Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System (2938 Views)

The Atheists Test / Are The Atheists On Nairaland Scared Of Islam? / Have You Scrutinized/criticised Your Belief System Or Do You Just Believe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 10:51am On Jun 29, 2013
Atheism is said to be the belief that God does not exist, if these people(atheists) do not believe in superior being(God), as well as other gods and solely rely on their rationalities, why do they belief in such rationality?

Another question is, what is atheists perspective of awareness and consciousness?

What brought about consciousness in man, was it by innate spirit or by physical realm?

Lastly, is wisdom a physical matter?

1 Like

Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
D sage: Atheism is said to be the belief that God does not exist, if these people(atheists) do not believe in superior being(God), as well as other gods and solely rely on their rationalities, why do they belief in such rationality?

Another question is, what is atheists perspective of awareness and consciousness?

What brought about consciousness in man, was it by innate spirit or by physical realm?

I'm in this one too.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by EvilBrain1(m): 1:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
Atheists believe in what we have evidence for. I don't believe in God because there's no credible empirical evidence that such a being has ever existed.

Atheists believe in rationality because it works. Like Richard Dawkins said: Planes fly, computers compute, drugs work. All the technological and medical advances humanity has ever made have only come about when people apply logic without regard to religion or superstition. Nobody has ever used the information in the bible or Koran to invent anything.

As to our view on consciousness, there is no single atheist view. Consciousness is very difficult to define and we all have different ways of viewing it. Atheism is not a religion and we don't have any fixed dogma or shared world view. We all believe in different things, the only thing we have in common is our refusal to accept religious proclamations without evidence to back them up.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by EvilBrain1(m): 2:23pm On Jun 29, 2013
D sage: What brought about consciousness in man, was it by innate spirit or by physical realm?

Human consciousness came about in the same eat consciousness arose in all other animals. Chimpanzees gorillas and bonobos are also self aware. So are dogs to a lesser extent. In fact, it impossible to draw a line between self aware animals those that aren't. What you find instead is a gradual progression as you from less complex to more complex animals. The difference between a human being and a dog is one of quantity, not of quality.

Humans have a larger, more complex neocortex, so we are smarter, more capable of abstract thought, and more self aware. And that's what we experience as consciousness.

Please note that this is just my opinion and not the general atheist view. There is no general atheist view.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 3:13pm On Jun 29, 2013
Evil Brain: Atheists believe in Haringey have evidence for. I don't believe in God because there's no credible empirical evidence that such a being has ever existed.

Atheists believe in rationality because it works. Like Richard Dawkins said: Planes fly, computers compute, drugs work. All the technological and medical advances humanity has ever made have only come about when people apply logic without regard to religion or superstition. Nobody has ever used the information in the bible or Koran to invent anything.

As to our view on consciousness, there is no single atheist view. Consciousness is very difficult to define and we all have different ways of viewing it. Atheism is not a religion and we don't have any fixed dogma or shared world view. We all believe in different things, the only thing we have in common is our refusal to accept religious proclamations without evidence to back them up.

I doubt if you actually study bible very well. Contrary to your view that nobody has ever used information in the bible to invented anything, the following bible verses could be of help to you;

for instance, Job 28:25 says air has weight. Science confirm that air is about 50 miles thick,exactly the right composition to support life.

Job 22:14 and Isaiah 40:22 gives/tell us the earth is not flat but round,which was later found to be true by Christopher Columbus.

Proverb 16:24 and 17:22 explain psychotherapy.

Psalm 139:13-16 poetically describe the value of DNA molecule in the formation of the unborn child.

Infact there are numerous other verses like that in the bible,just try to read and figure them out. The fact is that, every scientist is inspire at least by something which I believe bible is one of.

