Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? (3878 Views)

Laptop Plugged In But Not Charging / Leaving Your Laptop Plugged In Harms Its Battery? / Help! My Laptop Plugged In But It's Not Charging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 26, 2013
Hello Nairalanders. Pls is it best advised to leave the laptop plugged in, even when the battery is fully charged. Just curious to know if i'm not damaging my battery. Helpful response needed pls.
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by deeobserver209(m): 8:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
No. As soon as your laptop battery is fully charged, remove it from the mains. And when it's low again say about 25 percent plug it on again. This helps to prolong battery life. Keeping your laptop plugged over several hours will weaken the battery over a short time.
https://mymoneyonlineblog./
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by physise(m): 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
no its very bad it can cause damage to ur charging port on d motherboard
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 27, 2013
thanks very much
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by dljbd1(m): 10:42am On Jun 27, 2013
Not while playing games sha! What I do if I want to play games is to detach my battery and plug my lappy directly to light. But you know you got to have a good gen or inverter to do this cos of PHCN unpredictability. smiley
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by vicshownero(m): 6:15am On Jun 28, 2013
u mean its bad to be leave it plugged for like 9hours? coz i normally do that all the time,but what i heard is that the laptop will start using the power directly from the mains once the battery is full so no need to unplug when the battery is full!please clarify
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 28, 2013
vicshownero: u mean its bad to be leave it plugged for like 9hours? coz i normally do that all the time,but what i heard is that the laptop will start using the power directly from the mains once the battery is full so no need to unplug when the battery is full!please clarify
exactly wat i thought as well
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by dljbd1(m): 11:35am On Jun 28, 2013
vicshownero: u mean its bad to be leave it plugged for like 9hours? coz i normally do that all the time,but what i heard is that the laptop will start using the power directly from the mains once the battery is full so no need to unplug when the battery is full!please clarify
You mean you leave the system on for 9hours straight? COOL cheesy
The idea is that:
1. you should drain the battery once a while to about 25% and charge it back (like twice a week).
2. if the system is not in use, disconnect it once it is fully charged. I personally do not border to charge mine when
I'm not going to be around to monitor it, because with the kind of light NEPA gives (depending on where you live
anyway) you can't afford to leave it charging while you go out on parols...so disconnect before you leave and
continue the charging when you are around to monitor it.
3. if you know you are not going to use the laptop for over two weeks/months (probably when you plan to travel), detach
the battery from the laptop and keep separately in a safe place.
4. it is not advisable to play games (especially the heavy ones) on battery whether it is connected to electricity or
directly on battery (which is worse). What I do is that if I wanna play a game, I switch off my system, detach the
battery and connect directly to power, then on and play my game. But please, never do this on NEPA light, you know
they are not reliable, so get a good generator (not I-pass-my-neighbour gen) or an inverter before you attempt this.
This is to my own understanding and I stand corrected grin
but my last system was a HP pavilion which I used for over 4 years and I sold it with its original battery which still lasted for its usual 2 hours. So this has been working for me. gratitude

2 Likes

Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by femi4: 11:49am On Jun 28, 2013
dl_jbd:
You mean you leave the system on for 9hours straight? COOL cheesy
The idea is that:
1. you should drain the battery once a while to about 25% and charge it back (like twice a week).
2. if the system is not in use, disconnect it once it is fully charged. I personally do not border to charge mine when
I'm not going to be around to monitor it, because with the kind of light NEPA gives (depending on where you live
anyway) you can't afford to leave it charging while you go out on parols...so disconnect before you leave and
continue the charging when you are around to monitor it.
3. if you know you are not going to use the laptop for over two weeks/months (probably when you plan to travel), detach
the battery from the laptop and keep separately in a safe place.
4. it is not advisable to play games (especially the heavy ones) on battery whether it is connected to electricity or
directly on battery (which is worse). What I do is that if I wanna play a game, I switch off my system, detach the
battery and connect directly to power, then on and play my game. But please, never do this on NEPA light, you know
they are not reliable, so get a good generator (not I-pass-my-neighbour gen) or an inverter before you attempt this.
This is to my own understanding and I stand corrected grin
but my last system was a HP pavilion which I used for over 4 years and I sold it with its original battery which still lasted for its usual 2 hours. So this has been working for me. gratitude
Perfect! You just typed what I have in mind

