustaining .
Aba is another basket case.aba ought to be controlling the entire economy of the southeast including those of the following SS state sakwa ibom ,cross river,bayelsa and rivers.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by tpia5: 2:10am On Jun 24, 2013
other states /cities should step up

true that.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by iykak47: 2:15am On Jun 24, 2013
Rubbish. Op(nairaland number one bigot), don't forget also to tell 'your' Lagos state to stop going cap in hand to Abuja for monthly allocation which mainly comes from oil.
Anyway i don't blame you, wise men speak because they have something to say but f00ls speak because they have to say something.

2 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by YoshiMaster: 2:15am On Jun 24, 2013
Katsumoto:

Was it necessary to resort to ad hominem attacks? Why can't you let the merit of your position speak for itself without trying to gain an advantage? Clearly you didn't completely read my post but decided to attack me nonetheless.

How can Lagos ensure good governance in other states? Doesn't sound asinine? Can Lagos make other states select sound administrators? Did you read anything in my suggestions which prevents other Nigerians from residing in Lagos? Who picks up the tab unequal and unfair migration which places a strain on infrastructure? Don't all EU citizens have a right to reside anywhere within the EU? Why then are France, Ireland, Italy, etc deporting roma gypsies?

Why are there different fees for out of state residents and state residents in the US? Wouldn't you argue that is also discriminatory? Don't people who live outside the congestion zone in London pay more than those who live within the zone?

Much respect for this post Katsumoto-san.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Desola(f): 2:21am On Jun 24, 2013
iykak47: Rubbish. Op(nairaland number one bigot), don't forget also to tell 'your' Lagos state to stop going cap in hand to Abuja for monthly allocation which mainly comes from oil.
Anyway i don't blame you, wise men speak because they have something to say but f00ls speak because they have to say something.

You appear to fall in the category of the latter.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by aletheia(m): 2:26am On Jun 24, 2013
Katsumoto:

How can Lagos ensure good governance in other states? Doesn't sound asinine? Can Lagos make other states select sound administrators? Did you read anything in my suggestions which prevents other Nigerians from residing in Lagos? Who picks up the tab unequal and unfair migration which places a strain on infrastructure? Don't all EU citizens have a right to reside anywhere within the EU? Why then are France, Ireland, Italy, etc deporting roma gypsies?

In what way did I attack you? I only stated my disappointment in how your views have changed or are changing. If you doubt me, why don't you compare your posts these days to those of earlier years and see if you don't sound more intolerant now of other ethnicities.

As to your suggestions, exactly how do you hope to enforce a differential tax regime such as the one you propose? Such a proposal must fall at the first constitutional challenge. So in your system of differential taxes, a person resident in Lagos for 5 years is an out of state resident, while those who have resided in Lagos for 10 years are considered state residents? You know that is not how it is defined in the US that you try to use as an example, so that is a fatally flawed example.

Your attempt to use the London congestion charge, I believe, is another flawed example. Nothing actually stops Lagos state from introducing such a charge, if it doesn't already exist, but to attempt to tax Nigerians for exercising their fundamental right to reside in Lagos is the unconstitutional.

No where did I suggest that Lagos is responsible for ensuring good governance etc in other states, but I also pointed out that urban immigration is not just the problem of Lagos but also of other major urban centres in the country. Thus, the solution must of necessity be a supra-state one, not the sort of knee-jerk, asinine solutions being suggested by bigots. For, example the push towards SW regional integration is one such potential solution to slowing the migration into Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Katsumoto: 2:49am On Jun 24, 2013
aletheia:
In what way did I attack you? I only stated my disappointment in how your views have changed or are changing. If you doubt me, why don't you compare your posts these days to those of earlier years and see if you don't sound more intolerant now of other ethnicities.

As to your suggestions, exactly how do you hope to enforce a differential tax regime such as the one you propose? Such a proposal must fall at the first constitutional challenge. So in your system of differential taxes, a person resident in Lagos for 5 years is an out of state resident, while those who have resided in Lagos for 10 years are considered state residents? You know that is not how it is defined in the US that you try to use as an example, so that is a fatally flawed example.