Besides, what is so difficult to answer in the last three questions?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2013
Evil Brain:

Human consciousness came about in the same eat consciousness arose in all other animals. Chimpanzees gorillas and bonobos are also self aware. So are dogs to a lesser extent. In fact, it impossible to draw a line between self aware animals those that aren't. What you find instead is a gradual progression as you from less complex to more complex animals. The difference between a human being and a dog is one of quantity, not of quality.

Humans have a larger, more complex neocortex, so we are smarter, more capable of abstract thought, and more self aware. And that's what we experience as consciousness.

Please note that this is just my opinion and not the general atheist view. There is no general atheist view.

Sir, seems you misunderstood the question, I didn't says/asked different between rational(human being) and non-rational animals.

The question is, what brought about consciousness in every living creature?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
Evil Brain:

The question now is, how did consciousness emerged in other animals?
Is it subject to evolution?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by EvilBrain1(m): 4:26pm On Jun 29, 2013
D sage:

I doubt if you actually study bible very well. Contrary to your view that nobody has ever used information in the bible to invented anything, the following bible verses could be of help to you;

for instance, Job 28:25 says air has weight. Science confirm that air is about 50 miles thick,exactly the right composition to support life.

Job 22:14 and Isaiah 40:22 gives/tell us the earth is not flat but round,which was later found to be true by Christopher Columbus.

Psalm 139:13-16 poetically describe the value of DNA molecule in the formation of the unborn child.

Infact there are numerous other verses like that in the bible,just try to read and figure them out. The fact is that, every scientist is inspire at least by something which I believe bible is one of.

Those are all post-rationalizations. It's only after scientists had made all those discoveries using secular logic that Christians went looking for verses that vaguely fit so they could claim that science validates the bible.

Nobody ever thought those verses has anything to do with what you're claiming until secular scientists told us that those things exist. There is not a single example of anything that was first described in the bible and recognized by people before being confirmed by science.

There's a reason why religious people try and use science to give their beliefs some credibility, while scientists never do the same with religion.

And my original statement still stands: Nobody has ever used bible knowledge to invent anything. If you can use biblical principles to invent a new type of biro or something, then we'll talk.

1 Like

Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 8:52pm On Jun 29, 2013
Evil Brain:

Those are all post-rationalizations. It's only after scientists had made all those discoveries using secular logic that Christians went looking for verses that vaguely fit so they could claim that science validates the bible.

Nobody ever thought those verses has anything to do with what you're claiming until secular scientists told us that those things exist. There is not a single example of anything that was first described in the bible and recognized by people before being confirmed by science.

There's a reason why religious people try and use science to give their beliefs some credibility, while scientists never do the same with religion.

And my original statement still stands: Nobody has ever used bible knowledge to invent anything. If you can use biblical principles to invent a new type of biro or something, then we'll talk.

Let assume you were unable to say something about the other questions.

Back to your quoted,I'm sorry to say sir,to me both your original and subsequent statements were sorely based on what you read from scientists works. Have you ever for once try to study personal lives or what inspired the scientists you claimed you know much about?

You mentioned plain fly,computer and the breakthrough in the medical lines, when were those discoveries actually made?

Sir Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Christopher Columbus, Isaac Newton among among many other are believer of God.

So, from where did you established your conclusion?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by mazaje(m): 9:31pm On Jun 29, 2013
D sage:

Let assume you were unable to say something about the other questions.

Back to your quoted,I'm sorry to say sir,to me both your original and subsequent statements were sorely based on what you read from scientists works. Have you ever for once try to study personal lives or what inspired the scientists you claimed you know much about?

You mentioned plain fly,computer and the breakthrough in the medical lines, when were those discoveries actually made?

Sir Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Christopher Columbus, Isaac Newton among among many other are believer of God.

So, from where did you established your conclusion?

Belief in the bible does not mean that the bible is of any use to people that do not subscribe to its stories. . .Non of those scientist you mentioned got any special scientific knowledge from the bible. . .No body can use any knowledge gotten from the bible to invent anything, non has and no will. . .