1 Like

Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by damatolnew: 1:13pm On Jun 28, 2013
Guys, guys.... Please lets iron this battery issue ooo coz i seam to be confused.. Lets say for example i started browsing when my battery power is like 90% and i plugged in my charger and i kept on browsing and downloading films, do you think i should unplug my system once it's full or i should continue charging it even as it's full, having it in mind that you wanna keep browsing and downloading files close to like 10 hours straight.... Or i should keep unplugging when it's full and plug back when it has drained to like 80% again, and keep in mind that u are using nepa light that can off any time.... Guys what's your say to this?
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by femi4: 2:18pm On Jun 28, 2013
damatolnew: Guys, guys.... Please lets iron this battery issue ooo coz i seam to be confused.. Lets say for example i started browsing when my battery power is like 90% and i plugged in my charger and i kept on browsing and downloading films, do you think i should unplug my system once it's full or i should continue charging it even as it's full, having it in mind that you wanna keep browsing and downloading files close to like 10 hours straight.... Or i should keep unplugging when it's full and plug back when it has drained to like 80% again, and keep in mind that u are using nepa light that can off any time.... Guys what's your say to this?
You started on a wrong note. How can you start charging when your battery power level is 90%? Always allow the battery to complete its discharge cycle before charging it again. In other words, allow your battery power level to drop to about 10% i.e when the notification to charge the battery comes up. Charging the battery anyhow and at any battery level disrupt the caliberation of the battery. PHCN inefficiency is not an excuse for you not to do the right thing. That is the reason why we have standby generator or you can pause whatever you are downloading and continue whenever NEPA releases power again

1 Like

Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 28, 2013
damatolnew: Guys, guys.... Please lets iron this battery issue ooo coz i seam to be confused.. Lets say for example i started browsing when my battery power is like 90% and i plugged in my charger and i kept on browsing and downloading films, do you think i should unplug my system once it's full or i should continue charging it even as it's full, having it in mind that you wanna keep browsing and downloading files close to like 10 hours straight.... Or i should keep unplugging when it's full and plug back when it has drained to like 80% again, and keep in mind that u are using nepa light that can off any time.... Guys what's your say to this?

There's nothing confusing about these. Ideally, your laptop battery should be drained to about 10 or 15% after a complete charge irrespective of the source of your power supply be it 'NEPA' or 'Generator', reliable or not reliable.

This idea enhances and prolong the lifespan of your battery.
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by damatolnew: 3:14pm On Jun 28, 2013
I guessed both of you are trying to prevent whats called memory effect since you are against charging the battery when its not drained to 15% but this article here says otherwise, read the first paragraph and let's know what you say about that. http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jun 28, 2013
Don't get it wrong!!! Of course the battery will suffer excessive heating caused by the laptop hardware. cos the current which a direct power will supply is more than what your battery will supply. And that is why it's advisable to drain your battery. You can as well remove the battery totally, and connect directly but for backup purpose I know you wouldn't want to do that.

The process in which energy bypass the battery, directly to the power supply system of the laptop is what wares out your battery.
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by ahmmyreal(m): 2:05pm On Jun 29, 2013
I think the best thing to do is to get a UPS. charge ur battery to %100, remove it from ur laptop and connect directly to ur UPS. then wen NEPA take light you will still get a chance to round up wateva ur doing or pause watever file ur downloading before switching off ur lappy and inserting your ba3 back. then you can continue using ur laptop. hope this helps.
Re: Leaving Laptop Plugged All The Time. How Good Is It? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
such educating replies...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Just Arrived Apple Macbook Pro 13" N100,000 / US USED HP PAVILLON CORE i5 LAPTOP -- 7TH-Sold GEN / ✈✳✅ All Our Available American Used (CORE I7) Laptops From HP To Apple Mac's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.