Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,146 members, 7,780,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:26 AM

Seeming Contradiction In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seeming Contradiction In The Bible (737 Views)

The Biggest Contradiction In Christian Nigeria / Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools / Superficial Errors And Contradiction In The Bible New Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Seeming Contradiction In The Bible by paulipopo(m): 12:16am On May 13, 2008
There is this seeming contradiction I came across sometime ago in the bible.

Jesus Christ once said that of all men born of a woman that there isn't anyone greater than john the baptist whereas the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than john the baptist.

1. Now by implication, John the baptist is greater than Abraham and all the prophets since they were all born of women.
2. Jesus Christ also told a parable of a certain rich man and Lazarus. They both died and one went to heaven-Lazarus- the other the rich man went to hell. Also that the rich man now in hell saw Lazarus in Abraham's bossom in heaven.

Let us assume that Abraham was the least in the kingdom of heaven, he would be greater than John the Baptist since the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than John the baptist. But Abraham was also born of a woman meaning that Johm the baptist is greater than Abraham.

My questions are;

1. Was Jesus Christ implying that Both Abraham and John the baptist are greater than each other?
2. Could the term "greater than" as used by Jesus Christ mean something else other than what it sounds like?
3. Was Jesus Christ trying to puzzle his disciples with his teachings?
4. or could there be some other explanation for this?

I would really appreciate your comments on this

Thank you all and God bless.

Paul,

Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: Seeming Contradiction In The Bible by kolaoloye(m): 1:19pm On May 13, 2008
MATTHEW 11
10  For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

11  Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist:
        notwithstanding he that is least in  the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

12  And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

13  For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14  And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

15He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Here, Jesus was talking about the commission,that is the great work(assignment) given to John,to prepare the way before the REDEEMER (Jesus)
vs. 10
10  For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
He was telling us that no other assignment greater than that has ever been given to any man.

Also this place is talking about THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN not on heaven itself. KINGDOM is a form of government.
Kingdom of heaven is talking about rulership/government of heaven.
Abraham was not part of the kingdom i.e rulership of heaven.The kingdom of heaven has GOD as the father,
JESUS as the son,and the HOLY SPIRIT as the helper/guidian(Comforter)

My dear,there is no contradiction here.May the Lord help us to finish the race according to His will. amen
Re: Seeming Contradiction In The Bible by mukina2: 3:50pm On May 13, 2008

(1)

The Bible Forbids Women From Being Pastors / Church Leaders / What Shall We Tell The Children? / Knowing The Mind Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.