As for your questions. . .Atheist do not belief in god or gods because god is just an idea that was created by humans. . .No god can be shown to exist on its own any where. .God/gods are only human conception and ideas. . .

As for consciousness I don't know where it came from and will not go about making spurious claims and ascribing it to convoluted man made imaginary beings. . .
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Mudley313: 11:40pm On Jun 29, 2013
D sage:

How can anybody take the rest of what you wrote seriously with the rubbish in bold above...illiteracy is a disease
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Sunglow: 4:38am On Jun 30, 2013
All
dis pple dat dont believe in God,i wounder wat dey will lose if dey do
belive.mayb their pride i guess.God does exit.d bible says God cant deny
Himself even if we do deny Him.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 8:31am On Jun 30, 2013
mazaje:

Belief in the bible does not mean that the bible is of any use to people that do not subscribe to its stories. . .Non of those scientist you mentioned got any special scientific knowledge from the bible. . .No body can use any knowledge gotten from the bible to invent anything, non has and no will. . .

As for your questions. . .Atheist do not belief in god or gods because god is just an idea that was created by humans. . .No god can be shown to exist on its own any where. .God/gods are only human conception and ideas. . .

As for consciousness I don't know where it came from and will not go about making spurious claims and ascribing it to convoluted man made imaginary beings. . .

Hello sir, ideas cannnot just come up itself. According to what I read about those scientists,they were highly motivated/inspired by the words of God, gods or universal spirit.

Yes we know that Atheist do not belief in God or gods. I've seen where a magician turns a stone into egg. I've also heard of rituals money etc. What will Atheist say about that?

Thanks for telling the truth on your view about consciosness. There're some certain things in this world that is beyond human understanding.

1 Like

Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 8:48am On Jun 30, 2013
Mudley313:

How can anybody take the rest of what you wrote seriously with the rubbish in bold above...illiteracy is a disease

Your fellow atheists are responding politely their views on my questions, and you're here calling it rubbish just to show how un-intelligent you are. An intelligent person don't insult someone view but question it.

Tell us your view or remain silent forever!
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Desric(m): 10:44am On Jun 30, 2013
D sage:
And I can bet you that all the above discoveries you claim were not made by scientist based on its proclamation in the Bible but rather through rigorous researches and quest for tangible facts and knowledge.

Maybe you should have said that some discoveries made by scientists were also recorded in the Bible.

Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 30, 2013
Evil Brain:

My man, you didn't answer my question.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Desric(m): 10:48am On Jun 30, 2013
D sage:
And I can bet you that all the above discoveries you claim were not made by scientist based on its proclamation in the Bible but rather through rigorous researches and quest for tangible facts and knowledge.

Maybe you should have said that some discoveries made by scientists were also recorded in the Bible, but it did not in fact provoke or automatically cause the real cause for such discoveries. Mind you that the Bible have not in anyway helped humanity to invent any tangible thing by the scientist.

Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 30, 2013
Desric, what' the matter?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 11:01am On Jun 30, 2013
@Destric, you mixed things together,seems you don't know how to quote. Edit those posts and state your view clearly.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Mudley313: 12:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
D sage:

Your fellow atheists are responding politely their views on my questions, and you're here calling it rubbish just to show how un-intellegent you are. An intellegent person don't insult someone view but question it.

Tell us your view or remain silent forever!

I am unintelligent but you can't even spell the word "intelligent"? For you to boldly state that the earth was discovered to be round, not flat, by Christopher Columbus shows how dull you are; not an insult. Responding to your absurd assertions is actually like responding to a 5 year old; taking totally ambiguous bible verses "after the fact" and finding something in modern science to compare it to is like shooting at an empty wall and drawing a target and bulls eye afterwards; it's easy to take abstract sentences and apply them to completely unrelated subjects

You got all that bullshit verses from "101 Scientific Facts and Foreknowledge" from fundamentalist christian group, Eternal Productions, that usually attempts to demonstrate the credibility of the bible by finding passages that supposedly demonstrate foreknowledge of scientific facts by finding allegorical, metaphorical, and poetic phrases, and then interpreting them to fit their point. All the parts of the bible that are scientifically wrong? Ignored.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by UyiIredia(m): 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
^^^ One day we'll clash again and I'll gladly do so because I'm ready. Till then, enjoy your sport.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Emusan(m): 4:00pm On Jun 30, 2013
Evil Brain: Atheists believe in what we have evidence for. I don't believe in God because there's no credible empirical evidence that such a being has ever existed.