Your attempt to use the London congestion charge, I believe, is another flawed example. Nothing actually stops Lagos state from introducing such a charge, if it doesn't already exist, but to attempt to tax Nigerians for exercising their fundamental right to reside in Lagos is the unconstitutional.

No where did I suggest that Lagos is responsible for ensuring good governance etc in other states, but I also pointed out that urban immigration is not just the problem of Lagos but also of other major urban centres in the country. Thus, the solution must of necessity be a supra-state one, not the sort of knee-jerk, asinine solutions being suggested by bigots. For, example the push towards SW regional integration is one such potential solution to slowing the migration into Lagos.

First, the proper thing to do if you find a post offensive is to call it out. You didn't do that, instead, you are making references to posts in weeks/months gone by that may or may not offensive. That surely is juvenile.

Second, how is it unconstitutional to have a layered tax system? Where in the Nigerian constitution does it outlaw a layered tax system? Are you pulling laws out of thin air? If you disagree, then provide the part of the constitution that prohibits that. I didn't state that those who have resided in Lagos for 10 years or more be considered residents and that others be considered out of state residents. Attempting to draw rigid parallels between Lagos and an example I gave is ludicrous. The example of out of state residents in the US paying more than state residents was just an example to demonstrate a layered form of taxation.

Third, taxation doesn't stop anyone from exercising their fundamental rights. If I stated that the higher taxes be levied against non-yoruba, then you may have a point. Clearly you don't understand the purpose of taxes and policy. In this case, Lagos has a problem and Lagos must find a solution. Governments use taxes to achieve different aims. For instance, governments choose to levy no taxes on zones that they wish to grow/develop. For instance Russia has approx 16 economic zones with little or no tax geared towards attracting foreign investors. Chile gives grants to start ups in a bid to attract business folks. Would others outside those zones not argue that they are being discriminated against?

Fourth, the OP is wondering what Lagos can do to stop immigration and in your response to me, you stated that the best way to stem immigration is for good governance in other states. How can Lagos accomplish that?

Fifth, there can be more than one solution to a problem and every unique problem requires a unique solution. It is for Lagos to choose the best solutions to its problems.

This could have a been a very good debate but you had to seek an undue advantage right from the start and spoil it. Please take no offense if I choose not to respond to you on this thread.

5 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by Katsumoto: 2:49am On Jun 24, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Much respect for this post Katsumoto-san.

Thanks
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by aletheia(m): 3:05am On Jun 24, 2013
Katsumoto:
First, the proper thing to do if you find a post offensive is to call it out. You didn't do that, instead, you are making references to posts in weeks/months gone by that may or may not offensive. That surely is juvenile.
I guess I was a tad too abrasive and aggressive. I sincerely apologize for that. I found the OP offensive and I suppose I displaced the aggression on to you.

But I must disagree with you that Lagos by itself and on its own can control immigration into Lagos state through a system of taxation, no matter how creatively structured. Again the examples from Chile and Russia are about using taxes to encourage investment and economic growth, not to restrict migration. Any solution to rural-urban migration must involve other states.

I suppose we will have to agree to differ. Have a nice day.
Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by talktimi(m): 3:12am On Jun 24, 2013
This topic has been bandied around in different flavors on NL for some time now & i believe the main goal is to kick igbo's out of the state no matter how our amiable op decides to disguise her reasons. So for peace to reign, lets support OP to push for the creation of the federal republic of Lagos state. Abi wetin una want make i talk ?

3 Likes

Re: Controlling Lagos' Borders... by nku5: 3:12am On Jun 24, 2013
Desola: Given the daily influx of migrants from other parts of the Niger which have led to an obvious stretch and greater burden on infrastructure

I've heard about how the influx of people into Lagos is a burden on state infrastructure. Its a bit of a grey area for me. Could any one shed more light on this?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Thought Obi Was Twitter President Until I Reached INEC Office / Nigeria Medical Students' Association President Killed In Nurtw Attack. / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.