Now you're using science as a back bone for no believing in God. Do you know that some open-minded skeptic scientists have come to conclusion that there's something 'PARANORMAL' about this nature. They said R. Dawkins is too close minded in his research to ignore aspect of paranormal.

If I may ask; what does dark energy make up/ what is happening inside the dark energy?

Atheist do believe that most people that claim God exist lack science, NO! We only try to let you people know that there are things which beyond empirical evidence or prove in this universe.

You miss it here! Informations in some religions book i.e Bible brought expansion of knowledge started from Before the birth of Christ(BC) and After His death (AD), that's why any new thing scientist discover today must be compared with what is written in the Bible.

I thought you stated it earlier that through empirical evidence made you believe that there's no God, how come @bold, do you know now that afterlife has been proving true?

Atheism is a religion and the dogma or share world view of atheist are;
*matter came from energy and energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
*human evolve from ape-like.
*nature consists ony matters (mass and energy) nothing like immaterials.
*God cannot be empirically proved.

Unless if all the above statements are wrong then atheist don't have a world view or believe in any dogma.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Emusan(m): 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2013
Mudley313:
You got all that bullshit verses from "101 Scientific Facts and Foreknowledge" from fundamentalist christian group, Eternal Productions, that usually attempts to demonstrate the credibility of the bible by finding passages that supposedly demonstrate foreknowledge of scientific facts by finding allegorical, metaphorical, and poetic phrases, and then interpreting them to fit their point. All the parts of the bible that are scientifically wrong? Ignored.

@bold-can you quote one verse that is wrong about science in Bible?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 5:46pm On Jun 30, 2013
Mudley313:

I am unintelligent but you can't even spell the word "intelligent"? For you to boldly state that the earth was discovered to be round, not flat, by Christopher Columbus shows how dull you are; not an insult. Responding to your absurd assertions is actually like responding to a 5 year old; taking totally ambiguous bible verses "after the fact" and finding something in modern science to compare it to is like shooting at an empty wall and drawing a target and bulls eye afterwards; it's easy to take abstract sentences and apply them to completely unrelated subjects

Oh my bad! That was a typing mistake.

Back to the topic, my post is absurd assertions? But why can't you simply prove it wrong by your own view and stop throwing insults at poster,bible and other sourses of information?

The fact that yor opinion is contrary to that of another person doesn't make him/her a stupid or kid.

Please learn to control your tongue in this kind of intellectual discussion.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 6:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
Reyginus: My man, you didn't answer my question.

He can't, and he will never answer such a question. It's beyond atheists understanding/intelligence.

Shame on them!
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Kay17: 6:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
D sage: Atheism is said to be the belief that God does not exist, if these people(atheists) do not believe in superior being(God), as well as other gods and solely rely on their rationalities, why do they belief in such rationality?

There is no God and we don't fully understand Consciousness.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Dsage1: 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
Kay 17:

Ok sir, thanks for your contribution.

It's only God that fully understand everything,not even science.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Emusan(m): 7:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
Kay 17:

Kay 17 I don't believe this! Anyway because it's an immaterials(spirit) you can't fully understand it.
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Kay17: 8:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
Emusan:

Kay 17 I don't believe this! Anyway because it's an immaterials(spirit) you can't fully understand it.

What is a spirit? How is it perceived?

D sage:

Ok sir, thanks for your contribution.

It's only God that fully understand everything,not even science.

How did you know that?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Emusan(m): 9:39pm On Jun 30, 2013
Kay 17:

What is a spirit? How is it perceived?

Spirit is an unseen being that can talk, act like forces, possess physical body e.t.c but no blood and water. (human being has spirit)

Whenever someone will perceive
a higher spirit that greater than human's own it will look as if a hug of force descended on the person i.e in case of the Holyspirit nobody can withstand His force, He will surely pull you down. though we have some fake pastors laying there're hands on some people using fake power to make someone fall.
I believe if atheist can look beyond the lies(just try to be open minded) that God does not exist and search for the truth they will surely find God. "Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God".

Like I always say, I believe in science more than some atheist on NL but if not because I've received the baptism of the Holyspirit I might have turn atheist today. I'm not a pastor but I solely believed in the existence of God because I have had personal encountered with Him.

How did you know that?

Human beings are limited in their knowledge like in a case of Consciousness, DNA Information, Origin of Life, Dark energy, and Afterlife they all beyond any human comprehension.

Then truly ask yourself, what makes all these things so hard for human to comprehend despite all the advancement in Technology?
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Mudley313: 4:44am On Jul 01, 2013
Emusan:
@bold-can you quote one verse that is wrong about science in Bible?

Here ya go...

* the bat is a bird (Lev. 11:19, Deut. 14:11, 18)
* some fowls are four-footed (Lev. 11:20-21)
* some creeping insects have four legs. (Lev. 11:22-23)
* hares chew the cud (Lev. 11:6)
* conies chew the cud (Lev. 11:5)
* camels don't divide the hoof (Lev. 11:4)
* the earth was formed out of and by means of water (2 Peter 3:5 RSV)
* the earth rest on pillars (1 Sam. 2:8 )
* the earth won't be moved (1 Chron. 16:30)
* a hare does not divide the hoof (Deut. 14:7)
* the rainbow is not as old as rain and sunshine (Gen. 9:13)
* a mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds and grows into the greatest of all shrubs (Matt. 13:31-32 RSV)
* turtles have voices (Song of Sol. 2:12)
* the earth has ends or edges (Job 37:3)
* the earth has four corners (Isa. 11:12, Rev. 7:1)
* some 4-legged animals fly (Lev. 11:21)
* the world's language didn't evolve but appeared suddenly (Gen. 11:6-9)
* a fetus can understand speech (Luke 1:44)
* the moon is a light source like the sun (Gen 1:16)

Much longer list in this link: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html
Re: Some Simple Questions For The Atheists On Their Belief System by Kay17: 6:34am On Jul 01, 2013
Emusan:

Spirit is an unseen being that can talk, act like forces, possess physical body e.t.c but no blood and water. (human being has spirit)

Whenever someone will perceive
a higher spirit that greater than human's own it will look as if a hug of force descended on the person i.e in case of the Holyspirit nobody can withstand His force, He will surely pull you down. though we have some fake pastors laying there're hands on some people using fake power to make someone fall.
I believe if atheist can look beyond the lies(just try to be open minded) that God does not exist and search for the truth they will surely find God. "Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God".

Like I always say, I believe in science more than some atheist on NL but if not because I've received the baptism of the Holyspirit I might have turn atheist today. I'm not a pastor but I solely believed in the existence of God because I have had personal encountered with Him.
In other words, the best evidence for spirits is within the subjective experience of a few people?

Human beings are limited in their knowledge like in a case of Consciousness, DNA Information, Origin of Life, Dark energy, and Afterlife they all beyond any human comprehension.

Then truly ask yourself, what makes all these things so hard for human to comprehend despite all the advancement in Technology?

That doesn't at all prove the omniscience of God, rather proves man's limited knowledge. So I ask again, how do you know God is omniscient?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Is Truthman2012 / How T B Joshua Inserted Pepper Into A Lady’s Vagina Over ‘fornication’ / It Is Now Legal to Abort A Child At 9 Months In New York. Thoughts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.